• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You've instantly become one of my favorite mods just like that lol

Why thank you!

754516600966742137.gif

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can use that logic on bravely default 2, the new game in the octopath engine, or an 2d game. Take away the finer details and it can run in a 3ds. This was never supposed to look like a botw or odyssey. Look at how legends even looks. Not the greatest compared to the 2 games you just named and you can see the cut backs even in that game trailer. It's better the game looks like this then SwSh and run like complete ass. Like come on this is just crazy.
Some have and do use the argument for BD2, so I mean yeah lol. Other games looking low budget or simplistic doesn't make this look any less so.

And I could not disagree more on Legends. It's still over a year away and people can't stop talking on here and social media about how great it looks. It most definitely looks like those two, hell people keep calling it "Pokemon of the Wild." But I do agree completely on the point about this being better than SwSh-like though. I really disliked the idea of it being like those, especially with my problems with the wild area and the frame rate as you said.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as much as I hate let's go I think the reaction to this remake is crazy bad. But at least it wasn't this right?

I legit would've preferred this. First, because I doubt they would've made it as basic or as easy as LGPE, but also because LGPE is a legitimately gorgeous game and seeing Sinnoh recreated with those graphics would've been wonderful.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, given the phoned in nature of this, there won't be any Gen 5 and beyond 'mons? That alone is a shitty new precedent in the low bar nature from "modern TPC"

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
The overwhelming toxic negativity in this thread is staggering, and Twitter isn't much better.

You can be disappointed, but jesus christ some of the shit some of y'all are spouting...

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I think the problem for me is that I remember Diamond / Pearl / Platinum being the first Pokémon games that really started to feel like an "epic" adventure, for lack of a better word. They went for the opposite of epic here, and even though I know these games are ultimately meant to be marketed to kids, that still hurts to see. I know character models don't make or break a game, but when the overall style is just aiming for cute... IDK. I'm bummed. I expected Let's Go graphics to try and prevent disappointment, but I think Let's Go looks 10x better. Meh. I'll still buy and enjoy them.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Upon further inspection the studio making this worked on Yakuza 0 and Dragon Quest XI, two of my favourite games ever, so I'm cautiously optimistic - art style is eh but tell me more about what's actually in the game

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some have and do use the argument for BD2, so I mean yeah lol. Other games looking low budget or simplistic doesn't make this look any less so.

And I could not disagree more on Legends. It's still over a year away and people can't stop talking on here and social media about how great it looks. It most definitely looks like those two, hell people keep calling it "Pokemon of the Wild." But I do agree completely on the point about this being better than SwSh-like though. I really disliked the idea of it being like those, especially with my problems with the wild area and the frame rate as you said.
It's still over a year away and pokemon more than 5 feet will be animated at 10fps, draw distract will be a little better , and if it has online like the wild area in SwSh all those little improvements will be gone. Now I'm still excited about legends let's not get the wrong idea here but that game looks like botw for pokemon from a distance but the finer details that I have mentioned before it is nothing like botw. I can look at botw and see a beautiful game from the blades of grass moving from the wind. Legends you are not gonna fully get that. You will have patches but botw still looks better graphically than legends. But again that doesn't take away from the fact I'm still excited about it because there are so many other things about it I'm excited for. Just like how this remake is exactly what I wanted a 1:1 remake and has a good art style to it. I would probably be disappointed if they did what they did to 3rd gen remakes. Which I didn't really care for.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Wooow. Out of all the worst case scenarios I imagined for the remakes, this probably takes the cake. Never imagined it'd look this bad. Don't think they could've chosen a worse art style. People have posted gifs comparing to the originals, ORAS, LGPE and it just looks so janky. Let's Go art style was already Chibi, if they'd just gone with that it would've looked so much better than this. Actually just looks like a low budget mobile game :(.

Buut I'm still going to buy it and enjoy it because it's Pokémon, and I hate the fact I'll still support TPC no matter what they do.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Graphical changes aside (which I personally like, btw) I don't get the complaints. Everyone usually complains when changes are made to their beloved classic games, Game Freak decides to do a "faithful remake" and everyone is complaining that their may not be changes?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I like the chibi design, but they should have gone all in. Regular models for battles seems very weird.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
The overwhelming toxic negativity in this thread is staggering, and Twitter isn't much better.

You can be disappointed, but jesus christ some of the shit some of y'all are spouting...
Don't let it bother you. There's a lot of us that's still excited and cautiously optimistic about the game lol I really want the OT

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I doubt this is entirely a whole remake with no new content. Previous remakes always have new content. Dialga and Palkia forms will probably connect to the story we are getting with the Arceus game and Arceus will be integrated into the lore in the remakes to get people excited more. I imagine the post game will be different and we will still get battle frontier.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So whats the general thoughts on this since its more of a remake then the past ones they cant possibly go back to HMs can they? HMs were so bad in D/P its why I never finished it.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Upon further inspection the studio making this worked on Yakuza 0 and Dragon Quest XI, two of my favourite games ever, so I'm cautiously optimistic - art style is eh but tell me more about what's actually in the game

Well, not much more than what is in the original games, that's for sure.

