• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
TPC has been doing this in-store crap since the GBA days iirc, getting people to buy things in-store, specifically Pokemon merch, has always been the goal

And also, if any employee says you need to buy something for the code, no you don't. I've walked in and out multiple times leaving with just the code

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Is this why theres a line 50 deep outside GameStop? Driving around for work and passed a strip mall and saw people waiting outside.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
It bothers me that they don't use the Pokemon Pass app, like it's right there and was supposedly made for these events. I know they did one for Toxtricity(had to go to GameStop, open the app and you got a code for the Pokemon).

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
It bothers me that they don't use the Pokemon Pass app, like it's right there and was supposedly made for these events. I know they did one for Toxtricity(had to go to GameStop, open the app and you got a code for the Pokemon).

That was so easy, you didn't even need to go into the store or the mall. Back when we still had Gamestops in Seattle, I just parked outside the mall and was close enough to get a code for my kid.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Why would people line up for these? Is the intent to try and get a bunch so they can sell?
That seems to be the case. I saw a lot of adults in front of the store near me, couldn't line up because I still have to return to work. Hardly any kids.

Now I am worried the cards are completely given out before I even get 1 card.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
That seems to be the case. I saw a lot of adults in front of the store near me, couldn't line up because I still have to return to work. Hardly any kids.

I hope not.

If I snag one I wonder if anyone who owns Shield wants to trade. I want Shiny Zacian.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I actually never thought about it or tried to confirm before now, but with these promotions, is the mystery gift redeemable on multiple files of the same game, or no? Like, if I made a second character using a second profile on my Switch, could I get another one? (Would be nice, as I'd like to get a Zacian for myself in my Shield, and also have one to give to my nephew who has Sword.)

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I actually never thought about it or tried to confirm before now, but with these promotions, is the mystery gift redeemable on multiple files of the same game, or no? Like, if I made a second character using a second profile on my Switch, could I get another one? (Would be nice, as I'd like to get a Zacian for myself in my Shield, and also have one to give to my nephew who has Sword.)
If it is the same with the Dada Zarude and Shiny Celebi from Pokemon Trainer Club, it's 1 code per game.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Fairly sure they're one-time usage but there are various stores with online distribution so you might be able to get another one from there.

GAME UK: https://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...d=10151&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic
Micromania FR: https://www.micromania.fr/LicenseCa..._source=netaffiliation&utm_campaign=deeplinks

I only have Sword but might be able to get a spare shiny Zamazenta on Monday if anyone only has Shield, gets a spare shiny Zacian and wants to trade in Pokemon Home.

Last edited:

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
One time use codes.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TPC has been doing this in-store crap since the GBA days iirc, getting people to buy things in-store, specifically Pokemon merch, has always been the goal

And also, if any employee says you need to buy something for the code, no you don't. I've walked in and out multiple times leaving with just the code

At least in the DS days they just had a DS with a special cart in it that you could stand outside and get the mons from.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Fairly sure they're one-time usage but there are various stores with online distribution so you might be able to get another one from there.

GAME UK: https://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...d=10151&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Organic
Micromania FR: https://www.micromania.fr/LicenseCa..._source=netaffiliation&utm_campaign=deeplinks

I'm going to try using this method and hope that I get my codes on Monday for my two Sword and Shield games.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017

The codes are redeemable only once. However, you can redeem more than one code per save. At least, that's the way it has been for this Generation.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully in France it was like last year for Zarude, sign up for it on Micromania and done, pretty painless.
And you're sure to get the codes, unlike with the Pokémon Trainer Club.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

I hope not.

If I snag one I wonder if anyone who owns Shield wants to trade. I want Shiny Zacian.

People are lining up for the new Pokemon Celebrations TCG Products. Specifically the ultra premium collection.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Edit [claimed]
I got a code I don't want if anyone wants pm me.

Last edited:

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I have no reading comprehension and missed that the codes are only for Shield right now… 😔 Wasted a walk to GameStop lol. Now I'm giving the code to one of my friends. Sigh

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Your friend can redeem the code and then trade you the mon

So I have this issue: I have Sword, two sets of codes and a friend with Shield. But I can't redeem Zamazenta twice and give him one, right? I just tried with the second (unused) code and it said I had already received the gift.

On the other hand, he's not in the same region as I am: if he gives me a Zamazenta code from somewhere else, can I redeem that and trade it to him?

(I'm not in the US, so they've given codes for Sword and Shield at the same time here.)

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
So I have this issue: I have Sword, two sets of codes and a friend with Shield. But I can't redeem Zamazenta twice and give him one, right? I just tried with the second (unused) code and it said I had already received the gift.

On the other hand, he's not in the same region as I am: if he gives me a Zamazenta code from somewhere else, can I redeem that and trade it to him?

(I'm not in the US, so they've given codes for Sword and Shield at the same time here.)
You could always make a second profile on the Switch, play through Sword on speedmode until you get Zacian then redeem Zamazenta then (I don't know if completing the game is required to redeem the code so just try it on the new profile at various points).

