• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the major release of Pokemon be this year?

• Pokemon Sword 2 and Pokemon Shield 2

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 174 39.6%
  • Let's Go to Johto

Votes: 41 9.3%
  • Spinoff game as highlight (Pokken 2, Detective Pikachu 2, Pokemon Sleep, Etc)

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • No major releases this year, it will be a gap year

Votes: 112 25.5%
  • Pokemon Gen 9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Pokemon Gun

Votes: 20 4.6%

• Total voters

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
It seems very clear GameFreak needs a year off but those Sinnoh remakes aren't going to ship themselves

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Gun.

605.png

Really, though, I hope mainline Pokemon games get on a once every two years schedule.

Last edited:

Pewpewlazors

Sep 13, 2018
Go! Pokémon Snap

A whole new take on the Pokémon Snap Series for the modern day (Including Pokémon Go Integration). It also includes the Original Pokémon Snap you know and love fully redone in the "Pokémon Go" Art Style.

Don't kill my hopes and dreams.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ideally they would take a year or two off to restructure Game Freak and produce a genuinely good video game...but they won't.

DP remakes churned out with less features and polish than Platinum most likely.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd prefer it if Game Freak took a year (maybe even two years) off to give themselves more time to work on their upcoming projects. But realistically, I feel like they're gonna try to get the Gen 4 remakes out this year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it's gonna be either an off year or Sinnoh remakes. Their recent comment implies Let's Go was a one time thing and sequels/enhanced versions of SWSH seem unlikely since it has many bells and whistles you associate with those kind of games.

But yeah, wish they would just take a break and make their dev cycles longer, but yay capitalism.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
What I hope will happen: Nothing. If they must release a game, then at least have it be Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield so that they can actually finish Sword and Shield.

What will probably happen: Diamond and Pearl remakes, but as per the downward trajectory of the series, it will be worse than the original Diamond and Pearl, much less Platinum.

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the OT in hangouts where else can we talk the pre-Switch titles? I just started getting my old carts out and I need a primer on Bank/Home too.

I use the commonly known online resources and they are helpful for legacy titles but I'm forever looking for 'up to date' info on them. I totally understand the community has moved on too.

My current solution is looking up episodes of older Pokemon podcasts that covered these games as they were released and some have been very useful as they talk about the state of the meta and in-game mechanics at that moment in time.

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield, Sinnoh Remakes, Let's Go Johto. I would honestly be happy with any of the 3 games.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should take a gap year, as Sw/Sh were clearly rushed out and Game Freak need more time to develop these things.

If they release Gen 4 remakes this year I'll probably just skip as I can't see them turning out well.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
One year off? They're far enough behind the competition (other jrpg titles on the Switch) that they should take two years off.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I never said there's absolutely no way

I said logically in my opinion we're getting a year off

No, TPC does not make the decisions. Game Freak are TPC's bosses, not vice versa

The Pokemon Company is a joint venture between Gamefreak, Nintendo and Creatures. Gamefreak are not the only bosses of The Pokemon Company.

Also, you've yet to provide any solid evidence to counteract my initial point? Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon was being developed by a B team at Gamefreak whilst the A team was working on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword and Shield.

Gamefreak has designed their company in such a way that they can commit to yearly releases. There's no financial incentive to take a break especially after the embrassing sales figures of Little Town Hero.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Pokemon Company is a joint venture between Gamefreak, Nintendo and Creatures. Gamefreak are not the only bosses of The Pokemon Company.

Also, you've yet to provide any solid evidence to counteract my initial point? Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon was being developed by a B team at Gamefreak whilst the A team was working on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword and Shield.

Gamefreak has designed their company in such a way that they can commit to yearly releases. They're not going to take a break especially after the embrassing sales figures of Little Town Hero, there's no financial incentive to take a break.
I know exactly how TPC works. How? I've been told how TPC works by TPC.

The main games are designed and planned by Game Freak with input from TPC, Creatures and Nintendo so everyone can collaborate to the launch of their respective products (TCG for Creatures, spin-offs anime, movies and merch for TPC) as well as promotions etc. for around the same time. Game Freak have control and decide what's what, not TPC as people seem to keep making it out to be

And why would I counteract that point when I know it's accurate as has been said in interviews etc?

I still maintain this year will probably be a year off with no new main series game released. It fits how they work and has historical precedent. Just because their small garage project of Little Town Hero didn't do well doesn't change that

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I still maintain this year will probably be a year off with no new main series game released. It fits how they work and has historical precedent. Just because their small garage project of Little Town Hero didn't do well doesn't change that

They've released a mainline game since 2016, that's their latest trend. There's more historical precedence for a new mainline release this year.

The only possible way we could see Gamefreak taking a break from releasing a mainline Pokemon game this year is if Nintendo wanted to release a game in 2020 that takes the usual release slot of Pokemon.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Pokemon Gun seems like the right call to me. Lets the team add more pokemon to the Global Dex without having to go too crazy or commit to just one gen.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the year off this year.

Hopefully they get everything in line. I stopped playing Sword when I realized I couldn't finish the pokedex.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I expect a year off from Game Freak and I believe we won't see a new generation till 2023.

2020: Detective Pikachu 2 and lots of DLC for SwSh to keep the game alive (mostly new raids)
2021: Pokken 2, Diamond and Pearl remakes
2022: Mystery Dungeon Switch
2023: Generation 9 right at the end of Switch's life cycle

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it will ultimately happen but I am hoping for a year off to give Game Freak a little bit time to breath. These yearly releases are not the most healthiest thing for the game's quality.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally nothing, but probably something