• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I mean, I saw this floating around twitter:

D84OzH8XkAE-7O6.jpg

This is just... Like I said, this is a level of incompetence I've never seen from a professional studio before.
This can't be real. I refuse to accept that they're THAT stupid. It's just too unbelievable.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I saw this floating around twitter:

D84OzH8XkAE-7O6.jpg

This is just... Like I said, this is a level of incompetence I've never seen from a professional studio before.

Persona 3 and 4 do something similar to this.
It's not hugely uncommon for memory limited systems to have games doing this because it's less ram intensive to be able to load/unload a specific model with the limited number of animations required for that scene than it is to have one model that can be brought in to every scene.
Storage space is an easier restriction to bypass than physical memory limitations.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone looked at the code back in 2017:

D86JxlGXYAAcgkP.jpg

The tweet in question:

Yeah, I think you should make a separate thread for this.
Really helps put into light why they're having such issues, assuming they're continuing this philosophy for Sword & Shield.

Or maybe not?
I clearly don't know anything about coding.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I mean, from the developer's perspective, it would certainly be creatively limiting to need to support over 1,000 Pokémon for any new feature they want to try implementing. It's pretty clear that a lot of fans just care about having them available in battle and see everything else as superfluous and not worth the resources, though.

Yes, because those are features that
  1. No one asked for
  2. GF themselves are gonna scrap the next generation anyways, like Z moves

So yeah, all the support and focus should go in making all the Pokémon available for battles, and then start adding whatever they're able to fit in the super tight deadlines they themselves set.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Remoraid is soft confirmed because Mantyke is confirmed. Mantyke can't evolve without Remoraid, although I wouldn't put it past them to just... forget to include Remoraid.

There's an Octillery image in one building. I don't think they'd be as cruel as to make references to Pokémon that won't make the cut (though Let's Go made some nods to all the Eeveelutions)

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
To be honest none of us know anything about how the code for the games work, there could be thousands of reasons why it's implemented this way that aren't "incompetence".

The decision to purge some Pokémon is more of a case of "we ran out of time" + "you'll buy it anyway".

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would prefer to have 150 new pokemon and 0 returning pokemon. Not this shitty half step of a regional dex being a complete gamble of what pokemon show up entirely.

Cant do that because Pikachu.

I've thought more about this decision and no matter how they slice the selections, I don't want to support this method of cutting pokemon. It's a huge change for this series and the way it's being handled as well as the seemingly untrue animation and balance excuse, and I just dont want to continue supporting this series if they're going to keep cutting corners like they have been since XY. First new gen I dont buy.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would prefer to have 150 new pokemon and 0 returning pokemon. Not this shitty half step of a regional dex being a complete gamble of what pokemon show up entirely.

Cant do that because Pikachu.
5th gen did that, but then had the world open up after beating N.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because those are features that
  1. No one asked for
  2. GF themselves are gonna scrap the next generation anyways, like Z moves

So yeah, all the support and focus should go in making all the Pokémon available for battles, and then start adding whatever they're able to fit in the super tight deadlines they themselves set.

I mean, that's your opinion. Plenty of people love the petting stuff even though I don't personally care about it, so new features that are widely popular can stick. The more they add up, though, the more work it becomes to support all the Pokémon.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Persona 3 and 4 do something similar to this.
It's not hugely uncommon for memory limited systems to have games doing this because it's less ram intensive to be able to load/unload a specific model with the limited number of animations required for that scene than it is to have one model that can be brought in to every scene.
Storage space is an easier restriction to bypass than physical memory limitations.

Oh, really? This is interesting. Never worked with memory-limited systems before so this was a TIL for me.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain a bit more. If I play let's go pikachu can I not transfer pikachu or something? I don't know what galar Dex is.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Can someone explain a bit more. If I play let's go pikachu can I not transfer pikachu or something? I don't know what galar Dex is.

Galar Dex is the Regional Pokédex for the next region. So if, for example, Arcanine isn't catchable in the wild in SwSh, you literally can't transfer him and he's stuck in Pokémon Home (which is an one-way trip) or in your old games until Game Freak decides you can use Arcanine again and includes him in a Regional Dex in the future.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I showed this to my roommate, who is a professional coder and programmer, and he refused to believe that this was real.

Apparently the model thing seems like it's a thing devs do for limited memory systems, so it's probably fine.

I'm not sure about the above topic, however someone looked at the code and, yeah, that's what they found:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon Sword and Shield will probably have around 300-400 Pokemon that you can go out and catch in the world. Most games in the past have been like this as well. But past games allowed you to transfer your Pokemon from previous games into the newer games, even if you couldn't catch them in the world.

With Pokemon Sword and Shield, the only Pokemon that can be transferred into the game have to already be one of the 300-400 Pokemon that already appear in the Galar region. This means at least 50% of Pokemon (depending on just how many there are in Galar) become completely unusable going forward.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've moved my Pokemon up from one generation to the next from Sapphire onwards. Even got the little acknowledgement in ORAS for bringing over a Pokemon that was caught in the original GBA entries.

It's always personally been a sentimental thing for me, too. Back when I was in middle school, I had a friend that was absolutely crazy about the series just as much as I was. We'd trade and battle in Ruby and Saphhire all the damn time. I got FireRed shortly before Christmas break and he LeafGreen. We traded so that we get could trade evos as early as we could; He got a Golem, and he gave me a Haunter that promptly evolved into a Gengar. Made a whole bunch of progress over that Christmas break and was excited to show it off when school resumed, but unfortunately, his family hit a patch of black ice on the way home from their Christmas vacation and he passed away in the ensuing accident. So every generation, it'a always been something of a silent tradition to transfer that particular Gengar up over the years to the newest games as a small little way to honor his memory. In Gen IV, I learned about competitive battling and lo and behold, the Gengar I had actually had a decent nature (Modest), but its EVs were understandably kinda screwed, having really only used it for in-game stuff. So I spent months getting a bunch of the EV reducing berries so that I could essentially reset it and ended up making a semi-competitive Pokemon out of it (Outside of Speed, it's IVs were unremarkable, unfortunately) that I've used in pretty much every subsequent generation on and off. It was neat seeing it persist over the years throughout the different generations and shifts in the meta!

It's an extremely fringe case, and I doubt too many people have similar stories, but I imagine people probably have all sorts of attachments to their transferred Pokemon over the years, and this whole thing kinda puts a damper on it all.

That's a touching story. Did you hyper train him? That way it would be perfectly fit for competitive.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll level with y'all.

This may sound selfish but Sword and Shield can turn out to be complete shit but as long as the New Pokemon look good and the anime is as good as Sun and Moon has been, I'll be happy.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
They saying that they'll use Pokémon that made sense for the region. It's really unlikely that you'll see the first 151 in full, plus, it seems the animations they're talking about, are new ones.
Hell, of the starters, only Charmander is safe.
They're animated in Let's Go!

The "make sense for region" stuff is obviously a pretext.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'll level with y'all.

This may sound selfish but Sword and Shield can turn out to be complete shit but as long as the New Pokemon look good and the anime is as good as Sun and Moon has been, I'll be happy.

That's not selfish, you just enjoy the anime more. And that's fine.

Selfish would be you starting with how little you care about this because you never play he games anyway

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Apparently the model thing seems like it's a thing devs do for limited memory systems, so it's probably fine.

I'm not sure about the above topic, however someone looked at the code and, yeah, that's what they found:

His disbelief came from the fact that they're a multimillion dollar company and they're "programming their main title games like it's a weekend long game jam."

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The Pokémon twitter account has been silent. Let's see if they post anything for Day 3 of E3.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not selfish, you just enjoy the anime more. And that's fine.

Selfish would be you starting with how little you care about this because you never play he games anyway
To be honest I'm the same way with Yu-Gi-Oh where the implementation of new mechanics didn't bother me as long as the new series was good...

(Arc-V was but the next one...)

Although I'll be honest I'm not even saying I think the games are turning shit either. I actually still am looking forward to Sword and Shield. It looks like an improvement over Sun and Moon, which I still put about 40 hours into.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Bellossom was in as a cardboard stand in SMUSUM but the line didn't appear in the game

Sun & Moon had Slurpuff as the mascot of Malasada shops. Slurpuff wasn't in Alola

Well, at least we could eventually bring them over through Pokémon Bank back then, so they were technically in the game at some point
embarrassney.gif

I mean, that's your opinion. Plenty of people love the petting stuff even though I don't personally care about it, so new features that are widely popular can stick. The more they add up, though, the more work it becomes to support all the Pokémon.

I love the petting stuff too (which already exists for 807 Pokémon btw) but I would've understood, and was actually expecting it to be removed at some point, given how much they love abandoning features. I was ready for Sylveon to get a new evolution method like a Ribbon stone or some sort of special candy lol

It's just, the basic thing in a Pokémon game. The Pokémon.

