• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming Gen 1 fans here even if they did defend that BS

I'm saying Gamefreak probably thought the acceptance vs pushback would be similar.

Boy were they wrong.
Yeah... I was one of the ones who defended those games because I had no reason to believe that the trend would continue in gen 8 and beyond. Very different scenario than what's happened here. But as you said, Game Freak read the room entirely incorrectly on it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I was one of the ones who defended those games because I had no reason to believe that the trend would continue in gen 8 and beyond. Very different scenario than what's happened here. But as you said, Game Freak read the room entirely incorrectly on it.

Unless they come out and say this decision was driven by the fact they were splitting resources I don't by it

And if you read their language in the interviews there is no reason to believe they would have altered their path if LGEP didnt exist

The Pokémon Conference was May 28th

The E3 demo was June 11th

Who is developing Pokemon Home and did they know about the design decision made by game freak beforehand?

You would assume they did but you never know with the musing about how broken and incompetent the machine is right now

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Dudes. As much as I thought LGPE was as boring as watching my nails grow, it didn't have an effect on this. It's not how software planning goes. This decision was probably taken a long time ago.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Again, no one was saying it was anyone's fault. The discussion was about whether or not Nintendo was intentionally trying to deceive people for 6 days.

Which obviously isn't the case.
Not saying you won't be able to transfer over EVERY Pokemon in the press conference, Pokemon Direct, or E3 Direct and instead waiting until the Treehouse stream, after most people stopped watching, is being intentionally misleading about it. I was WATCHING the Treehouse stream and got up to do something else and MISSED them saying this, that's how glossed over it was. They didn't want this to be big news.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stop with the whole mob mentality stuff. Claiming someone is trolling because they don't buy into some silly conspiracy is a joke.

So then where is the fine print? You can't rely on implications to back up your assertions on this. Whether or not it says all pokemon will go into Sowrd and Shield, it also doesnt state that not all of them will make it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
In the Famitsu interview wasn't it said that this decision was made when S/M were in development?

Angry people want something to target their anger on

Lets Go is an easy target

Which is a shame really. It brought some cool stuff to the table, was a success, and made them money

You would think that the flow of cash would be properly invested in growth and talent on the home front at Game Freak but clearly they dont really go farther than they feel the need to

THATS where your blame should lie.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Because fans defended this with Let's Go.
No, I understood why they did it with Let's Go and didn't mind since that wasn't a proper mainline game. That GameFreak let their incompetence affect such a core part of the mainline games is all on them for being so terrible and wanting to develop so many games without the necessary manpower to ensure quality. It's very stupid to say fans defended Let's Go and expected stuff like the reduced roster to creep over to the mainline titles, stop that narrative. We're all in this shit together.

Edit: Also, they already mentioned they thought of doing this for S&M, plus there's no fucking way they decided to do this because of Let's Go's reception (a game that came out merely half a year ago), that's not how project management works. You really think they just decided to do this half a year ago? Come the fuck on.

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
If this wasn't Pokemon I'd be shocked that there wasn't some sort of statement to try and placate the fans. Twitter going on as if nothing's wrong just makes this both hilarious and sad.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If this wasn't Pokemon I'd be shocked that there wasn't some sort of statement to try and placate the fans. Twitter going on as if nothing's wrong just makes this both hilarious and sad.

Its not on them

We need the bosses to step in for this one

Its grown beyond the purview of low level employees come on

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
No, I understood why they did it with Let's Go and didn't mind since that wasn't a proper mainline game. That GameFreak let their incompetence affect such a core part of the mainline games is all on them for being so terrible and wanting to develop so many games without the necessary manpower to ensure quality. It's very stupid to say fans defended Let's Go and expected stuff like the reduced roster to creep over to the mainline titles, stop that narrative. We're all in this shit together.

Again I'm not blaming fans at all. You had every right to interpret let's go was just a one off nostalgia trip.

I'm saying Gamefreak probably thought that would be the same reaction for this where there was all kinds of support for the decision. And they acted confident on that.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Which is a shame really. It brought some cool stuff to the table, was a success, and made them money

You would think that the flow of cash would be properly invested in growth and talent on the home front at Game Freak but clearly they dont really go farther than they feel the need to

I do believe that the Pokemon Company needs to give Game Freak a bigger cut of the profits, invest more on them too. While Nintendo should consider allocating some technical assistance from their own teams to help out. Those two really need to start pushing their weight around in general.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that this information was slipped into a Treehouse Live stream during E3 and then later mentioned in developer interviews released during the busiest gaming news week of the year as opposed to any of the three separate Pokemon announcements over the past weeks - the conference on the 28th that announced the Home service, the Sword and Shield Direct on the 5th, or Nintendo's E3 presentation with Sword and Shield on the 11th - absolutely suggests that they didn't want to give this any more airtime or advance notice than they felt they had to. if people weren't making a stink about it, spreading hashtags and memes everywhere and trying to get the attention of gaming journalists, very few people who were planning to buy the games would be aware of this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I do believe that the Pokemon Company needs to give Game Freak a bigger cut of the profits, invest more on them too. While Nintendo should consider allocating some technical assistance from their own teams to help out.

