• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if most original 151 will be in this since they were in let's go. To be honest I wonder if they view the original 151 as a foundation and to maximize profits make sure most if not all of them get into every generation to "carry" the games sales since they feel like they need to depend on them.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if most original 151 will be in this since they were in let's go. To be honest I wonder if they view the original 151 as a foundation and to maximize profits make sure most if not all of them get into every generation to "carry" the games sales since they feel like they need to depend on them.

Fairy type introduction helped but the original 151 needs some serious changes if they are gonna keep parading them out

Alolan forms were nice but we need new abilities, moves, and typing additions

Of course this goes for the entire roster but the 151 especially.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations - no need to have "defense force"-type rhetoric, thank you for understanding.
If you've never played before and have nothing to transfer, you will not be impacted at all.
You will have around the same amount of Pokemon to catch as in every other game.

People are mad because they won't be able to bring their Grand Ma's Meloetta to battle in the new game, they will only be able to see it, the last precious memory of their dead grand-mother, in Pokemon Home, starting in early 2020.
Or continue to play with it in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

It's really sad for them, you wouldn't understand.

You intended to bring your living Dex inside SwSh?
All of them?

Mine is in Bank, I had no intention of bringing them in-game.
The only one I needed were for breeding, and I wouldn't have access to them when the game launches anyway.

There is really no need to feel bad for the competitive players.
The pool is always restricted for the first game of a generation, it does not change a thing.

I have never seen this thing in my life.
And now, thanks to Game Freaks, I never will again.

Gamefreak defense force! Assemble!

I bet Kanto will be the only complete generation that's safe.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody ELI5 this situation to me? I haven't played Pokemon in a long time and planned on returning here.
Every new set of games until now (excluding last year's Let's Go titles, which were seemingly exceptions to the rule at the time) have contained data for every previous game's Pokémon. That way, even if a particular Pokémon isn't obtainable in the new game on its own, you could still transfer it forward from the previous games.

Beginning with Sword and Shield, that will no longer be the case. You will only be able to bring forward select Pokémon from previous titles, and not all Pokémon from previous games can be obtained.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak defense force! Assemble!

Not needed

Most people agree on the boneheaded stuff

The more practical debate about whether to carry on old content forever in perpetuity as the series continues is more nuanced and presents obvious problems which the fanbase defense force goes at great length to defend in an equally silly manner

That said Game Freak does cater to that base and then rip out the rug over and over again so I hold them accountable for that and honestly... Sword and Shield do not represent such a massive leap to me that neccessitates cutting support

If you've never played before and have nothing to transfer, you will not be impacted at all.
You will have around the same amount of Pokemon to catch as in every other game.

People are mad because they won't be able to bring their Grand Ma's Meloetta to battle in the new game, they will only be able to see it, the last precious memory of their dead grand-mother, in Pokemon Home, starting in early 2020.
Or continue to play with it in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

It's really sad for them, you wouldn't understand.

You intended to bring your living Dex inside SwSh?
All of them?

Mine is in Bank, I had no intention of bringing them in-game.
The only one I needed were for breeding, and I wouldn't have access to them when the game launches anyway.

There is really no need to feel bad for the competitive players.
The pool is always restricted for the first game of a generation, it does not change a thing.

I have never seen this thing in my life.
And now, thanks to Game Freaks, I never will again.
Yes, i'm sure insulting people will do a fantastic job of turning the tide on this reaction.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's truly a design decision why not just limit the online battles? They could even do seasons and such with rotations of eligible pokemon to add some variety and address balance issues.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so then this is legit? We really are never getting all Pokemon in a single game ever again until they change policies?
ad9c5c3156c17113552e61e6536e0e84.png

Game Freak is really thinking that this is a good idea???

EXIT: Oh shoot I didn't see that ArchedThunder posted it already sorry.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
See now,

When we get SWSH, we wouldn't have been able to transfer. So this doesn't affect the main experience.

The problem is when it comes after, with the post-game and competitive. It's really a shame. It's not a deal breaker as each game is its own entity until transfer comes a few months down the line.

I still expect them to change their mind, put out patches every few months adding classic Pokémon back in, allowing us to get them through Max Raid Battles

Note: The above is wishful speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

From your lips to Arceus' ears. That would be a good compromise.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so then this is legit? We really are never getting all Pokemon in a single game ever again until they change policies?
ad9c5c3156c17113552e61e6536e0e84.png

Game Freak is really thinking that this is a good idea???

EXIT: Oh shoot I didn't see that ArchedThunder posted it already sorry.
Can we riot outside the HQ now? This is even worse!

They should just delay Sword and Shield at this point, forget the cogs, this is a horrible decision. One step forward, a hundred steps back.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh trust me, i know gamefreak and have shit on them hard in the past and even with following Pokemon not returning in SS. This time though I genuinely think this is not another classic dumb gamefreak move. Don't forget that they have to make new walking animations too and probably replace some.

This is the dumbest shit they've ever done, that goes against the core principle of the whole series.

It's a big fuck you to the fans, and people defending it it's a testament to why GF has never, ever faced backlash for the removal of features, low quality of games in many aspects, uninspired choices and overall mishandling of the pokemon games. An IP, that you know, sells millions and millions.

If it's time, as some are speculating, then the studio can hire more people. Weren't they developing some town game for the switch? i mean they have the time to develop other shit but give the bare minimum to the biggest franchise in the world? I mean this is really perplexing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys keep saying this like you dont recognize the inevitable diminishing returns of this development approach

We already have mountains of people who complain about how far behind the curve GF is in damn near every thread

Eventually as the series bloats something has to give. Someone has to make the call. You think the creative resources and talent can just balloon and support this forever by just throwing money at them?
why? again, how is it unreasonable to expect them to keep bringing them forward when everything is future proofed?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've said it before and I'll say it again: keeping 1000+ Pokemon per game is unsustainable. This change has more advantages than disavantages:

- If certain Pokemon are missing, the metal could be much more Dynamic

- The Pokemon we get in future games will have better animations

- It can make every Pokemon game feel unique with different Pokemon each time

Look at other games: Monster Hunter World cut down the number of monsters and was universally praised, Gran Turismo Sport went from 1000 cars to 140 at launch, and once people saw how detailed every car was they stopped complaining. Just wait and see what they come up with before complaining.

Oct 26, 2017
Data miners will likely uncover some clues as to whether this decision was relatively last minute or not.
If things unique to the Pokemon not making it in(moves/abilities) are not referenced at all the cuts were probably in the planning documents from early on, if those things do exist it's more likely the cuts were a late call.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again: keeping 1000+ Pokemon per game is unsustainable. This change has more advantages than disavantages:

Look at other games: Monster Hunter World cut down the number of monsters and was universally praised, Gran Turismo Sport went from 1000 cars to 140 at launch, and once people saw how detailed every car was they stopped complaining. Just wait and see what they come up with before complaining.

I thought about diving into Monster Hunter as a way to connect since we are very much going through a similar process in our community but its not quite the same exact thing so I opted against it

There are parallels for sure though!

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Creative burnout?

Maybe the whole process needs to be outsourced but even then what would they do when the next serious mechanical change happens?
I'd be more worried about that if there was a serious mechanical change. I think more people would understand their decision if they weren't still using the same models with the same animations.

This ain't no Monster Hunter World

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
Finally saw this...

Well, the majority of my favorite Pokemon are legendary. So I am screwed in that department. It's honestly a huge bummer for me because I don't see them bringing things like Cresselia and Shaymin in Galar among other things.

I so desperately want GF to patch in the other Pokemon down the line, but my hope for them doing that is almost non-existent.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It makes me wonder what's going on at GF. He should feasibly have the power to ensure this dosen't happen, so why does it?
He might have absolute power over GameFreak, but they're just one cog in the multimillion dollar machine that brings the franchise to life. They probably had a hard deadline from TPCi, and this is the only way to meet it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more worried about that if there was a serious mechanical change. I think more people would understand their decision if they weren't still using the same models with the same animations.

This ain't no Monster Hunter World

yeah clearly Sword and Shield are building of many of the same content work already done on 3DS and Lets Go

They definitely have less of an argument with this game than something transformative like MHW

And even then... we are looking at a lot of our favorites being rebuilt in Monster Hunter World as we speak... though we aren't pushing anywhere near 1000 monsters lol

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It makes me wonder what's going on at GF. He should feasibly have the power to ensure this dosen't happen, so why does it?
The franchise.

Like I said folks are ignoring there's already an anime set to air in November, alongside TCG products.

The anime is probably the biggest reason a delay is unlikely. There's probably a lot of money put in by TPCI to have the air time slots on TVTokyo.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I so desperately want GF to patch in the other Pokemon down the line, but my hope for them doing that is almost non-existent.
That's one of the things data miners will probably be able to tell you if that's on the cards when they get their hands on the game. It doesn't seem like something GF would do, but if it was actually a late decision like Joe speculates there may be some hope for it.

And even then... we are looking at a lot of our favorites being rebuilt in Monster Hunter World as we speak... though we aren't pushing anywhere near 1000 monsters lol
MonHunMons are a lot more complicated too though. If you strip out the minigames etc all you need for a Pokemon is a 3D model, 5-8 animations and some data tables.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
He might have absolute power over GameFreak, but they're just one cog in the multimillion dollar machine that brings the franchise to life. They probably had a hard deadline from TPCi, and this is the only way to meet it.
Probably not unlikely, execs putting profit above all else.
I wish Nintendo would buy the rest of the shares and take control, but I imagine they are horribly expensive.

Edit: Or I wish that between mainlines, they could just hand over the reins to a company like monolith, who can work on a game (like the DP remakes) without execs breathing down their necks.
But given how ORAS ended up, I'm not confident.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again: keeping 1000+ Pokemon per game is unsustainable.
Only because GF is obscenely understaffed, and yet again they had all the models and animations ready.
No need to kill pokémons for that, just disallow some pokémons in competitive setting like they have always done
They don't
It already happens with what you find in the wild, no need to erase species from existance for that. It's not worth it for some nebulous "uniqueness" (that is obtained by being subpar at that)
Look at other games: Monster Hunter World cut down the number of monsters and was universally praised, Gran Turismo Sport went from 1000 cars to 140 at launch, and once people saw how detailed every car was they stopped complaining.
It was universally praised despite the severely reduced number of monsters available, and it happened because of moving to HD and different mechanics, that in the case of pokémon happened with XY where they already did hi-res models of everyone specifically to have them adequate for future installments.
Also unless you can bring cars over between GT games it's not a comparable case either, cars are not characters also.
Just wait and see what they come up with before complaining.
I always dread what Game Freak comes up with for good reason

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

This is true in theory, but Pokémon Sword and Shield are not the reinvention MHW was.

I also don't believe that people should sit and wait for the game to come out before speaking up. Game Freak still has time to make the decision to patch the game later on, but fans need to let them know how important it is.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Transferring your old armours & weapons / cars was never a big part of either series. It's not comparable at all.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is the dumbest shit they've ever done, that goes against the core principle of the whole series.

It's a big fuck you to the fans, and people defending it it's a testament to why GF has never, ever faced backlash for the removal of features, low quality of games in many aspects, uninspired choices and overall mishandling of the pokemon games. An IP, that you know, sells millions and millions.

If it's time, as some are speculating, then the studio can hire more people. Weren't they developing some town game for the switch? i mean they have the time to develop other shit but give the bare minimum to the biggest franchise in the world? I mean this is really perplexing.
I have given my fair share of backlash and tbh im not really part of the gamefreak defence force. All I'm trying to say is that i get why they might've done this and it would have happened sooner rather than later anyway. I think they should have started doing this sooner so that way we could get more new Pokemon and probably more stuff to do with existing ones.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah as I looked into more it's definitely a development issue and not something done on purpose like I thought at the start. Hopefully they can patch it or else we won't have a full dex until the rest of the gen 8 games are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.