I mean, you're in charge of a Pokémon game, where do you start? I would personally start by making sure all the existing Pokémon are in, for the battles, even before introducing the new Pokés, additional animations, additional features. I think it's just something we all assumed (given all the negative reactions).

I've been saying it, and someone made a comment a few pages ago too that I liked, but I can't find it lol But it went along the lines of they'll be left behind by the technology advances.

The Switch is more than capable of hosting 900+ Pokémon, and future consoles will only get better, faster and more robust. They're obviously not ready for it with their current staff and with other projects they have. I just find insane that they came to the conclusion of "it's time to start cutting the Pokémon roster" before saying "it's time to grow the company / outsource other studios".

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They need a jolly good explanation as to how the champion got a Charizard.

He has one because even though we are now limited on how many Pokemon we can have in a game they are going to give Charizard another new form with the leaked gigamax (what ever it's called). Like he is one of my favorite pokes but that means they are potentially waisting 4 slots on a Pokemon that is arguably over representated.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
His disbelief came from the fact that they're a multimillion dollar company and they're "programming their main title games like it's a weekend long game jam."

And it really shows. These people learned to do basic programming on an 8-bit system and carried those paradigms since then -- and they even seem to teach them to every new hire. Everything in the mainline games seems to be implemented in an inefficient and bad way. Every single technical aspect when analyzed under a microscope. And it has always been like that. People know of the story behind how Iwata (someone from outside GameFreak) fixed the mess that was the original Gold/Silver, but it's not the only one. You just have to follow the hacking scenes or the RNG abusers to see how godawful things are under the hood.

But it was fine. Kind of, sorta, because you could see small evolutions here and there and, one day, they would be on a powerful system that wasn't using ancient CPUs and limited memory and they would hire more people who maybe knew what they were doing.

Yet, here we are. The first signs of trouble: that they were using the same 3DS engine on their first Switch title, Let's Go, and it displayed many of the same problems it had on the goddamn 3DS.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we could eventually bring them over through Pokémon Bank back then, so they were technically in the game at some point
embarrassney.gif

I love the petting stuff too (which already exists for 807 Pokémon btw) but I would've understood, and was actually expecting it to be removed at some point, given how much they love abandoning features. I was ready for Sylveon to get a new evolution method like a Ribbon stone or some sort of special candy lol

It's just, the basic thing in a Pokémon game. The Pokémon.

I mean, you're in charge of a Pokémon game, where do you start? I would personally start by making sure all the existing Pokémon are in, for the battles, even before introducing the new Pokés, additional animations, additional features. I think it's just something we all assumed (given all the negative reactions).

I've been saying it, and someone made a comment a few pages ago too that I liked, but I can't find it lol But it went along the lines of they'll be left behind by the technology advances.

The Switch is more than capable of hosting 900+ Pokémon, and future consoles will only get better, faster and more robust. They're obviously not ready for it with their current staff and with other projects they have. I just find insane that they came to the conclusion of "it's time to start cutting the Pokémon roster" before saying "it's time to grow the company / outsource other studios".

Yeah, for the record, I agree that having all the Pokémon in should be the first and foremost focus.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's last Pokemon game was Gold and Silver, can someone explain this thread to me as if I were a five-year-old? What's Pokemon Home and the Galar Pokedex?

Essentially, what does this mean? I see the reactions but I'm not quite understanding it.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019

Certain Pokémon species will not be compatible with Sword and Shield. This is the first time a main series entry has effectively cut down on the number of Pokémon, removing some from the roster. Game Freak has indicated that going forward, no games will have the full roster of Pokémon.

So now the discussion has gone from "ooo what Pokémon are they going to add" to "oh fuck what are they going to take away".

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit. These games were the catalyst I was waiting for to get me to purchase a Switch finally. Was 100% ready to throw down when the new model was revealed and now I have no reason to buy the thing anymore. Guess I'll get a new video card instead.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's last Pokemon game was Gold and Silver, can someone explain this thread to me as if I were a five-year-old? What's Pokemon Home and the Galar Pokedex?

Essentially, what does this mean? I see the reactions but I'm not quite understanding it.

Half the Pokédex got deleted Infinity War style.

People who wanted to transfer those Pokémon to Galar have to keep them in Pokémon Home, which is a phone app coming next year that will likely have an annual fee.

They won't be able to battle, train, or breed certain species. Their data does not exist in the mainline games anymore. Gamefreak is gatekeeping which Pokémon you're allowed to play with in which games.

Status
Not open for further replies.