• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Message from corp = bad.
Silence = good.
Is starting to become my takeaway from this. We already went over the whole "silence is complicity" thing. That very message is what's causing people to make an effort this time around, speaking up, donating, sharing links on where you can donate.

In Nintendo's case, we've heard from their direct competition as well as their own employees and you're sitting here going "well why do you want to hear from them?" to what purpose if your default is just gonna be "well it's for PR".

Okay, so let me lay it out. These protests are the ever growing results of decades, and centuries of injustice. They're in the news now, but in a week or two, it'll mostly be forgotten, until the next Black person get's murdered by cops on video.

The messages (or exact same message being copied, with the replacement of said company logo) that are currently being spread around may provide some positivity, but what will it actually do in the long run? The message is fine. It's a default fucking position to be perfectly frank, because "let's treat black people fairly" shouldn't need to be -expressed-.

I'd understand if companies were all on a donating binge, like donating to the BLM/NAACP or other organisations, or they'd all be calling out cops etc but they won't because they are ruled under a neoliberal system that doesn't care about the plight of black people.
But if companies were doing all that, and Nintendo sat idly, i'd get it.

Does "silence is complicity" apply to -everyone-? Virtually every company out there making these tweets are complicit in someways. So not only is it meaningless PR, it's also vastly hypocritical.

I just find it pointless to expect or demand or pithy message from a company. Give me action.

So no, i don't think message is bad, silence is good. I'm saying both are meaningless. Because companies operate to generate revenue, and they in essence do not care about the plight of black people, so whatever they tweet out is meaningless.

Plus, most game companies have a fucking horrible track record when it comes to representation of black people, as well as hiring black people, I've worked in the games industry for nearly 10 years, and i've probably come across like.. three black employees. So i hope you understand where i'm actually coming from.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so let me lay it out. These protests are the ever growing results of decades, and centuries of injustice. They're in the news now, but in a week or two, it'll mostly be forgotten, until the next Black person get's murdered by cops on video.

The messages (or exact same message being copied, with the replacement of said company logo) that are currently being spread around may provide some positivity, but what will it actually do in the long run? The message is fine. It's a default fucking position to be perfectly frank, because "let's treat black people fairly" shouldn't need to be -expressed-.

I'd understand if companies were all on a donating binge, like donating to the BLM/NAACP or other organisations, or they'd all be calling out cops etc but they won't because they are ruled under a neoliberal system that doesn't care about the plight of black people.

Does "silence is complicity" apply to -everyone-? Virtually every company out there making these tweets are complicit in someways. So not only is it meaningless PR, it's also vastly hypocritical.

I just find it pointless to expect or demand or pithy message from a company. Give me action.

So no, i don't think message is bad, silence is good. I'm saying both are meaningless. Because companies operate to generate revenue, and they in essence do not care about the plight of black people, so whatever they tweet out is meaningless.
And I already told you I'm not demanding a comment, but I am making note of their silence because it stands out amongst their contemporaries and employees.

Everything else you're saying just comes off as tired cynicism for the sake of it. And there's nothing to gain from arguing against others wanting them to post. And theres nothing with wanting them to post.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
And I already told you I'm not demanding a comment, but I am making note of their silence because it stands out amongst their contemporaries and employees.

Everything else you're saying just comes off as tired cynicism for the sake of it. And there's nothing to gain from arguing against others wanting them to post. And theres nothing with wanting them to post.

It's not cynicism. I just don't care what corporations think of this situation. And i'm baffled that so many do.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Apart from posts from them id more like to see donations. They make a lot, give some back to help the people they profit from?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I understand people want Nintendo to say something, and I will not deny that I agree they should, but for me I love that I can see the faces behind a name saying out loud what they support and know the company has their backs.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
... The fuck is this? A Black character fist bumping a Japanese child on a 1 sec loop?

Can't even bother to make a compilation of all the black people in the Pokemon anime (For GF to be stuck as FUCK with pushing the series forward they are shockingly good with adding ethnic diversity) with a "You matter" at the end to stay decently "unpolitical" by not invoking the words BLM?

Just some fist bump and a ... tan or brown heart?

Like, if that's the best you can post then you might as well just not post anything ... cause it's basically nothing. I'm sure Disney's Robotic baseline statement released by all their studios took more effort than a 1 sec gif.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, has Nintendo ever done Pride anything in these last few years? specially now that everyone and their mother do something, to the point it stopped being political and now is just marketing.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you follow Bill Trinen on Twitter, you'll know he supports the movement. Hearing from the individuals working at Nintendo means more to me than a company post. If there are any others, I'd love to see them.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm not here to defend Nintendo, but just a heads up ppl...

Nintendo has said in the past they don't get into politics. So I wouldn't expect a response from them.