This generation the gifts are region free so yes, if he gives you a Zamazenta code from elsewhere you can redeem it - but like said above I don't think you can redeem multiple on the same save so make a new Switch profile, play through it on that then you can move the redeemed Zamazenta to your main one via Home and trade, or just trade it to your friend through Home.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
You could always make a second profile on the Switch, play through Sword on speedmode until you get Zacian then redeem Zamazenta then (I don't know if completing the game is required to redeem the code so just try it on the new profile at various points).

This generation the gifts are region free so yes, if he gives you a Zamazenta code from elsewhere you can redeem it - but like said above I don't think you can redeem multiple on the same save so make a new Switch profile, play through it on that then you can move the redeemed Zamazenta to your main one via Home and trade, or just trade it to your friend through Home.

Thank you — I'll definitely do this if all else fails. Saw some chatter higher up that you could claim a gift again if it's from another region so might ask him to hit his local shops to get another code and see if we can work it out that way.

It was annoying but I got Shiny Zacian on my Pokemon Sword.

How?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Thank you — I'll definitely do this if all else fails. Saw some chatter higher up that you could claim a gift again if it's from another region so might ask him to hit his local shops to get another code and see if we can work it out that way.

How?
My sister got me a code , had to go to my a discord friend who had Shield , gave him the code , he downloaded Zacian and then traded it to me, thats the only way you will get it if you you only have Sword.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Can an additional code be redeemed if you have multiple accounts?

For example, if your setup is:

- 1 Nintendo Switch
- 1 copy of Pokemon Shield
- 2 different accounts under a Family membership
- 2 different game codes

Can each account log into Shield and redeem their own code?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Can an additional code be redeemed if you have multiple accounts?

For example, if your setup is:

- 1 Nintendo Switch
- 1 copy of Pokemon Shield
- 2 different accounts under a Family membership
- 2 different game codes

Can each account log into Shield and redeem their own code?
Yes, that is the only way to redeem additional code on 1 copy of game. They put a restriction of 1 code per save file. If you have an extra, you will need to create another save file with another profile to redeem the extra code.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
So uh if anyone can get me a code then that would be excellent! Otherwise a long trip to the MoA it is I guess lololol

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I was just realizing that I think this is the first "in store" promo they've done for the SwSh era. My last code card I have is for Ho-oh/Lugia for SM/USUM.

I think pretty much anything for SwSh was either from Home/just straight up digital distributions.

Im actually a little surprised they bothered to do a in store promo especially around the time stores are having so much problems with their TCG stock and there's not much of a point going into the stores. (as far as I know, Gamestop does have any other Pokemon product exclusives right now)

And now im kind of wondering if something like those Hat Pikachu last year were all supposed to be a store exclusive or something but they couldn't because of COVID

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Quick question: How far into the game do I have to get to be able to redeem the code? I have a friend who wants the shiny Zacian but only has Sword. I borrowed a copy of Shield off my sister so I could start a new game to be able to redeem the code then trade it over to them, updating it right now.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Quick question: How far into the game do I have to get to be able to redeem the code? I have a friend who wants the shiny Zacian but only has Sword. I borrowed a copy of Shield off my sister so I could start a new game to be able to redeem the code then trade it over to them, updating it right now.
You just need to get up to after you speak with Professor Magnolia, do the 2nd battle against Hop, and get the Dynamax band in route 2. It's like maybe 20 to 30 minutes if you avoid battles and mash during dialogue and skip the starter choosing cutscene.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Just before the first gym, but after defeating your rival in your first battle.

Source: I haven't even left the first town for the past 2 years.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks to you both :)

Another question: Can I delete the save file afterwards, start a new game and redeem another one? It would be for my own copy of Sword as I don't have Shield either. I'm guessing no.

I'm sorry I'm being a pain.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Thanks to you both :)

Another question: Can I delete the save file afterwards, start a new game and redeem another one? It would be for my own copy of Sword as I don't have Shield either. I'm guessing no.

I'm sorry I'm being a pain.
No. Since the code is used up, the server would mark the code as used, and you cannot re-redeem the same code again.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No. Since the code is used up, the server would mark the code as used, and you cannot re-redeem the same code again.

I'm talking a separate code to the one I just used. Would that still be a no? The friend I just helped regarding Zacian for got two codes to use, one was a spare for me just in case I couldn't get one.

Late edit: Tested it for myself as nothing to lose really, restarted game, used 2nd code perfectly fine and now I have a shiny Zacian on my sword.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Micromania code, I signed up for both separately since I have both games but only got one code that can be used for either, oh well, time to wait one more week wait for another code then.

Edit : nevermind I just got the second code :)

Last edited:

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Despite what the email says the Micromania codes are version specific and the email gives no indication as to what version you have received, oops. The code I tried in Sword said it couldn't be redeemed in my game, I had to redeem in Shield.

Last edited: