• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
They might also "solve" this by developing a new Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution style game for the Switch... That'll be an easy way for them to sell a $60 game. The more I think about it, the more that seems like their likely course of action.

oh, that's very true - that's probably also what will end up happening

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If they were planning on adding them in patches they would have said that to stop the backlash they had to have known would be coming.

And no, don't even try to defend this. There is zero excuse, the majority of the work is done and if they don't personally have the time they can afford to outsource it.
They did say they'd explain more in media interviews which have yet to happen.

I'm not trying to defend this either. I think it sucks. However, I'm also a man of logic and facts here and it's not as simple as you make it out to be when they're trying to make all Pokémon more emotive

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
We really need to start a campaign to change this, if Nintendo listened about MM2 they can change this too

The outrage regarding this is far more severe than the outrage for the online friends thing in MM2. People are livid and justifiably so.

The problem is this is Game Freak and The Pokemon Company, and no so much Nintendo.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They did say they'd explain more in media interviews which have yet to happen.

I'm not trying to defend this either. I think it sucks. However, I'm also a man of logic and facts here and it's not as simple as you make it out to be when they're trying to make all Pokémon more emotive
So far we've seen zero evidence of any old Pokemon being more emotive.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I have legit hatched shiny pokemon sitting on my moon cartridge...perfect ev/iv Garchomp and Scizor...

Fuck off TPC. Seriously.

I've done shiny and IV hunting/breeding on my Gen 7 games getting ready for Gen 8 (for replays of the story and online battling/trading).

That's out the window now.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
You can just tell from Masuda's face, tone etc. that he himself isn't happy with this.
Yeah, he seemed pretty upset about it.

I don't think it'll affect the game that much tho, it's crazy to see people claiming they're not going to buy the game just for this. Still, there're easy ways to fix this, they can use the Max Raid or have events from time to time where they add new Pokémon to the Wild Area. I hope the game isn't rushed.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely need to patch this post-release. And add following Pokémon while they're at it as an apology.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think it basically came down to the fact they wanted them all in, but they found out they couldn't in the time allotted and so had to make cuts.

I honestly believe we'll get them back in time.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna say Wynaut hopskipping around town, but that's all.
As that not just it's walking or running animation?
Just like how they had shown no camera control meaning the game had no camera control, and no overworld Pokémon meant the game had no overworld Pokémon?
We've seen a decent amount of battles and they are all the standard fair animation wise. Even overworld Pokemon don't have anything extra, they are just using the existing animations and unnaturally snapping into new directions when they walk.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Just like how they had shown no camera control meaning the game had no camera control, and no overworld Pokémon meant the game had no overworld Pokémon?
Ding ding ding. I think this is a bummer as well, but as Joe said we need to be reasonable. If they're doing this and they assured that there's a reason for it, we'll get an explanation for sure. If it was as easy as "USUM had them all, why not SWSH", you can bet your ass they wouldn't lose all their competitive community just for the sake of casualizing.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Well they showed another Pokemon amie esque system already. What would have been understandable is them making battles far more animated and dynamic, but Scorbunny using physical attacks without even moving throws that out the window

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I think it basically came down to the fact they wanted them all in, but they found out they couldn't in the time allotted and so had to make cuts.

Home doesn't even come out until next year and they are still telling us that we won't be able to transfer Pokemon not in the Galar dex. Not only that Masuda said that this was the new direction for the series, meaning they intend to continue doing this shit.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Home doesn't even come out until next year and they are still telling us that we won't be able to transfer Pokemon not in the Galar dex. Not only that Masuda said that this was the new direction for the series, meaning they intend to continue doing this shit.
Home comes out early next year, so Jan/Feb. It's not like it's coming out September next year.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Home comes out early next year, so Jan/Feb. It's not like it's coming out September next year.
By this time the devs are likely done with modeling and animation work and if they wanted to get the rest of the Pokemon in post launch then a February update would be MORE than enough time to get them in. They clearly have zero intention of bringing the rest of the Pokemon back in this game, other wise they wouldn't have so bluntly said that you won't be able to bring other Pokemon in. If they had plans they would have said it instead of letting fans get pissed off.
This wouldn't be an issue if Game Freak didn't keep splitting their teams to work on so many games at once or hired enough people to actually work on multiple titles. Now I guess we know it wasn't a lie when it was said that Pokemon is not their primary focus.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
By this time the devs are likely done with modeling and animation work and if they wanted to get the rest of the Pokemon in post launch then a February update would be MORE than enough time to get them in. They clearly have zero intention of bringing the rest of the Pokemon back in this game, other wise they wouldn't have so bluntly said that you won't be able to bring other Pokemon in. If they had plans they would have said it instead of letting fans get pissed off.
This wouldn't be an issue if Game Freak didn't keep splitting their teams to work on so many games at once or hired enough people to actually work on multiple titles. Now I guess we know it wasn't a lie when it was said that Pokemon is not their primary focus.

Yeah, Home is far enough in the future that they could have saved this news for Home and enjoyed a launch of Sw/Sh without controversy. It's fucked.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking stupid. TPC and dumb decisions are becoming a synonymous duo. Let's go was a mess and now they are trying to shake up shit on a real mainline game that didn't need shaking up.

juanmi

Oct 31, 2017
Could you please focus on the important part of that post? He didn't lie on that, it is coming out next year. What is highly concerning is that they stated this would be the new direction of the series. They already started this path in SM by only adding the regional dex... And now, this. Also, could they please stop creating generational gimmicks to forget them in the next generation? They stated that Dynamax comes to replace Megaevolution and Z-moves (I don't know which level of 'replacement', if they come to substitute them or just as 'generational gimmick' but i am also concerned. I would have liked to see new megas, to be honest. Also i'm starting to be worried about not having regional variants and keeping that just for Alola... Let's see.

BTW, the idea of needing a new extra device in order to transfer Mew IS OUTRAGEOUS, specially taking into consideration that people who wanted mew in Let's go had to pay for it... It is ridiculous.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
D8z7lOPWsAASIlG.jpg

Nobody wanted this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak last listed their employee count as 143 a year ago. This is not enough to do yearly HD Pokemon games as well as the other HD projects they want to do. Pokemon is not some little series, they sell over 10 million units every year, Game Freak can afford to hire more staff. Them not having the time to get all the Pokemon in at launch is the fault of the studio's poor management.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know we aren't allowed to say "lazy devs" but... I mean, why does it always feel like the "biggest media franchise in the world" is just a series of AA at best games.

I really want to love Pokémon and the assorted spin offs and programs but goddamnit game freak.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak last listed their employee count as 143 a year ago. This is not enough to do yearly HD Pokemon games as well as the other HD projects they want to do. Pokemon is not some little series, they sell over 10 million units every year, Game Freak can afford to hire more staff. Them not having the time to get all the Pokemon in at launch is the fault of the studio's poor management.

Are they really doing annual releases going forward? They didn't used to.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, they could have just said that though. "All Pokemon won't be in the game at launch, but we will be working to update the game with all Pokemon after release". That plays so much better than "If it's not in Galar there's no way to bring it into the game".

That fact that they didn't makes me skeptical they'll ever work to fix this. We'll either have to wait for sequels/third version or Gen 9.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So you know how much Game Freak as a company is making from each game, huh?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a patch can one day allow old Pokémon to reach Sword and Shield since you'll need to connect to the internet anyway to receive them. Pray for a patch

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will say
same

fucking delay your games, people. Pokemon of all things will be just fine if it doesn't launch in the same November slot every year.

They'd have to delay the anime as well which probably has already had air slots purchased, all merchandise would have to be backed up too, manga releases.

I'm not defending Game Freak here I just think Pokemon is so much more than a single game, it's a multi-media franchise.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
I know they said Let's Go development didn't effect S/S dev, but man I really wish they diverted efforts into this game. Kinda makes me sad they never went forward with Stars.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I know they said Let's Go development didn't effect S/S dev, but man I really wish they diverted efforts into this game. Kinda makes me sad they never went forward with Stars.

The time and resources for something like Dynamaxing could have been diverted into ensuring all Pokemon were properly animated and in the game code. The fact that they elected for something like Dynamaxing over bringing all Pokemon into the game tells you all you need to know.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's PAINFULLY clear Game Freak was not ready for HD development and they have already bit off more than they can chew by doing back to back Pokemon games and splitting their team even further to work on other stuff. If they have Sinnoh remakes coming out next year those are likely hurting this game even more.
That or they legitimately don't give a fuck and are going to use what Pokemon they decide to put in the data of games going forward as selling points.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is honestly the absolute worst thing they could have announced about these games.

Completely soured me on these, I'm hoping for a patch but let's not kid ourselves they can't even patch in a handful of new mega evolutions and Pokemon within the same generation, they'll just wait for you to buy the next game

Status
Not open for further replies.