• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the major release of Pokemon be this year?

• Pokemon Sword 2 and Pokemon Shield 2

Votes: 28 6.4%
  • Sinnoh Remakes

Votes: 174 39.6%
  • Let's Go to Johto

Votes: 41 9.3%
  • Spinoff game as highlight (Pokken 2, Detective Pikachu 2, Pokemon Sleep, Etc)

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • No major releases this year, it will be a gap year

Votes: 112 25.5%
  • Pokemon Gen 9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Pokemon Gun

Votes: 20 4.6%

• Total voters

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I want a Let's Go Johto (with allowing us to battle wild mons) but on the other hand I really crave DP remakes. I don't care if they are 100% top-down and "classic-style", I just want them :P

If there is not big game, it would be a good year to bring Virtual Console Pokémon games.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Gen 7 is the only time they didn't have a year off.

They don't have games out every single year.

Since 2012, they have had a mainline Pokemon game come out every single year, except for 2015.

While I think it's foolish to say "there's absolutely no way Game Freak won't put out a game this winter", it's completely valid and substantial to argue they might because they have released 7 mainline pokemon games in the past 8 years. Make that 15 games if you count Pokemon Quest and each individual version.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Gen 7 is the only time they didn't have a year off.

They don't have games out every single year.

Yeah, Generation 7 is the first generation to not have breaks and the result of that was profit maximisation on The Pokemon Company's part.

Why in the world would they want to give that up? From 2016 onwards, a Pokemon game was released every winter. It's obviously a winning formula and Diamond and Pearl remakes are the most cost-efficient continuation after Sword and Shield for obvious reasons.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No mainline or Let's Go titles this year please. Let the mainline games rest, SwSh were terrible Pokémon games, I already got the 8 medals and have yet to finish the league or whatever, but the lack of substance, the lack of ambition, the lack of pretty much everything has soured me really bad on the franchise. Take your time and plan for something much better, GameFreak, SwSh is not what the first console Pokémon game should've been.
Edit: Hell, I'll gadly take a 2 year gap if it means getting an actual good game, be it a sequel to SwSh or the remakes, but of course they will not take a 2 year gap for mainline titles.

Last edited:

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Generation 7 is the first generation to not have breaks and the result of that was profit maximisation on The Pokemon Company's part.

Why in the world would they want to give that up? From 2016 onwards, a Pokemon game was released every winter. It's obviously a winning formula and Diamond and Pearl remakes are the most cost-efficient continuation after Sword and Shield for obvious reasons.

It all depends on the multi-year plan for the anime and merchandise (the games just follow that plan and must release on time according to plans, not the other way around). This 2020 it's either lets go johto or DP remakes. We'll see what it is when all the 2020 merchandise starts leaking.

Pokémon is not a videogame franchise anymore, it's merchandise, and the games are just big ads (that also make a lot of money, but not close to the merch)

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I do not believe in a Gen 4 remake (which will be the next game, I would be surprised if not) happening this year, atleast currently.

So I do believe we will get a gap year with spinoffs. Honestly Pokken 2 doesn't seem farfetch'd.

edit:

It all depends on the multi-year plan for the anime and merchandise (the games just follow that plan and must release on time according to plans, not the other way around). This 2020 it's either lets go johto or DP remakes. We'll see what it is when all the 2020 merchandise starts leaking.

Pokémon is not a videogame franchise anymore, it's merchandise, and the games are just big ads (that also make a lot of money, but not close to the merch)

We know for a fact that no Let's Go title is in development. I don't know who said it but someone definitly said it in an interview.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

True, Regardless of what we get, a mainline entry is inevitable (Let's Go count as mainline entries as confirmed by Masuda).

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If they have to release this year the best options would be a Sw/Sh 2 with recycled assets + new added ones and a lot of polish or a Let's Go 2 reusing Kanto from the first and adding Johto.

Save Gen 4 remakes for next year with a lot of added pokemons and polish.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Give me Mystery Dungeon Switch.
Next year DPP remakes will claim the crown as best Pokémon games ever.

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like an extended story DLC.

I dunno how you handle a DLC Campaign level wise, since people could be going in at Level 60s after the league or Level 100s after raids and candies. Only way I see a DLC working level wise is having a fixed level for trainer battles (Level 50 for example) and even then, most people would probably rather have new pokemon in the DLC to catch which you can't really control by level (and that adds further complications with trading as well).

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
It's going to be DP remakes sadly and I'm worried they will destroy my favorite generation.

Please GameFreak stop making games for 1-2 years and actually make one good game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope there just isn't one, and GF spends this time getting their shit together instead of putting out another half-baked game like Sword and Shield.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully just a spin-off. Detective Pikachu 2 is the most likely, but I'd love a proper, evolved Mystery Dungeon Switch game.

