• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty bummed out about this. I was hoping a D/P remake would continue adding to the Sw/Sh generation, but this looks entirely self-contained and super faithful to a fault. I can find fun in that too, but I dunno... I was hoping for new forms and stuff for competitive. On the other hand, a restoration of Gen 4 competitive could be fun to try out. I'm also not feeling the graphics either or the 3D renders for the character art... blah!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the graphical approach generally speaking but I think the art design seems a bit unimaginative. Not gonna lie, Sword and Shield's shaders would've benefitted the look of this game way more. I'm also left wondering why both this and LGPE aren't running at 60fps. Feels like they're punching below their own weight.

Either way it looks like the most play-by-play remake they could've come out with, which is a bit of a letdown. I can only hope they integrate some of Platinum's improvements and build upon them with a new set.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'd LEGIT - no exaggeration - would rather just play the original with dual screens and pixel art and classic charm than this.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Watching the Era bubble again slaying a game, that will move millions of copies outside of the bubble.

No. I am usually on the side of "stop complaining about everything." Even with Sword and Shield, I thought the hate it received was hyperbolic.

But this game is absolutely deserving of criticism.

There are two issues here. The first is that it's not on the scale of Sword and Shield. This is something that is more up for debate. Some people might actually prefer a 1:1 remake.

The second is that even the 1:1 remake is incredibly disappointing. We should absolutely expect the game to look much better than it does. They have the resources to do it and they chose not to. It's arguable that it looks WORSE than the DS games.

At a certain point, it needs to be admitted that they're doing the bare minimum because the games sell no matter what.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Well duh. I can't take it seriously though.. that someone thinks a 2006 game looks better than 2021. Like... you are comparing ds vs switch screens. Just my take

Completely different art styles and execution. Sprites vs fully 3D, etc. I don't see how DS vs Switch is relevant. But to each their own.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was really like a gut-punch. Seeing that ugly ass Lucas overworld model kinda hurts. D/P/P deserved better ;_;
Now I don't want them to ever touch Gen 5.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The graphics are absolutely no where near that standard

985830-the-legend-of-zelda-link-s-awakening-nintendo-switch-screenshot.jpg

EvKYaabXUAYmVuM

Ah, shit. Putting them side by side like that is really bumming me out.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The flood of posts saying "This looks bad but I'll still get it" makes me sad
Haha yeah, but I'm giving them a pass because that's exactly what I did with Sword. I knew the game was terrible pre-release and I still bought it... not this time though, I said they had to earn my purchase this time, but these remakes ain't worth the $60, not even the $40 they should cost if Nintendo priced their games fairly.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
"DP remakes? I guess they won't have any Platinum content, but still, it could be good. I guess they will go with either of two options:"

Option 1: use the LGPE approach so the grid-based map and puzzles are 1:1
Option 2: go the SwSh way and try to have it free 3D, possibly with some improvements like ORAS was to XY

"I sure can't think of any alternative possibilities that would make sense", me thinks before watching the trailer.

Oh, you sweet summer child, it was option 3! It was option 3 all along, Austin! Have a very basic 3D mapping on top of the original and use battle models with even less detail, no shading, and awful lighting than SwSh. The human models are even worse than Pokemon Masters, the mobile game!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to internet discourse on Pokemon, so I'm wondering what the supposed problem with ORAS was? They are my favourite Pokémon games and therefore one of my favourite games of all time
Stuff liek this is why I find them so disappointing, especially after how much I loved HG/SS.

Didn't include all of the improvements made to balancing that Emerald included (such as gym leader teams).
Was overall easier
Didn't include stuff like the Battle Frontier
Delta Episode was garbage
Even more handholding than the original
Side content like the trick house being reduced in scope
One of the dungeons was made smaller and easier

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Here's where I'm at: if you're going for a faithful remake, at the bare minimum, the promise of updated visuals should entice me to go for the remake rather than just going back to the original. Link's Awakening did a good job of this. Even as someone who typically doesn't see the problem with art styles that Era tends to hate (I like the look of Bravely Default II, the Let's Go games, etc.), this just doesn't look appealing to me at all, and the battles look markedly worse than they did in Sword / Shield. As it stands, this is just making me want to play Platinum instead of buying one of these. I guess there's still time for visual polish, but it's not going to change the way I audibly groaned "Oh noooooo" when I saw how Dawn looked in that trailer lol.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is cute IMO, could use a few visual touch-ups but I like what they're going for. Vastly prefer it to the middle-ground offered by Let's Go.

