• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I've started replaying Platinum since last night, ironically far more excited to replay through this. Lol

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope in the anime, at the end of the League battle Ash narrowly loses once again, but it's all good because at least he did it with his buddies. And while he gives Lycanroc a hug for doing a good job it turns into dust, leaving no trace it ever existed. The plot of the next season is tracking down the source of this worldwide calamity, traced back to the Galar Region.
For once, Ash decides to take all of his Pokemon with him when he travels to a new region. They are all promptly confiscated by the Galar authorities at the border, except for Pikachu, just because.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
I hope in the anime, at the end of the League battle Ash narrowly loses once again, but it's all good because at least he did it with his buddies. And while he gives Lycanroc a hug for doing a good job it turns into dust, leaving no trace it ever existed. The plot of the next season is tracking down the source of this worldwide calamity, traced back to the Galar Region.

Perfectly balanced.

As all things should be.

- Game Freak

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The amount of "lazy dev"-level discourse in this thread is staggering. Like, saying that TCPI's vision shows they're more motivated than GF? Downplaying the effects of crunch and having to make a release date? Game Freak is still a relatively small company, so going "why don't they just add more people" is incredibly disingenuous - stuff like the release date, budget for the game, and everything else? Is far more likely to have been set by Nintendo and TCPi than it was by someone like Game Freak or Masuda. They may not be forcing GF to crunch, given what we know about the release of Animal Crossing, but they definitely have more to do with the game's release and how much money/time the developers have to work with.

Pokemon is the cornerstone of Nintendo's holiday line up. It has the anime coming out at the same time, along with the TCG and multiple other tie-ins. But sure, it's GAME FREAK who's clearly the evil mastermind here.

But Junichi Masuda is far more well known than any of the people making those decisions, so let's make him the face of this controversy, I guess.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe that after that presentation they had for Pokemon Home like two damn weeks ago as the new way forward they neglected to tell us that it's basically a program that holds your Pokemon hostage if they aren't in Sword and Shield--because they can't go anywhere else. Just absolutely utterly fascinating in how poorly handled this was.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
omg, I didn't realize the pop in was that bad.

Steelix just... appears. And it's really noticeable.

I would imagine the game is still in the optimization/bug fixing phase. It doesn't come out until later this year.

I still can't believe that after that presentation they had for Pokemon Home like two damn weeks ago as the new way forward they neglected to tell us that it's basically a program that holds your Pokemon hostage if they aren't in Sword and Shield--because they can't go anywhere else. Just absolutely utterly fascinating in how poorly handled this was.

Except with home you don't need a 3DS like with bank and you can trade and look at pokemon without a console period.

And why do so many people keep acting like Sword and Shield is the last pokemon game being made?

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The amount of "lazy dev"-level discourse in this thread is staggering. Like, saying that TCPI's vision shows they're more motivated than GF? Downplaying the effects of crunch and having to make a release date? Game Freak is still a relatively small company, so going "why don't they just add more people" is incredibly disingenuous - stuff like the release date, budget for the game, and everything else? Is far more likely to have been set by Nintendo and TCPi than it was by someone like Game Freak or Masuda. They may not be forcing GF to crunch, given what we know about the release of Animal Crossing, but they definitely have more to do with the game's release and how much money/time the developers have to work with.

But Junichi Masuda is far more well known than any of the people making those decisions, so let's make him the face of this controversy, I guess.

They've sort of brought this upon themselves.

They cite animations, but they've shown the exact same types of animations that they've had from Gen 6 to Gen 8. Nothing that they've shown so far makes Pokémon excluded from the Galar Dex incompatible.

I don't even care about the competitive side and play the games just for the adventure. So, I'm really not bothered by this announcement, but Game Freak's been cutting back on the games for years now. They haven't shown anything to make up for this disappointing announcement and make fans accept some sort of compromise, such as a jump in the quality of animations for Pokémon in the Galar Dex.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
How's PKHeX? At the very least I should make a Gen 7 backup of all of my Pokemon before I send them to their doom.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Pokemon is the cornerstone of Nintendo's holiday line up. It has the anime coming out at the same time, along with the TCG and multiple other tie-ins. But sure, it's GAME FREAK who's clearly the evil mastermind here.

Oh. So your take is 'leave them alone' and that's it? I'm not saying there should be crunch or anything like that. But this is their fault, they should've prepared better for the 3D jump, cutting content here and there and now we're finally here, cutting Pokémon.
I'm not defending damaging/harmful takes on this thread, but the fandom should be allowed to voice their concerns.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
At this point I really just wish we could just move onto 5 year generations and they could dedicate more time and resources to single projects. It feels unlikely with how much money games like the Ultra games and Let's Go have made, but their release schedule has been insane for this series and I think it's doing more harm than good to the franchise's quality.

November 2016: Sun & Moon
November 2017: Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon
November 2018: Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee
November 2019: Sword and Shield

Then they had Giga Wrecker in 2017 and we know they've been working on Town for Switch. It just seems like way too much for a studio of not even 150 employees. Lengthen the dev cycles. Hire more people. I'd kill for fewer Pokemon games of a higher quality than we've gotten lately.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
My two cents: it would've felt better if they game any indication that the game would be updated later on with access to the remaining pokemon. As it is, what bothers me is how they push the decision as "We're doing this for the players" when it is definitely a "We need to have this done by the holiday, and modeling/animating 800+ creatures is a lot of work", and it would be ok if, you know, they just let people knew that, and that they would work on bringing more pokemon for future updates of the game.

I'm saying this as someone who is not bothered at all by the whole thing, because I always enjoy using only new pokemon with each new game. But I understand how bullshit this must be for people who can't use their favorites.

But the shit thing is: Gamefreak can get away with that. It doesn't matter how half-assed Pokemon games are, they always sell a lot. This allows Gamefreak to keep doing the bare minimum, cutting features, weak plot, limited pokedex, without really having the market respond negatively to that.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Oh. So your take is 'leave them alone' and that's it? I'm not saying there should be crunch or anything like that. But this is their fault, they should've prepared better for the 3D jump, cutting content here and there and now we're finally here, cutting Pokémon.
I'm not defending damaging/harmful takes on this thread, but the fandom should be allowed to voice their concerns.

You can hate the decision without proclaiming they are doing it out of laziness. Backseat developing is awful.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I was right about the fundamental shift in Pokémon games away from the Pokémon, due to Pokémon Masters after all.

It hurts to be right.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It functions I suppose? Quite well too.
You can just back up the save itself as well. Getting your save out will probably be the biggest challenge if you're not equipped to do so yet.

Backing up the save sounds good enough for me. I mainly want to hold onto my competitive Pokemon and my shinies, which should only be a few boxes.

Switch is already hacked, so maybe we'll get some kind of save editor to get around using Pokemon Home. I'd love to have my Pokemon in Dropbox or something, and accessible from any generation.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They've sort of brought this upon themselves.

They cite animations, but they've shown the exact same types of animations that they've had from Gen 6 to Gen 8. Nothing that they've shown so far makes Pokémon excluded from the Galar Dex incompatible.

I don't even care about the competitive side and play the games just for the adventure. So, I'm really not bothered by this announcement, but Game Freak's been cutting back on the games for years now. They haven't shown anything to make up for this disappointing announcement and make fans accept some sort of compromise, such as a jump in the quality of animations for Pokémon in the Galar Dex.

The animations things isn't even technically untrue because someone posted a few gifs that show some battle animations being the same; we don't know what kinds of animations he's talking about, or what things will look like by the end of development, so on and so forth. People have chosen to read what they want into it and decide it means this, and it focuses on this, when his quote is very broad and could refer to a ton of things. And no offense, but they don't have to make it up to you, because it's impossible to craft a statement that satisfies every condition or possible reading that everyone might have.

But even if he were being dishonest, that's still no excuse for ignoring the realities of development or who is actually in charge of the things that would need to happen for this game to have more time or people working on it.

Fandom can voice their concerns all they want. But don't lay it at the feet of people who can't affect the things that are happening, or pump up the people who are absolutely responsible. And, you know, be reasonable about it, don't boil opposing views down to "apologists" or a skewed bingo card (you've seen people reacting terribly on both sides), and also, don't focus all vitriol on someone just because they happen to be the messenger/most visible person involved.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna post this picture from the Pokemon Home presentation again.
4MFFnbD.jpg

Just to drive home how incredibly scummy and misleading it is. The arrows to and from Sword and Shield are identical to the arrows pointing towards Home from the other ecosystems. Every Pokemon from the 3DS, Bank, Go, and Let's Go can be transferred to Home, the clear implication from this image is obviously that the arrows indicate a transfer that is totally universal.

They knew at the point they created this image that the transfer to Sword and Shield was *not* universal. They knew this, and could have plainly said so. But they chose not to. This presentation in part worked as marketing for Sword and Shield, and preorders were absolutely sold on this lie of omission.

Just complete ass cheeks.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, this took some time.

Here is a chart of all the pokemon from older generations. From Bulbasaur all the way to Melmetal. It also featured Mega's and Alolan's and some of the alternate form mons as well.

Original Source: https://www.deviantart.com/macuarrorro/art/National-Pokedex-592884072

This chart shows all the pokemon currently confirmed for Sword and Shield. If a pokemon is coloured in, it has been confirmed. If it is greyed out, it has not been confirmed. If it's got a Red Cross over it, that mean it has been De-confirmed (These are the Mega's and Ultra Necrozma)

SoIri8h.jpg

I guess I can update this on a monthly basis to see who is in and who is not as a helpful infograph for all.

Edit: Gave a coloured border around Galar Pokedex pokemon to make them more obvious. And... had to add a cross to Mega Sharpedo because I missed it.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Here is a chart of all the pokemon from older generations. From Bulbasaur all the way to Melmetal. It also featured Mega's and Alolan's and some of the alternate form mons as well.

Original Source: https://www.deviantart.com/macuarrorro/art/National-Pokedex-592884072

This chart shows all the pokemon currently confirmed for Sword and Shield. If a pokemon is coloured in, it has been confirmed. If it is greyed out, it has not been confirmed. If it's got a Red Cross over it, that mean it has been De-confirmed (These are the Mega's and Ultra Necrozma)

KgKZWl6.jpg

I guess I can update this on a monthly basis to see who is in and who is not as a helpful infograph for all.

Thank you for this. It's also incredibly depressing, like Avenge the Fallen on a massive scale.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Gonna post this picture from the Pokemon Home presentation again.
4MFFnbD.jpg

Just to drive home how incredibly scummy and misleading it is. The arrows to and from Sword and Shield are identical to the arrows pointing towards Home from the other ecosystems. Every Pokemon from the 3DS, Bank, Go, and Let's Go can be transferred to Home, the clear implication from this image is obviously that the arrows indicate a transfer that is totally universal.

They knew at the point they created this image that the transfer to Sword and Shield was *not* universal. They knew this, and could have plainly said so. But they chose not to. This presentation in part worked as marketing for Sword and Shield, and preorders were absolutely sold on this lie of omission.

Just complete ass cheeks.

Why would it indicate that it's totally universal? It's just a diagram to get the point across that Go/Bank/Let's Go pokemon cannot be transferred back. Orange and yellow arrows don't say "Everything in home can be transferred to Sword and Shield". This has been a thing with event pokemon in the past as well.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

KgKZWl6.jpg

Never thought I'd see the day were we talk about "taking up slots" in a Pokemon Game

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Why would it indicate that it's totally universal? It's just a diagram to get the point across that Go/Bank/Let's Go pokemon cannot be transferred back. Orange and yellow arrows don't say "Everything in home can be transferred to Sword and Shield". This has been a thing with event pokemon in the past as well.

Wow.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More people are going to speculate which Pokemon are going to be taken away far more than they will be wondering what kind of new Pokemon are going to added. That just feels so depressing, honestly.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are being disingenuous.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
You're arguing that they either were too dumb to know what they were doing or that they're just guilty of a lie of omission... neither of which are terribly charitable. They could have easily announced that Sword and Shield wasn't completely compatible with Home at the Pokemon Home announcement but that would have made Home seem like the bad proposition it is so they announced it at the tail end of their Treehouse presentation. They knew what they were doing.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because I don't think Nintendo was trying to scam people into preordering using a diagram explaining how Home works at a completely separate event?

Nothing in that diagram is false.
There is nothing in that diagram implying it isn't universal. Masuda's whole spiel was about how important transferring has become for the series. Bringing up event mons is ridiculous compared to literally everything else being bankable

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we seriously going to go through this argument again? Pokemon Home used similar fucking marketing and wording to Pokemon Bank, which was the idea of carrying all of your legacy Pokemon into the new generation.

3ds_pokemonbank.jpg

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It has arrows going both way to show that they can be transferred back and forth. Which is a fact. It has arrows showing where it is a one way transfer. Which is a fact.

You interpreted it wrong.
It has arrows going from Bank to Home to Sw/Sh back and forth.

Your interpretation is the one that is wrong. My interpretation is the one the entire fanbase believed for 2 weeks.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
More people are going to speculate which Pokemon are going to be taken away far more than they will be wondering what kind of new Pokemon are going to added. That just feels so depressing, honestly.
That's going to overshadow everything coming forward unfortunately.

Every direct or trailer isn't going to be fun anymore.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
There is nothing in that diagram implying it isn't universal. Masuda's whole spiel was about how important transferring has become for the series. Bringing up event mons is ridiculous compared to literally everything else being bankable

Why would the diagram have to imply that? It was literally just a diagram to show how Home functions.

Ya'll are just getting crazy now.

It has arrows going from Bank to Home to Sw/Sh back and forth.

Your interpretation is the one that is wrong. My interpretation is the one the entire fanbase believed for 2 weeks.

You can transfer both directions with Sword and Shield. That is the entire purpose of the arrows going both ways. I don't even recall anyone saying anything about it meaning every pokemon could be transferred to Sword and Shield.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can hate the decision without proclaiming they are doing it out of laziness. Backseat developing is awful.
When did I said it was lazy? I did not condone those posts either.
But you can't throw everyone in the same space and just be like 'hey, some of you don't know how to complain, so everyone shut up'.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"The message any sane human being would get from this diagram is the wrong interpretation. My beloved company didn't lie, everyone else was just wrong"

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
When did I said it was lazy? I did not condone those posts either.
But you can't throw everyone in the same space and just be like 'hey, some of you don't know how to complain, so everyone shut up'.

I never said you said it was lazy...

Because theyre trying to sell a new service. Use context, his words at the cofnerence, and look at the image. Like how are you seriously arguing this

Because you're wrong. And under some massive conspiracy that doesn't even make sense. If you don't like it go cancel your preorder?

They SHOULD have put a disclaimer saying that just some Pokemon are transferable. A tiny sentence in a cotoner would have been enough.

Well fortunately they did even better than that. They literally came out and told us a week later.

Status
Not open for further replies.