• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
HD development experience doesn't come from nowhere. Say it with me.
Even having worked on the Wii compared to the 3DS is a very different matter. As a stepping stone into HD development, SWSH is a big leap, and unlike most Switch games it seems to be running at 1080p. They'll improve with each new game and they'll have entirely caught up with all these other experienced developers you're all comparing them with relatively pretty soon.
I suppose, i'd just like to look a Pokémon game and be impressed. The rest of Nintendo's franchise aren't powerhouses in terms of graphics but they look really good in HD. it's shame Pokémon has to feel behind. By the time they got caught up won't everything have moved on and they will be behind again?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose, i'd just like to look a Pokémon game and be impressed. The rest of Nintendo's franchise aren't powerhouses in terms of graphics but they look really good in HD. it's shame Pokémon has to feel behind.
Nintendo had a lot of time to get where they are, they were never stuck developing their flagship titles on ancient hardware like the 3DS

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
HD development experience doesn't come from nowhere. Say it with me.
Even having worked on the Wii compared to the 3DS is a very different matter. As a stepping stone into HD development, SWSH is a big leap, and unlike most Switch games it seems to be running at 1080p. They'll improve with each new game and they'll have entirely caught up with all these other experienced developers you're all comparing them with relatively pretty soon.

But it does come from teams that you can ask for support from. It is very hard for me to imagine gf couldn't have asked for some help from Nintendo core devs. I get so frustrated about pokemon visuals because the gameplay base is already incredibly solid so taking one game and adding tons of bells and whistles to the visuals isn't going to collapse the franchise or anything.

I can't imagine that the developers for the main series games of the largest media franchise on earth would have trouble finding some talented HD developers to create technically competitive visuals. And if GF are gonna do it themselves then I'm gonna compare them to other HD titles and not cut them slack just cause it's their "first time".

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
But it does come from teams that you can ask for support from. It is very hard for me to imagine gf couldn't have asked for some help from Nintendo core devs. I get so frustrated about pokemon visuals because the gameplay base is already incredibly solid so taking one game and adding tons of bells and whistles to the visuals isn't going to collapse the franchise or anything.

I can't imagine that the developers for the main series games of the largest media franchise on earth would have trouble finding some talented HD developers to create technically competitive visuals. And if GF are gonna do it themselves then I'm gonna compare them to other HD titles and not cut them slack just cause it's their "first time".
Nintendo does help with development

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Could you imagine an in-house mainline Pokemon game developed by Nintendo themselves, they would blow our minds off with the effort and details the way Nintendo makes their games, I've now set mysef up for disappointment knowing that will never happen. :/

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Could you imagine an in-house mainline Pokemon game developed by Nintendo themselves, they would blow our minds off with the effort and details the way Nintendo makes their games, I've now set mysef up for disappointment knowing that will never happen. :/

Why take the long road around, just call GF lazy devs like you want to.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh boy, I can't wait for the direct tomor... And we're back to people complaining about the graphics. Great.

It's gonna suck when the first handful of thread pages tomorrow get clogged up with the usual "ewww random battles", "why does this look like a wii game", and "where's my open world".

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, I can't wait for the direct tomor... And we're back to people complaining about the graphics. Great.

It's gonna suck when the first handful of thread pages tomorrow get clogged up with the usual "ewww random battles", "why does this look like a wii game", and "where's my open world".
People need to get their priorities straight. Complaining about the (maybe) lack of following Pokémon is where it's at

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say XY and SM are pretty wildly different presentation wise, as is Town

The thing is SS looks an awful lot like SM in the way that the towns and region is presented, which is a disappointment considering there's much better hardware at their disposal (considering DP looked different from GBA games, and even XY to Gen V, sure they came with their downgrades but at least they presented something differently). Maybe it's an issue with time constraints or wanting to port assets over.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
My predictions for tomorrow's Direct:
1) the legendaries - or the legendary, if it is a single one with two alternative forms; I am looking forward to this, to decide if I will buy Sword or Shield)
2) a few Pokémon of the early routes (e.g. the classic bird and bug Pokémon)
3) some characters will be shown, maybe the new Professor or the rival
4) finally, a look at the new mechanic, that I suppose will be related to the stadiums
5) the release date

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is SS looks an awful lot like SM in the way that the towns and region is presented, which is a disappointment considering there's much better hardware at their disposal (considering DP looked different from GBA games, and even XY to Gen V, sure they came with their downgrades but at least they presented something differently). Maybe it's an issue with time constraints or wanting to port assets over.
I'm still hoping we get a controllable camera so we'll see lmao
But even then at least the camera is lower almost everywhere now, for example in SM the view in caves was all top-down while we've seen it's completely behind the back in SWSH

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Won't be able to watch live, after it airs would anyone mind linking me to the Direct on Youtube...directly so I don't have to wade through YouTube and possible spoilers searching for it?

Hopefully I can watch about two hours after.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo does help with development
I mean specifically with visuals in this instance. Which it would be incredibly odd if they were helping on that front yet the game came out looking worse than the majority of their other first party titles. But We'll have to wait till release before I can say that I guess.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
My predictions for tomorrow's Direct:
1) the legendaries - or the legendary, is it a single one with two alternative forms; I am looking forward to this, to decide if I will buy Sword or Shield)

This is a great shout, was thinking something similar myself.

Looking forward to this, shame I'll be at work when it is live. Will try to wait for EZA reactions later

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
This is a great shout, was thinking something similar myself.

Looking forward to this, shame I'll be at work when it is live. Will try to wait for EZA reactions later
I listened to the theory of a single legendary which has two alternative forms from a Youtube content creator and, actually, I think it could be likely. For the first time, the shapes of the legendaries (supposing it is their shape) is in the logos of the two games and the two shapes are basically the same, so maybe we will get some surprises about it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme a grouse and pokefy those eyebrow combs, guvnah
BdgE4vK.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like regional variants. I mean, you're changing the typing, moves, and the way the Pokemon looks. That's a new Pokemon at that point. They only reason they make it a variant instead of a new Pokemon is to pander.

I just feel like with all the other stuff like dual typing, abilities, Megas, etc, it just creates way too much confusion. The idea of having Rattata, but then Alolan Rattata and Galar Rattata just seems ridiculous.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Unambiotus is better than lazy. There's no doubt everyone involved works super hard on each game, it is just that the overall project is lacking ambition.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like regional variants. I mean, you're changing the typing, moves, and the way the Pokemon looks. That's a new Pokemon at that point. They only reason they make it a variant instead of a new Pokemon is to pander.

I just feel like with all the other stuff like dual typing, abilities, Megas, etc, it just creates way too much confusion. The idea of having Rattata, but then Alolan Rattata and Galar Rattata just seems ridiculous.

Yeah, cause there is no such thing as different subspecies that adapt to different climates in real life.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Unambitious is just what people on this forum settled for so they can call a developer lazy without getting in trouble with the mods for it.
Well I don't mean it as an insult. I just mean its operating within a certain limited scope. Although it's fair point we havn't seen that much of the game, so I won't commit to that until we see more.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
15 is a lot for a pokemon direct aimet at 1 game. They may announce the switch mini in it, it'd make sense. Parents could buy a 3ds + the new pokemon game for 100 euros, now they'd had to spend 300 + 60.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the various pika wannabes (plusle, minum, pachirisu, emolga ect) are regional variants in all but name.

Its just that some of them have been around for so long that people dont think about them that way.
To be fair pachirisu is a squirrel and emolga a flying one...😏
So what I'm saying is put some respect on those two Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.