• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I really want to know how exactly the regions will be gated. That's like, at the top of my list of things I want to know about this game. It makes a huge difference in how it plays.
You did see the outposts in the trailer, right? The place where you had to go rest at a tent, and craft items by speaking with the shop owner there?

I'm certain that you need to fulfill certain requirements to be able to expand and set up outposts (or as part of the story plot requirements). And because you need the outposts in order to explore within the outposts' designated boundaries of the regions, I guess that you will probably be blocked off with an invisible barrier notifying you not to venture out too far away from the outposts.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even the attempt to spin conversation onto better topics has immediately been killed after one page.
I give up. This website has sunk so low that it's impossible to talk about anything that aren't graphics about a *pokémon* game out of all games there are. It's really sad that going on reddit or twitter gives you a far better level of conversation than what we've had here for about 22 pages. But I guess this is it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You did see the outposts in the trailer, right? The place where you had to go rest at a tent, and craft items by speaking with the shop owner there?

I'm certain that you need to fulfill certain requirements to be able to expand and set up outposts (or as part of the story plot requirements). And because you need the outposts in order to explore within the output boundaries of the regions, I guess that you will probably be blocked off with an invisible barrier notifying you not to venture out too far away from the outposts.

That could make sense. Needing to fulfill a certain requirement to set up an outpost in the next region.

Invisible walls are annoying though.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
game looks neat would like to see some trainers ,though personally it might be hard to top the Sword ones but we'll see.

but even if everyone has said it it really does look like shit all i'm asking is for a mainline Pokémon to look like UNITE , still a little ways away so hopefully it improves even more on that front

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
After rewatching the trailer a few times, I realized that The Pokemon out in the overworld are so..static. They are just plopped together not interacting or doing anything. Like mindless drones pacing back and forth.

I realize this is a big step for GF but considering what's been available and what's been done in today's gaming world...it's a bummer.

I'm certain that you need to fulfill certain requirements to be able to expand and set up outposts (or as part of the story plot requirements). And because you need the outposts in order to explore within the outposts' designated boundaries of the regions, I guess that you will probably be blocked off with an invisible barrier notifying you not to venture out too far away from the outposts.

I don't think that's the case. The outpost with the tent looks more like what you do in Monster Hunter when you're out during an expedition or hunt. You can even go and buy materials to catch mons, rest up and what not.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I promise you that life is much easier if you go through it simply not caring about whether another person likes or dislikes a game's visual style

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Damn. You aren't lying though.

I completely forgot about how BoTW visuals got trashed here for a while.

All while it became the best selling Zelda game as well as the most acclaimed. ;)
People on the forum were complaining about Forza Horizon 5 not being an improvement over Horizon 4 in graphics, even when you put the two side by side and there's a very noticeable upgrade. Sometimes you wonder if people here are just trolling. There's so much to talk about when it comes to Legends, but people really just want to talk graphics, huh.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DBAF5190-1311-4422-A3-B9-1-AA8-E860-BDDF.jpg

Cute that we get a Galarian Weezing reference in a Meiji Era Pokemon, it's perfect :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware of the structure of the Pokemon Company, but the development staff don't have full autonomy over those decisions. Gamefreak can't just say, "We're going to take six years to develop the next Pokemon game." There are expectations of revenue streams that every investor and company involved with TPC have and any sudden loss of that stream needs to be justified.

Nintendo on the other hand is both developer, publisher and platform holder. It can absolutely make a decision to develop a game like Breath of the Wild over the course of 5 - 6 years (and delay it if it's still not what they want) because they're only beholden to themselves (and their shareholders obviously). And if Nintendo does do that, it has countless other revenue streams to keep itself and its staff afloat while they're working on that big project.

They can't just take 6 years, unless they expected whatever they released to sell significantly more than it would taking a shorter amount of time, but they definitely aren't beholden to a yearly release schedule and all interview they've had indicate that they have a fair amount of flexibility in deciding what they want to create next and when.

As for the second bolded point, that's the same for TPC. The Gamefreak games actually represent a relatively small amount of the overall revenue. In fact, TPC had its best year in 2020 despite not having a new game released. Like I keep saying, Pokemon isn't a unique situation. If they decided to take a little longer making games they have PLENTY of other revenue sources to make up for it.

DBAF5190-1311-4422-A3-B9-1-AA8-E860-BDDF.jpg

Cute that we get a Galarian Weezing reference in a Meiji Era Pokemon, it's perfect :)
This lore is all over the place lol. Although it would be cool if they did have some foreign Pokemon and trainers mirroring Japan opening up to the West

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
GF does not and will not feel the need to change anything their doing as long as the games sell and are well recieved.

For all of the anger about SW/SH; from the national dex; the trees; and whatever...game sold well and outside of the vocal minority were well liked.

