• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
A remake that looks worse than the original game. I think it's cheaper to get a DS + a copy of Diamond/Pearl.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I actually genuinely like the art style. Captures the spirit of the original DP games.

Querilous

Oct 27, 2017
Really the main problem here is that the game is trying too hard to be Diamond/Pearl again, and failed to make it stand on its own merits. Just mindlessly emulating the old ways with new tech. The game is ugly not because they chose a bad style, but because they didn't really choose one, just tried to mimic the DP world as closely as possible.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Character models look like fucking funko pops kill me now

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all can start using this if you wish.

giphy.gif

I'm not ready to say it's worse yet. If the gameplay is still intact I should still pick it up. Though I'm a little bit cautious, maybe it's just the artstyle. Games itself is hopefully still good.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Damn, people are really upset.

Yeah, even as someone who has been very cynical on all the modern Pokemon games I'm pretty surprised at how negative the thread is, lol. I'm ambivalent. My purchase hinges solely on how much Platinum content there is, if any. Gen 4 is my favorite but if they're gonna force us into a 150 Pokemon dex with only two Fire type families I'll just go replay Platinum instead.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Not sure a Pokemon trailer has ever made me want to play a game less, lol

Just really not a feeling of their art, engine, or overall modernization direction anymore. Really hope some new talent gets more lead with this IP in time.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I am not saying the original looked graphically better but it looked more aesthetically pleasing. Like pixel art much more vibrant and colorful than the flat 3d texture that the remake has. Sad that my fav gen got this......

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
It looks really bad. I thought I wouldn't mind the chibi, but it's worse than I thought. I think I'll just play the originals. 😞

Eeek

Nov 3, 2018
You know someone mentioned that Porygon-Z was shown in the trailer which in the original could only be gotten in post-game so maybe they did update the dex?

I hope they do something about the HMs.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, even as someone who has been very cynical on all the modern Pokemon games I'm pretty surprised at how negative the thread is, lol. I'm ambivalent. My purchase hinges solely on how much Platinum content there is, if any. Gen 4 is my favorite but if they're gonna force us into a 150 Pokemon dex with only two Fire type families I'll just go replay Platinum instead.
That Fire Elite 4 member was pretty funny back in the original days

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too hate cheap mobile dreck like Dragon Quest XI, Ace Combat 7 and Nier Automata, really grinds my gears
Nier is Platinum & Square Enix
Ace Combat 7 Bandai Namco
Dragon Quest XI was again Square Enix

Unless I'm missing something here, what does ILCA have to do with any of those?

Outside of a website called mobygames that lists those games seemingly erroneously (along with games like Metal Gear Rising) I can't find anything about ILCA outside of them making Pokemon Home.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... this just doesn't look good. Like others have said, I think I'd rather just play the original again over this. What reason is there to play this other than being easily accessible on the switch? It just looks so low effort. Which is weird since it feels like this has been rumored to be in the works for a while now.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Man the hyperbole is almost as bad as Sword and Shield. We still have a year though so it could always get worse.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The Platinum content better actually be in this. And that weird phrasing about the Pokémon from the original games in that trailer concerns me greatly.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's off topic, but since we're comparing Zelda and Pokemon: Legends Arceus doesn't exactly look as good as BotW either. 👀

I guess we just have to (once again) accept that Pokémon is a yearly title that doesn't get AAA budgets.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Let's go catching and wild battles would have ruined this for me completely. I'm glad it's a new dev and the remakes really do look like they are completely faithful. But showing legends Arceus right after might make people wonder about the remakes, imo. Like for me the 2nd reveal blew this out of the water but I will still get BD and SP for competitive.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said earlier, I think we have to assume theres no Platinum content.
Not quite. We have a Porygon Z showing up so it'll probably have at least the Plat Pokedex. Even then there's still a year at least give it a chance to announce more features before writing it off as an overly faithful remake

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is giving some confidence that they won't abandon the QOL improvements from the new gens, like the changes to TMs/HMs and the EXP Share.

This could be a real double edged sword. There's some good changes like Box Anywhere and Infinite TMs, Downplay on HMs as well.

But then there's also stuff like how the EXP Share is always on so your team is overleveled and the difficulty curve is broken. So... gonna need to wait and see on this.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"Give us a Diamond and Pearl remake!"
*gives a D/P remake*
Era: OMG NOT LIKE THAT!
That's exactly what the discussion is about, the contents of the remakes we were just shown and plenty of us don't like the decisions they made regarding artstyle and "faithfulness" to the original games. I don't think the meme works quite well here.
Edit: I'm editing the last part out because I don't even want to risk a ban if someone complains about "false equivalency", even if it's not the case.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The flood of posts saying "This looks bad but I'll still get it" makes me sad
I never played the Sinnoh games so I was always getting this, but I am disappointed by the scope.

I started with HG and having seen gen 2 footage, I used to imagine what BW remakes would be like. Now I'm realizing I might be done with the remakes after these. It seems they no longer care about bringing the remakes up to snuff with current gen design like they used to - which is fine, but not for me, at least for the games I've already played.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
If you dig the art style cool Im happy for you. but why do people get so mad when people say they think it looks like shit?