• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Seems fun. It needs the Platinum content at the very least, because the D/P regional dex is hilariously bad.
Just give me Platinum split into 2 versions like how Crystal was split into 2 versions with HG/SS, get rid of HMs, add some new stuff, and I'm good.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I will purchase and enjoy this game. I have a lot of nostalgia for Diamond/Pearl and am excited to revisit them.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Surprised at the negative reaction. I thought it looked cute and faithful to the original.

That's one of my issues with it haha. It's too faithful. It's basically DP on the DS, but in 3D on the Switch (well, more 3D since the world was already 3D in the originals). To the point where it's basically unnecessary to even bother making it.

I would have been more into it had it at least looked more modern, say like the Link's Awakening remake, but even then I still would have been slightly disappointed. The other remakes have always felt like they belonged to their respective generations, like ORAS looking like XY. So it's weird to me that DP looks like...DP.

It's great for those that wanted that. Similar to FFVII Ever Crisis in some ways. But I was really looking forward to seeing Sinnoh in a whole new light. I guess I got that with Legends, but you know what I mean :P

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Surprised at the negative reaction. I thought it looked cute and faithful to the original.
It's a remake of the worst mainline entries in the series that's going to be "faithful", to the game's detriment, and it looks like a poor man's Link's Awakening remake.

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what yall expected when the leak said similar graphics to sword and shield lol

In what world is this:

pkshield_02.jpg

similar to this:

diamond-and-pearl-remakes-1200x900.png

Like did you think this through or did you just want to shitpost?

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
That's one of my issues with it haha. It's too faithful. It's basically DP on the DS, but in 3D on the Switch (well, more 3D since the world was already 3D in the originals). To the point where it's basically unnecessary to even bother making it.

I would have been more into it had it at least looked more modern, say like the Link's Awakening remake, but even then I still would have been slightly disappointed. The other remakes have always felt like they belonged to their respective generations, like ORAS looking like XY. So it's weird to me that DP looks like...DP.

It's great for those that wanted that. Similar to FFVII Ever Crisis in some ways. But I was really looking forward to seeing Sinnoh in a whole new light. I guess I got that with Legends, but you know what I mean :P

This is also how I feel. I think there's so much potential to remix and reimagine the games and regions of Pokémon. So, to get something that is just so faithful to the original is...boring, at least for me.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Reverse psychology, making people wish for a return to sword/shield and Let's Go, TPC are geniuses.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
What they're doing makes sense. The remakes will always be faithful and adhere to the grid and that would look kinda awful in Sword and Shield style. Even Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby stuck to the grid and had a stylized look. To advance the visuals the way some fans want would require redesigning the maps entirely to be more natural, so they've compromised and made 2 games: a faithful stylized remake and a new game with a new map set in the same region.

Last edited:

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I mean ORAS looked largely similar to the GBA games, keeping the chibi-ish overworld and clunky map layout. I loved it there and I love it here 🤷🏻‍♀️ looks good. I'm in.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
What they're doing makes sense. The remakes will always be faithful and adhere to the grid and that would look kinda awful in Sword and Shield style. Even Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby stuck to the grid and had a stylized look instead of being like Sun and Moon. To advance the visuals the way some fans want would require redesigning the maps entirely to be more natural, so they've compromised and made 2 games: a faithful stylized remake and a new game with a new map set in the same region.
ORAS released before Sun and Moon not after

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Man... i was really hoping for remakes more to my taste, since i fell of hard at that point and gen 4 is the only one im missing...
but i would rather play emerald than that. Oh lets look up the used priced for platin... oh...ooooh... 40€+.... T_T

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This looks like a good faithful remake. The problems are 1. $60 and 2. Platinum exists, which is a top 3 Pokemon game of all time, arguably the best.

I like the artstyle, save for the chibi models but I think, the original still looks better

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What they're doing makes sense. The remakes will always be faithful and adhere to the grid
Counter-point:
pokemon_fire_red_leaf_green_main_169.jpg

pokemon-heartgold-soulsilver.original.jpg

pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire.jpg

The last three remakes deviated in ways that were certainly not 100% faithful to the original games (see: Having to fight Lugia before you can take on the Elite 4 in HG/SS), for better or worse.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Looks fine, but I want to know about content. If it's just a straight 1:1 remake of Diamond and Pearl, I'm not buying

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair it looks better in this screenshot vs the field/trees one everyone is tossing around.

I like the look of the game as a whole but the appearance and animation of the overworld character models still throws me off... I prefer the execution of the chibi models in XY/ORAS and think it would've translated well to HD with cel-shading.
759.gif

diamond-and-pearl-remakes-1200x900.png

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A locked Dex would be the nail in the coffin for me on this. No exceptions. I don't understand why they don't double down on what made HGSS so great - content and variety. This needs to include Platinum content and ideally the entire Pokémon roster. What's the excuse now when this game could run on a 3DS?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Counter-point:
pokemon_fire_red_leaf_green_main_169.jpg

pokemon-heartgold-soulsilver.original.jpg

pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire.jpg

The last three remakes deviated in ways that were certainly not 100% faithful to the original games (see: Having to fight Lugia before you can take on the Elite 4 in HG/SS), for better or worse.
We don't know yet that Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl won't deviate in similar ways, right? It could still be a possibility I think.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A locked Dex would be the nail in the coffin for me on this. No exceptions. I don't understand why they don't double down on what made HGSS so great - content and variety. This needs to include Platinum content and ideally the entire Pokémon roster. What's the excuse now when this game could run on a 3DS?

It's being developed by the Pokémon Home people so I have to imagine you'll be able to use that in conjunction with it. The question is when it'll be unlocked, and if they'll fill in the rest of the gaps left by Sword/Shield (I imagine so if making Camp animations isn't a concern).

To be fair it looks better in this screenshot vs the field/trees one everyone is tossing around.

Yeah I think the time of day will play a major part in how the game looks, I really like these vibes. A general sweep of lighting changes would go a long way.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what the overworld models remind me of most are those redrawn sprites for the FF mobile ports, only pulled into 3D

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
It is definitely interesting to think of both these remakes and Pokémon Legends hand in hand. They do seem like two signs of the same coin, IMO.

Ultra conservative (based on what we've seensp far) remakes on one hand that hew very closely to the original games.

And a wholly original take on Sinnoh that also seems to iterate on some of the newest ideas in the series, like an open world.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

To summarize years of complaints, the problem people have with Masuda is that instead of doing some market analysis he just covers his ears, jumps to conclusions (as you saw on those links about the dumbing down of the games) and pretends he's 100% on the right.

Literally any other dev house worth their shit would look at 4th's generation very real problem "kids are getting lost in the overworld and the dungeons are too confusing" and after some analysis they would quickly reach the conclusion that they need to add something like a mission pointer in the world map indicating the next point of interest to make the story advance and implement a self-filling minimap for dungeons so the player can quickly see which places have been explored, which places are yet to be reached and how all floors relate to one another (you know, like we used to get in most games with dungeons back in those days!).

However, in Game Freak's bizarro world instead of doing any analysis they instantly jump to the conclusion that kids are dumb, that they prefer mobile games that play themselves, and that why bother implementing a minimap when you can just turn exploration into a literal straight line and dungeons into a literal corridor with a couple of detours ending in a dead end with a chest (literally the 5th and 6th gen in a nutshell). The very same kids that, by the time ORAS was released were playing complex games like Minecraft or Fortnite just fine. But they got stuck on the idea that kids were too absorbed by mobile games and kept dumbing the whole thing down instead of analysing the real reason why a good chunk of the players dropped the game after the second gym, which back then anybody around an elementary school kid could immediately notice: constant walls of text and constantly wrestling control out of your hands not even letting you try to explore on your own terms.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
When the leak said "weird chibi art style", I really didn't think it was going to look this weird. I appreciate the work that went into faithfully recreating the original titles at the exact same scale as the original, but trying to make 3D character models with the proportions of sprites was not a great idea. They look worse than the sprites did, and being locked into the same perspective and restrictions as the sprites means there's no real advantage to them being 3D models either. At most they enable non-grid-based movement, but that's possible with sprites as well, and the world's still completely designed around a grid.

The original games used sprites against a 3D environment for the most part, and I think that style has aged well enough to be used in the remakes. Look at Octopath or Triangle Strategy for contemporary uses of that style. Alternately—and I can't believe I'm saying this—the design of the character models from XY would have been a better fit for a grid-based world with open movement.

Or, if these are really just the exact same games with no major alterations as the trailer seemed to imply, they could have just ported the games Virtual Console-style with some modifications, like they did with the first two generations on the 3DS. But perhaps they have some tricks up their sleeves still to be revealed.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I'm really glad that they are going for something close to a 1:1 remake with updated graphics, that's what I was hoping for.

As long as platinum content is in and I'm allowed to turn off expshare, that's a day1 for me. (and please add some difficulty options this time.. please)

The only thing I dislike so far are the names. Talk about a missed opportunity of not going with Crazy Diamond.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Idk I don't think it looks all that bad... it's not amazing but I'm sure it will be a fun way to replay these games. I'm excited anyway.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To summarize years of complaints, the problem people have with Masuda is that instead of doing some market analysis he just covers his ears, jumps to conclusions (as you saw on those links about the dumbing down of the games) and pretends he's 100% on the right.

Literally any other dev house worth their shit would look at 4th's generation very real problem "kids are getting lost in the overworld and the dungeons are too confusing" and after some analysis they would quickly reach the conclusion that they need to add something like a mission pointer in the world map indicating the next point of interest to make the story advance and implement a self-filling minimap for dungeons so the player can quickly see which places have been explored, which places are yet to be reached and how all floors relate to one another (you know, like we used to get in most games with dungeons back in those days!).

However, in Game Freak's bizarro world instead of doing any analysis they instantly jump to the conclusion that kids are dumb, that they prefer mobile games that play themselves, and that why bother implementing a minimap when you can just turn exploration into a literal straight line and dungeons into a literal corridor with a couple of detours ending in a dead end with a chest (literally the 5th and 6th gen in a nutshell). The very same kids that, by the time ORAS was released were playing complex games like Minecraft or Fortnite just fine. But they got stuck on the idea that kids were too absorbed by mobile games and kept dumbing the whole thing down instead of analysing the real reason why a good chunk of the players dropped the game after the second gym, which back then anybody around an elementary school kid could immediately notice: constant walls of text and constantly wrestling control out of your hands not even letting you try to explore on your own terms.
Masuda: