• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So i just got a 2DS and it came pre-loaded with Pokemon Yellow. I decided that i should finally give Poke a serious try and i'm playing it. But i'm not really feeling it. It feels really archaic and cumbersome to play and i'm trying to avoid grinding with not much success. I'm at the first gym battle and the only strong enough Pokemon i have is Pikachu, which is literally useless in this particular battle. I feel like the only solution here is to grind heavily and i would rather avoid it :/

Bearing in mind that i like to follow a series through instead of jumping around back and forth, should i stick with it or should i really just skip it and what entry should i get instead? From what i gather, i have access to all the main entries on the 2DS, so should i just skip to the next game (Crystal) or skip to the DS or even to the 3DS ones?
You should get a Mankey in the grass west of the first city to easily beat him. First gen (second a little bit too but the new types and pokemon really help) is really archaic and can be easily broken with some pokemon, but their remakes are better. Crystal is great but the DS remakes are much better (and also hella expensive nowadays).
As always newer gens are better in the gameplay department, although the newer gens have some slowdown during battles due to the 3d models being too good for 3ds.
However, the main question is why are you not enjoying the game. The gameplay has evolved byt if the thing putting you off is the turn base combat then we have an issue.
Edit: some of the hardest part when you are new to pokemon is knowin the type weaknesses. Sun/Moon tells you literally which attacks will be effective / neutral / weak against a pokemon you have already encoutnered so it helps a lot.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So i just got a 2DS and it came pre-loaded with Pokemon Yellow. I decided that i should finally give Poke a serious try and i'm playing it. But i'm not really feeling it. It feels really archaic and cumbersome to play and i'm trying to avoid grinding with not much success. I'm at the first gym battle and the only strong enough Pokemon i have is Pikachu, which is literally useless in this particular battle. I feel like the only solution here is to grind heavily and i would rather avoid it :/

Bearing in mind that i like to follow a series through instead of jumping around back and forth, should i stick with it or should i really just skip it and what entry should i get instead? From what i gather, i have access to all the main entries on the 2DS, so should i just skip to the next game (Crystal) or skip to the DS or even to the 3DS ones?
Well it depends. Do you want to enjoy the series on a whole, learn every region, experience every story despite similarities, etc, or just collect, see if you're into it and then jump to Pokemon Switch? Cause I'll be honest, you are gonna need to take it slow if you want the whole package, maybe space out the games to not burn yourself out. Cause right now, if we are talking about the whole shebang, you have Platinum, HeartGold or SoulSilver, Black or White, Black 2 or White 2, X or Y, OmegaRuby or Alpha Sapphire, and Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon to get through. Gen 6 could be skipped if you prefer it, but even then ORAS is still a great experience. So yeah, 5-7 Pokemon games in a row is not healthy, and its honestly the bare minimum. If you jump straight to 3DS you will be turned off for sure, Gen 6 and 7 are not up there with stuff like HGSS or Gen 5 in total. QoL improvements are there, but they are inferior games in all other aspects.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Ice's problem is more that it doesn't work as a defensive type and most of the Pokemon are slow and bulky. Not to mention that most Water types get Ice Beam.

It's why Mamoswine and Weavile are the best Ice Pokemon.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should get a Mankey in the grass west of the first city to easily beat him. First gen (second a little bit too but the new types and pokemon really help) is really archaic and can be easily broken with some pokemon, but their remakes are better. Crystal is great but the DS remakes are much better (and also hella expensive nowadays).
As always newer gens are better in the gameplay department, although the newer gens have some slowdown during battles due to the 3d models being too good for 3ds.
However, the main question is why are you not enjoying the game. The gameplay has evolved byt if the thing putting you off is the turn base combat then we have an issue.
Edit: some of the hardest part when you are new to pokemon is knowin the type weaknesses. Sun/Moon tells you literally which attacks will be effective / neutral / weak against a pokemon you have already encoutnered so it helps a lot.

Oh i love turn based combat. That's one of the main appeals to me :)
I'm just having a hard time juggling their growth as you have to keep subbing them in for the experience, which gets kinda repetitive. Unless i'm doing something wrong here. I'm also having trouble identifying their weaknesses but that can be sorted out with a guide, if i really need to.

The archaic part part was regarding the menu stuff, but that can't be helped. It IS an old game after all.

