• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
As a casual player coming back for the first time seriously since Diamond/Pearl (I did play about half of Sun/Moon), this really doesn't bother me. I do appreciate that it sucks for others who have been more committed to the series though.
Are there any Pokemon from back in the day you really like? Cause you might not see them again. This isn't just about the transfer thing, is them not being in the code.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak should be changing evolution methods so that they don't need to consider all this shit every single game. I believe stuff like this is mostly why they want to cut Pokemon too. But they shouldn't need to. Make some shit easier to access like one area for all the forme change shit, and no location or item based evolutions.

Also I don't believe their animation excuse. I don't give a fuck about some extra special animation on some Pokemon camping when you have tank-control NPCs and bad battle animations. Y'know, probably worth half the game.

I think a lot of players... when they sit and think about it

Would be open to a multitude of massive changes and removal of gimmicks and have a more consistent and compelling game

Even to the point of giving them more time to update the roster to the new system... but their language doesn't suggest they are taking the path players really want

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Pokemon from back in the day you really like? Cause you might not see them again. This isn't just about the transfer thing, is them not being in the code.
There are plenty of Pokemon, I don't need them all. If there are, let's say, 200+ in the game. I'll be fine.

meepfx

Dec 20, 2017
This feels like just a ripping off of the bandaid?

Like, it just doesn't seem tractable to keep adding more and more Pokémon without ever making cuts. Be reasonable.

Game Freak have painted themselves into a corner by supporting the ability, and making it a core part of the experience, to transfer mons from previous games to future games. Now it's something people (understandably) expect and despite the ever-increasing roster people argue that it's something GF should be able to still support in this game. It's a shitty situation of their own making and there is no easy way out for them.

Whether it's still sustainable or not is up for debate, but at some point yeah you have to limit the mons you can support. I guess people in this thread mostly argue it shouldn't happen before GF take the next big leap with animations/graphics (and SwSh doesn't appear to be that leap) since they did most of that hard work for the current gen when they released X/Y.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
This feels like just a ripping off of the bandaid?

Like, it just doesn't seem tractable to keep adding more and more Pokémon without ever making cuts. Be reasonable.
They could always hire more people. We all know Gamefreak is understaffed.

We are fairly accepting that they are unwilling to apply a 'next-gen' budget to things like graphics or performance anyway, so y'know they could quite easily just dedicate the appropriate levels of manpower to the franchise's main sticking point.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is only because Game Freak is egregiously understaffed (140 people). Other companies have even 10000 people employed in making an AAA game (e.g. Ubisoft for AC) but a company handling a multi billion franchise cannot hire 1000 animators for the transition to HD? Is the Pokemon franchise smaller than a tenth of Assassin's Creed?

At the end of the day, they know the games sell well enough even after washing down narratives, content, post game, etc. So they probably haven't felt the need to expand and upgrade, so they make more money.

It's just greed. There's no other reason why this IP game content is so mismanaged. They probably make tons of money being a pretty small team. Any other studio would have already acommodated to HD development, but Gf has struggled even when it was the time to jump to 3D or even in GS days when Iwata helped.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Which would be more than fair enough is they stated that upfront and outright!

Instead this is all coming a week or two after they made a big deal about how meaningful it is for people to be able to bring their old Pokemon forward with them, and that they have just the service to allow you to do so for a small yearly subscription fee

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Instead this is all coming a week or two after they made a big deal about how meaningful it is for people to be able to bring their old Pokemon forward with them, and that they have just the service to allow you to do so for a small yearly subscription fee
THIS is actually why this news about cut Pokemon bothered me the most. They made this big ordeal about how much it means to bring Pokemon from allllll the way back in Gen 3 to current games, only to announce 2 weeks later that apparently that's not really that important after all and making a Pokemon's model get bigger is more important.

It feels like we were lied to, and it seems like a really poor mishandling of PR.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. If there's a time for the fandom to join and be vocal is this one. The game will still sell millions so they can put us all down the rug if we don't make enough noise.

