• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Brought to attention by the Out of Context Pokemon twitter account, I was reminded of these and these are some wholesome things that must be shared.

EdU9tCOWkAAPhFO
EdU9zhrWsAA8bZy
EdU961dXsAA40vH

EdU_3aYWAAENE5r
EdVCSGgXkAIAIGc

Plus two more examples folks have shared in the twitter thread as well. Any you remember you want to share? Now's the time to do so!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are the Char ones from the same set? I'd love to put those in a deck.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
1400_SP_006_813HIBANNY.png
1400_SP_007_810SARUNORI.png
1400_SP_008_816MESSON.png

I think these were part of a promotion or something.
Edit: I tried to find a image that puts the story in order, but every picture I see puts Grookey first. So I just changed the picture with the 3 cards.

Last edited:

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that like a lot about the TCG, though I wish it had more opportunities for emergent storytelling, something Fantasy Flight's LCGs do very well, as opposed to a specific narrative.

Didn't' they have at some point specific pokemon in the game that were named as being owned by specific gym leaders or something? I always thought that was cool.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is something that like a lot about the TCG, though I wish it had more opportunities for emergent storytelling, something Fantasy Flight's LCGs do very well, as opposed to a specific narrative.

Didn't' they have at some point specific pokemon in the game that were named as being owned by specific gym leaders or something? I always thought that was cool.

Yeah there was a whole Gym Leaders set that had character owned Pokemon. I'm trying to remember way back when, I think it was the fifth or sixth series released on the west? There was basic, jungle, fossil, rocket...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Tepig dad the OG charizard trainer?

You are correct! There was a whole expansion that focused on the Gym Leaders of gen 1, where you needed to pair them up with their corresponding evolution in order to make the most of them, but they also tended to have very powerful attacks and abilities going down that route, and I'm pretty sure almost all of them featured Sugimori's art.
Blaines-Arcanine.G2.1.png

Giovannis-Machamp.G2.6.png

Brocks-Ninetales.G2.3.png

(Zoroark before Zoroark!)
Sabrinas-Gengar.G2.29.png

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a manga in Japan that basically had this as the main idea...it gave back stories to Pokemon cards.

It's never been shown anywhere else but it have a backstory to Giovanni rescuing a Persian as a kid

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I learned about these from watching a video, but I can't remember which video it was. Did JWittz do a video on this?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at cards and forgot about the really crazy Delta Species subset where Pokemon were exposed to radiation causing them to be a completely different type

Grass Quagsire

431px-QuagsireEXDragonFrontiers21.jpg

Electric Tyranitar

TyranitarexEXDragonFrontiers99.jpg

Fire Gardevoir

GardevoirexEXDragonFrontiers93.jpg

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This just reminds me why I have always had a fondness for pokemon cards. I love the art so much. Pretty much have never played the card game itself.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Not a story so to speak, but I really liked the Southern Island set and how it took larger pieces of art and made them into cards

bdde80b05592573baa29a2dbc9739ead.jpg