I just want Game Freak to get at least a year's break so the next game is stellar. I'd be fine with a 2 year gap, honestly. Absense makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I want Gamefreak to take a year's break just like everyone else does, but The Pokemon Company is not going to let that happen.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Since 2012, they have had a mainline Pokemon game come out every single year, except for 2015.

While I think it's foolish to say "there's absolutely no way Game Freak won't put out a game this winter", it's completely valid and substantial to argue they might because they have released 7 mainline pokemon games in the past 8 years. Make that 15 games if you count Pokemon Quest and each individual version.
I never said there's absolutely no way

I said logically in my opinion we're getting a year off

No, TPC does not make the decisions. Game Freak are TPC's bosses, not vice versa

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they can't make it any worse, Diamond and Pearl are the worst ones.
Diamond and Pearl have a workable level curve and dont feel like shit halfway through on a combat level which is more than I can say for HGSS, the "beloved" of the franchise. Anyway, Platinum fixed everything wrong with DP, and we have no reason to assume they wouldnt adapt Pt's QOL changes. And Platinum is almost tied with BW2 as best in the series.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't mind a gap year while they get it together - SwSh feel so rushed.
They did indeed. I'm not confident that we'll see an annual Pokemon adventure any longer. They feel like they need more time in the oven, and honestly, I don't mind at all. One a year is too much, at least, for me as a casual fan.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't want Gamefreak to release anything. Let another dev have a crack at a Pokemon spinoff. Not interested in mobile games.

They did indeed. I'm not confident that we'll see an annual Pokemon adventure any longer. They feel like they need more time in the oven, and honestly, I don't mind at all. One a year is too much, at least, for me as a casual fan.
I agree 100% but they still sold a ton for SwSh, so may as well churn out more if people will just lap it up.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Hoping for nothing.

After Sword/Shield, my faith in the mainline games is extremely low right now. It will take two years for me to even be excited about Gen 4 remakes.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Please take a year off. Please.

but probably Sinnoh remakes ugh

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
It should be multiple years off until the next new gen with 100% staff on them for the whole of development.

It will be Sinnoh remakes.

Last edited:

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Hopeful for Sinnoh remakes, would also accept Let's Go Johto but won't be mad if they take a year off

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
I want Sinnoh remake! It's my favorite Gen and the Gen I stopped at. I would be one very happy person if they remake Sinnoh for the Switch. I love and miss Cynthia so much too! First female champion, let's gooooo! She's so cool, smart, actually goes against the bad guys with you, has a lot of direct involvement with the story... Everything about her is superb and splendid.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
If we want to continue the trend of making 2020 a year of great then Pokemon Gen 4 Remake is needed ^_^

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I have a strong feeling this will be a gap year. Mainly because next year is the 25th anniversary, and I think that guarantees us a release given how explosively the 20th anniversary was celebrated.

Hopefully we get content patches/dlc for sw/sh in the meantime or something though

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
TemTem.
No seriously, it looks really good and I hope mainline Pokemon is off this year so they can actually flesh the next game out.

Realistically, I think we're getting DP remakes this year. Emphasis being DP remakes, so no distortion world, and I fully expect the post-game island to be neutered (routes shortened, etc.)

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not sure, honestly. I'd say a SwSh+ release is more likely than a Sinnoh remake, which gives them an extra year to really knock it out of the park with that one. Either that or a gap year. I'd rather have a (great) Sinnoh remake though, but I think they're saving that for 2021.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
What they need is to stop and rethink what they are doing.
But nothing is going to be learned becuase people keep buying the games in droves, so the mediocrity will prevail forever wuth their game each year excuse.

At least have some fucking decency and do like Ubisoft with AC, that even with game per year (and they even know that was too much), have 2 big teams with completely different directors so they have at least time to both make good games.
Heck, maybe we discover a good director that actually goes forward with the franchise one of this years this way.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
Year off next year is the 25 anniversary so it make sense to release DP Remakes next year. Hopefully they go big this time.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Gen 4 remakes are this year especially with how much better marketing synergy it'll have then

So the only options this year are ShSh remakes or
sequels, or a gap year with a spin off. I'm of the mind they will take the break considering they already got some games out and the harsh pre release the game has had. Granted it sold well and reviewed decently but this is still the Pokemon game with the harshest reception

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally nothing and they polish whatever is next, I've been playing sword and it's okay but as underwhelming as everything I had seen about it before. It should have gotten more time than what we got so that's why I'm hoping the next one has time

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
2 spaces in Sword/Shield's code for mythical Pokemon makes me think 2020's going to be a gap year, at least when it comes to the main series. There'll definitely be some sort of higher-profile spinoff for the holiday season, though; maybe Pokken 2 or something crazy like that. Guessing Diamond/Pearl remakes for 2021, though.