• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The other issue is why should I even bother getting invested in any new pokemon they introduce going forward? How do I know the new corgi pokemon will be able to follow me into the gen 4 remake next year? Or gen 8? Or whatever other titles they have in the works? I don't, so now I'm going to stay detached because I don't want to get hurt when my pokemon can't come with me.

Can you imagine if Gamefreak came out and said "due to balance and animation pikachu, lucario, and charizard won't be in gen 8"? No, of course not, so why should it be acceptable for any pokemon regardless of popularity? Every pokemon is someone's favorite.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't really looked at the arrows on that image. imagine transferring your best pogo mon to home because you really want to use it, only to realize it's useless and can't leave home for potentially years

WizardMemories

Alt account
Banned
May 22, 2019
Reminder, the Pokémon Conference had this slide with Home's reveal on top of the company's words about how much they care about bringing stuff forward

ApleHxj.jpg

Does this slide seem honest to you with everything we know now?

Pokémon Direct comes out, not a mention about anything being an issue. Everything is hunky dory, people are excited.

E3 direct comes out, not a mention of anything, instead they talk about the Pokéball Go+

Now alot of people would have peaced out after the the direct instead of watching a half an hour demo stream afterwards, cause why would anyone possibly assume that there would be bad news coming?

Demo goes along, games seems totally fine. But then at the very end, they slip in said detail that is pissing people off like it's not a big deal.

Like what was the thought process over the last few months when they were preparing for all of these reveals? Did they really think throwing such a huge thing at the end of a demo stream wouldn't be an issue? Or that it was the most honest and transparent way to disclose this information compared to having THREE OPPORTUNITIES with a large viewing audience to say something?

It's just baffling
Yes.
We can send Pokemon from Home to SwSh. They didn't specify how many of them.
GameFreak are POS but they have not lied.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can convince yourself of anything, eh?

It's just weird because the only reason I've been hard on them (prior to this even) is precisely because I love the series so much and want the games to be good

I don't think endlessly apologizing for horrible direction does much for the future of the games but I guess I'm just Some Person

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If GF's plan with each new generation of Pokémon is to selectively cut off unpopular ones or whatever so they can work with the roster to add their new gimmicks and animations, I'd much rather they just stopped making new entire generations of Pokémon and just focused on the ones they already have. Even that is better than the intended cut.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of shitty to say that they enjoy bringing people's Pokémon forward through the generations only to keep them locked up in a digital prison with a subscription fee.

In the past, people could subscribe to Pokémon Bank once, migrate everything to Pokémon X/Sun, and then end their subscription. It could be used as a one-time migration service rather than a never ending subscription.

It's almost like they're forcing people to stay subscribed forever by removing the exits.

Like they're turning the Pokémon franchise into one big subscription service. Hmmmmm.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If GF's plan with each new generation of Pokémon is to selectively cut off unpopular ones or whatever so they can work with the roster to add their new gimmicks and animations, I'd much rather they just stopped making new entire generations of Pokémon and just focused on the ones they already have. Even that is better than the intended cut.

I feel Pokemon gens should increase in general, honestly. Make them last for 6 years, rather than the 3 to 4 that they have now. Probably will have to now that they're dealing with HD development.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The other issue is why should I even bother getting invested in any new pokemon they introduce going forward? How do I know the new corgi pokemon will be able to follow me into the gen 4 remake next year? Or gen 8? Or whatever other titles they have in the works? I don't, so now I'm going to stay detached because I don't want to get hurt when my pokemon can't come with me.

Can you imagine if Gamefreak came out and said "due to balance and animation pikachu, lucario, and charizard won't be in gen 8"? No, of course not, so why should it be acceptable for any pokemon regardless of popularity? Every pokemon is someone's favorite.

What it really kills are breeders. I am a breeder. I have spent thousands of hours picking Pokémon I like with unique movesets or shinies. I breed them, then train them to competitive standards, and sort them in to my huge collection. This is my favorite part of the series. Often I will browse for a new Pokémon to breed just based on how interesting its moveset is regardless of whether or not it's good.

Strength Sap Vileplume. Belly Drum Slurpuff. Infestation Weezing. Guts+Facade Ursaring. Quiver Dance Venomoth. Full-coverage Silvally. I love these Pokémon because they are fun to battle with and have really unique implementations. These are the Pokémon I connect most with, and spend the most time using, and always really look forward to using. These are my Pokémon and why I play the series.

I am all for gating the campaign and limiting the Pokémon you are intended to use during that experience. I actually strongly favor this. I often think there are too many Pokémon in the base game, and too many familiar faces, and having to work with what's available to you is rarely required. I'd say 250 Pokémon in any regional Dex is a sweetspot I'd prefer. If Pokémon is meant to be a proper RPG with a difficulty curve and a challenge there needs to be carefully curated availability and creatures only intended to appear or be available at specific points. So I am all for saying that you can't just use anything you want until you finish the story.

But afterward?

If I can't breed and play with the Pokémon that uniquely interest me at that point I have no reason to keep playing. It also hugely undervalues all the work I've done over the last decade. It's just awful for me.

Last edited:

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel Pokemon gens should increase in general, honestly. Make them last for 6 years, rather than the 3 to 4 that they have now. Probably will have to now that they're dealing with HD development.
I wouldn't mind that. But then the series would need to stop taking baby steps with each installment and actually have revamped animations and models for all Pokémon.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The Mega/Z-Move removal topic brings up another theory

If they are truly upending the balance in a big way some pokemon and mechanics may be seeing major changes, rebalance, type changes, stat changes etc..

Its possible that some pokemon wont update and convert since they still may be in the decision making process with how each on will fit in the new meta

In fact this could be grounds to exclude certain pokemon indefinitely until a properly balanced Stat/Ability/Type setup is figured out for the new generation meta

I am giving game freak wwaaaaayyy to much credit here but considering people have loved competitive pokemon for a long time I would almost consider another possible major shift an opportunity?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, instead of defending

It's a shame. If sites like Serebii would react a little more strongly about this chances are Nintendo would listen sooner. They did with the Mario Maker online stuff

Agreed. If there's a time for the fandom to join and be vocal is this one. The game will still sell millions so they can put us all down the rug if we don't make enough noise.

I told Joe from Serebii in this thread the same thing. A banner or something special on the site would be huge to get the attention of more casuals that don't know about this decision. But he went on a rant about people being dicks and harassing devs (wut?) so i guess it ended up on nothing.

And now he's defending GF. Some things never change.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If they cave to backlash when they were in the middle of completely upending and redesigning their old tropes and meta I would be a little sad

Would love to see some old tropes go away and far more viable and interesting pokemon going forward even if it takes longer to update the legacy list to compensate

Though They did get things done when Fairy was introduced and maybe they should stick to updating pokemon and the meta in smaller batches over time instead of going for massive long term changes

I dunno what do you guys think?

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Agreed. If there's a time for the fandom to join and be vocal is this one. The game will still sell millions so they can put us all down the rug if we don't make enough noise.

I told Joe from Serebii in this thread the same thing. A banner or something special on the site would be huge to get the attention of more casuals that don't know about this decision. But he went on a rant about people being dicks and harassing devs (wut?) so i guess it ended up on nothing.

And now he's defending GF. Some things never change.
That's why you should be a sensible fan of something and not a blind fanboy who defends and accepts anything companies throw your way.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That's why you should be a sensible fan of something and not a blind fanboy who defends and accepts anything companies throw your way.

Omg stop

Nobody is doing this and its a fucking childish and toxic accusation to throw around in threads. Maybe try actually engaging in the counterpoints?

Some of us are conflicted on this as opposed to being 100% against the decision

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind that. But then the series would need to stop taking baby steps with each installment and actually have revamped animations and models for all Pokémon.

I'm giving them two extra years so they won't make this mistake again, but if they have time for new models and animations, neat. This does bring up something else though, the anime. There's no way they can stretch out a single region for 6 years, it would get dull rather quick. But they do have an excuse to be creative and make their own new leagues and areas like the orange islands, and give Ash something like a victory without canonically winning a "real" league.

If they cave to backlash when they were in the middle of completely upending and redesigning their old tropes and meta I would be a little sad

Would love to see some old tropes go away and far more viable and interesting pokemon going forward even if it takes longer to update the legacy list to compensate

Though They did get things done when Fairy was introduced and maybe they should stick to updating pokemon and the meta in smaller batches over time instead of going for massive long term changes

I feel that bringing back all the pokemon first is a better thing to focus on than working on the meta, and they can focus on redesigning that meta for Tempered Sword and Polished Shield (what I call the Ultra version of the game) that will come probably in a couple of years. In fact, it would be best that way since they can see how the players play with the new Pokemon vs the old, and balance around that.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Gamefreak doesn't have a grasp of the meta. It's a runaway train.

If they wanted to rebalance things, they would start with fixing Ice Type. Not by snapping half of them out of existence.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
think of all the poor game developers who may lose their jobs because people didn't like gamefreak lying to them

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak doesn't have a grasp of the meta. It's a runaway train.

If they wanted to rebalance things, they would start with fixing Ice Type. Not by snapping half of them out of existence.

Agreed

And there is little evidence at the moment that they are doing anything to the meta outside of cutting a bunch of stuff back to simpler times of previous generations

We need way more change than this to justify it

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like just a ripping off of the bandaid?

Like, it just doesn't seem tractable to keep adding more and more Pokémon without ever making cuts. Be reasonable.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Omg stop

Nobody is doing this and its a fucking childish and toxic accusation to throw around in threads. Maybe try actually engaging in the counterpoints?

Some of us are conflicted on this as opposed to being 100% against the decision
I don't get what is there to be conflicted about. All past pokemon games had their own regional pokemon but after you were done with the game, you could transfer any past pokemon you wanted. I don't see any reason someone would want less rather than all, especially when that all was the basic expectation for many years. Oh wait my mistake they did this again in pokemon Ruby/Saphire and we saw how well that went.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Another thing I don't understand is the following:

Let's say GF refuses to update SwSh with the missing Pokémon and then they make some new game with a different selection of Pokémon. Eventually, you'll have every Pokémon once again ready for HD games. Then, why just exclude Pokémon you have already finalized from new entries?

In any case, the whole idea of focusing on getting a Regional Dex ready for the release of the first games of a gen and then eventually patching the rest months later down the line, whenever Home support comes, and having the entire National Dex ready for the following games of the gen makes way too much sense not to do it. This is basically what happened in Sun and Moon and XY in practice, only that they had the entire dex ready at launch (and barely used it anyway).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what is there to be conflicted about. All past pokemon games had their own regional pokemon but after you were done with the game, you could transfer any past pokemon you wanted. I don't see any reason someone would want less rather than all, especially when that all was the basic expectation for many years. Oh wait my mistake they did this again in pokemon Ruby/Saphire and we saw how well that went.
hey

ruby and sapphire retroactively supported the Gen 1/2 Pokémon that they added in the GameCube games and the Gen 1 remakes.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
In Diamond and Pearl, there exists a place called Amity Square

In Amity Square, a small group of Pokemon can follow you around and you interact with them, like in Pokemon Yellow. It was a neat little thing, but limited to only a handful of Pokemon.

Then Platinum came out, and added a few more Pokemon to Amity Square. Now you could take the starters and all their evolutions around the park.

Then HG/SS came out and every Pokemon could follow you around, anywhere.

If camping required them to cut half the Pokemon in the series, why not just limit camping to the Pokemon they could get working with it, like they had done in the past with a new feature that required new animations. And then iterate on it as more games come out until they've put in the work needed to be 100% compatible with every Pokemon

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who told you they were redesigning anything? They are just splitting the pokemon you can use for different games. There's no major overhaul being done, nothing has pointed to that (and certainly not dynamaxing).

The mythical camping shit, so complex (that i doubt is far more than what pokemon amie required in animations), if it ends up being the reason for this, probably will be some minigames and done.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

There are several compelling counterpoints buried in this thread as well as two new threads on the front page that shows that fans are indeed willing to have roster compromise if Game Freak went in certain directions with massive game changes

As people have pointed out in this thread though... there doesn't appear to be evidence of the changes required to offset the roster restriction at the moment

Who told you they were redesigning anything? They are just splitting the pokemon you can use for different games. There's no major overhaul being done, nothing has pointed to that (and certainly not dynamaxing).

The mythical camping shit, so complex (that i doubt is far more than what pokemon amie required in animations), if it ends up being the reason for this, probably will be some minigames and done.

Yes I know I covered this

I was addressing a theoretical situation where many posters would swallow the roster restricting pill given certain compromises

Masuda claims through various excuses that the restriction is due to "balancing" which would be compelling if they were considering massive changes to stats, typing, evolutions, items and so forth with a meta shift on par to the introductions they did with Fairy type or Megas/Z moves (which are being left behind)

As of now their is only evidence of cuts with the only replacement being the luekwarm reception to dynamax.

Whats scary to me is that this whole "rebalance" initiative is them trying to bring pokemon down to its simpler roots as opposed to doing something truly complex and interesting going forward

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking at it from another perspective, I can see this being Game Freak's opportunity to jettison a lot of messy legacy.

Look at it this way. Aside from the Pokémon themselves, every mainline Pokémon game needs to provide:
  • Rain/fog to evolve Sliggo
  • Moss Rock to evolve Leafeon
  • Ice Rock to evolve Glaceon
  • Magnetic field to evolve Magnezone, Probopass and Vikavolt
  • Icy mountain to evolve Crabominable
  • Gyro check to evolve Malamar
  • Deep-Sea Scale to evolve Gorebyss
  • Deep-Sea Tooth to evolve Huntail
  • Dragon Scale to evolve Kingdra
  • Up-Grade to evolve Porygon2
  • Dubious Disc to evolve Porygon-Z
  • Electirizer to evolve Electivire
  • King's Rock to evolve Slowking/Politoed
  • Magmarizer to evolve Magmortar
  • Metal Coat to evolve Steelix/Scizor
  • Oval Stone to evolve Chansey (from Happiny)
  • Prism Scale to evolve Milotic
  • Protector to evolve Rhyperior
  • Razor Claw to evolve Weavile
  • Razor Fang to evolve Gliscor
  • Reaper Cloth to evolve Dusknoir
  • Sachet to evolve Aromatisse
  • Whipped Dream to evolve Slurpuff
  • 47 Mega Stones to use Mega Evolution
  • 18 type-specific Z-Crystals
  • 17 Pokémon-specific Z-Crystals
  • Gracidea to form change Shaymin
  • Red Orb to form change Groudon
  • Blue Orb to form change Kyogre
  • Griseous Orb to form change Giratina
  • 17 Plates to type-change Arceus
  • DNA Splicers to fuse Kyurem with Zekrom/Reshiram
  • Reveal Glass to form change Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus
  • 4 Drives to type-change Genesect's Techno Blast
  • Prison Bottle to form change Hoopa
  • 4 Nectars to form change Oricorio
  • 17 Memories to type-change Silvally
  • N-Solarizer to fuse Necrozma and Solgaleo
  • N-Lunarizer to fuse Necrozma and Lunala
  • Pokémon Go connectivity to evolve Melmetal
I'm probably still missing some, but that's a full 151(!) items plus 6 in-game conditions.
All of these items/conditions have to be provided in-game, usually through NPCs. It's actually insane how much cruft they created for themselves by introducing all of these quirky evolution methods.
Somehow they miraculously managed to provide all of these in Sun/Moon, but it was very painfully obvious that a lot of NPCs literally only existed just to give you this one item. It came off as very forced.

...having said all that, I'm still not happy with the decision to remove my ability to take out my Pokémon and use them when I choose to. The worst part is that Pokémon Home is only forwards-compatible, so all of the Pokémon I send there are essentially in indefinite cold storage (which I have to pay for).

So, my unpopular opinion is that I support Game Freak's decision to shave off the cruft and make the games they want to make, but they still need to acknowledge the legacy they've created for themselves.

Here's an idea for free, Game Freak:
Make a Pokémon game (or even put this into Home's Switch version) that is purely functional for training, breeding, trading and battling all 800+ Pokémon. No need for a world, a story or even updated models (you can upres the Sun/Moon ones).
You could have a small simulator room to recreate evolution conditions and a vending machine to provide the evolution/form change items. It doesn't need to be more complex than that.

That way the competitive scene could still be active, GF can balance their games based on a limited scope for each one, and I wouldn't feel like my Pokémon were rotting away in storage.
Game Freak should be changing evolution methods so that they don't need to consider all this shit every single game. I believe stuff like this is mostly why they want to cut Pokemon too. But they shouldn't need to. Make some shit easier to access like one area for all the forme change shit, and no location or item based evolutions.

Also I don't believe their animation excuse. I don't give a fuck about some extra special animation on some Pokemon camping when you have tank-control NPCs and bad battle animations. Y'know, probably worth half the game.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
As a casual player coming back for the first time seriously since Diamond/Pearl (I did play about half of Sun/Moon), this really doesn't bother me. I do appreciate that it sucks for others who have been more committed to the series though.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, it just doesn't seem tractable to keep adding more and more Pokémon without ever making cuts. Be reasonable.
This is only because Game Freak is egregiously understaffed (140 people). Other companies have even 10000 people employed in making an AAA game (e.g. Ubisoft for AC) but a company handling a multi billion franchise cannot hire 1000 animators for the transition to HD? Is the Pokemon franchise smaller than a tenth of Assassin's Creed?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, Pokémon Go is going to achieve it. Eventually. Maybe another 3 years to get to Gen 8.

It's not like they have storage issues on Switch. The Witcher 3 is 32GB with five open worlds.

What they have is a work capacity issue. But that's an organizational issue, not a game storage issue. And it can be solved through a post-game patch, or by increasing their capacity properly by outsourcing or hiring new workers.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is only because Game Freak is egregiously understaffed (140 people). Other companies have even 10000 people employed in making an AAA game (e.g. Ubisoft for AC) but a company handling a multi billion franchise cannot hire 1000 animators for the transition to HD? Is the Pokemon franchise smaller than a tenth of Assassin's Creed?

They don't even need that many animators. A team of 50 could do a lot for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.