• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good imo. Definitely going for a 1:1 remake here, and I love that it's emulating Link Between Worlds. I've always wondered what a Pokemon game would look like replicating that style and now I have my answer lol.

Getting this and Legends for sure.

Especially Legends.

Holy shit that looks awesome.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
For people making fun of the names, "brilliant" is a type of gemstone cut -- it's not a stupid as it sounds.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Porygon was in the trailer & they're not in the base Diamond/Pearl games
At the bare minimum it's going to include the likes of Porygon and Tangela so that you can get their fourth gen evolutions without needing Pokemon Home.

I wouldn't expect any more than said bare minimum until it is explicitly confirmed.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
I'll take a "faithful" (aka, conservative) remake if it means we get VS Seeker back!!

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
After a whole year of constantly shitting on Gen 8, let me ask you: Would you REALLY want a Gen 8 based DPP remake?

Personally I love Gen 8. I was looking forward to more of the linear routes we got in SwSh only D/P's incredible map remodeled and crossing my fingers for Wild Area Mt. Coronet. ORAS gave us Gen 3 Megas too, I'd also been looking forward to Gen 4 GMax, raid battles etc.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
There were plenty of improvements from Emerald that made it into ORAS, The Trainer Rematches, Story matches with Multibattles were added from Emerald, free Johto Starter, Latios/Latias were added... There's a whole lot of Emerald Content that was put into those that you're just ignoring.

I'm not ignoring them, all of the stuff you listed are not necessarily Emerald exclusive. Which is why I was focusing on the main content that IS Emerald exclusive. Trainer rematches were selective in RS, also it's hard to say that double battles are Emerald when it's been adopted as the franchise's main meta game format since. If anything it'd be strange if it was cut out. Free Johto starter is kind of irrelevant when ORAS has connectivity to Pokémon Bank and GTS (the whole reason we had this in Emerald was bc of the fact that the GBA games migrated from DV to IV system, thus breaking compatibility with previous games). Latios and Latias is not an Emerald thing since you can catch them in RS, but what was the difference is more accessible way to get the Eon Ticket to catch the other one.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know too much about Masuda, can you tell me what is wrong with him?
Gamespot: Pokemon Director Explains Why Series is Becoming Easier
We recently caught up with Masuda to talk about the Pokemon series, and we asked him for his thoughts regarding why recent games have made things easier for players.

"Rather than any actual feedback from players, it's more accepting the realities of modern life," he said. "Kids these days or even people who grew up playing Pokemon--everyone is a lot more busy. There are a lot more things competing for a person's time than there were back then. For example, there are so many free games you can play on your phone now, there's so many entertainment options, so making it a little easier to play is the reason for that."

Eurogamer: Junichi Masuda on Pokémon Let's Go's difficulty, mechanics, and the series' future
So when we tried to think about how kids these days generally play games, what came to mind was mobile games really. Games which you play for a short time, and perhaps you'll be moving between various games pretty quickly, so if it was a game that kind of takes about two hours to get into, we thought that perhaps people might get a bit bored and then decide to move on to a different game. So back in the day, even playing in the virtual console version of the original Pikachu version, it might take you know thirty hours, forty hours to kind of complete, or progress significantly in the game. And in this age with so many games to choose from, we thought that we'd rather make something that was easier to progress through, and kind of tailor that playstyle to how we think that the playstyle has evolved over the years and how children are playing games now.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
hmmmm I guess I'm in the minority here where I actually think this looks fine. Can't say that this is the art style I wanted them to go with per say (would have definitely been happier if it looked more like but I don't dislike it either. It does seem like it's a pretty 1:1 remake of D/P which is kinda disappointing, but as the same time the nostalgia for gen 4 for me is strong so I'm sure I'll still have a great time with it even if that's the case.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Looks as uninspiring as it could possibly be.

Now off to break a new sales record so GF can keep on not caring.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm not ignoring them, all of the stuff you listed are not necessarily Emerald exclusive. Which is why I was focusing on the main content that IS Emerald exclusive. Trainer rematches were selective in RS, also it's hard to say that double battles are Emerald when it's been adopted as the franchise's main meta game format since. If anything it'd be strange if it was cut out. Free Johto starter is kind of irrelevant when ORAS has connectivity to Pokémon Bank and GTS (the whole reason we had this in Emerald was bc of the fact that the GBA games migrated from DV to IV system, thus breaking compatibility with previous games). Latios and Latias is not an Emerald thing since you can catch them in RS, but what was the difference is more accessible way to get the Eon Ticket to catch the other one.
The double battles against the Team Magma/Aqua leaders with Stephen was distinctly in Emerald and not in RS. the GTS doesn't invalidate the johto starters, and if it does, it invalidates the lack of the other title legendary.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cool this is getting an updated version, but probably a pass for me. I played the original in 2007 and while I remember enjoying my time with the game, it's not something I feel compelled to revisit anytime soon. Also not really a fan of chibi art styles, so that doesn't do a whole lot for me. If they announce some interesting new features/additions to the game then I'll reevaluate if I want to play it. But for now, this sounds like it probably isn't for me, and that's fine.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Porygon was in the trailer & they're not in the base Diamond/Pearl games
Not in the D/P regional dex, but they can appear in Backlot's Trophy Garden once you have the National Dex.
A lot of additions that Platinum made to the dex were in Diamond and Pearl, they just weren't obtainable until post game for some reason. points at avatar

Last edited:

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
If this was the primary representation for Pokemon this year I'd be disappointed, but seeing as it compliments Legends, I'm really excited. I really dig the contrasting graphic styles between the DP and Legends games. Maybe they will release a Legends game alongside its respective remake for years to come(for instance Pokemon Legends Kyogre alongside Ruby/Sapphire remake). All in all, I'm very excited to play an open world take on my favorite Gen as well as the remake to my favorite games.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Surprised at the negative reaction. I thought it looked cute and faithful to the original.
I'm stoked that it's faithful to the original. I understand people not liking the art style and I think that's it's valid not to like a specific art direction but I'm surprised at the extent of how much people hate it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good imo. Definitely going for a 1:1 remake here, and I love that it's emulating Link Between Worlds. I've always wondered what a Pokemon game would look like replicating that style and now I have my answer lol.

Getting this and Legends for sure.

Especially Legends.

Holy shit that looks awesome.

Yeah, it surprised me browsing through the last couple pages and seeing all this talk about LA...but it 100% made me think of ALBW. Mostly in the sense that the look threw a bunch of people off, and in the final result, ended up working out quite well.

Something ALBW had, though, that I'm not sure this game will, is polish. Like, ALBW being 60fps and just so damn fluid brought out the best of its aesthetic. Who knows if BD/SP will even be a stable 30fps.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing quite a few people like the art style on Twitter and in their reaction videos, so it's not universally hated.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm glad they didnt use the SwSh engine. The trailer doesn't look all that great (couldve definitely benefitted from better art direction and some work on the chibi character models) but the 1:1 translation is a big win, in my book. Just good old fashioned pokemon adventure.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at the negative reaction. I thought it looked cute and faithful to the original.
That's actually part of the problem. There's absolutely no art direction involved beyond "just recreate these old-as-shit 16x16 sprites in 3D". After seeing what they could do with HGSS, they've been actually devolving. At this rate the 5th gen remake is going to be the original game thrown into an open source emulator and call it a day.

Darkline

Jul 1, 2019
ldn
Apparently one of these npc's was Platinum only.. good sign if so

EvLIWURXMAM-Lpx

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Still really down on this game, which is a huge shame as Gen IV is my favourite generation and Sinnoh is my favourite region. I actually don't mind the decision to do a 2.5D 1-for-1 remake of the originals, mainly because I think what makes Sinnoh shine is the route and dungeon design which I'm not convinced would translate well to 3D. However, I loathe the art direction. It looks cheap and ugly, and I'm talking about both the overworld and in-battle scenes here. I really don't like the chibi style, I think it makes the characters look really stupid and awkward and is a huge downgrade on the originals. As for the in-battle stuff, it just looks so low texture and flat compared to what's come before it. I don't understand how it somehow manages to even look worse than LGPE.

However, my biggest concern with the games at this point in time is how close they're going to be to direct remakes. Platinum improves so much of what Diamond and Pearl built it would be a much worse experience to lose all that. The fact they've not redesigned any of the characters, as they've done in every other remakes so far, is a huge red flag to me.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I don't know why they're saying this is preserving the original style of the games. It looks much worse and way cheaper than the original's fantastic sprites.

Not surprised in the slightest they're botching it up, though. The first ten minutes was basically a shareholder presentation saying "we can make anything with Pokemon in it and be massively successful."

This ain't it.

Please stop remaking tilesets. That's not why people loved these games.
Exactly. I played over 300 hours of Diamond as a kid and when I thought of these games in true 3D it was not a 1-1 mobile game style reskin. Link's Awakening at least tried to make an interesting aesthetic, this just looks awful.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
So I watched the trailer again and honestly guys don't expect platinum content. The words used in the trailers like original games story, faithful and original somewhere else again makes me doubt we will get platinums content

Jan 7, 2018
Game looked good to me. I get it that people wanted to see it in a new, more modern style, but IMO that's why we're getting the Pokemon Arceus game for. I'm pretty happy with what was showed today, with one game seeming to be more original, and the remake seeming to be more faithful to the orginal.

Oct 26, 2017
The double battles against the Team Magma/Aqua leaders with Stephen was distinctly in Emerald and not in RS. the GTS doesn't invalidate the johto starters, and if it does, it invalidates the lack of the other title legendary.

The double battles you mention is specifically related to the plot of Emerald though (which is what I was mentioning before. I had interpreted double battles to mean the feature in its entirety), and could not be possible with how RS framed the bad teams with their storyline (not to mention, the way Emerald changed the 8th gym leader + champion, and treating Steven as the "Red" of Hoenn).
You missed the point I was making with the Johto starters. They existed as a reward and to help bridge compatibility after the drastic changes in the system meant that a lot of non-Gen III were not in the RSE games. I would argue the same for the archaic two-game "mascot legendary" system too, considering how common they are whether it's from GTS or from previous games in the series (for instance, I can catch Groudon and Kyogre in HGSS/Emerald and transfer the opposite one onto ORAS. If not that, then there were myriad of events released for it).

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Thankfully I still own my DS and my gen 4 games.

Edit: I'm mainly annoyed because these games looks worse than the originals. Pokémon just hasn't handled the transition to 3D well at all.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I'm honestly surprised by some of the positive reactions. These remakes are really a step down from the reimaginings we've seen FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS do with their source material. I loved ORAS for going back and changing previous characters to be POC and it doesn't look like we're going to see things of that nature here with BDSP. Doesn't look like we'll see any Gmax or Megas either. It's already been said but the mobile game chibi artstyle is trash too.