Right now i'm just gonna follow your advice and look for Mankey (and this is the other thing that appeals to me, i love silly, punny names lol)

Well it depends. Do you want to enjoy the series on a whole, learn every region, experience every story despite similarities, etc, or just collect, see if you're into it and then jump to Pokemon Switch? Cause I'll be honest, you are gonna need to take it slow if you want the whole package, maybe space out the games to not burn yourself out. Cause right now, if we are talking about the whole shebang, you have Platinum, HeartGold or SoulSilver, Black or White, Black 2 or White 2, X or Y, OmegaRuby or Alpha Sapphire, and Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon to get through. Gen 6 could be skipped if you prefer it, but even then ORAS is still a great experience. So yeah, 5-7 Pokemon games in a row is not healthy, and its honestly the bare minimum. If you jump straight to 3DS you will be turned off for sure, Gen 6 and 7 are not up there with stuff like HGSS or Gen 5 in total. QoL improvements are there, but they are inferior games in all other aspects.

Yeah my intention is to go through the main entry each gen, just to enjoy the games themselves and see how the series has evolved throughout the years. The collecting is secondary and i don't care about the multiplayer aspect. Make a choice when there's 2 'main' ones. But i'm in no rush. I'm already late to the party as it is lol. I kinda already decided which ones i'm gonna play if i keep that intention up. Just gotta get over this initial hump.

Thanks to both of you :)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What would ya'll do to improve the worst types in the series: Bug, Ice, and Grass.
Ice doesnt work because they try to make it a tank when most good attacking types can wreck it. Let them go full glass/ice cannons and give them powerful attacks that are exclusive to ice pokemon. Ice beam being in almost all water pokes gives no reason to have a proper one.
Bug type is only weak because the main pokemon in the type are supposed to be weak insects. More pokemon like Heracross or interesting designs such as Volcarona help a lot.
Grass type isnt that weak, it just needs better second typings that are not poison.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oh i love turn based combat. That's one of the main appeals to me :)
I'm just having a hard time juggling their growth as you have to keep subbing them in for the experience, which gets kinda repetitive. Unless i'm doing something wrong here. I'm also having trouble identifying their weaknesses but that can be sorted out with a guide, if i really need to.

The archaic part part was regarding the menu stuff, but that can't be helped. It IS an old game after all.

Right now i'm just gonna follow your advice and look for Mankey (and this is the other thing that appeals to me, i love silly, punny names lol)

Yeah my intention is to go through the main entry each gen, just to enjoy the games themselves and see how the series has evolved throughout the years. The collecting is secondary and i don't care about the multiplayer aspect. Make a choice when there's 2 'main' ones. But i'm in no rush. I'm already late to the party as it is lol. I kinda already decided which ones i'm gonna play if i keep that intention up. Just gotta get over this initial hump.

Thanks to both of you :)
I wouldnt recomend going through all gens, it can get kind of tiring!
The main issue of the games is as you said juggling pokemon to get them to a correct lvl and in the case of the 1st gen, it is not easy to find places to grind or get money compared to later games. You only get exp all in gen 1 later on after at least the 2nd medal if i remember correctly and it can help a little bit.
About gen 3, it cant be played on 3ds, you can play ORAS that is gen 6 but located in that same region (but it will have more pokemon and mechanics introduced later on).

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Ice doesnt work because they try to make it a tank when most good attacking types can wreck it. Let them go full glass/ice cannons and give them powerful attacks that are exclusive to ice pokemon. Ice beam being in almost all water pokes gives no reason to have a proper one.
Bug type is only weak because the main pokemon in the type are supposed to be weak insects. More pokemon like Heracross or interesting designs such as Volcarona help a lot.
Grass type isnt that weak, it just needs better second typings that are not poison.

Grass is arguably the worst typing when it comes to type match-ups. Tied for most weaknesses, tied for most resisted offensively, and nothing to balance that in terms of super effective coverage or defensively. Yeah they wreck the water/ground types, but still.

Coupled with Gamefreak's seemingly strong hatred of Grass types with their lower stats than Fire or Water (which carries over to starters, ie Venusaur has a lower base stat total than Charizard and Blastoise, WHY???), the type has tons of issues just by virtue of existing. It's definitely frustrating given it's a starter type, should be better balanced.

And Grass/Poison is actually a pretty good type combo, especially for Grass.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt recomend going through all gens, it can get kind of tiring!
The main issue of the games is as you said juggling pokemon to get them to a correct lvl and in the case of the 1st gen, it is not easy to find places to grind or get money compared to later games. You only get exp all in gen 1 later on after at least the 2nd medal if i remember correctly and it can help a little bit.
About gen 3, it cant be played on 3ds, you can play ORAS that is gen 6 but located in that same region (but it will have more pokemon and mechanics introduced later on).

I've noticed that money is scarce, at least in the beginning. I don't even have enough for a pokeball right now, though i could sell a couple of potions.

I'll keep playing for now but i'm thinking that if it doesn't click i might just go for Crystal or even go straight to 4th Gen and keep going from there. Is Crystal a big step forward in relation to Yellow or would i be pretty much in the same place as i am now?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that money is scarce, at least in the beginning. I don't even have enough for a pokeball right now, though i could sell a couple of potions.

I'll keep playing for now but i'm thinking that if it doesn't click i might just go for Crystal or even go straight to 4th Gen and keep going from there. Is Crystal a big step forward in relation to Yellow or would i be pretty much in the same place as i am now?
Big step forwards, also much easier beginning. However, gen 4 also has the remake of it so it is hard to say anything.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, 1st and 2nd Gen are archaic, gen 2 (gold, silver, crystal) are less archaic and requires less grind, but it is still archaic. It's still one of the best in the series. Though, If you want, you should just probably jump into Gen 7 with USUM.

Or, jump into Gen 5! also best in the series there

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big step forwards, also much easier beginning. However, gen 4 also has the remake of it so it is hard to say anything.

Yeah, 1st and 2nd Gen are archaic, gen 2 (gold, silver, crystal) are less archaic and requires less grind, but it is still archaic. It's still one of the best in the series. Though, If you want, you should just probably jump into Gen 7 with USUM.

Or, jump into Gen 5! also best in the series there

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
What would ya'll do to improve the worst types in the series: Bug, Ice, and Grass.
I got you. I got you.

For Ice I'm going to turn it from a punk to a boss ass bitch.

First thing this type got way too many weaknesses and not enough resistances. Just against itself? It mind as well not have any resistances. Imma put Water on that shit and throw in Fairy too, shoot. So with Hail I'm going to also give Ice-Types increased Sp. Def while it's up. I'm going to give us some new Ice Pokemon with some good ass stats in speed, special attack, and attack.

Bug, they just need some stat boosts. They way too weak in general. I only really fuck with Volcarona and Heracross.

Grass, shit I don't know.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My gf has been playing Pokemon X for 2 days, her first Pokemon game, and found a Wild Shiny Luvdisc lol

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Grass is arguably the worst typing when it comes to type match-ups. Tied for most weaknesses, tied for most resisted offensively, and nothing to balance that in terms of super effective coverage or defensively. Yeah they wreck the water/ground types, but still.

Coupled with Gamefreak's seemingly strong hatred of Grass types with their lower stats than Fire or Water (which carries over to starters, ie Venusaur has a lower base stat total than Charizard and Blastoise, WHY???), the type has tons of issues just by virtue of existing. It's definitely frustrating given it's a starter type, should be better balanced.

And Grass/Poison is actually a pretty good type combo, especially for Grass.

Not to mention that they created Freeze-dry, which is basically a way way better tool to dispose of Water/ground types(and a lot of type mixing type pokemons, such as Water/Flying and Grass/Water).
Also, might as well remember that Grass/Poison was pretty bad in the past. The reason it is good now is because of a bunch of balancing through time and thanks to existence of Fairy types.
If anything I would buff Poison types because...well, even though they're super-effective and resist Fairy type no one actually chooses poison to counter Fairies simply because most of Poison type have mediocre defensive stats(bar some). Steel type pokemons are better suited for this task.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Not to mention that they created Freeze-dry, which is basically a way way better tool to dispose of Water/ground types(and a lot of type mixing type pokemons, such as Water/Flying and Grass/Water).
Also, might as well remember that Grass/Poison was pretty bad in the past. The reason it is good now is because of a bunch of balancing through time and thanks to existence of Fairy types.
If anything I would buff Poison types because...well, even though they're super-effective and resist Fairy type no one actually chooses poison to counter Fairies simply because most of Poison type have mediocre defensive stats(bar some). Steel type pokemons are better suited for this task.

Speaking of Fairy types, who the hell at Gamefreak thought "Fire types need ANOTHER resistance and Bug types need to be resisted some more". Grass types should've resisted Fairy tbh. Would've given grass types a needed resistance to balance them against a new, powerful type.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Speaking of Fairy types, who the hell at Gamefreak thought "Fire types need ANOTHER resistance and Bug types need to be resisted some more". Grass types should've resisted Fairy tbh. Would've given grass types a needed resistance to balance them against a new, powerful type.

Fire type is probably their favorite type. When it comes to balancing, they aways favor their favorites. Like, no one saw that Lucario would get a neat Meteor Mash, because pokemon company thinks "why the hell not?".