Until that changes, I don't see why they would change their methods.

The game being $60. The franchise being god status. Whatever...it is all meaningless as the end result is exactly what they want...so why put more money and man power into something that so far you don't have to?

This is not defending poor ole gamefreak like some will strawman...but it is just logical IMO. I am honestly surprised they are even trying this style honestly lol. GF for all of their many many many flaws; do tend to listen...they are just slow as fuck on the uptake most of time. People were pissed about customization being missing in the gen 3 remakes...it hasn't missed a game since. Following Pokemon seems to be a constant now as well. Its small baby steps to fix self inflicted wounds but still.

I am just saying I don't understand the angst over this...its actually better than I expected from GF, as sad as that may sound...but by this stage we know what they are about; how they develop things, and IMO should know if thats good enough or not by now. All of this bellyaching on a message board about products that apparently dont' fufill your tastes will never be understood by me. I get it. You criticize things you love so they can be better...but yo...i don't give a fuck at this point. GF isn't here. So all it is IMO is just inane anger about shit that don't matter at the end of the day lol. This place is so often unreadable because most of it is just people being miserable about videogames because a rock texture looks bad or some shit lol. Is that really great discussion at that point?

I literally came to the realization back in 2018 that complaining about GF is a waste of time. And in hindsight it was true. I don't like a lot of the arbitrary design decisions they make and am confused with their philosophy when it comes to presentation. But none of that shit was the reason Pokemon did well. Pokemon does Pokemon well, and even when they don't do it well there is nothing like it.

In the end you cannot run from the truth of the matter. I am optimistic that they can improve with this particular formula in the long run. I am much better off for not being dependent on that outcome though lol. As you said, this is far beyond expectations of them based on all the work they put out before this. I personally skipped every Pokemon that i found lacking and only came back when they did something i liked. More people should do the same imo but we all different.

Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England
Another thing, GF must be doing something right because the Pokemon games they make still sell millions, but if the games were really inexcusable then those sales would stop, or are you saying children would eat up any game that their parents got for them and never tell them to not get another game from that series again.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly couldn't care less about the graphics here.

This looks PHENOMENAL and everything I've wanted from a pokemon game.

Very smart from Nintendo to style the trailer after BoTW. ,

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm home and I've watched the trailer more carefully, I've noticed that there is always something like a saddle for the trainer. That makes me think that there will be a wide variety of ride Pokémon, I think they did it this way to make it easier to animate all of them.

Also, did anyone noticed that the chimney in the largest building is a Galarian Weezing? Will be interest if we can have regional Pokémon in the game.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing, GF must be doing something right because the Pokemon games they make still sell millions, but if the games were really inexcusable then those sales would stop, or are you saying children would eat up any game that their parents got for them and never tell them to not get another game from that series again.

Arguments about SWSH included things like "everyone who bought SWSH was tricked and hated it after playing it" or "people are idiots and have no standards."

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Wait !!! There's only ONE version ?

This is a major plus for me.

Of course I feel like graphics could use a bit more polish but overall, it seems to be a step in the right direction. I'm interested.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I doubt there are seamless dungeons. My guess is, we can probably transition into dungeon areas, a la Sw/Sh style, but we're not likely going to see ourselves walking/running into the dungeon areas from outside.

But if it's like Xenoblade Chronicles seamless transitions between areas, then I'm pleasantly surprised and am all up for it.
I don't care if they're seamless, Shrines in BotW aren't seamless, nor are the divine beasts, I just want some intricacy to be provided, SwSh was dreadful compared to previous games in that regard, following the negative trend of S/M (and that's why I regard them as worse entries than XY)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Wow, It looks like a game from a 2017 Portable Gaming machine, incredible how they keep getting away with it.

/s

Anyway, I'm really interested in this, it's exciting that they are expanding the series in this kind of direction. I hope the game is good

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it could be cool. I like the music. But buying it will depend on what else you can actually do in the world. Going just by that trailer, it almost looks like it's a big Wild Area and that's it.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I literally came to the realization back in 2018 that complaining about GF is a waste of time. And in hindsight it was true. I don't like a lot of the arbitrary design decisions they make and am confused with their philosophy when it comes to presentation. But none of that shit was the reason Pokemon did well. Pokemon does Pokemon well, and even when they don't do it well there is nothing like it.

In the end you cannot run from the truth of the matter. I am optimistic that they can improve with this particular formula in the long run. I am much better off for not being dependent on that outcome though lol. As you said, this is far beyond expectations of them based on all the work they put out before this. I personally skipped every Pokemon that i found lacking and only came back when they did something i liked. More people should do the same imo but we all different.

Pretty much.

As much as a Pokemon game with multiple regions; high tier graphics; tough and difficult fights and gripping story would be.

I don't expect that anymore.

I play pokemon games to collect pokemon; craft teams; explore the world and generally just zone out. And flaws and all, every gen (ironically except gen 4 until I played Platinum years after) did that for me. So as long as I get that..the downsides and flaws don't bother me. I am going to get my money's worth. Similar to nba 2k. The games have been rehashed poop for a while now lol...gameplay issues; ass servers and 2k should be ashamed of themselves yaddi yadda yadda. However, I get easy over 100 hours every year despite that....just theory crafting teams and players...despite the many issues. We all would love perfect flawless games but at some point its up to you to decide what your money and time is worth...and just being mad on the internet seems like a miserable existence.I can go in on 2k all day...but for what purpose? I stopped buying Madden because the issues began to pile up to the point where I wasn't having fun. I am not going to set up shop in any Madden thread to let people know how much I hate the game..because who does that serve lol.

You can and should expect better. But at some point...you need to realize that you are no longer are being served and make peace with that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
People on the forum were complaining about Forza Horizon 5 not being an improvement over Horizon 4 in graphics, even when you put the two side by side and there's a very noticeable upgrade. Sometimes you wonder if people here are just trolling. There's so much to talk about when it comes to Legends, but people really just want to talk graphics, huh.
im always so confused at how people complain and nitpick so much about graphics when we had people on here literally misreading MH Rise by saying it HAD to be on the switch pro. Yet it wasn't. So clearly if it's that difficult to tell the difference between the "underpowered outdated" hardware and the Dream 4K machine it's not that important 😭

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I feel like Pokemon is an ip like Mickey Mouse that has grown so massive it's basically failure proof at this point. I think you'd have to maliciously attempt to sabotage it for it to not make a profit. Also the "it's profitable" argument really isn't a great defense against people with genuine criticisms or frustrations with any specific game or element of the franchise.

Jul 19, 2020
Arguments about SWSH included things like "everyone who bought SWSH was tricked and hated it after playing it" or "people are idiots and have no standards."
Do they think that they have a Pokemon 'switch' where for any other franchises stuff like bad graphics are a deal breaker and won't get it, but with Pokemon, bad graphics are terrible but not a deal breaker.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
I think a lot of people forget that the base formula is still really strong, even in weaker titles. Like, I still enjoyed Sword, even if I thought the actual adventure wasn't very good. Catching, battling, and raising Pokemon is still really fun.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
This game seems like such a huge step forward for Game Freak, I'm legitimately hyped as hell. We finally have unique overworld animations... and the Hisui forms! New pokemon! Growlithe looks so cute. 2022 can't come soon enough, man.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Looks like it could be fun, actually. A fresher take on the series.
It looks pretty ugly, though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
im always so confused at how people complain and nitpick so much about graphics when we had people on here literally misreading MH Rise by saying it HAD to be on the switch pro. Yet it wasn't. So clearly if it's that difficult to tell the difference it's not that important 😭
They also said that en Switch the framerate of Pokemon in the overworld would be like in the first trailer and that it will run better in Switch Pro.

Switch Pro it's just a bizarre whisful thinking

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I don't think that's the case. The outpost with the tent looks more like what you do in Monster Hunter when you're out during an expedition or hunt. You can even go and buy materials to catch mons, rest up and what not.
Hmmm, I forgot about the crafting materials. Where do you even obtain these from? I doubt you can "kill" Pokemon for the sake of collecting these materials.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the presents now, this looked awesome! I really wasn't expecting to get new forms and evolutions.

Was anyone else getting Monster Hunter vibes?

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Keep proving my point, you're doing a great job. You could work on the self awareness more though.

Not really. I never saw any footage from BotW and thought: "holy fuck this game is ugly". Again I am not talking about low-res textures, I am talking about straight-up art style and the technical expression of that art style. It's just really bad, no comparisons needed.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im always so confused at how people complain and nitpick so much about graphics when we had people on here literally misreading MH Rise by saying it HAD to be on the switch pro. Yet it wasn't. So clearly if it's that difficult to tell the difference it's not that important 😭
I remember when Digital Foundry revealed the resolution to be sub 720p docked

Fucking hilarious

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Does it look improved from what they originally showed? Yes.

Will I buy it because I'm a sucker for Pokemon? Yes.

But damn, all I can think of is what if this game had the benefit of the power of... any other system out right now. Even a more powerful Switch, but alas.

