• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Breeding wasn't in LGPE though.

Masuda even commented on it like it was a positive change.

"I'd be really sad to think that for fans, Pokémon is just hatching eggs."
Hrm and here we went and named a breeding method after this guy - he literally encouraged people to breed by increasing the shiny rate between 2 different country-of-origin parents! Some of his quotes are truly mind boggling for a guy responsible for many of the best things about the Pokemon series.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
For the elective I had to use pure C/C++ with OpenGL (and SDL2), so I had to personally write functions to to parse .obj files describing the meshes and convert them in vertex arrays to pass to the GL functions, which is why I say that if they've created their own engine they could implement support for that model format (for which they already have the code from the previous engine that do support that format). Otherwise if they just built an engine from scratch without taking THAT into account, it would be another peak of incompetence
Yeah I'm thinking it's the latter then. C++ works best with UE. And no I'm not a full time game dev, I have just done some projects in it. Didn't like it. Lol

Oct 26, 2017
Hrm and here we went and named a breeding method after this guy - he literally encouraged people to breed by increasing the shiny rate between 2 different country-of-origin parents! Some of his quotes are truly mind boggling for a guy responsible for many of the best things about the Pokemon series.

Ever since 2014, Masuda has had a very misguided view of how people play and enjoy the Pokemon franchise. And in 2019, I feel like his attitude has now rubbed off on the rest of the team.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I literally just said y'all have no idea what their engine is like or what kind of pipeline they have or how those compare to previous games's development. It's wild that y'all are working on such limited information, but you still think you are right that this should be "easy", when you have no fucking idea.
And yet you, in your seemingly infinite knowledge of game development, didn't see fit to tell us that you do in fact possess that information? I'm aghast.

Your definition of the word "explain" is very broad, I see. That's what most of us would call "speculation." You know, the thing that all of us are doing in here. Nobody knows the exact condition under which this game is being developed, and nobody is denying the general idea that making games is hard. What everyone in here is saying is that having all of the Pokemon is a key component of any game in this series and it is inherently handicapped if they don't reach that bar. That's why a great deal of folks in here would support delaying the game if it meant we could get a full Dex. Literally the only pieces of information that we have are what they've given us: that they revamped Pokemon models and animations to avoid this very same scenario. If we're not allowed to speculate based on that, then what can we speculate on?

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's worse, the idea that they're unwilling or incapable to meet the barest of expectations we have, especially after the community was only placated last year by the promise of these games coming.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's worse, the idea that they're unwilling or incapable to meet the barest of expectations we have, especially after the community was only placated last year by the promise of these games coming.
It's worse that they don't even think the obvious solution.

"We'll add the others in patches with time".

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So I'm guessing we aren't going to really find out who is cut till the game is out or datamined right?

Disappointing news for sure but I'll still buy Sword, and I guess I'll be actually salty if a mon I really like gets cut.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think its honestly insane that they would think to do this- i get people have been coming up with excuses but they supposedly future-proofed all their models and with no real reason given to why they're not all here i just cant see this as anything but a huge mistake to make

either fix it through patches or delay it, its absurd that they're missing a crucial element of the series

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any favorite or past pokemon that you are interested in using? The other thing to keep in mind is I hope you don't develop a bond with pokemon from sword & shield or later as you will probably not get to use them again until GF tells you, you can.

None, cuz I haven't played any single of Pokemon game for almost two decade. That's why I asked about it. And I think I should be fine without worrying about carrying over old pokemons to it. It's like a refresh, new game for me, imo.

Not really, especially given that traditionally transfers were a post-game feature. This just sucks for long term fans who can't bring their old friends along for new adventure, and might concern you eventually if Game Freak decides to only allow certain Sword&Shield Pokémon in their next game.

Yup, just as I comment the above. SWSH was my very first Pokemon to be purchased. (I just preordered Sword version last Monday, btw)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
A problem that Pokemon has had for a while is that the first generation on a new console is compromised and janky, and the newer games fix a lot of the problems. I think it'll be Generation 9 that fixes this mess, but we'll have to hold on until 2022.

Oct 28, 2017
None, cuz I haven't played any single of Pokemon game for almost two decade. That's why I asked about it. And I think I should be fine without worrying about carrying over old pokemons to it. It's like a refresh, new game for me, imo.

Yup, just as I comment the above. SWSH was my very first Pokemon to be purchased. (I just preordered Sword version last Monday, btw)
Then I think you're good, enjoy the game!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So checking Reddit reminded me that Pokemon.com has a contact us link where you can send feedback. I believe the correct one for games should be this one: https://support.pokemon.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000019993

If you select one of the feedback categories there (probably "Handheld Game Feedback", I guess, since that's how Game Freak seems to see this) you should be able to (preferably respectfully) voice your displeasure. I don't have a lot of hope this will do anything, but direct contact is probably one of the best approaches in situations like these.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea if they just said that no one would give a shit, it'd basically be the same deal as the "no transfering for a month" or whatever period of time at the launch of XY and SM.

yeah seriously, I think game freak has some stuff i want them to improve at, but I refuse to believe they made the paid home service only for it to be pretty much worthless due to having the majority of the cast being unable to go anywhere.

I still think we will get an update on this where they will clarify the plans for pokes not in the galar dex.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah seriously, I think game freak has some stuff i want them to improve at, but I refuse to believe they made the paid home service only for it to be pretty much worthless due to having the majority of the cast being unable to go anywhere.

I still think we will get an update on this where they will clarify the plans for pokes not in the galar dex.

if it isnt in the galar dex, it doesnt exist in code.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
then maybe its time for nintendo to bite the bullet and buy their 33% of pokemon.

It'll never happen because no matter what stupid decisions gamefreak makes pokemon the games will continue to sell well to the casual pokemon consumer. Even if there are like 1 or 2 million diehards mad about this, they're still a pretty tiny fraction of the total audience.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
As long as Pokemon still sells 10 million per mediocre entry. This is not going to get better.

Fans brought a STAR WARS Game to it's knees. So we can definitely speak up and try to get them to listen.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be funny and kinda depressing if Digimon starts winning out over Pokemon as my go to Mon series. Old Digimon games, while fun, were janky, flawed messes most of the time, but nowadays they are much more polished and even outdo Pokemon in certain areas. They're still budget titles, but things like the signature attack animations in the Cyber Sleuth games feel like they have a lot more love put into them than most Pokemon attack animations. Hell, they've even been accomplishing things on the Vita that even now Pokemon just can't seem to get right. You know, like having three Digimon following you where SnS can't even manage one. They've also been talking about how ambitious they're trying to be with the upcoming Digimon Story game. Right now they have around 400 Digimon modeled that they use throughout their 3D games, and the director of the game has been saying that they want to push that to around 1000 for the next game. Gamefreak could use some of that ambition. It's a little sad that I'm more looking forward to Digimon games giving me my Mon fix now than to anything that's coming in the future for Pokemon. If Digimon would get better about letting you transfer your mons to new games (It's a thing in the Japanese version of the Cyber Sleuth games, but it wasn't brought over anywhere else for some reason) I'd be good to go.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so annoying how we had to deal with lots of crap in the 3ds games like shitty framerates, washed out colors and other crap because the high poly models just so GF can pull this. The post complaining about how ResetEra hated GF and how GameFreak never can win are kinda funny now.Never enable GameFreak.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I assume their plan is for us to wait until another main game makes them available (by most likely making unavailable most of the Pokémon that will now appear in SwSh).

So every new game, and every new generation, we'll have to check which Pokémon can be transferred and which ones have to wait for their turn.

I think that will be disgusting af, because now everybody will have to learn which Pokémon are in which games, and the compatibility between versions will be very difficult if not null.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I do like those precious few months where everyone is on even ground and can only use Pokémon found in the game until Bank opens the floodgates... but those gates have to open.

Really makes you wonder what exactly is the point of Pokémon Home at all. They can only be transferred into SS, so why use it at all if those not in the Galar Dex? You're undercutting your own service.

Is this really just to make the next Gen VIII games more appealing since they will have the remaining Pokémon? I can't believe they're simply not ready since Creatures is the one managing the actual Pokémon model creation last I heard.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's always something. If a Witcher 3 port can be put on a 32gb cart, so can pokemon. If it's a gameplay/balance issue, they can easily keep certain Pokémon out of gyms. There's no excuse for this

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What irks me is that less than two weeks ago Masuda was talking shit about how aware they are about how much fans treasure their Pokemon Collection.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a fuck you to the fanbase. With all the mediocre games they've released since XY, with lack of post game stuff, lack of features and such...

I think i'm gonna skip these. Hopefully fire emblem and astral chain make the rest of the year great.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Like, to me, this wouldn't be an issue if they didn't put up a pretense, at first, that you could take your Pokemon from game to game, gen to gen, thanks to Pokemon Bank. They've had us pay up to 5 years of subscriptions to a service that promised you'd be able to do just that. Then just two weeks ago, they essentially reinforced that you should consider your living dex or even just your favorite trained Pokemon precious by saying "hey, sorry, we're not continuing Pokemon Bank like we said... but here's ANOTHER service you can transfer them to!"

If they just said "screw it, we're wiping the slate, you'll get the rest in DPP remake/Gen 8 special versions/other future games" without that promise, it'd be one thing. But, essentially, they've lied to their customers. It's only made worse when they implied all the things that differed between LGPE and normal mainline games would be back in Gen 8. Apparently, that's a no!

And I mean, Digimon cuts monsters all the time between entries. People don't get upset because there's no pretense put up that they'll be worth getting attached to outside of the single game you catch and raise them in.

If this was how they were going to handle the sheer number of Pokemon, they shouldn't have even made Pokemon Bank at all. Once they made Pokemon Bank and made it a for-pay service, they did something they cannot easily take back. And doubling down with Pokemon Home just made this inevitable backlash a lot worse.

They can't have their cake and eat it too, basically.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing more than a ploy to get more money.

Want to use X Pokemon in gen Y? Better buy game Z. Don't want to? Well fuck you.

This news really hit me hard since I'm replaying Pokemon SoulSilver currently and my god it is very apparent that Game Freak actually cared back then. You can tell they pulled their souls into these games and held nothing back.

At least with Let's Go they had the excuse of it being a remake and also not a new generation but this?

Sword and Shield feel like a low effort cash grab.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, in the original Japanese Masuda says something like, "In summary, we have currently restricted the Pokemon you can transfer between Home and SS to Pokemon in the Gala Region Pokedex." and then shortly after, "More details will come in future interviews." Similar to the official translation but makes it crystal clear that it's just a summary of the change.

So we could very well get that kind of update or we could very well be boned. We will see I guess.

Source: I checked the Japanese myself.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean, in the original Japanese Masuda says something like, "In summary, we have currently restricted the Pokemon you can transfer between Home and SS to Pokemon in the Gala Region Pokedex." and then shortly after, "More details will come in future interviews." Similar to the official translation but makes it crystal clear that it's just a summary of the change.

So we could very well get that kind of update or we could very well be boned. We will see I guess.

Source: I checked the Japanese myself.
Interesting. I suppose it's worth noting that if Japanese fans are upset too, it's probably looking a bit dire, then...

Status
Not open for further replies.