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Would this be the thread to trade Pokemon? If so, I have several Entei and Raikou codes from Target that I am open to trading. Looking for codes Regigigas or Heatran from March or Dialga or Palkia from February's giveaways.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Someone who realized Fire is weak to the three of the most common move types and only resisted one common move type before Fairy?

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 3 gifts from sadmachine!

This is a raffle that will expire in a day. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

t1525144025z0.png

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

Entei/Raikou NA Code -- GB-597cc03a-5ae3-421b-bad5-4d93e15a0160 - Won by OrangeAtlas
Entei/Raikou NA Code -- GB-63862572-4a81-490d-b586-fc752a9a89c6 - Won by gardfish
Entei/Raikou NA Code -- GB-a628c1bc-a495-4b2e-84f7-905fb32297a3 - Won by TheGreenArrow

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Heya, Pokemon community thread.

I have yet to play Gen VII. If I am only to play one, should I get Moon or Ultra Moon? Is it a case where the later one is clearly superior?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

I have yet to play Gen VII. If I am only to play one, should I get Moon or Ultra Moon? Is it a case where the later one is clearly superior?
While USUM are clearly better in most areas, I'm not particularly fond of what they did with the story. They took the focus off of one of the more interesting characters and replaced it with something that was... not as good.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
While USUM are clearly better in most areas, I'm not particularly fond of what they did with the story. They took the focus off of one of the more interesting characters and replaced it with something that was... not as good.

Agreed. The original games had a story that felt pretty cohesive, but the new ones story was kind of a mess. Its a no-brainer to get the ultra games if you just want mechanical improvements and more content, but if the story is important to you at all it kind of makes things difficult. I guess I would still reccomend the Ultra games in the end though because they are superior in most ways to the original games.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018

UM/US did nothing really surprising. They add a bunch of pokemon, but was nothing more than an obligation. Also minor changes in the flux of the battle(like how hp bar depletes, since it was stupid slow). The story is like most saying, not worth it.
If you are interested in the competitive stuff(move tutor and lazy eggmoves), perhaps this game is suited for you. In any other case, S/M should be enought for a Gen VII experience.
But in a honest opinion, you're nothing losing much going to GEN VII.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Ya'll are making this difficult.

I might just go for Moon then, because I enjoy the stories, simple as they are, and don't usually bother to get deep into the Pokemon customization.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
In my opinion, I think that Grass should be more of a better defensive type since it's by all accounts not so salvageable offensively, where they are resisted by seven types, and an ability even exists to nullify Grass damage. So for Grass, what I would do is:
- Remove Flying weakness. I think this is the one that would work well because Flying will still be a great offensive type, and I think that making it neutral will go a long way in making them better as a defensive type. I would have suggested removing an Ice weakness since Water-types having near universal access to it interferes with the type balance, unless they somehow make Ice attacks not that universal to Water-types anymore. I suggested Ice and Flying because it will give the remaining types more usefulness as an offensive counterplay for Grass-types, especially Bug and Poison.
- A new resistance would help Grass-types but I am not sure what the type goes to. It would probably go to Fairy resistance.
- Make Sap Sipper unable to block damage. I think Sap Sipper was introduced as a way to block Powder moves since they were problematic, but now that there Grass-type has immunity to it I think they can drop the immunity. After all, Justified didn't confer immunity to its choice type (Dark). I would be willing to accept the compromise of reducing half the damage if dropping the immunity is too much.

For Ice, I feel the even though the type is great offensively, the defensive side of things matters a bit more since they are historically less-used compared to many types, and I would say that Weavile is probably the most successful Ice-type since it's unlike most Ice-types where its Speed is very high (Mamoswine has Ground-type to help it). I think they could stand to resist one or two more types, and Flying or Ground would be decent candidates.

Bug I feel isn't that bad of a type. Sure they are resisted by many types, but at the same time they don't have many weaknesses and at times their type is helpful offensively. They just need more great Pokemon to do better overall.

Thank you for reading.

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum fans, help me out:

I got the game pre-owned, and there's a save file already on there which I can't bring myself to delete.

This works out because I only got the game as a trading tool for my launch copy of Soul Silver with about 400 hours logged, so now I don't have to play through the story.

It's so creepy and eerie playing through someone else's Pokemon adventure. I feel like Eleanor from The Good Place.

What I'm asking is, what am I missing?

I have tried the Elite 4 re-match once, and beat them (using a combination of my mons from Soul Silver plus the own game's team).

I'm re-matching the gym leaders (at least, that's who I think they are) in the bar.

Giratina has been caught - but I don't understand the side-quest in this game ie where is the Distortion World?