Would be amazing

You would still need to convince design leads that supporting 1000+ pokemon indefinitely is something worth doing

I mean... you guys realize this bar raises higher every time. This current outrage may sway them for awhile assuming the budge but be prepared to have this concept challenged again and again as the years tick on

Oct 26, 2017
This is such a gongshow lmao.

By that logic, do you think fans misplaced their anger at XY/Gen VI for the philosophical differences in development from Gen V and previous games, to Gen VI-onwards?

People here too easily forget that Game Freak is a creature of habit and they continue things based on what's happened. If this was bashed with Let's Go, you can bet that arbitrary dex cutting would not have been evident in Sword and Shield. But because Let's Go was a Gen I remake and people have nostalgia boners for Gen I, they were placated and ignored the arbitrary dex cutting, which has now carried over.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Again I'm not blaming fans at all. You had every right to interpret let's go was just a one off nostalgia trip.

I'm saying Gamefreak probably thought that would be the same reaction for this where there was all kinds of support for the decision. And they acted confident on that.
Read my edit, there's simply no way this decision was made because of Let's Go's reception and sales.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Recency bias. Doesnt help that it has elements that reminds them of the current situation. Although I disagree that it brought cool things to the table.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a gongshow lmao.

By that logic, do you think fans misplaced their anger at XY/Gen VI for the philosophical differences in development from Gen V and previous games, to Gen VI-onwards?

Not sure

Like I said above fans may have to continuously voice their concerns as they clash with creative interests that come and go. Whether they give them the resources they need or not to meet fan demand

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who is developing Pokemon Home and did they know about the design decision made by game freak beforehand?

You would assume they did but you never know with the musing about how broken and incompetent the machine is right now
I don't know. I would think it would be internal Game Freak but this is a mobile app so maybe it's not them. You could be right.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
The app that it's replacing could only be used on a console they are no longer making games for.
So? The Switch didn't exist back then.
Pokemon Bank main function was to "transfer ALL your Pokemon from the old games to the new ones".
Pokemon Home main function is "transfer SOME of your Pokemon from the old games to the new ones".
ALL > SOME

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure

Like I said above fans may have to continuously voice their concerns as they clash with creative interests that come and go. Whether they give them the resources they need or not to meet fan demand

But why do they have to continuously voice their concern? Shouldn't the onus be on Game Freak to be aware of their user base? It's why we see so many things like fans asking for difficulty options (something that we've only seen poorly implemented in B2W2), and yet Game Freak actively shies away from any semblance of difficulty for rather strange reasons that aren't rooted in logic. There's also the question of resource management, which seems to be a consistent issue ever since they struggled with the 3DS and has now carried over to the Nintendo Switch.

I'll give you a separate example. Why do Game Freak insist that only children play their game(s), when it's clear as day that Pokemon has appealed to all ages from children to young adults, to parents/adults. Yet, GF acts like they should only develop their games around children. If there were truly the case, then it doesn't make sense to do remakes because you'd be actively involving people who grew up with the original games.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
But why do they have to continuously voice their concern? Shouldn't the onus be on Game Freak to be aware of their user base? It's why we see so many things like fans asking for difficulty options (something that we've only seen poorly implemented in B2W2), and yet Game Freak actively shies away from any semblance of difficulty for rather strange reasons that aren't rooted in logic. There's also the question of resource management, which seems to be a consistent issue ever since they struggled with the 3DS and has now carried over to the Nintendo Switch.

I'll give you a separate example. Why do Game Freak insist that only children play their game(s), when it's clear as day that Pokemon has appealed to all ages from children to young adults, to parents/adults. Yet, GF acts like they should only develop their games around children. If there were truly the case, then it doesn't make sense to do remakes because you'd be actively involving people who grew up with the original games.

I wish I knew

Maybe the business end of the machine sets the goals and the designers have to work within the constraints they are given.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

Also, you can easily tell they didn't expect the same reaction and acceptance as Let's Go. It's not very hard to come to that conclusion.
Whereas they were very upfront about that with Let's Go, they tried to be very sneaky with it for SwSh:
  • Reveal trailer: No mention of it
  • Pokémon Business presentation: No mention of it and focus on Pokémon Home (kinda ironic now)
  • Pokémon Direct: Again, no mention of it at all. The biggest focus the game would get for a while and they didn't mention such a big piece of news
  • E3 Direct: Nothing. Again.
  • They waited till they had a smaller audience to sneakily drop this piece of big news, they were clearly scared of its impact and for good reason.
So no, don't tell me they looked at Let's Go and thought they could easily do the same for SwSh.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also, you can easily tell they didn't expect the same reaction and acceptance as Let's Go. It's not very hard to come to that conclusion.
Whereas they were very upfront about that with Let's Go, they tried to be very sneaky with it for SwSh:
  • Pokémon Business presentation: No mention of it and focus on Pokémon Home (kinds ironic now)
  • Pokémon Direct: Again, no mention of it at all. The biggest focus the game would get for a while and they didn't mention such a big piece of news
  • They waited till they had a smaller audience to sneakily drop this piece of big news, they were clearly scared of its impact and for good reason.
So no, don't tell me they looked at Let's Go and thought they could easily do the same for SwSh.

Fair points. They did definitely try to sweep this under the rug.

I concede.

It's subtle, but I'm seeing the troll job here.

That's a bold strategy Cotton.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
  • Pokémon Business presentation: No mention of it and focus on Pokémon Home (kinds ironic now)

Yeah the lets go trojan horse theory is bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I knew

Maybe the business end of the machine sets the goals and the designers have to work within the constraints they are given.

Given what Masuda has said about the design choices back in 2014, and the little tidbits we have of development back with the older games (particularly the Iwata Asks of HGSS and Gen V), it sounds like GF has the freedom to make whatever decision they want.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017

Even then, they have this strange idea that the children playing their games today both lack patience and dislike complicated game mechanics, which couldn't be further from the truth given the games that are popular with kids today. And if they lack patience, Sun and Moon's cutscene extravaganza makes no sense.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fair points. They did definitely try to sweep this under the rug.

I concede.
Glad you see it that way as well. As I said earlier, we're all in this together and GameFreak needs to know this shit ain't gonna fly in the mainline games, not when they were futureproofing models (supposedly) and not when they keep lying about their reasons to cut the roster down.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does anyone know what the last Pokemon game was that was made by all of GameFreak instead of just Team A or Team B? Did they switch to such a system in order to pump out games faster, but at lower quality? Or was it always like this?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Given what Masuda has said about the design choices back in 2014, and the little tidbits we have of development back with the older games (particularly the Iwata Asks of HGSS and Gen V), it sounds like GF has the freedom to make whatever decision they want.

in that case you may find the answer to your question even more concerning especially given the language used in recent interviews

Maybe they... dont want to make the games they way the fans want anymore

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that this information was slipped into a Treehouse Live stream during E3 and then later mentioned in developer interviews released during the busiest gaming news week of the year as opposed to any of the three separate Pokemon announcements over the past weeks - the conference on the 28th that announced the Home service, the Sword and Shield Direct on the 5th, or Nintendo's E3 presentation with Sword and Shield on the 11th - absolutely suggests that they didn't want to give this any more airtime or advance notice than they felt they had to. if people weren't making a stink about it, spreading hashtags and memes everywhere and trying to get the attention of gaming journalists, very few people who were planning to buy the games would be aware of this.

Of course. And it wasn't even at the beginning of their Treehouse segment or during gameplay - it was slipped in at the very end after gameplay had already ended, and then they cut to the next game. They've had plenty of Directs to mention it, but obviously tried to sneak the information out there so there would be as little reaction as possible.

It's really just infuriating. They know the fans will hate it. They knew there would be backlash. They know, deep down, its' the wrong decision. Yet they did it anyway, and tried to slip it by most fans. It's really despicable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what the last Pokemon game was that was made by all of GameFreak instead of just Team A or Team B? Did they switch to such a system in order to pump out games faster, but at lower quality? Or was it always like this?

I feel like they probably worked on Yellow and Gold/Silver at the same time. They've always had a dual track.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
The language on recent tweets have a slight tone of making fun of the entire thing. "Let's not play favorites!" "Here's some familiar faces!"

Either that or we're all paranoid as fuck.

If it's the former. I wish that twitter person best of luck.

Ah, seems like a bit of a stretch to me personally but I'm not exactly going to go to bat for Gamefreak's marketing on this one lol

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is incompetence necessarily (though admittedly getting out a game nearly every year doesn't help in this regard). I don't think it's a lack of resources, because I can't imagine a scenario where TPC and especially Nintendo doesn't throw all the resources in the world at Gamefreak if they request the extra hands. This and most other cutbacks from the past games feel like an active design choice that they plotted out from the conceptual phase. And they just haven't realized that if players lose something, they're going to want something equivalent to make up for what's loss. They struggled for replacements in previous gens, and they certainly haven't shown enough now, thus the disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.