I wonder if we'll get at least the 493 Pokémon from those games. Not every Gen IV was part of Sinnoh Pokédex, so unless they decide to change that to include them, they will have to implement the National Pokédex that was part of the post-game. Because there's also non-Sinnoh Dex Pokémon that appear in the post game, so how they will be included?

But it's so sad to think that even expecting 493 Pokémon in this game is having unrealistic expectations. I'm really not holding my breath

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Graphical changes aside (which I personally like, btw) I don't get the complaints. Everyone usually complains when changes are made to their beloved classic games, Game Freak decides to do a "faithful remake" and everyone is complaining that their may not be changes?

Maybe because while they decided to do the "faithful remake," the execution is horrendously poor to many of us lol? MySims ass looking game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, given the phoned in nature of this, there won't be any Gen 5 and beyond 'mons? That alone is a shitty new precedent in the low bar nature from "modern TPC"
??? Unless it's post-game content, remakes don't add Pokemon beyond their original games unless those Pokemon are evolutions or pre-evolutions added in a later generation. IIRC, ORAS was the only remake that did this for the main game. The other remakes had later generation Pokemon in the post-game, such as FRLG's Sevii Islands.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Well, not much more than what is in the original games, that's for sure.

I wonder if we'll get at least the 493 Pokémon from those games. Not every Gen IV was part of Sinnoh Pokédex, so unless they decide to change that to include them, they will have to implement the National Pokédex that was part of the post-game. Because there's also non-Sinnoh Dex Pokémon that appear in the post game, so how they will be included?

But it's so sad to think that even expecting 493 Pokémon in this game is having unrealistic expectations. I'm really not holding my breath

I reckon they'll just let these two games have the Sinnoh dex and thats it. Send to home for your full dex.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Japanese Twitter likes it. I like it too, it was different than I imagined they would make it, but looks like it will be a nice trip down memory lane.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they went out of their way to make this look like, well, this. It's like a poor imitation of the Link's Awakening Remake art style.

At least it doesn't look like Legends which seems to just be on the constant verge of death because of the Switch's weak hardware?

edit: To be more specific, I only its the overworld aspects that look like the poor imitation. In-battle looks fine.

Oct 27, 2017
At least it doesn't look like Legends which seems to just be on the constant verge of death because of the Switch's weak hardware?

I don't understand why these comments have been popping up so much. Since when was Switch HW strengh based on how Pokemon games performed? Have some of you never seen or played a Switch game before??

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
There's a big difference between developing a game themselves and being one of 50+ outsource studios that ended up contributing to a game. Same reason why TOSE has contributed to a ton of great games but the ones developed by TOSE themselves generally don't turn out too well.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I've slept on it and I still think the following:

- It's hilarious that this is being compared favourably to Link's Awakening
- It's hilarious that Let's Go is still the best looking Pokemon RPG on the Switch

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are doing Animal Crossing dirty. It has a very distinctive and recognizable art style that fit the game well. These games look like an indie devs first attempt at 3D

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I can't help but think this is much a step down in art direction as ff6 mobile remake was from the original. Maybe more. I love gen 4 but I'm going to have to pass on this unless there's a ton of new content.

I really wish they'd done it in a similar style to ORAS or just ported the original games to switch somehow.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why these comments have been popping up so much. Since when was Switch HW strengh based on how Pokemon games performed? Have some of you never seen or played a Switch game before??
The trailer basically shows the game struggling to run on top of being super jaggy and it kinda just comes off as the game wanting more than the hardware is capable of.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Imagine looking at those AC screenshots (oh, god, the windows on the inside of the shop! The low-res item sprites!) and thinking BDSP is about the same in visual quality.

They have similar chibi art styles. That's not the same thing as having similar graphical fidelity.
I think this is a joke, but given the hyperbole here I'm not really sure about anything.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I don't understand why they went out of their way to make this look like, well, this. It's like a poor imitation of the Link's Awakening Remake art style.

edit: To be more specific, I only its the overworld aspects that look like the poor imitation. In-battle looks fine.

It feels more like a remaster, which I don't think anyone really needed.

It reminds me of that retro level they did for CTR Nitro Fueled that imitates the appearance of the PS1 game, with the polygons and such
maxresdefault.jpg

there's even retro skins for Crash, Coco and Cortex
unnamed-file-15.jpg

it's ok as a throwback to have this wink to the original games, but it would've been wild if the entire remaster was done in this style just to be faithful to the original and aim to nostalgia, like, what would've been even the point to bring that to the PS4?

I feel the same with these games, like, why do I want a game on the Switch that feels the same and looks almost the same as the DS, when they've already showed us with SwSh or even Let's Go that we can have better things.

Like, Diamond and Pearl didn't look like that because it was an stylistic choice, but because of the limitations of having a game like that, with everything the Pokémon games implied, the 493 Pokémon, alternate forms, the moves, the connectivity, etc. If the original official artwork showed the trainers looking like chibi characters, then we would've known it was on purpose, but it wasn't, so I find out of place trying to replicate that whole aesthetics 15 years later. Like, why lol I'll never understand how they even came to that resolution.

Last edited: