• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
1. Thats fair, since I also don't like the visuals here
2. No, I don't want every dumb gimmick like Z-moves, Mega Evo, Gigantamax, slapped onto every game with a Pokedex reaching the 1000's. I'd fundamentally prefer a strong new 150 ish pokemon with little overlap from previous games because I caught and saw those pokemon before. I don't want to do it again. That's why "regional variants" is the best gimmick Pokemon has come up with post BW
3. Pokemon is still a game meant for children. I don't have the patience anymore for a cave where I can't see shit, I need flash to see, keep running into Zubats and training each pokemon individually. If you want the option to turn of EXP share, fine. But time waste dungeons/caves can die in the past.
4. Post game is fine

So there, I have issues with 2 of your proposed "fixes" that would make everyone love Pokemon. You can't just say "my list would make everyone love pokemon again". It would make you love pokemon, but 2 of your proposed things would make me hate it.

2. I don't want them either, but that's more an argument for them not making dumb gimmicks in the first place than for not bring forward features and expanding on them
3. If this is a game for kids then your patience as an adult isn't really relevant, right? If kids can manage Minecraft they can manage routes that resemble the older games. I'm not saying to bring back HMs, those were just bad design, just more complexity than a squiggly line with some branches
4. If it was fine people wouldn't be asking for the Battle Frontier with every new game. The point is, they clearly put effort into making raising Pokemon less tedious, but in game (if you don't have online) you pretty much only have the regional Battle Tower version

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
FWIW I noticed that the lake/starting town didn't have any snow and Eternal forest didn't have any of the pretty tree shading. Both Platinum additions.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant compare the two. Do the remakes really REALLY look worse? How would that be possible? And how are these remakes and not ports? Can someone explain?
these are remakes because they're not using the assets of the DS games. they've recreated everything. surely you know what a port means? a port means taking a game and making it run on another hardware, which clearly isn't the case here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The chibi stuff is definitely a big turnoff. And generally, I don't think I need to go back to the old games. Not for me, but am excited about the Arc. Happy that people who aren't will get this.

But the original games were "chibi". I prefer this and my brain filling in the gaps than modern Pokemon where the people all look this insane:

maxresdefault.jpg

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Why focus on the person saying it, instead of on the person who comprehends this?

The fact that someone hears something else from what was said is THEIR problem, not the person who said "I think this looks like shit"

This is confusing to me. I'm focused on the person saying it because they are the ones being inflammatory. Art is emotional and personal. That's the whole point of it. To create something that connects with other people and brings value to their lives. People should be finding art that they connect to (and that includes purposefully depressing and aggressive art, as finding someone that experiences similar emotion to you can lead to a positive state).

So when someone's reaction to art is to insult it (with no actual insight, ie "disgusting", "shitty", "hideous"), then they should not be surprised that someone else feels hurt by that. The whole point of art is an emotional reaction. And I'm not saying you shouldn't think something is shitty. I'm saying that when you express that a piece of art is shitty in a public forum, some people that like it will feel hurt and they will respond in the only way that inflammatory statement allows. They are not feeling something different from what was said, they are feeling exactly what was meant.

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
I don't know anyone who considers Diamond and Pearl the peak of the franchise, LOL. They were incredibly rushed games that ran like molasses.

Most Sinnoh love comes from Platinum.
That and HGSS ironically enough. But enough people in recent years seem to have completely forgotten how rough non-3rd games used to be. A lot of polls I've followed on Reddit and YouTube have been rating Diamond and Pearl among if the at the series best for a the last few years. The only games that can occasionally top it are GS and BW.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I dislike are those ugly chibi models, besides that this looks better than Sword and Shield but not better than the originals unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for the person you quoted, but I didn't read their second point as referring to the generational gimmicks like Z-Moves and Gigantamax. There are plenty of optional features that were cut for seemingly no reason throughout the years. Things like Secret Bases, for example. The games really need more things to do in their barren towns.

But there are so many gimmicks throughout the years in Pokemon, that saying "don't get rid of some, just build up on all of them" is unfeasible. We've had poffins, secret bases, max raid battles, fossil harvesting, contests, etc.

If you want to bring something up and make better, fine. But the idea of bringing literally everything back to me sounds like a crowded and messy game. Usually the things that are cut are replaced by something else or some new feature. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
This one looks weird to me. It's like they're going for a similar chibi style to LGPE, but lower fidelity, with less stylized textures that end up making everything look pretty drab. Almost mobile-gamey.
This game looks like it should precede LGPE. By a few years.
But the truth is the other way around? Very strange.

Sinnoh enthusiasts you have my sympathy today. Left to right this looks like a before and after...

XC1nYl9.png

Not every gameplay experiment from LGPE was a success but the game was very pretty. Chef's kiss artstyle as far as I'm concerned.
This one...not so much. It looks like development began on 3DS and got moved to Switch after a long stall.

At least Pokemon Legends looks like a pretty fun experiment. I'm still happy today because I have that and Snap to look forward to.
I also think it's generally positive news that they let another developer handle this remake so they could internally focus on a big project like Legends. Unfortunately the developer they chose...well... results don't look great.

I hope it's at least got all the platinum stuff. Yeesh.

There's a meme somewhere in here about LGPE resenting how people trashed it when it released and are now missing it.

Oct 27, 2017
But the original games were "chibi". I prefer this and my brain filling in the gaps than modern Pokemon where the people all look this insane:

maxresdefault.jpg

The overworld sprites were. The art style wasn't. And your example is an example of bad character design, not the art style. These would look just as dumb with a chibi art style too

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I like the idea here, but its inarguably just poorly executed. Regardless, I prefer this to the game being handled by GameFreak and having an impact on the next gen... so I'll take it.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Looks cute.

My expectations are down to a neat-looking version of Diamond and Pearl that run much better than the originals, and with Legends coming soon after, I can live with that.

Has there been considerable improvement from reveal -> release for a mainline pokemon in the past?

X and Y looked substantially better at launch than they did on reveal.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone else find adding "Brilliant" and "Shiny" to the version names as like the most ironic naming in gaming history given how bland and underwhelming these remakes are?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The people who think this could've been fine in a 3ds clearly haven't watched the trailer and actually looked at it imo.
What do you mean by this? I've watched it several times and I'm not seeing this.

At best I could see the background of the battles, but if that's all you're talking about then you're clearly missing the point.

Oct 25, 2017
2. I don't want them either, but that's more an argument for them not making dumb gimmicks in the first place than for not bring forward features and expanding on them
3. If this is a game for kids then your patience as an adult isn't really relevant, right? If kids can manage Minecraft they can manage routes that resemble the older games. I'm not saying to bring back HMs, those were just bad design, just more complexity than a squiggly line with some branches
4. If it was fine people wouldn't be asking for the Battle Frontier with every new game. The point is, they clearly put effort into making raising Pokemon less tedious, but in game (if you don't have online) you pretty much only have the regional Battle Tower version

I was agreeing with you for more post game content. Not saying the current content is fine.

I actually think I agree with your more expanded points because I looked at what you said as "just make it like the old games" when there were cases of just throwing in whatever and annoying mechanics that extended the lenght of the game, not a legitimate challenge. I dislike the games post BW mostly because of the fact they just felt like cheap gimmicks. Mega Evo, Zmoves and Gigantamax are dumb and add nothing to Pokemon's relatively simple battle system.

Regional Variants however are actually really cool because they act like remixes of old Pokemon that are permanent and not temporary.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
What WERE people expecting? I want to hear a serious answer to this. Because all I remember regarding talk around remakes were sentiments about how the series was better in 2D and how Diamond and Pearl were at the peak of the franchise. But now that it's not in a 3D overworld and it looks like a faith D/P remake suddenly that's a problem. This isn't analogous at all to getting a burnt steak, its more analogous to ordering "steak" and getting upset at receiving a "ribeye" instead of a "new york strip".
For me I was just expecting a game that was both D/P and also continued where Sw/Sh left off. So new designs for the characters, some new forms for legendaries, maybe even some new max forms in postgame and the ability to connect with Sw/Sh and possibly add the rest of the missing mons into the meta.

This is more like a self-contained facelift of D/P. The trainers look the same. Dialga and Palkia are the same. It's just D/P on Switch. Which is gonna be fun in its own way, but I'm left feeling disappointed.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Yeah for me this is definitely a wait for more info game. If it doesn't have platinum content it's a sure pass from me. Will get it down the line to experience the games but won't buy it new

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Made a few quick n dirty comparisons based off of the images on the official site. Overall the environments look really nice, and the new lighting is definitely a big upgrade.

To think that this is 15 years of difference in the fast-evolving tech world...

Can you imagine how stupidly good the game could look instead if it were developed by e.g. Vicarious Vision?

But nah, you got me GF and TCP. After calling GF out to be one of the possibly least technically apt developers, they've shown me it can be worse. All it took was a studio's first real foray into game development. 😒

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
The names feel really basic and dumb. Coming from the heart/soul and alpha/omega for the remakes, this kind of naming is underwhelming.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
But there are so many gimmicks throughout the years in Pokemon, that saying "don't get rid of some, just build up on all of them" is unfeasible. We've had poffins, secret bases, max raid battles, fossil harvesting, contests, etc.

If you want to bring something up and make better, fine. But the idea of bringing literally everything back to me sounds like a crowded and messy game. Usually the things that are cut are replaced by something else or some new feature. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
This is the second time in a Pokémon thread that someone has told me there's such a thing as having too much content in a game and I just don't understand it. We're not talking about things that would result in a bloated campaign here, either. We're talking about features that are in many cases optional and add to the games. It's not like the base Sword and Shield games are brimming with things to do.

This also goes into the discussion about Platinum content. With the remakes, I just don't see an argument for not including content that was already added on to their third versions.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
as someone that started with pearl as a kid, I really don't like the look of these games. excluding the platinum content and playing it off as a "faithful recreation" of the originals just seems entirely cynical to me.

why would I want to play this when I could play the better looking game with more content, platinum? there's no way this remake has stuff like the battle frontier. at best we'll get the battle tower, though I wouldn't be surprised if that gets the chop too.

there's a lot of emphasis on the game being a remake of "diamond and pearl", with no mention of platinum. I really hope this game has the platinum Dex at least, since the DP roster had serious issues (almost no fire types for one). I really hope it's not a let's go deal where we can't even trade over Pokémon that weren't in the originals

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The overworld sprites were. The art style wasn't. And your example is an example of bad character design, not the art style. These would look just as dumb with a chibi art style too

I meant more that the switch to HD has encouraged their character designers to feel like they need to make every NPC a ridiculous caricature with appendage-hair. Exhibit B:

Sword_Shield_Piers.png

Some of Diamond/Pearl's gym leaders are silly looking but they aren't this level of mess.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't think chibi translates into 3d in a way that looks good in any way, especially when we know what more fleshed out characters look like (Especially when those character models are in the battles). I'm sure it was meant as an intentional artistic choice, and I think it was a bad one given how nice Let's Go looked.

If you think the screenshot above demonstrates a bad thing, I strongly disagree. The character designs are funny without the bizarre and off-putting body proportions that 3d chibi brings. I don't want or need realistic looking characters, I just don't want chibi anything.

Oct 26, 2017
This is confusing to me. I'm focused on the person saying it because they are the ones being inflammatory. Art is emotional and personal. That's the whole point of it. To create something that connects with other people and brings value to their lives. People should be finding art that they connect to (and that includes purposefully depressing and aggressive art, as finding someone that experiences similar emotion to you can lead to a positive state).

So when someone's reaction to art is to insult it (with no actual insight, ie "disgusting", "shitty", "hideous"), then they should not be surprised that someone else feels hurt by that. The whole point of art is an emotional reaction. And I'm not saying you shouldn't think something is shitty. I'm saying that when you express that a piece of art is shitty in a public forum, some people that like it will feel hurt and they will respond in the only way that inflammatory statement allows. They are not feeling something different from what was said, they are feeling exactly what was meant.

They're not being inflammatory at all. If I say something looks shit, it means that the visuals to me look like garbage. Nothing else. If someone else hears my words and comprehends them as "looks like shit and your taste is garbage what a crap person lol can't appreciate art lmfao", then the emotional response is coming from the person who misinterpreted what was actually being said. I get that art is emotional but that doesn't mean that the person gets to take what I said and turn it into a strawman.

It's the same with people who criticize games and the other side is like "shut up and stop talking about negative stuff"