• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Back when Pokémon Let's Go released, they anounced the "Pokeball Plus" peripheral.

61Ka1nP1hoL._SX342_.jpg

Intended to be used with the game or with the "Pokémon Go" App as a companion device or with the "Let's Go" game as a controller too. And here's where it gets messy, because by purchasing this $50 controller, you get access to the beloved mythical Pokemon "Mew"
250px-151Mew.png

This was advertised as THE ONLY way to get Mew in this game, because even though you could transfer Pokemon from "Go" to "Let's Go", transfer of Mew were blocked. At the time, when we called this out we got all sort of excuses.

"Clearly they will give it as a free Mystery Gift later on"
"They'll remove the transfer lock soon"
"You´ll get it in the real next gen game in 2019 anyways"

Flash forward to Pokemon Sword and Shield, where they just anounced that from now on Pokemon games will never contain all the Pokemon again, instead each game will have a "Selection of Pokemon", going as far as making any Pokemon not present in this selection non transferable to the games in any way as they are not even in the games data. You can't transfer them even if you use the upcoming PAID service "Pokemon Home", they're gone.This triggered possibly the biggest backlash the series has ever received. But that announcement also included this little tidbit:

That's right! You will also get a Mew if you buy this peripheral for the new games, and they confirmed this before even confirming if Mew is part of this "Selection" for Sword and Shield, there's no indication that the lock to transfer Mews from GO! has been removed, or even if Mews from previous games will not be locked.

As it stands right now, Mew is a $50 Pokemon.

How did we accept this?
What is the excuse now?

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
They better allow transfer of Mew and the other mythicals from Bank to Home to SwSh.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Everybody outraged about everything. Good grief.

Mew's a fun little bonus for people who buy the ball. Your life isn't ruined because you can't catch one in the wild in the game somewhere.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
IIRC can get Mew for free by doing the quest in Pokémon go and transferring it to let's go, though. I might be remembering this wrong but I think I saw someone do it?

EDIT: never mind looking into it more, you can't.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Uh, if it's available in Sword and Shield it'll be transferable from Home, so you can bring one in from an old game. I'm not worried (about Mew specifically, anyway).

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
...owning Mew isn't a constitutional right or anything.

I'm sure it will be available through events eventually.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
They've been making Mew legitimately unobtainable for 90% of gamers since 1996. It isn't something new.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Wait until we have to pay a subscription fee just to trade Pokémon with other people and between games.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure we already had a 50/100 page thread about this last E3 when it was revealed.

What else can we do at this point?

Edit: nvm I'm dumb. I've been on a blackout for S&S so didn't know the new In for about how it links to those games.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the same reason that no one is batting an eye at several materia being locked behind preorders and a special edition in FF7. Probably for the same reason people accepted game content locked behind toys with amiibo. People accept this practice because they have no self control and they defend it because they like the taste of a wealthy person's boot .

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that price tag of that stupid ball was too much for me. I never got a Mew in Pokemon Red, either.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
cuz it doesn't matter? theres so many ways to get mew at this point. hell, there was just a thread here recently about how to get all the event pokes from the DS games still

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I mean its a pretty common approach to gain easy money, to lock something behind a pay wall. I am not here to defend GF, i am the biggest fan on one hand and the biggest detractor on the other hand.
GameFreak these days struggle with so much, i think we should raise the voice about something much more important because the series we all love has to get up.
Btw this is old news (and has been discussed here already) so i don't know what u want from that OP.

And mew has been distributed several times, so i don't understand the anger. Yeah if u missed it that's unfortunate but as i said it is a common Practise

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Mew's a fun little bonus for people who buy the ball. Your life isn't ruined because you can't catch one in the wild in the game somewhere.
Because it wasn't just a bonus in Let's Go. You could not transfer one from any previous game or GO and Mew is not obtainable in the game. It's shitty. And we don't know yet if you can transfer a Mew from Home to SwSh.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to ERA.

There were many ways to get Mew in the past. It's sad if you missed it so the PB+ is another incentive to get it.

Don't buy it and wait for another occasion to get Mew, that's all.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I saw this dude but he teleported away before I could talk to him.

The next time I saw him he had a Mew.

Oct 27, 2017
They give out legendaries like candy nowadays. This isn't a big deal. There will be other ways to get it or you can trade

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean its a pretty common approach to gain easy money, to lock something behind a pay wall. I am not here to defend GF, i am the biggest fan on one hand and the biggest detractor on the other hand.
GameFreak these days struggle with so much, i think we should raise the voice about something much more important because the series we all love has to get up.
Btw this is old news (and has been discussed here already) so i don't know what u want from that OP.

And mew has been distributed several times, so i don't understand the anger. Yeah if u missed it that's unfortunate but as i said it is a common Practise

All those Mews are effectively blocked from the new games...There's no more transferring old Pokemon to the new games. That's the outrage.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Such as? They're all blocked.
its was legit the sentence after the one you bolded:
www.resetera.com

Did you miss Pokémon Gen 4/5 events? You can still get them, no hacks needed.

Came across this, thought it was excellent, decided to share. Some of you probably know it, but let's spread the word a bit. This requires NO hacks, so works on any DS family machine. As many of you know, special Pokémon tend to get distributed through the live of a gen, and it's often...

get it from there and transfer it up

Status
Not open for further replies.