• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We really need to start a campaign to change this, if Nintendo listened about MM2 they can change this too

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
As I said in the locked thread, only thing I can think of is that they did it to balance Dynamax.

I'd guess for some their stats could've been too high for how they implemented it.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon as a franchise with individual game-sales comfortably surpassing 10-million seriously deserves more respect. If companies like Ubisoft are willing to gather 20 studios just to push out games like assassins creed out on time, i find it frustrating that Pokemon couldn't just outsource model development to other companies.

Could there be inefficient synergies of such an option? Very possible, but i think Pokemon deserves the budget necessary to figure those things out.
You don't need to innovate when you sell regardless. People would need to stop buying pokemon before anything happens.

Oct 25, 2017
hot take prediction: there will unfortunately be very few Sinnoh Pokemon available because they are being saved for the gen four remakes

sucks for me, because the gen four squad are some of my favorites ;__;

i honestly think the biggest disappointment for me is, that this game is going to be another half assed game similar to the 3ds entries. this kind of confirms it.

considering how well the games do, its so disheartening to see something that i've loved the majority of my life be treated so poorly. i honestly think Go is the only way ill get to enjoy pokemon from here on out.
I've already been burned too many times by the post Gen 5 games. Maybe they'll get their act together with SuperSword or whatever but I'm not spending $60 for this.

chiayiii

Apr 19, 2018
You don't need to innovate when you sell regardless. People would need to stop buying pokemon before anything happens.
While i agree it sells, Marginal Sales are a thing, and if the whole BOTW budget only requires 200 million to break even, I'm sure an additional amount equal to BOTW budget would do wonders in increasing sales beyond the natural point.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've already been burned too many times by the post Gen 5 games. Maybe they'll get their act together with SuperSword or whatever but I'm not spending $60 for this.
Same boat. im tired of giving them the benefit of doubt. for XY: "oh, first 3d games, first time on the 3ds. they'll get better" then RS remake: "oh, its a remake, there's only so much they can do." SM/US/UM: "man. im really sick of getting interupted from the game play every 30 seconds by shit story and the pokedex"

first time i didn't finish the game. im honestly questioning if i should bother with these games.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
At this point, if they truly have no intention of letting you transfer in every Pokemon from here on out, just make an official battle simulator and put it in Home. If you have to catch any particular Pokemon at least once and transfer to register it, fine, but don't set me up to spend hundreds of hours working on competitive Pokemon and hope they happen to get into the next game.

Deleted member 47619

You guys joke, but Masuda has said this...
Sure - and does it suggest you have one eye on another Let's Go style game set in Johto?

Junichi Masuda:
So you know maybe - if everyone enjoys playing these games [laughs] - but you know more than that, I know that a lot of people and fans have spent a lot of time hatching eggs, they've hatched... a lot of eggs, but we want them to kind of discover new ways to enjoy Pokémon games, you know I'd be really sad to think that for them, Pokémon is hatching eggs, so with this one we're trying to show them a different side of the game.
Yikes, especially when you consider that Taijiri said that one of the main appeals of Pokemon is that players have the freedom to play the games however they wanted.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
To be honest I do wonder if Home will have its own Battle Suite.

Would people accept that?

I'm not even expecting Pokémon Home looking particularly awesome.

I see many people having high expectations with it, but I was assuming it would be just an upgraded Pokémon Bank with the pixelated menu sprites. I don't think they will even show the 3D models. That would mean they implemented the 809 models there but couldn't include them in SwSh somehow? It just doesn't make sense to me.

But we'll see...

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You can just tell from Masuda's face, tone etc. that he himself isn't happy with this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they charge for Home separate from Bank and then give a notice that Bank will be shutting down in 2020 so even though SwSh won't have all of the Pokemon we'll be forced to buy into Home unless we want our collections to be lost forever.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Home is where your Pokemon can battle I can still see the main games working off that. Like let's say you can send over your old Pokemon not in SS and in Home they can battle them, but don't have access to new stuff.

Then like for example DP Remakes come out and you can get all the Pokemon not in SS, now with the ability to get them new moves and Abilities.

Maybe a cheap way of getting more bucks but I think it could work.

That's my expectation so far. If not Home I do think we'll get a "global" Gen VII battle simulator.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
While some of the Sword and Shield footage looked cool, this has me really disappointed. I might just keep all of my Pokémon in the current gen games at this rate.

I would hope that this means they kick out the baby Pokémon for this game to maximize the number of good available Pokémon but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the first Pokémon since 5th gen where I don't get this day 0.
If Whimsicott isn't in, I cannot justify a purchase

At least in Y, I could bring it in.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I'm not even expecting Pokémon Home looking particularly awesome.

I see many people having high expectations with it, but I was assuming it would be just an upgraded Pokémon Bank with the pixelated menu sprites. I don't think they will even show the 3D models. That would mean they implemented the 809 models there but couldn't include them in SwSh somehow? It just doesn't make sense to me.

But we'll see...
They mentioned direct trading from Home when they announced it, but actual battles is definitely a longshot

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
You can just tell from Masuda's face, tone etc. that he himself isn't happy with this.
Boohoo, patches exist. It's their own damn fault for not wanting to add content to Pokemon games post launch. Home doesn't even come out until next year, they don't even need all of the Pokemon to be in the game at launch. If they don't have time to get them all in for launch and chose not to add them in patches then they are completely at fault here.
But honestly, there is zero reason why they shouldn't be able to get them all in at launch, the models, animations and everything else are done. Unless their engine is horrible it would be easy outsource work that they could absolutely afford.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have legit hatched shiny pokemon sitting on my moon cartridge...perfect ev/iv Garchomp and Scizor...

Fuck off TPC. Seriously.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
They might also "solve" this by developing a new Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution style game for the Switch... That'll be an easy way for them to sell a $60 game. The more I think about it, the more that seems like their likely course of action.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played a Pokémon game since Gold/Silver, so what does this mean?
It means that people who played other games and want to get their old pokemon to the new game won't be able to do so if the pokemon isn't in the dex of the new region. And the dex of a new region is only a fracture of what the total Pokemon count is. So a lot of people are screwed in that regard.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Is this that much of a problem?

I mean, we all know all our favorites* will be in!

*applies only to generation 1, includes all of generation 1.

Yeah shitty move, but at least I haven't completed a dex since gen 2 nd it might force me to use other mons if I cant use my 6IVs Aegislash and Protean Greninja.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a thought...

Do you think Alolan Pokemon and or possible Galar Pokemon in SS means their regular forms also made the cut?

Like we're not gonna have Cubone and Marowak, but locked out of Alolan Marowak? Or if say there's like Galarian Venomoth, regular Venomoth should make the cut?

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Not gonna lie this isn't as devastating to me as I thought it would be. I think it makes the metagame interesting to have a lot of pokemon not make the cut, we are used to the same pokemon dominating every generation since gen 6, about 6 years now, i'm excited to see what will happen now

I also hope they decide to add more pokemon after release, like a hoenn pack or something (should be free unless it comes with other new content)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me honestly expects dataminers to find the missing Pokemon in the files for compatibility and Game Freak only has them disabled to force us to buy future games. This is how jaded Game Freak is making me.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Boohoo, patches exist. It's their own damn fault for not wanting to add content to Pokemon games post launch. Home doesn't even come out until next year, they don't even need all of the Pokemon to be in the game at launch. If they don't have time to get them all in for launch and chose not to add them in patches then they are completely at fault here.
But honestly, there is zero reason why they shouldn't be able to get them all in at launch, the models, animations and everything else are done. Unless their engine is horrible it would be easy outsource work that they could absolutely afford.
We don't know it won't be updated with patches, to be fair.

And yes there is reason.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they charge for Home separate from Bank and then give a notice that Bank will be shutting down in 2020 so even though SwSh won't have all of the Pokemon we'll be forced to buy into Home unless we want our collections to be lost forever.
I'm completely expecting it. Else, why is it not just Bank on Switch? Why does Home exist, why isn't it just a new version of Bank like everyone was expecting? seems like just an excuse to charge people twice if they want to transfer they're Pokémon from 3DS (needing to pay for Bank & Home). Since like the entire point of Bank in the first place when it was announced was everything they're saying about Home now.

Hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm just really skeptical about all of this and expecting much the same (also despite what they say now, totally expecting the same to eventually happen to Pokémon Home itself and whatever comes after the Switch to have its own new thing as well, just like we're going from Bank to Home now).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Part of me honestly expects dataminers to find the missing Pokemon in the files for compatibility and Game Freak only has them disabled to force us to buy future games. This is how jaded Game Freak is making me.

That was basically Generation 3.

Granted you couldnt transfer over old Pokemon bit everyone was in from the get-go and couldnt be legit got without buying additional games.

I actually enjoyed that Generation a ton partially for that reason.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Less than a week after revealing a perfect system of storing and transferring pokemon they pull this.

To everyone defending this, no one is saying its easy to upscale textures. The simple fact is they already modeled and animated every pokemon/form years ago in preparation of long term use. There really is no excuse for this.

EDIT: and you know all original 151 will make the cut.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know it won't be updated with patches, to be fair.

And yes there is reason.
If they were planning on adding them in patches they would have said that to stop the backlash they had to have known would be coming.

And no, don't even try to defend this. There is zero excuse, the majority of the work is done and if they don't personally have the time they can afford to outsource it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I also don't think they'd delay Sword and Shield because Pokemon is a heavily merchandised series and they likely have lots of merchandise planned for November.

For one they've got the Sword and Shield anime coming and they're not gonna delay the games after setting a date and likely beginning to work on the show.

Any fix to the issue is going to be post-launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.