I told Joe from Serebii in this thread the same thing. A banner or something special on the site would be huge to get the attention of more casuals that don't know about this decision. But he went on a rant about people being dicks and harassing devs (wut?) so i guess it ended up on nothing.

And now he's defending GF. Some things never change.

Cant bite the hand that feeds. But then he may just be really onboard with the changes.

But its fitting that TPC dumb decisions are taking the attention away from what a great game Sword and Shield were shaping up to be. They have been doing dumb stuff for a while now.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
THIS is actually why this news about cut Pokemon bothered me the most. They made this big ordeal about how much it means to bring Pokemon from allllll the way back in Gen 3 to current games, only to announce 2 weeks later that apparently that's not really that important after all and making a Pokemon's model get bigger is more important.

It feels like we were lied to, and it seems like a really poor mishandling of PR.

I would have taken a massive rebalance, cutting of fluff and gimmicks, and a robust wild field and raid battle co op as enough

They seem to just be cutting shit instead of fundamentally altering everything in the game

Sure there is some good stuff here but Im not seeing meta shift level changes that necessitate limiting the roster at the moment

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be harassing Serebii in this thread guys, we're better than that.

It occurred in my mind that this is also going to have an effect on Legacy Trainers that can show up as well.

If Metagross misses the cut, does that mean Steven Stone isn't going to be in the game as well?

No Garchomp, No Cynthia?

I guess they could show up without using pokemon they are known for (See Mina in Let's Go) but it does make the fight against them hollow, espicially when a trainer is tied to their pokemon so much.

pokemon_masters_key_art.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The selection of Pokemon in Sword and Shield isn't going to effect Masters just like it won't effect Go.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

It occurred in my mind that this is also going to have an effect on Legacy Trainers that can show up as well.

If Metagross misses the cut, does that mean Steven Stone isn't going to be in the game as well?

No Garchomp, No Cynthia?

I guess they could show up without using pokemon they are known for (See Mina in Let's Go) but it does make the fight against them hollow, espicially when a trainer is tied to their pokemon so much.

Rosa is legit scary in this pic. Like imagine having sleep paralysis and you're awake staring at that just hovering above you.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

No Garchomp, No Cynthia?

No one is harassing Serebii but it's a little annoying that someone who has the actual means to chance something keeps defending GF

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The selection of Pokemon in Sword and Shield isn't going to effect Masters just like it won't effect Go.

I know it won't affect them, but it is going to effect mainline games as you probably won't have a specific trainer appear if their signature pokemon isn't part of the region dex.

I guess this effectively kills Pokemon World Tournament ever coming back as well...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Masters is going to be monetized to hell. I imagine Pokémon Sleep will have items to purchase as well.

That's just the new direction for the series.

It'll be interesting to see if Pokémon Home has microtransactions for our main series Pokémon. That would be a point of no return.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
Preorder canceled. I'm out. Gamefreak not including all pokemons is a huge mistake.
Why would anyone defend them? With how big this franchise is,Gamefreak studio should be way bigger to match expectations and quality. Some devs make game way more ambitious than this in 3 years so that's not an excuse.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
What happened to Gamefreak to cause them to almost completely ignore their longtime fans?
I can't imagine constantly spitting on them is going to be great for the brand.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Preorder canceled. I'm out. Gamefreak not including all pokemons is a huge mistake.
Why would anyone defend them? With how big this franchise is,Gamefreak studio should be way bigger to match expectations and quality. Some devs make game way more ambitious than this in 3 years so that's not an excuse.

Read the other threads

There are legitimate compromises the fanbase would be willing to take with a roster reduction but they include massive changes to the game that fans have been crying for

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it won't affect them, but it is going to effect mainline games as you probably won't have a specific trainer appear if their signature pokemon isn't part of the region dex.

I guess this effectively kills Pokemon World Tournament ever coming back as well...

