• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Because they do not depend only on the level, but on the available Pokémon.
Not sure I'm reading your comment right, but the teams will also change based on that. Using Brock for example. A 0 badge battle would have only Geodude & Onyx. And the team at 7 badges earned changes to a team of 6 including Steelix, Golem, Fossil ones, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
Get out of here with this pessimism. Believe in Gamefreak a little people jeez

There's a reason why that pessimism exists in the first place. From the mediocre 3DS entries to their design philosophy being compromised out of some misguided belief that kids aren't interested in their games (despite being consistent 10+mil sellers). There's no reason to have much faith in Game Freak.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I just really, REALLY hope we don't get the disappointment of having a 7 minute video have only 1 minute (or less) of actual footage.

They delayed the game a year for LGPE, I wanna see the starters and a good indication of what things are gonna look like

Well the S/M Direct was about just as long so prepare to be disappointed. It will be a lot of talking and a glimpse at the games

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd enjoy a Monster Hunter World approach to the game in the sense that the game at it's core and formula are still what we know, but the locations are very large with lots of diversity per area and the environments are more engaging. Also lots of QoL changes to make a lot of previous nuances easier to deal with.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
1487198072156.jpg

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I thought open world games were unfashionable now.

I expect a traditional Pokemon game, with very small changes, nothing impressive.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
There's a reason why that pessimism exists in the first place. From the mediocre 3DS entries to their design philosophy being compromised out of some misguided belief that kids aren't interested in their games (despite being consistent 10+mil sellers). There's no reason to have much faith in Game Freak.
The comments about kids getting lost in Sinnoh is likely the reason why the games have been more linear since then.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
What's a super out there hope you have for a single aspect of Gen 8?

Personally, I hope you see Pokemon in the wild and they behave naturally in said environment. Say, a Pidgey flies by and lands in a tree, that type of thing. I liked seeing Pokemon in LG, but the way they just kind of wandered around and disappeared in patches of grass was boring. I'd like it if they ditched the idea or "encounter tiles" and just had Pokemon around where ever you are as well.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pokemon hasn't drawn me in for generations due to it's outdated game design and increasingly absurd handholding and linearity.

Came close to buying let's go but controls made me nope out.

We'll see what this can do.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not sure I'm reading your comment right, but the teams will also change based on that. Using Brock for example. A 0 badge battle would have only Geodude & Onyx. And the team at 7 badges earned changes to a team of 6 including Steelix, Golem, Fossil ones, etc.
But the problem is that the limitations of type affect less the more you advance in the game. Just start Pokémon Red with Charmander, for example, you have few options to deal with the rock type. If at any time you can capture any Pokémon, you can make more broken combinations if there are still gyms based on types.

In a linear experience, except for exchanges, the developer can control which Pokémon you have in each moment. That is much more important than the level, I think.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Some guys should move on from pokémon, it's too much suffering for them.

Some are suffering for 6, 12 or almost 20 years, it breaks my heart.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think if people are hoping for a botw leap they are going to be disappointing. gamefreak has always been a rather concervitive studio. never realy pushing the hardware they are on. my only request to to nt have the pokemon go michanics, and if they do, give me the option of switcing to old school catching.
Well. That's not really true.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
"BotW Pokemon" to me means a large, fully explorable region (not linear routes connecting towns), and the ability to challenge gyms in any order (with a gym for every type, and different leagues opening up with more badges).

Gamefreak love to play things safe, however, so I'm not expecting anything like that :/

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want there to be meaningful post game content. It's been nearly 7 years since Black/White 2.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I would love this. I've wanted this forever. Then everyone has a different experience too which fosters all kinds of conversation and discussion. Pokémon games are very rigid these days, which I don't like.
Yes, I don't know why it won't be possible for a gym to have level 10 vulpix if it is challenge with 0 badge and a level 50 Ninetales if challenged last. It would skyrocket the replayability and everybody's experience will be different. Now I will be really angry if they don't implement this

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yes, I don't know why it won't be possible for a gym to have level 10 vulpix if it is challenge with 0 badge and a level 50 Ninetales if challenged last. It would skyrocket the replayability and everybody's experience will be different. Now I will be really angry if they don't implement this

Anger is the default state of any true Pokémon fan.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
"Thank you for tuning into this exciting Nintendo Direct. We hope you are all excited for the next iteration in the Pokemon franchise: Pokemon PB and Pokemon J. What do those letters stand for? You will have to play the game to find out! Now, let's take our first look:

(1 minute trailer plays)

Looks exciting, doesn't it? Did you notice that you only saw Pokemon from Generation 1? That's because only Generation 1 will appear in the latest game. All other Pokemon have been killed off. The reminder of this Direct will demonstrate how each species was made extinct. Thank you for your time and we can't wait to see you in Kanto this holiday season!"

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Are the NPCs going to move in grid based L shaped lines like they did in LGPE? That was pretty bad in a 2018 Switch title.

Hyping myself that Gen 8 will be a massive departure from the Pokemon formula, just as BotW was to the Zelda formula.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
so . . .the image the pokemon twitter used to announce the direct has 3 pokeballs on it

starters confirmed for tomorrow?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would be terrible though. Each gym would need a small amount of Pokemon in order to account for challenging them with 0 badges and the strategies they employ would also need to be counterable at low levels. You either have a bunch of gyms that take literally no thought to beat at the end game or GF has to go through the process of designing multiple unique teams for every gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.