• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't get on board with the idea of that being deliberate and then having Masuda a couple of weeks later go out of his way to tell people. It isn't a deliberate lie, stop fucking continuing this dumb sidebar when there's actually a really bad deliberate decision to discuss.
They would have eventually had to tell people after pitching peole bullshit two weeks ago. Stop defending them. They don't deserve it.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. Because there will still be hundreds of pokemon that can go into Sword and Shield. And likely other games that will be coming out supporting more.
if I'm intentionally not putting Pokemon into the service that's supposed to be where they want me to keep all my Pokemon because they'll be trapped there until a game possibly comes out that supports them, what does that say about the service they're providing

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah...you ASSUMED something would be done. In the same way that you ASSUMED orange and yellow arrows means "everything".

It sucks. This sucks. But we can still be rational adults about the situation.

Masuda said it to our faces 8 months ago! He said he would implement a system to transfer all our data. He lied.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah...you ASSUMED something would be done. In the same way that you ASSUMED orange and yellow arrows means "everything".

It sucks. This sucks. But we can still be rational adults about the situation.
A rational adult wouldn't assume the arrows mean "only some things are transferable back and forth". Like look at what you're arguing.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Just be rational and assume the exact opposite of what everyone understood that image to mean.

Maybe it wasn't a "deliberate lie" or whatever, but it was a fucking terrible image to use to describe this service, it should have said "not all pokemon can be transferred to SwSh on it".

I also think this could be a Japanese thing because phone games are so prevalent there, where they think a lot of people actually want to have their pokemon stuck on their phone rather than in an actual game.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
if I'm intentionally not putting Pokemon into the service that's supposed to be where they want me to keep all my Pokemon because they'll be trapped there until a game possibly comes out that supports them, what does that say about the service they're providing

There are programming things that are done to the pokemon when you transfer them that allows them to then be transferred into other stuff. There had to be some new app to facilitate any sort of transferring.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Just to reiterate for those joining the conversation: the big concern at the moment is that, after a year or two, Pokemon Bank will likely be sunsetted in favor of Pokemon Home. With Bank, you can move your Pokemon into Ultra Sun/Moon (which support every single Pokemon) if you aren't able to pay. If you leave them in an expired Bank account, they are deleted forever after a grace period. This is likely to be the case with Home. So... if you are forced to move your Pokemon into Home because the only alternative is locking them to the 3DS for an eternity, but then cannot place them safely in your Sword/Shield file... they are effectively holding your Pokemon hostage. And, even if people skip Sword and Shield over this controversy, Game Freak and the Pokemon Company are CERTAIN that people will pay this price because the core of the franchise is and always had been building strong emotional bonds with your Pokemon.

There are a few ways this can be made okay:
1. Pokemon Home is free. Yay! This is no longer a hostage situation and is just an excellent service, though the lack of in-game utility may still be disappointing.
2. Pokemon Home is available at a one time fee. This isn't spectacular, but at least we will never run the risk of permanently losing Pokemon we've had for 15 years just because Nintendo didn't send a reminder to renew the subscription.
3. Pokemon Home will never permanently delete Pokemon, opting instead to bar access to them until the subscription is renewed. This is also pretty scummy, but nowhere near as bad as the current outlook.
4. Maintain Pokemon Bank. With the introduction of Home, Bank is becoming a redundant service. If they opt to maintain it despite the functional overlaps, however, players could still be comfortable keeping their Pokemon on 3DS. This would be best paired with the ability to send Pokemon back to Bank from Home.
5. Pokemon Home is far more robust than anyone anticipated. If the application includes opportunities for battling, trading, breeding, etc. then this would be much easier for people to swallow. This is highly unlikely because these interactions are core to the RPG titles, which may divert sales from those games.
6. Pokemon Sword and Shield are supported with patches which allow all Pokemon to be imported into Galar, even if functionality is limited. This is the IDEAL scenario for most players, hence why they are arguing most ardently in favor of it.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Is this something they really wanted? I mean really? Most of the news surrounding the game now is this. There were two new Pokemon reveled on the show floor and I'm not even aware of any reactions towards them. Granted Yamper was already kind of leaked but we got to see what it looks like, and we also got an imp Pokemon Impidimp, a first and a more western lored creature which I'm more interested in seeing inspire new designs. will definitely be using it. I didn't even know about them until later on because mostly everyone was building up rage from the Pokemon Home News. This is hugely negative PR and its completely consuming the media coverage about the game, how did no one out of the three holders of the brand see this coming a mile away?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Is this something they really wanted? I mean really? Most of the news surrounding the game now is this. There were two new Pokemon reveled on the show floor and I'm not even aware of any reactions towards them. Granted Yamper was already kind of leaked but we got to see what it looks like, and we also got an imp Pokemon Impidimp, a first and a more western lored creature which I'm more interested in seeing inspire new designs. will definitely be using it. I didn't even know about them until later on because mostly everyone was building up rage from the Pokemon Home News. This is hugely negative PR and its completely consuming the media coverage about the game, how did no one out of the three holders of the company see this coming a mile away?

