• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
It's so easy for companies right now to get good PR (without actually doing fundamental changes in their own; cosmetic capitalism basically) and TPC had to fuck it up lol. This is like so low effort that it makes it look even more insincere.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I was suprised to see even that in my feed a second ago, I expected nothing from Nintendo like usual

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black ppl are being murdered in the streets. Fist bumps aren't solving anything. This is as tone deaf as the white & black hands that companies are tweeting out. None of that unity shit is going to stop the police from murdering black people.
Twitter posts don't solve shit either. Statements from multinational corps don't solve shit. And even if they were to donate it wouldn't really put a dent in anything. This is a problem the American people need to solve and no amount of grandstanding from your fave game company is gunna clean up decades of systemic racism.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe people are angry at them for posting a positive response. Why does it have to be high effort? Why does it have to meet a certain criteria to be considered useful?

They are on your side, clearly. That's the important thing to focus on.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that this isn't really a "response" and that this is very likely just the person running the account doing something when they're required to tweet every day and is prevented from doing an explicit response?

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something since I don't follow Pokemon at all, but what's the problem here? My first impression is that they are showing love for friendship between races. Is there another context?
Same some of the people here over dramatize things, and yes i'm a person of colour. I don't see anything wrong.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nintendo generally always stays far out of this stuff, so not surprised.
Maybe it's high time they changed that. It's 2020. We condemn others (individuals and companies) for being complicit by staying silent, by not saying anything, by not taking a side, so why should Nintendo (and TPC in this case) get a pass for that shit? People keep saying that companies should use their platforms to send a message, let's call them out when they don't then.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Pokemon twitter account has always been embarrassing. This is completely on brand.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I personally don't think it's that bad, Nintendo has a large young audience so they may be trying to avoid discussing anything that may not be appropriate for children

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I wasn't expecting nothing from Nintendo or their related companies because they never care, but this was even worst than silence

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's high time they changed that. It's 2020. We condemn others (individuals and companies) for being complicit by staying silent, by not saying anything, by not taking a side, so why should Nintendo (and TPC in this case) get a pass for that shit? People keep saying that companies should use their platforms to send a message, let's call them out when they don't then.
Not saying I agree. I'm guessing NoJ oversees how things like this are handled broadly and doesn't want to touch politics. They should just let western teams do it though.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know that this isn't really a "response" and that this is very likely just the person running the account doing something when they're required to tweet every day and is prevented from doing an explicit response?

The joke here is that nothing would have been infinitely more thoughtful if they had those limitations. or hell, just make a series of posts on people of color in Pokémon would have been better and less patronizing than this.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled as to why we're even looking to these companies for any sort of statements.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a person of color to and I see nothing wrong with this, people are trying to make this response way bigger than it is

Just because Nintendo hasn't released a statement yet, doesn't mean they won't. Nintendo did a silence in their E3 2016 event for the shooting at the Orlando gay club.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think it's that bad, Nintendo has a large young audience so they may be trying to avoid discussing anything that may not be appropriate for children

Why is discussing what's happening with children inappropriate?

We've been discussing what's happening with our 6 and 3-year-old.

PrimeOtime

May 28, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive and insensitive trolling across multiple posts
Black ppl are being murdered in the streets. Fist bumps aren't solving anything. This is as tone deaf as the white & black hands that companies are tweeting out. None of that unity shit is going to stop the police from murdering black people.
k, and wtf do you want nintendo and pokemon pages to do? send a squad of charizards to help them riot?
if anything, this gif says "we're in for love between races".

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo as a company will not say anything, but their employees are free to say whatever they please. If you don't believe me...

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps a rehashed white text on black background screenshot wouldve satisfied you better?

dunno, it couldve been better, but at least they are saying something... many others arent

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm baffled as to why we're even looking to these companies for any sort of statements.

I said this in another thread, but I think corporations are most useful for a barometer on what has become socially accepted discourse. Beyond that it's mostly empty statements and attempts to ride waves of PR. It does say something about how conservative Nintendo's corporate culture must be if this is the most they can put out there though.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are angry at them for posting a positive response. Why does it have to be high effort? Why does it have to meet a certain criteria to be considered useful?

They are on your side, clearly. That's the important thing to focus on.
Asking for better than this is not asking for high effort. Other companies sort of set a decent stage over the weekend of how to go about this. I wasn't expecting them to pull a Sony, but this like turning a paper written in crayon.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so easy for companies right now to get good PR (without actually doing fundamental changes in their own; cosmetic capitalism basically) and TPC had to fuck it up lol. This is like so low effort that it makes it look even more insincere.

TPC fucking up PR has been pretty on point for a while.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo as a company will not say anything, but their employees are free to say whatever they please. If you don't believe me...

These are perfect, and not surprising considering the people behind them. Never met either of them obviously but they both come across really well and this is another good example of that.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I think it is a fine post. That people force others to make a certain level of commitment is weird.

The first thing I saw when I saw that tweet was that it was for BLM. Please let people support a movement in their own way.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
This is an anime, so do we even know if that character is intented to be black, or is it one of the countless cases where it's actually meant to be a person with a strong tan? lol.

Jan 13, 2020
Japanese companies are incredibly tight-lipped and conservative when it comes to political matters.

What you're seeing in that tweet is likely the 'best' a western social media exec could convince some higher-ups to approve, OR it's been sneaked through, intentionally vague and ambiguous, hoping that those same higher-ups wouldn't take umbrage with it, since it doesn't contain any outwardly political messaging.

I can appreciate the viewpoint of "They'd have been better off saying nothing", but I think this tweet came from a genuine place of sincerity and care where the admin is concerned.

It is pretty weak, though.

EDIT:

Pretty much this.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I said this in another thread, but I think corporations are most useful for a barometer on what has become socially accepted discourse. Beyond that it's mostly empty statements and attempts to ride waves of PR. It does say something about how conservative Nintendo's corporate culture must be if this is the most they can put out there though.
Regardless how conservative they are. Pokemon Company isn't Nintendo.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
k, and wtf do you want nintendo and pokemon pages to do? send a squad of charizards to help them riot?
if anything, this gif says "we're in for love between races".
Nintendo is followed by millions of people, and judging the responses to the tweet, many of whom do not care about what is currently happening. Them openly supporting the protesters and encouraging people to get involved by spreading the word, donating, protesting, etc. would be a great help in spreading the word.

No, I don't care if Nintendo has a history of not getting involved in these things. This isn't choosing a side in politics, it's displaying human decency.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
It's tone def because the image they posted is not something that is happening in the world. In fact, quite the opposite. So posting that image is just weird. Especially with no message attached.

YES. It's the lack of text that's jarring and indicative of them being afraid of saying the wrong thing when, in truth, they SHOULD have said that black lives matter. They should have put their foot down harder than they did. It seemed like such a weak effort that many believe they shouldn't have bothered, and I'm inclined to think so too, even if they did mean well.

But people using this for National Dex criticism are awful. There's a time and place, asswipes, and this isn't it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This you?
4a787772-b39f-4d02-a432-96558b41556f.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.