Can I get the D/P legendaries?

I can't work out the Poketch, I think I will mostly need it for the breeding "app" though.

I know about the Teach-Defog-to-Pokemon-here-before-Transfer-to-Gen-5 business, are there any other quirks such as this?

Mr Backlot's a blowhard.

Lastly, a minor gripe - the game doesn't make use of the bottom screen/touch functionality very much. This is annoying (very much so) when organising PC boxes. At least, it is for me coming from the Gen 2 remakes. And of course the later ones.

Empoleon, if you're wondering.

Thanks!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Platinum, I need to get back to the postgame. Also, can I transfer my team over to Pokebank?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Ya'll are making this difficult.

I might just go for Moon then, because I enjoy the stories, simple as they are, and don't usually bother to get deep into the Pokemon customization.

Ultras are what S/M should have been since the beginning. It's pretty much the same story + some differences, with a much better post game, legendaries, etc.

Go for USUM

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Insurgence has been going slow as shit for me sometimes. Can anybody recommend me another fan game or rom hack to play? I've played Pokemon Blaze Black 1 and 2, Storm Silver, and Prism.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just learned that shiny Celebi is legit through VC Crystal, and the novelty of having one of those is hard to resist for me...so against my better judgment, I'll be soft resetting the Celebi encounter for the foreseeable future.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well, I just learned that shiny Celebi is legit through VC Crystal, and the novelty of having one of those is hard to resist for me...so against my better judgment, I'll be soft resetting the Celebi encounter for the foreseeable future.

Damn @ that dedication. Good luck.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Is there a way to get the game to erase a certain move when changing forms? I learned Shock Wave for my Rotom and when I change its form it erases it so I'm stuck with plain old Thundershock.
I am not sure how what you described happened, but by right if you change appliance, the Rotom will learn the move like any Pokemon, which means if you have four moves already, you can choose a move to delete and replace. Also, if Rotom's only move is the exclusive type-based attack, it will be replaced with Thunder Shock were it to revert to its normal Ghost-type form.

Thank you for reading.

Oct 26, 2017

Just a heads up in case you'd happen to care about the rareness of a shiny you SR for. It is pretty trivial to use glitches to make any Pokemon shiny in gen 2(GS atleast, not so sure about C, but trading is possible). VC shinies will not be particularly rare or valuable.

Tarpii

Oct 26, 2017
My daughter and I are having a blast playing through Moon and Ultra Sun on the 3DS. I want to carry to carry on collecting and trading pokes in other games but not sure which game to move onto next, I guess it will be either ORAS or XY - any recommendations?

Also all our software is digital, will this hurt us in the long run for trading? As software is tied to my device and can't easily be swapped into another 3DS.. Help!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter and I are having a blast playing through Moon and Ultra Sun on the 3DS. I want to carry to carry on collecting and trading pokes in other games but not sure which game to move onto next, I guess it will be either ORAS or XY - any recommendations?

Also all our software is digital, will this hurt us in the long run for trading? As software is tied to my device and can't easily be swapped into another 3DS.. Help!
You can trade from the same gen and console by using the gts and putting the exact requirements you want and then accepting the trade. It can be pretty cumbersome. From different gens you need to have pokebank and that requires you to have the game you want to tke the pokemon from/to in the console so it being digital makes it easy.
About oras/xy, they are the previous gen and i would say worse than sun/moon. I would recommend oras between both of them, even more if you guys havent played the originals.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Just found my first ever shiny in 15 years of playing Pokemon on Crystal version. It was a geodude I couldn't catch because I hadn't even reached the first town. Fml lol. (The sprite sucked anyway)

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have an extra Raikou/Entei code they want to give to this poor, forgetful son of a bitch?

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Can someone help me beat the fire gym in Pokemon Zeta? I've been struggling with this for a while. It's the double battle with your rival. If my Rival chose 3 better pokemon I'd think I'd be straight, but none of his pokemon really consist of ones that beat fire except for Aggron, but his Aggron doesn't even use any Rock moves.

Here is my team:

Fw30rBQ.png

QptyIZX.png

TEieiN2.png

RoUDimh.png

exs4CmV.png

My sixth slot I'm not sure about. I usually have a Jirachi that's the same level as my Kingdra, but I put it back in the PC and I've been using a Hypno for this, but I'm not sure if that works. In that image my Rotom doesn't have Rain Dance, but I just took that pic from a previous save. I've taught it Rain dance for this fight, but didn't save the game after doing so in case someone here thinks I should give it to someone else. I've been stuck on this for a minute so all the help would be appreciated.