Let's be real, that was never going to happen. Even if they make Gen 5 remakes, they would ignore the improvements and additions of BW2 and stick to vanilla BW.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought the backlash was overblown because surely the majority don't really care about bringing their old team from previous games.

Then I realized how DUMB I was :/

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Gamefreak should have had the foresight to know that adding more and more and more and more and more Pokemon, forms and gimmicks would come back to bite them.

Think about Gen 4 and 5

Were all those random babies in Gen 4 really needed? They don't do anything. They're Pokemon that exist just to exist and look cute. And then Gen V decided it wanted to add 150 new Pokemon, and so we end up with a bunch of Pokemon that fit in similar niches as older Pokemon, thus basically doubling up on the same themes. Then every legendary had to get some new form that used some new arbitrary item. And Megas. Pokemon that evolve in weirdly specific ways using gimmicks that may never come back (this REALLY bit them when it came to Milotic, so much so they actually had to make a new evolution method, something that they had never done before and haven't done again)

At some point they had to know it was going to come crashing down and hit a point of no return, but they just kept going. Finally in Gen 7 (and a bit in Gen 6) they realized that adding piles of new Pokemon every game was not going to be feasible anymore and eased up on it. But it's too late. Those random babies from Gen 4, those Megas, those redundant Gen 5 Pokemon, they're in the series now. They're Pokemon. And they're someone's favorite.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As a fan since the beginning I'm not really concerned as of yet, I hope that is is an opportunity to rebalance some pokemon and revamp the pokedex itself.

Revisting things like the Nidoran genders and revamping them into one pokemon, introducing the mega forms as a new evolution (for some) and new forms (for others), changing Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon to evolve by their respective stones. Change the Dex order so that families are grouped together rather than being separated by different generations. Stuff like that

As well as balancing types like Ice and reworking pokemon star distribution and abilities to make them work better.

The leaks suggest
new cross gen evolutions
So they are at least going back and changing up some pokemon

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak should have had the foresight to know that adding more and more and more and more and more Pokemon, forms and gimmicks would come back to bite them.

Think about Gen 4 and 5

Were all those random babies in Gen 4 really needed? They don't do anything. They're Pokemon that exist just to exist and look cute. And then Gen V decided it wanted to add 150 new Pokemon, and so we end up with a bunch of Pokemon that fit in similar niches as older Pokemon, thus basically doubling up on the same themes. Then every legendary had to get some new form that used some new arbitrary item. And Megas. Pokemon that evolve in weirdly specific ways using gimmicks that may never come back (this REALLY bit them when it came to Milotic, so much so they actually had to make a new evolution method, something that they had never done before and haven't done again)

At some point they had to know it was going to come crashing down and hit a point of no return, but they just kept going. Finally in Gen 7 (and a bit in Gen 8) they realized that adding piles of new Pokemon every game was not going to be feasible anymore and eased up on it. But it's too late. Those random babies from Gen 4, those Megas, those redundant Gen 5 Pokemon, they're in the series now. They're Pokemon. And they're someone's favorite.

Yup!

If they keep them they should be reworked to be statistically viable early game pokemon like everything else in their tier.

This logic could be applied all over the place. Fluff and gimmicks everywhere that make large parts of the roster redundant or useless.

As a fan since the beginning I'm not really concerned as of yet, I hope that is is an opportunity to rebalance some pokemon and revamp the pokedex itself.

Revisting things like the Nidoran genders and revamping them into one pokemon, introducing the mega forms as a new evolution (for some) and new forms (for others), changing Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Sylveon to evolve by their respective stones. Change the Dex order so that families are grouped together rather than being separated by different generations. Stuff like that

As well as balancing types like Ice and reworking pokemon star distribution and abilities to make them work better.