Because fans defended this with Let's Go.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I was told I didn't have to buy let's go either.

So is that it now? I'm just done with Pokemon games because they not "for me" anymore because the main appeal of thee franchise doesn't exist.

Fucking wonderful.

If you don't like the games anymore then I mean yeah? Not entirely sure what you're point is. I was never defending the transferring thing. We were discussing whether or not Nintendo was intentionally trying to deceive people for their preorders.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are programming things that are done to the pokemon when you transfer them that allows them to then be transferred into other stuff. There had to be some new app to facilitate any sort of transferring.
yes, I'm aware of that. the issue isn't that the service doesn't do a good job of transferring Pokemon - it's that the games I would want to transfer my Pokemon to won't be able to take them, and if I make a mistake when cross-checking the compatibility spreadsheet when I'm moving a Pokemon I lose access to it for potentially years. this wasn't an issue with Bank, because Gen VI and Gen VII were 99.9% backwards-compatible and I could safely drop all my Pokemon into a new game without having to worry about them being stuck there

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just to reiterate for those joining the conversation: the big concern at the moment is that, after a year or two, Pokemon Bank will likely be sunsetted in favor of Pokemon Home. With Bank, you can move your Pokemon into Ultra Sun/Moon (which support every single Pokemon) if you aren't able to pay. If you leave them in an expired Bank account, they are deleted forever after a grace period. This is likely to be the case with Home. So... if you are forced to move your Pokemon into Home because the only alternative is locking them to the 3DS for an eternity, but then cannot place them safely in your Sword/Shield file... they are effectively holding your Pokemon hostage. And, even if people skip Sword and Shield over this controversy, Game Freak and the Pokemon Company are CERTAIN that people will pay this price because the core of the franchise is and always had been building strong emotional bonds with your Pokemon.
Exactly. There's no such thing as 'just leave them in the 3DS'. Bank will die sooner or later.
Also, someone should put a threadmark on this.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
yes, I'm aware of that. the issue isn't that the service doesn't do a good job of transferring Pokemon - it's that the games I would want to transfer my Pokemon to won't be able to take them, and if I make a mistake when cross-checking the compatibility spreadsheet when I'm moving a Pokemon I lose access to it for potentially years. this wasn't an issue with Bank, because Gen VI and Gen VII were 99.9% backwards-compatible and I could safely drop all my Pokemon into a new game without having to worry about them being stuck there

Well that means the app isn't as good as you wanted it to be. It doesn't mean it's useless.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is defending it. I haven't seen anyone, at least.

Expressing an understanding for why the decision may have been made is different than saying it was a good decision.
I'm specifically talking about the one poster who posted a twitter thread of a bunch of people defending, I wasn't talking about anyone here at the moment.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I can only guess that Home is supposed to be some kind of compromise? Like if your favorite mon didn't get into Sword/Shield you can still "play" with them in Home or something? The name "Home" sort of implies at least some kind of Tamogatchi/Nintendogs/pet simulator kind of thing to me but maybe I'm extrapolating hard. And it's still technically serving its purpose because you can still transfer your Charizard from Pokemon GO and you can transfer your Bewear from Pokemon Moon as they are both in the Galar Pokedex.

But it just doesn't really seem worth it to me. Because if you theoretically have access to all of the Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex in Pokemon Sword and Shield itself what's the point of a Middleman? Is your Charizard from Pokemon GO really worth a subscription service? Will some Pokemon like Charizard be unobtainable in the main game of Sword and Shield in order to push that subscription service?

Nov 1, 2017
If that Home image isn't misleading, why did literally everyone assume that all of your Pokemon in Home could be transferred to Gen 8 prior to this bombshell announcement? They had two big chances to clarify prior to this, but (for some reason) chose a livestream where fewer people were watching. I wonder why.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Because fans defended this with Let's Go.

I dont understand the connection

Lets GO was clearly telegraphed to be what it was. A remake and small scale on ramp for now players as well as a place to test their new ideas

Hell Gen 8 was announced in the same breath

What is the point of scapegoating outside of needing something to blame for this outcome

The blame can easily be placed on more sensible factors that have been echoed in this thread since it started

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna repeat this again. This:

pokemon-home-transfers.jpg

Is not that different to this:

2431009-3485812294-origi.jpg

People's assumptions to Pokemon Home is based after their previous services, one that we were told in the past that it would also be the place where our Pokemon will be able to be carried into future gens. Bank allowed us to use 99% of our legacy Pokemon (things like spikey pichu were excluded) into the new gen. How is it our fault for assuming that this would be the same case for Sword and Shield when Game Freak themselves announced Home as the same core ideas as Bank but with more features?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Lets GO was clearly telegraphed to be what it was. A remake and small scale on ramp for now players as well as a place to test their new ideas

What is the point of scapegoating outside of needing something to blame for this outcome

The blame can easily be placed on more sensible factors that have been echoed in this thread since it started

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming Gen 1 fans here even if they did defend that BS

I'm saying Gamefreak probably thought the acceptance vs pushback would be similar.

Boy were they wrong.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm gonna repeat this again. This:

How is it our fault for assuming that this would be the same case for Sword and Shield when Game Freak themselves announced Home as the same core ideas as Bank but with more features?

Again, no one was saying it was anyone's fault. The discussion was about whether or not Nintendo was intentionally trying to deceive people for 6 days.

Which obviously isn't the case.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

They came out after LGPE and specifically said the next game would be for "core fans" and would be a traditional title.

They wasted time and manpower on LGPE instead of using it for Sword and Shield so this exact situation didn't happen.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, no one was saying it was anyone's fault. The discussion was about whether or not Nintendo was intentionally trying to deceive people for 6 days.

Which obviously isn't the case.
I think it absolutely is, They thought it would be okay with handling it that way. They were intentionally misleading people with the home app announcement.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming Gen 1 fans here even if they did defended that BS

I'm saying Gamefreak probably thought the acceptance vs pushback would be similar.

Boy were they wrong.

Thats speculation at best

I personally like the game and some of the ideas presented that found their way into Gen 8

The issue people are having has nothing to do with Lets Go and everything to do with... whatever it is that led them to make this call. Likely lack of resources mind bogglingly

And until we understand the business practices and allocation of resources/design goals and who sets these decisions in stone thats the key.

Lets Go was harmless like many of their other side projects but people assume its somehow directly related or the cause of S&S's issues which I dont see evidence for

They came out after LGPE and specifically said the next game would be for "core fans" and would be a traditional title.

They wasted time and manpower on LGPE instead of using it for Sword and Shield so this exact situation didn't happen.

You have receipts?

Status
Not open for further replies.