• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
So it's like round 2 of the Pokémon Generations web series? That's pretty cool, loved those

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So this is probably going to be like Generations but with 1 episode for each region, and hopefully the episode will be more in the 10 minute range rather than the ultra short Generations episodes

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ew they're using the Ultra SM protagonist. The OG Chicken-chan is much better.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
didn't play the game, is this a different character to Leon? because if not then uhhh.... hes now built like a jojo character, has a chunkier face and is lighter skinned? wtf happened? that's a cosplayer, right?
zJCaBOe.jpg

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they'd make full seasons in this style for each region, with a proper and closed storyline that's not "LET'S SEE WHAT ASH DOES THIS WEEK!"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they'd make full seasons in this style for each region, with a proper and closed storyline that's not "LET'S SEE WHAT ASH DOES THIS WEEK!"

They usually cover the games plot in a few episodes in the tv series because there's really not much going on there. "proper and closed storyline" just sounds pretentious. The games have always been about moment to moment encounters, not a constant story (Sun and Moon games sort of tried this and it sucked).

Honestly the tone of the tv series more closely matches the original games whimsical, weird comedy vibes than the shorts ever have and only improved a lot over the last few seasons. The shorts have some great animation but that's not at all viable for a longer show. Serious pokemon is such a fucking downer really.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
lol there is something funny when people claim this

Literally nothing in the games has a "proper and closed storyline", why do you think that Pokemon Origins skipped like 90% of the game?

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Literally nothing in the games has a "proper and closed storyline", why do you think that Pokemon Origins skipped like 90% of the game

Id wager those people don't play the games nor watch the anime. I didn't play gen8 but I know its not exactly a long or dense narrative game, with the expected adult person messes with nature and it bites them in the ass villain ecoterrorist plot. Most of the Gametime in Pokemon is spent going around catching and battling all kinds of trainers and pokemon which.....i dunno what they think the plot is but that's exactly what the tv show does lol.

Like you don't need to downplay something people like just because you don't have time or grew out of it.

Last edited:

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Literally nothing in the games has a "proper and closed storyline", why do you think that Pokemon Origins skipped like 90% of the game?
Does that mean they can't do one? They can stray away from the games all they want, it's just that I'm a bit tired of the anime being just an add-on to sell the games and retell the same story 20 times instead of trying to do something cool with the series on that medium.

Now, I love the ashnime, but sometimes I just feel wanting more, not sure how to explain it tbh

Oct 27, 2017

If the manga can do it the anime can. All of this is supplementary material anyway. It's not like Twilight Wings didn't make up a bunch of storylines that weren't in the game for various SwSh characters

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
If the manga can do it the anime can. All of this is supplementary material anyway. It's not like Twilight Wings didn't make up a bunch of storylines that weren't in the game for various SwSh characters
Not really seeing the connection here, people ask for a direct adaptation when that has been proven to be not possible while ignoring that Pokemon is a multimedia franchise so thinking that they can easily change the way it works in tandem is kind of odd, is like asking why those other anime that have been airing for years don't stop

Plus having spin-off animations is better than nothing at all

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not really seeing the connection here, people ask for a direct adaptation when that has been proven to be not possible

Plus having spin-off animations is better than nothing at all

No you assumed that. No one said a "direct adaptation". They said a full storyline for a given region. Meaning using the characters and based on the game's storyline. There's nothing whatsoever, except a lack of desire to, preventing that from being possible.

Even before these recent animations we had the Pokemon Crystal: Legend of Thunder special which followed the characters from Crystal and was more or less just loosely based on the game's lore

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
No you assumed that. No one said a "direct adaptation". They said a full storyline for a given region. Meaning using the characters and based on the game's storyline. There's nothing whatsoever, except a lack of desire to, preventing that from being possible.

Even before these recent animations we had the Pokemon Crystal: Legend of Thunder special which followed the characters from Crystal and was more or less just loosely based on the game's lore
That was also still based on the anime storyline, once again the way pokemon works makes it unfeasible to change the anime to be a more direct adaptation, if anything the way you what already is done by the anime, is just being tired of following Ash who is now more of a mascot

Oct 27, 2017
That was also still based on the anime storyline, once again the way pokemon works makes it unfeasible to change the anime to be a more direct adaptation, if anything the way you what already is done by the anime, is just being tired of following Ash who is now more of a mascot
How was it based on the anime storyline? I'm talking about this special. It was completely divorced from the anime

Pok_mon_The_Legend_of_Thunder_TV-617074904-large.jpg

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
How was it based on the anime storyline? I'm talking about this special. It was completely divorced from the anime

Pok_mon_The_Legend_of_Thunder_TV-617074904-large.jpg
I mean set in the same continuity as the anime, it was also one of the various specials that were made for it (that they still do from time to time) that were later dubbed for Pokémon Chronicles

Also it was 20 years ago, it obvious that they have different priorities now

Oct 27, 2017
I mean set in the same continuity as the anime, it was also one of the various specials that were made for it (that they still do from time to time) that were later dubbed for Pokémon Chronicles

Also it was 20 years ago, it obvious that they have different priorities now

This sounds entirely arbitrary and irrelevant. It was a special/series of episodes that didn't follow Ash and co. It even had it's own OP and ED
And it being 20 years ago has nothing to do with how "possible" it is, which was the main discussion

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The anime still does specials they just usually aren't that great. I don't see how they'd fix any story complaints one would have with the actual anime though. The Mega Evolution specials for example don't really particularly ENHANCE X and Y, they're just there.

I prefer stuff like Generations or Twilight Wings compared to something that tries to do the whole plot of a game tbh

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they'd fix any story complaints one would have with the actual anime though
they'd have to tell the story with different intentions, in a way. rather than be a cartoon who's episode length is based on when the next season is supposed to appear, do a set number of episodes. maybe even change the demographic, similar to how Generations/Twilight Wings/Evolution did

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This sounds entirely arbitrary and irrelevant. It was a special/series of episodes that didn't follow Ash and co. It even had it's own OP and ED
And it being 20 years ago has nothing to do with how "possible" it is, which was the main discussion
lol yes it does, because now there will be different priorities about it, again in the end Ash is now a mascot and since they can easily make this web series there is no reason to create a unique anime

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
Looking at the poster - GREEN!? I'm IN! Lillie's story looks interesting too! Really looking forward to this series!

(here it is from the other topic, and posted by Serebii:)