• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
The trailer does better justice to the game, which actually targets 60fps apparently. That can mostly be seen at the beginning before the various drops/lower fps footage, but at least it represents its current state better than what we saw during the streaming, obviously.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't stop clinging to the fact they called an Action RPG. Hoping to see more.

As for folks saying it looks rough, they have at minimum a year to polish and even more if they delay.

Honestly at this point I think Pokémon fans would have been disappointed no matter what they showed.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good. I hope they fill the open areas with things other than wild pokemon. I feel the open areas in gen 8 were only a half step as they were missing things to do other than catch pokemon.

Aug 13, 2019
I'm already sold on the idea. and the Pokemon running up to attack one another is great. Yeah, it's a technical mess, but I'm still excited. Pokemon's BOTW! Man, just thinking of the possibilities if this takes off. The more I think about it, the more excited I get!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It needs image quality polish and compressed jpegs don't help, but this is a huge step up coming from SWSH

EvKXDFpXYAAwfl6

EvKXHPwWgAISPwl
I would say it looks worse tbh. The style is terrible.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see the basic gameplay formula being experimented on with an open world and seamless battle approach.

If this will ever be playable on newer console hardware I would love to see how it would run there as well.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
They were desperately trying to sell some GameCubes though

They were also desperately trying not to have another failure of a console in 2017. Nintendo does whatever it wants. If it wants to release both at the same time it will. Still an outside chance BotW comes this year.

Think about recent announcements and how quick the turnarounds have been:

Rise
Snap
AoC
Origami King
3D All Stars

They could have a Zelda 35th anniversary stream in May reminding everyone about Skyward Sword, announce Twilight/Wind Waker for September, BotW in November and Pokémon in December.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who thought sword and shield were the drizzling shits from top to bottom...

I'M HYPED

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
It is a real mystery that a game in the middle of a pandemic that still has a year to go before its release does not have a good framerate.
A year is not a long time. This game looks 2+ years under baked. And the frame rate is not the only thing worth criticism let's be real.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The game is still 1 year and a couple of months away... at least 20-25% of the game's dev time is ahead of us.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck this looks so good! I can't wait for my daughter to get out of class today with all this awesome Pokémon news. I can imagine the hype and it will be great to see!

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the footage doesn't look great... But this is the first time any pokemon game has interested me since Go in 2016. Well, this and New Pokemon Snap.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet :

- The game will only have Shinnoh Pokemon outside of starters
- There will be a single village
- There won't be any NPC outside
- There won't be any gym
- There won't be any explorable caverns and/or dungeons

The fact that this game is being released early 2022 makes me thing it will be really disappointing.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea, but good god, this looked like shit:

- tons of aliasing
- bad frame rate
- muddy textures
- barren game world

Yes I know they will work on this, but what even was the point of showing gameplay when it looks like that?? And there was literally nothing special or interesting to see, just a few characters walking / fighting, it looked like a pre-alpha engine test or something like that. They should have just shown a CGI trailer tbh.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I like where this is going, but boy do I have my doubts for much of an upgrade if they are really planning to deliver this in the first quarter next year. I'm hoping it gets delayed to give it enough time in the oven.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looks awesome just because this is what people have been wanting for a while. Lots of shakeups. Their game engine is really not well done they honestly dont even have much on the screen at points and its still struggling. I dont know why they dont ask for more help just get Nintendo or Monolith to straight up help them. They should just be utilizing BOTW or Xenoblade as a base to start from.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
looks flat and dull they show no story or how they going to tell a story, one again one step forward and two back

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Graphically, it is a huge leap in these areas:
- lighting
- battle animations
- battle backgrounds or lack there of
- environmental density

And the artstyle is a lot more consistent which I love

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This looks absolutely horrible lol. I don't understand how this is acceptable for such a large franchise. I certainly hope they delay this and make it look good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Glad they're mixing things up, game needs a lot of optimization because it's looking rough, but the concept sounds cool. Hopefully GameFreak don't ruin this cool concept.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What Xenoblade 2 is stable 30fps for the most part even Digital Foundry confirmed that.

There is no way its a stable 30😂

Yeah, what are you talking about?

So, overall, the visual feature set is improved over Xenoblade X but what about performance? This is where things get a little iffy as Xenoblade 2 exhibits some very strange behaviour. We observed what you might call 'hot spots' - areas that cause performance to drop. However, the impact of this drop persists when you return to areas that were previously fine. This suggests a performance bottleneck that isn't related to what's actually being rendered on-screen - and it can hit hard, causing sustained drops down to the 20fps area. Closing the game and restarting via a saved game restored the correct frame-rate, suggesting a pretty serious bug. Returning to the 'hot spot' once again caused the same prolonged hit to performance - a state of affairs that persists when testing the digital version of the game on both internal storage and a MicroSD card.

Regardless, while performance in general seems to hold close to 30fps, there are instances such as this where things come crashing down. In terms of handheld performance, there's no way to accurately measure a 30fps title, but the general sense is that it runs similarly to the docked experience.

www.eurogamer.net

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 too ambitious for Switch's mobile mode?

It's been a remarkable year for Nintendo's Switch and Monolith Soft is ensuring a strong finish with Xenoblade Chronicl…

Like it's 30fps for the most part, but can go to 20fps for no reason.

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The idea is great. Hopefully with the remaining development time the graphics are polished and the frame rate is fixed. I have to believe they learnt something from Sword and Shield.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
That framerate look rough...
Just once I'd like GameFreak to put out a pokemon game that has decent performance.

Otherwise I love this. Never bothered with Sword & Shield, but this looks interesting to me.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
This is the Final Fantasy XII of Pokemon, finally breaking away from random encounters. They probably wanted to test out the open-world concept in a "spinoff" game before incorporating it into Gen 9.

They're in over their heads creating a modern-day pokemon region so they went with this feudal Sinnoh approach that lets them get away with just one village, and the rest being pretty open terrain.

I'm very concerned about the size of the pokedex, I'm predicting around 200 pokemon max. Will they finally have voice acting and a minimal story? Let's find out.

Dec 21, 2020
I'm wondering why the reveal trailer at the end said it was a "action rpg" when a few seconds earlier they showed turned based battles.

Im not really feeling it yet and I'm sure people are gonna get blinded by the "open world" tag line. Well it's a year away so let's see how much they show us, maybe they will change my mind.

At the moment it just looks like a normal pokemon game with third person pokeball aiming and less loading and menus for battles. Hopefully it focused more on adventuring then the usual trainer battles.
The trainer themselves can actually do things now, and they can interact with the world like the Pokémon and throw a pokeball, do a barrel roll, etc.

It's rough but shows promise of potential.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
Damn Game Freak still stuck on the 3ds era... Those graphics looks so ps2 and the overwold looks so empty and barren, like 2 trees and grass, ok. After Sword and Shield i've completely lost faith in GF. Just use all the money you have to actually pay some 3d designer.

I do like the setting though, looks interesting and i like the idea of a feodal Pokemon, but again the execution will be botched. There is a part of me that still think Pokemon should have stayed with 2d sprites, looked more original for some reason.

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
I like the art style but, I'm kinda hoping it's not completely open world and more giant zones. The open plain footage makes the world seem super boring.
Wish they got monolith soft to make the world for them. I just want a Pokémon game that looks as good as XC2 :(

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand, if this system can run BoTW how the hell is this acceptable?
For me it isn't acceptable. Looks years from done. Empty, ugly, with terrible performance. BotW looked almost done one year before its release and it still took almost a year to release. This game being early 2022 is ridiculous.

I wish the framerate was the only problem. Oh well.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
New Pokemon games continue to be thoroughly unimpressive to me. The concept seems neat, but damn.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Awesome. The potential is endless. Lets hope for great execution!

I only recognise Cyndaquil from those starters, what games are the other ones from?

I wonder if this still is going to be a "buy once game" or some gacha approach?

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Looks like a double winner for the series. Those who play the games will enjoy this change of place, those who make endless YouTube videos going off on one about some trees will not run out of content.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me: "Hey, that looks kind of good and there is still a year till release. Can't wait to see the reactions on era"

Era: "TRASHHHHH"

Me: