• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
If you see the image below without any context, what would be your honest opinion about it? That it looks like a modern game? I can't imagine many would think it looks good -- in fact, I'd say it cheapens out whatever product they are releasing, especially one that has been highly awaited. And thus a harsh reception is not surprising.

9alaK8s.jpg

That it looks good? The only real issue there is Barry's model that need some details worked out. Same with Dawn's (face look a tad unnatural) and Lucas' (model feels too plastic-y). Though in the battle with the camper it looks a lot better. The only major issue I could call it out is with the overworld, and how some of the characters feel like they don't fit in, like Lucas when Dawn is arriving to Jubilife.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a meme somewhere in here about LGPE resenting how people trashed it when it released and are now missing it.
I honestly think time will be kind to LGPE. People were scared it was going to cause the permanent removal of series mechanics or turn the entire series into Pokemon Go. Now that we've moved on and those fears have calmed, I expect over time it will be remembered more fondly for the experiment it was and some of the good things it added. Not everyone is a fan regardless but I predict you will see less hate for it in the future.

I think you can even find some LGPE DNA in Legends Arceus. The confidence to try another experiment, all overworld pokemon, the option to catch without a battle. LGPE opened the door, SWSH peeked inside with its wilds area, and now Legends walks through it.

That's appreciated, but I honestly believe Sinnoh's visuals look just as fine as LGPE's, at least per the screenshots you've selected.
I am glad and I hope it includes all the features you desire as well

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The lighting, texturing, and models are horrible compared to Link's Awakening, but that's not too surprising considering this studio has never made a game by themselves before and considering Pokemon has always struggled in terms of production values.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
these are remakes because they're not using the assets of the DS games. they've recreated everything. surely you know what a port means? a port means taking a game and making it run on another hardware, which clearly isn't the case here.

Yes, i know the difference. I just never even seen original games on videos or images so I couldnt compare. I read a lot about them and always hoped for remakes so I dont know how to look at all this dissapointed stuff in this thread. And thanks to all others for replies.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
What WERE people expecting? I want to hear a serious answer to this. Because all I remember regarding talk around remakes were sentiments about how the series was better in 2D and how Diamond and Pearl were at the peak of the franchise. But now that it's not in a 3D overworld and it looks like a faith D/P remake suddenly that's a problem. This isn't analogous at all to getting a burnt steak, its more analogous to ordering "steak" and getting upset at receiving a "ribeye" instead of a "new york strip".

This is so reductive. You're saying you can't conceive that there are good looking 2D games, and ass looking 2D games?

Some people (not me, btw) missed the 2D Pokémon days precisely because they thought the 3D games never managed to look good, so it was preferable that they would go back to the 2D style because that looked great, not just because it's 2D. If they went back to 2D to make it look as bad as this, it's obvious that people are going to complain.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The main problem I see is lack of detail. Chibi look and classic camera are OK, but they need to upgrade the lighting engine so the trainers and Pokemon don't look REALLY simplistic and flat, and should add more details to everything.

Being optimistic, the game looks fluid and playable at the moment, so if they take another 7-9 months and focus on making everything prettier, it can be a good remake.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I meant more that the switch to HD has encouraged their character designers to feel like they need to make every NPC a ridiculous caricature with appendage-hair. Exhibit B:

Sword_Shield_Piers.png

Some of Diamond/Pearl's gym leaders are silly looking but they aren't this level of mess.
LOL what? Piers is awesome. He's a glam rock star, he's meant to look ridiculous and over the top.

Sword and Shield probably has the best NPC design in the series. The weird sword and shield brothers are like the only exception to that.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Pokémon games have never been a looker, but that looks really, really rough. Ugh. I much preferred Let's Go Evoli/Pikachu to this style. If this is what "continue to challenge ourselves" means, then it can't mean much challenge.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Are the pokemon game developers the only group of people on Earth that don't know they have one of the biggest IPs in the world or what? Like, what is the reasoning process for limiting your game's appeal like this? Do they get limited budgets despite selling millions of games every year? Are they somehow afraid that big changes will hurt their over 2 decades established franchise?
It's so fascinating to look at.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the second time in a Pokémon thread that someone has told me there's such a thing as having too much content in a game and I just don't understand it. We're not talking about things that would result in a bloated campaign here, either. We're talking about features that are in many cases optional and add to the games. It's not like the base Sword and Shield games are brimming with things to do.

This also goes into the discussion about Platinum content. With the remakes, I just don't see an argument for not including content that was already added on to their third versions.

Think of a Ubisoft game like Assassin's Creed Valhalla or even a R* game.

Those games are bursting at the seems with content. A lot of it is "optional" but the game ends up feel bloated due to the sheer amount of "content". And a lot of it is mid-tier/not great.

What I see when people say "bring back all the old stuff" is feature bloat even if it is optional. Because I think "instead of making all this content, why didn't they instead make the main content more engaging/refined"

Ex: Why did R* spend all this time and effort making a bunch of minigames for GTAV when their main mission design feels outdated as fuck?

If they bring features back, I want them to be improved/modernized. I don't expect or want them to bring literally every old feature from previous games up because it becomes

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Really wished they would go with some cel-shading or at least outlines. Looks a little too flat, especially the characters. Loved the art style of mystery dungeon dx, would love to see some of that incorporated.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
i can't believe there are people defending how this looks or saying it "looks fine" and acting bewildered by some peoples' reactions
For real, seeing this:
images

Was just a wtf moment lmao, and I saw the leak saying it was gonna be weird chibi so I thought I was prepared.

I don't think it looks too bad top-down but when they go close to the ground like this shot it looks awful.

And I can say that while still being interested in the game. I don't get why some people act like everyone has to be 100% positive.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Let's be real, this doesn't look good. I'm not a hater and don't get off saying negative things about this game or anything. But it just looks very very cheap. I would say it looks like a mobile game but that does a disservice to mobile games - Genshin looks better than Sword and Shield even.

Let's Go's graphical style was actually quite pretty, so it's alarming that they went with this direction. That battle screenshot... Jeez.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly in love with how these look, but things like decorative buildings with no doors are way less conspicous in a chibi style than, say, the painted-on doors in the more realistically proportioned Sun and Moon.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I like the way it looks except for the character models in the overworld. They haven't quite got the proportions right and they look very weird.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Think of a Ubisoft game like Assassin's Creed Valhalla or even a R* game.

Those games are bursting at the seems with content. A lot of it is "optional" but the game ends up feel bloated due to the sheer amount of "content". And a lot of it is mid-tier/not great.

What I see when people say "bring back all the old stuff" is feature bloat even if it is optional. Because I think "instead of making all this content, why didn't they instead make the main content more engaging/refined"

Ex: Why did R* spend all this time and effort making a bunch of minigames for GTAV when their main mission design feels outdated as fuck?

If they bring features back, I want them to be improved/modernized. I don't expect or want them to bring literally every old feature from previous games up because it becomes
Fair enough. I think the disconnect here is that I don't believe they've been making the main campaign more engaging at all, and that's why the removal of some of those features throughout the years carries more weight for me. And for that, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Love it other than the overworld character models, glad it doesn't look like sword and shield I might actually g-

EvKYBWwVcAM4NTJ

On second thoughts, maybe not

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I think the art direction of the environments is gorgeous. I love the clean look of it.

The chibi models are cute but, I'm kinda eh on them.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
LOL what? Piers is awesome. He's a glam rock star, he's meant to look ridiculous and over the top.

Sword and Shield probably has the best NPC design in the series. The weird sword and shield brothers are like the only exception to that.
This. Hop, Marnie, Sonia, Nessa, Opal, Raihan, post-game Leon, and Mustard are all great. Also Marnie again.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I think the disconnect here is that I don't believe they've been making the main campaign more engaging at all, and that's why the removal of some of those features throughout the years carries more weight for me. And for that, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Agreed. Which is why I think the one universal truth about Pokemon is they can't make everyone happy because the franchise is so huge and important to so many people, but everyone has different expectations/wants from it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Love it other than the overworld character models, glad it doesn't look like sword and shield I might actually g-

EvKYBWwVcAM4NTJ

On second thoughts, maybe not

Yeah, I thought that with it being developed by another studio, there's at least a chance for the game design to be changed up some more, even though it clearly didn't look like it whatsoever already. But then reading about Masuda being a co-director... just... forget it.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I think the art direction of the environments is gorgeous. I love the clean look of it.

The chibi models are cute but, I'm kinda eh on them.
I'm with you on the chibi models. I don't like how the character moves, but it probably won't be an issue when I'm playing it. It just stands out more in video.

The art style is fine. Some of the complaints are overly dramatic but it's too be expected in a Pokemon thread.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Yeah, I thought that with it being developed by another studio, there's at least a chance for the game design to be changed up some more, even though it clearly didn't look like it whatsoever already. But then reading about Masuda being a co-director... just... forget it.
it gives me pause but i also dont think masuda is gonna be like "nah dont make any of that shit" if the devs are interested in putting in features

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Can't be bothered to put in all the extra content that Platinum added. Kids are too busy these days and easily distracted, they don't have time for all that extra stuff.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I'm with you on the chibi models. I don't like how the character moves, but it probably won't be an issue when I'm playing it. It just stands out more in video.

The art style is fine. Some of the complaints are overly dramatic but it's too be expected in a Pokemon thread.

I think for me its the lack of expressions so far that bugs me. But otherwise, I'm happy. Definitely could use more shadow work for the battles and such, but im not holding my breath.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
It's a 1:1 remake meant to resemble the look of the original games, which means my fears of them removing something like the underground are lifted. I really like how it looks, it's pretty much what I imagined 3D Pokémon would look like before X/Y were revealed.

Honestly, I'm mostly excited to finally see my man Piplup in HD.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
it gives me pause but i also dont think masuda is gonna be like "nah dont make any of that shit" if the devs are interested in putting in features

With that guy, I think exactly that is going to be the case, lol.

Can't be bothered to put in all the extra content that Platinum added. Kids are too busy these days and easily distracted, they don't have time for all the extra stuff.

Ayup.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the graphics. I'm actually kind of happy to see them emulating the classic Pokemon visuals which still hold a lot of charm for me.

Definitely looks to be on a much smaller budget than previous remakes though.

Its weird, you wouldn't think Gamefreak of all people would be hurting for money.