They participate in pride parades if that counts.

Well, that didn't age well.

That's more so their employees than the company itself. It's good to see some of their folk do support moral movements but, as a company, for better or worse, Nintendo just doesn't comment on this sorta stuff
The employees literally bring up the banner with company logo in it.

Oct 26, 2017
The employees literally bring up the banner with company logo in it.
Sorry, was still editing. I'd imagine that was something that was pushed through by the employees rather than by, say, the directors or whatever. I don't remember their own official social media pages saying anything. If they did, then, yeah, their silence here really stands out and raises some eyebrows

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What's more baffling than the Pokemon post are the amount of people in this very thread who continue to somehow be against the idea that a corporation should at least do the bare minimum by acknowledging what's going on at the moment.

"Pokemon is for kids!"
"...why do they need to do anything at all?"
"Yeah well what's company A doing huh? Why aren't you guys mad at them too?"
"I hate all this pointless drama"
"ResetEra overreacting as always"

It's like people have become so cynical that they can't comprehend the idea that while acknowledging it doesn't contribute much, it still helps in a way. It brings attention. It makes children notice. And it pisses off more right wingers and racists which is the cherry on top.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I HOPE Nintendo's silence is due to going through 500 steps of validation for a PR statement like some companies are doing and not a hope to be "non political"

But wtf Pokemon lol. I wish Twitter had a dislike button

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon will reveal news about the upcoming expansion in around 4 hours. Of course Nintendo and Pokémon accounts will talk about it for a couple hours at least.

But it will be right in the middle of #BlackoutTueday, that will definitely generate some reactions.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What so some Japanese kid is friends with a Hawaiian kid?

It'd be cool if Nintendo made a kick ass montage of all it's black characters but wait they have like 2.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect anything more from Nintendo, unless NOE or NOA do something specifically but I'm not sure they have that kind of jurisdiction.

The stuff in Smash is still there, yes it came out of Japan but NOE and NOA stayed silent on the matter. You'd hope they fed something back on the matter but what sway they hold is another matter.

All Officer Jennys are bastards

Ngl, I chuckled.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Reading this thread, and even the "official staff communication" really frightens me about Internet and social networks.
IMO, companies shouldn't comment on social issues, as they are talking in the name of their thousands of employees that didn't ask for that.
The fact that people force companies to comment, and judge them based on what they are posting on social networks is beyond my comprehension.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Reading this thread, and even the "official staff communication" really frightens me about Internet and social networks.
IMO, companies shouldn't comment on social issues, as they are talking in the name of their thousands of employees that didn't ask for that.
The fact that people force companies to comment, and judge them based on what they are posting on social networks is beyond my comprehension.

But companies try to make us believe they are a tangible entity with values and all.
Marketing.

Though sometimes (like what's happening now) it's better that nothing and it even pisses off morons.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

What? Have you seen the Facebook and React Native employees walk out in protest because of what their company is *NOT* doing?

Companies are literally a part of society.
Anyone hired by such a company is aware that the views of the company do not necessarily represent the views of their employees, and vice-versa. Company culture is a real thing, and it includes ethical and social views. Imagine wanting to work for a company who doesn't support human rights, inclusivity and equality.

No-one is "forcing" companies to comment, but we can sure as hell judge them when they're being silent.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019

Yeah why the fuck anyone gives a shit what a company has to say at something like this makes no sense to me

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But companies try to make us believe they are a tangible entity with values and all.
Marketing.

Though sometimes (like what's happening now) it's better that nothing and it even pisses off morons.
And this why we shouldn't believe them when post support when it's easy for them to do. Pissing off a few internet racist isn't going to change shit that's meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
@princessology on Twitter, she's a black woman who has been very vocal about the situation, has likely taken part into the decision behind this tweet (she retweeted it on her own account), I think people saying they just made it to score easy points don't get that. Could and should they have done more? Absolutely, but it's far from a tone deaf response made by people who don't care.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
so because Nintendo made a black anthropomorphic character it's ok for them to be tone deaf to a pressing matter Affecting an entire nation right now and they are not even doing the bare minimum. Ok got it.

I know you are angry right now, but that's not what I've said.

I'm just saying that they're supporting the cause with real actions by making these characters. Even before BLM. And I do believe they will say something, as i do believe they should say something.

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Companies also have a responsibility to protect their employees and create inclusive environments. Striving for equality and empowering minority groups causes no harm. Making public statements in support of social movements, particularly those relevant to the rights and wellbeing of their employees is an important part of this. Or are you suggesting that companies should not support their black employees because it might offend or upset those with racist views?

Last edited:

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
To kinda echo earlier what I was saying about what is far more effective, heres ubisoft with an example. NOW Nintendo, match that.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Companies also have a responsibility to protect their employees and create inclusive environments. Striving for equality and empowering minority groups causes no harm. Or are you suggesting that companies should not support their black employees because it might offend or upset those with racist views?

I was talking about any social issue in general.
That's quite a big overinterpretation...

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about any social issue in general.
That's quite a big overinterpretation...
You're posting in a thread about the Pokémon Company making a tone deaf statement about the Black Lives Matter movement, to say that you don't think companies should comment on social issues. What am I misinterpreting?

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
You're posting in a thread about the Pokémon Company making a tone deaf statement about the Black Lives Matter movement, to say that you don't think companies should comment on social issues. What am I misinterpreting?

"are you suggesting that companies should not support their black employees because it might offend or upset those with racist views? "
You're almost saying that I'm defending racists.
That's a huge overinterpretation, if you read my first post, yeah.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
@princessology on Twitter, she's a black woman who has been very vocal about the situation, has likely taken part into the decision behind this tweet (she retweeted it on her own account), I think people saying they just made it to score easy points don't get that. Could and should they have done more? Absolutely, but it's far from a tone deaf response made by people who don't care.
Huh. Then I imagine the post is actually a smart way to sneak in commentary disguised as just a gif from the anime. I don't believe corporate would've let her post if they were aware. Quite clever.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
And those employees can choose to leave if they don't believe in a simple idea like racism is bad.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this entire thread reads like "this brand I like isn't using what's happening right now to advertise itself the right way"

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
"are you suggesting that companies should not support their black employees because it might offend or upset those with racist views? "
You're almost saying that I'm defending racists.
That's a huge overinterpretation, if you read my first post, yeah.
You said that "IMO, companies shouldn't comment on social issues, as they are talking in the name of their thousands of employees that didn't ask for that".

If a company makes a public statement in support of equality or with the intention of empowering minority groups, who likely work within said company, why would an employee have a problem with it unless they didn't agree with the issue being promoted? What harm does it do?

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Message from corp = bad.
Silence = good.
Is starting to become my takeaway from this. We already went over the whole "silence is complicity" thing. That very message is what's causing people to make an effort this time around, speaking up, donating, sharing links on where you can donate.

In Nintendo's case, we've heard from their direct competition as well as their own employees and you're sitting here going "well why do you want to hear from them?" to what purpose if your default is just gonna be "well it's for PR".
Honestly, I don't want to hear from Corporations I don't want them to tweet from the brand I would rather the leaders of these corps come out from behind the veil and speak for themselves. They can then us the corporate influence to make some real change behind the scenes.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, some of y'all contextualizing responses as 'political' really grinds my gears.

While yes, it would probably could be a PR move, what Nintendo could do would be a significant signal boost to an absolutely terrible situation.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Plus, most game companies have a fucking horrible track record when it comes to representation of black people, as well as hiring black people, I've worked in the games industry for nearly 10 years, and i've probably come across like.. three black employees. So i hope you understand where i'm actually coming from.
Very well said this encapsulated my whole feelings and put it in words way better than i could've.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
"as they are talking in the name of their thousands of employees that didn't ask for that."

Why draw the line at making public statements on social issues? Companies do all kind of things that the employees don't ask for. Basic level employees aren't the ones who are in charge of the company. If employees aren't happy with a company's actions, they're free to leave. The same goes for public statements on social issues.

That really shouldn't be hard to grasp.

And beyond that, company employees can be affected by these same issues that are being protested right now. If a company wants to support their employees, it makes sense that they want them to be well also outside of work. And that's why it makes sense that they don't just make internal statements, but also reflect their position outside, i.e. make public statements.

People are also completely in their right to expect things from companies. They are part of the society and they bear their part of the responsibility making this society work. Now, companies are of course, in their part, free to ignore these expectations, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

Oct 25, 2017
I know you are angry right now, but that's not what I've said.

I'm just saying that they're supporting the cause with real actions by making these characters. Even before BLM. And I do believe they will say something, as i do believe they should say something.
That's nothing to do with anger, that was just bad logic. "They have a black character so they're helping."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I would like to see the owner of the "biggest brand in entertainment" push corporate matches for donations to BLM causes at least for their US based employees, personally. For all of you guys claiming it's all empty PR, I've seen a significant chunk of change going toward several causes from these large companies like Sony (& their studios) and Ubisoft. I'll take "empty PR" that results in hundreds of thousands of dollars of donations to causes I believe in over... Whatever the fuck that TPC tweet was anyday

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world is moving towards social causes and everything is becoming politicized. Being silent is a political statement in and of itself.

Nintendo is already sharing their message, and it's loud and clear.

Unfortunately for them, their message will be on the wrong side when history looks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.