The real question is whether they have been slavishly devoted to Diamond & Pearl down to its worst aspects. I imagine battle speed won't be a problem, but we need the Platinum Pokédex at the very least.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Going to skip this. I would have been fine with Let's Go graphics, but this simply isn't enough. And we all know this will be 60€. Tbh I'm kind of shocked what they showed today. Pokémon games never had truly amazing graphics, but this is a new low.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
I like the art style, got no problem with that. My current disappointment comes from the fact that game has been handed to another studio, and appears to be a remake that's actually too faithful to the original games. I'm genuinely concerned there will be no Platinum content, and I'm almost certain there will be no fun, extra content. I've been putting off replaying Platinum for ages in the hope of a remake, but if these are nearly 1to1 faithful to the original DS games (which I'd argue games like FR/LG, HG/SS and OR/AS weren't) then I don't actually know why I should buy them?

If they do actually have similar changes like those other remakes, I'll definitely pick it up, but it doesn't seem like they will.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I absolutely adore this. As long as the content is there, I'll be happy. I wasn't expecting to see the Union Room of all things in the trailer, so that gives me hope. Platinum additions would be ace even if it's DLC. Gives it a chance to have both the OG story + a modified extension. The lack of snow patches was a little disappointing, but they could come back too. Either way, this direct delivered. Stoked for Legends too!

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Yeah.. can't be excited about this. This is a far cry from the great work grezzo did On LA. I can appreciate wanting to keep the chibi feel of the original, but the execution is really poor. looks like a knock-off practically. Feel bad for big fans of the original

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Hmm. Diamond was the last Pokemon game that I really played. I have skipped every new generation since, but I did pick up Omega Ruby back in 2016 for the sake of nostalgia and was genuinely looking forward to doing the same here.

But I feel like the main point of the remakes is to recreate the older game in the style of the current gen, and this doesn't even approach the bar. Just... disappointing.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Other than being slightly bummed about possibly not getting the upgrades from Platinum, I am super excited. It looks super cute and I hope plushie keychains are pre-order bonuses like they were for LG and Sword/Shield.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Already with the 'Era hates everything' and 'pokemon fans can't be happy' comments. God forbid people criticize an underwhelming-looking port after they made a better looking port two years ago

Feels far more hostile to people that actually like how the game looks. Doesn't really read as criticism when the main choice of words include "bad", "hideous", "soulless", "disgusting", "3DS level", "Originals look better", "N64 games look better".

That isn't criticism, there's nothing critical about it. Its just a gut reaction. Which is fine, but it's also not surprising the follow up reaction is that "Pokémon fans can't be happy". The fanbase is wide and there are like a dozen different ways to experience this franchise and yet there is a large backlash to any new announcement.

The expectation was that it would look like any of the two Pokémon games on the Switch. I think that much is obvious.

Not sure why that would be the expectation, both games received tremendous criticism.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl | Official Website | Pokémon

Relive a beloved adventure through the Sinnoh region, or embark on your very first Sinnoh quest with these new games on the Nintendo Switch system.

Official website is out. I think the shots here look better than the screengrabs from the trailer going around.
This quote from the website:

These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes.

Is giving some confidence that they won't abandon the QOL improvements from the new gens, like the changes to TMs/HMs and the EXP Share.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EXTREMELY happy.

I've wanted Sinnoh remakes for so long and the games look incredible, bless up.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
After the leak I was expecting Let's Go style visuals and I was ready to be disappointed, but this is something else wow.

Joker22Hero

Nov 3, 2020
Stuff liek this is why I find them so disappointing, especially after how much I loved HG/SS.

Didn't include all of the improvements made to balancing that Emerald included (such as gym leader teams).
Was overall easier
Didn't include stuff like the Battle Frontier
Delta Episode was garbage
Even more handholding than the original
Side content like the trick house being reduced in scope
One of the dungeons was made smaller and easier
Okay, thank you

Well I never realised as I played RSS when I was like 5 or 6 years old, so my memories were not too fresh (and I loved delta episode as it was unexpected)