The leaks suggest
new cross gen evolutions

THIS

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): personal attack, off-site drama
I told Joe from Serebii in this thread the same thing. A banner or something special on the site would be huge to get the attention of more casuals that don't know about this decision. But he went on a rant about people being dicks and harassing devs (wut?) so i guess it ended up on nothing.
He is banning people from his Discord for talking about it. At the end of the day, he is just a giant yesman for GameFreak no matter how badly he would like you to think otherwise.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Also what annoys me is that I know they're not going to use this chance to clean up stupid stuff like Mantine needed an incense to breed a Mantyke and the 238334 item+trade evolutions added over the years to retrofit old Pokemon with new evolutions.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
He is banning people from his Discord for talking about it. At the end of the day, he is just a giant yesman for GameFreak no matter how badly he would like you to think otherwise.

You realize this isnt a one sided discussion right?

Also what annoys me is that I know they're not going to use this chance to clean up stupid stuff like Mantine needed an incense to breed a Mantyke.

One could only hope that Masuda's musings about balance and cutting mega's/Z moves would hopefully lead to other compelling fixes and changes the game desperately needs

But faith is pretty low in GF at the moment

Pokemon DOES need a clean up and update but the design focus on Dynamax is concerning in this regard

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We definitely need a Nidoran retcon. But why fix something when you can just sweep it under the rug?

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The leaks suggest
new cross gen evolutions

They plan to go forward with this trash for future games, there are literal chances that people's favorite Pokemon won't be usable for years, some will probably be completely abandoned. This isn't cool. This isn't worth balancing shit, which let's be real, they won't do. They even know how important that it is for trainers to bring their pokemon with them to the next generation, they made a service for that, twice, for a reason.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
One could only hope that Masuda's musings about balance and cutting mega's/Z moves would hopefully lead to other compelling fixes and changes the game desperately needs

But faith is pretty low in GF at the moment

Pokemon DOES need a clean up and update but the design focus on Dynamax is concerning in this regard
Yea, Pokemon desperately needed a cleanup and simplification of past evolution/breeding gimmicks, but this is not going to happen, even after cutting Pokemon.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

So he's like the unofficial pokemon.com, lmao. Same tactic as nintendo i see.

Not surprised, guess the whole no experience thing in gen5 got him on too much official trouble. GF won't do shit about sword and shield if people aren't vocal.

They know the games will sell either way, because the kid fandom doesn't understand the problem.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They plan to go forward with this trash for future games, there are literal chances that people's favorite Pokemon won't be usable for years, some will probably be completely abandoned. This isn't cool. This isn't worth balancing shit, which let's be real, they won't do. They even know how important that it is for trainer to bring their pokemon with them to the next generation, they made a service for that, twice, for a reason.

I would be more interested in bringing my favorites if many of them were fixed, improved, or given some cool exclusive skills man

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
So he's like the unofficial pokemon.com, lmao. Same tactic as nintendo i see.

Not surprised, guess the whole no experience thing in gen5 got him on too much official trouble. GF won't do shit about sword and shield if people aren't vocal.

They know the games will sell either way, because the kid fandom doesn't understand the problem.
It's sad. Serebii could really help in making GF know people aren't happy.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And if GF somehow listen to people and chance this he will go "See, never say GF doesn't listen to it's fans😏" or something like that.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
GF is known to plan things ahead. I'm worried if they backpedal now what that would mean for the future of the series.

Would they just think "welp, we tried to expand and evolve the game but people preferred more incremental stuff, so let's just keep doing that I guess".

Not that what they've shown so far justifies it. But I'm worried that whatever ambition they still have is killed off by this.

I'd be so down if this was an actual reboot.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any positives about this. This is one of those times pokemon fans should unite as one.

Playing Ultra Sun makes me depressed knowing I won't be able to transfer all my favorites.

There are at least 2 other topics of fans talking about what changes would be acceptable in a roster limited game

Its not as simple as you think but ill give you that the majority of us don't think GF is capable of delivering compelling changes to justify limiting the roster

Im open to it if they actually do the work to the game that it desperately needs

Status
Not open for further replies.