Jul 19, 2020
I feel like Pokemon is an ip like Mickey Mouse that has grown so massive it's basically failure proof at this point. I think you'd have to maliciously attempt to sabotage it for it to not make a profit. Also the "it's profitable" argument really isn't a great defense against people with genuine criticisms or frustrations with any specific game or element of the franchise.
What I mean is that the majority of the fan base is that they think GF have never done something inexcusable, folks can still think that ofc, but I feel that on the whole the fan base doesn't feel that.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
lmao just remembered the stupidly high level you need to get braviary

yeah, braviary is gonna be your last traversal pokemon lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So wait I'm confused, what is your point?
That these comments about graphics are asinine because even BOTW has some of the same issues and people did notice back when it released because they were saying the same exact things. Cherrypicked the worst stuff all the time and all.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just watched the full presentation, didn't realize there was more info and footage. i'm more excited than I was after watching the main trailer.
but that being said, man, it does not show well in many aspects. I actually think the art direction overall is solid and well done, as shown by the collage of screenshots someone just posted recently. It does work well.
but the actual individual assets themselves are just lackluster. even the main player's run animation - really? They just seem clunky and poorly done. It doesn't feel good. Pokemon in general would be served soooo well even if the animations were just given a lot more love. I get that there's a ton of pokemon, but for the main character it should be a priority.

and after watching the additional footage it only drives home my desire for them adding the line shader to the characters like in the end of the main trailer. it looked good in the world, made it felt like the cartoon, added a level of cohesiveness, and frankly just looked pretty rad on the pokemon and characters. I hope they consider it... they ARE marketing their game with it so it would be cool if it was at least an option.

gameplay wise I like what I saw so far. no gigantexes or whatever.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I never saw any footage from BotW and thought: "holy fuck this game is ugly". Again I am not talking about low-res textures, I am talking about straight-up art style and the technical expression of that art style. It's just really bad, no comparisons needed.
Plenty of people have though. They were obnoxiously vocal about it too. Reminds me of something.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The new Pokémon showed all looked pretty neat, especially that Growlithe. What a nice design. Excited to see what else they have in store.
Game looks fun, the new battle system is interesting. Wonder if we'll actually get trainer battles.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, watching the trailer I would have assumed Basculegion and Wyrdeer were regional forms instead of new Pokemon.

Basculegion is cool; I like Basculin already and it's neat to see it get some love. Favorite of the new Pokemon/forms by a country mile.

Wyrdeer just looks like a regional form of Stantler. Like, it's cool, but it needs a bit more.

Regional Growlithe is cute; kinda weird that it's based more directly on Growlithe's original inspiration instead of a new one.

Regional Braviary is meh.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What I mean is that the majority of the fan base is that they think GF have never done something inexcusable, folks can still think that ofc, but I feel that on the whole the fan base doesn't feel that.

Again the pokemon fanbase is so massive that you could actively upset like 40% of it and the other 60% who either aren't bothered or don't know could still make 2021 the most successful year of Pokemon ever on their own. Much in the same way a lot of longtime Animal Crossing fans were very disappointed with New Horizons, but that game has sold over 30 million copies so their frustrations are completely lost to the wind.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know how exactly the regions will be gated. That's like, at the top of my list of things I want to know about this game. It makes a huge difference in how it plays.

Monster Hunter style "go to this region, complete this task, come home" just doesn't sound all that appealing for a game about documenting wildlife.
I assume the loop is generally structured like this

1. Collect a bunch of missions in town
2. Go to new region, starting at an outpost
3. Explore, catch pokemon, finish missions, etc.
4. Come back to town to cash in the missions. Completing core story missions unlocks later regions.
5. Repeat until all regions are unlocked, with some missions unlocking later to provide more reasons to go to earlier regions

I doubt it's something where you would be doing one thing at a time, maybe at the very beginning, but it seems to me more like the Xenoblade games where you rack up a bunch of objectives before setting out into the world to do them in whatever order you want. The Pokemon research levels seem kind of like the blade skill trees in 2, which you mostly end up working towards passively but which sometimes have quests related to them

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I think it looks good enough, and if it runs at a stable framerate it will be great. The world does feel a bit barren, though, and I doubt we'll see many people while exploring the wild. Hopefully they'll apply some of these new ideas in a traditional RPG.

I wasn't expecting new forms at all, much less new evolutions, and I'm pleasantly surprised. And it's great that they can be sent to Pokémon Home, too.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
One thing I don't understand is why modern Pokemon games don't have voice acting. They literally have good quality voice acting running parallel to the games via the anime series and yet the games are just voiceless. It is really jarring and stands out more and more with each passing game. Cutscenes barely make an impact and it all seems so dated.

Legends looks fine, like a PS3 game with PS2 running animations. I hope the game has a story as it feels like it could get repetitive fast.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the Monster Hunter gameplay loop. Fun enough though and the battle changes look cool.

Game ugly as hell though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
lmao just remembered the stupidly high level you need to get braviary

yeah, braviary is gonna be your last traversal pokemon lol
Well, like Xenoblade X. Flight is always at the end of these games. It also limits the map (For example, Guerrilla said that Horizon couldn't have flight with its visual fidelity)