• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I mean people said this with XY, that the first 3D Pokemon would have growing pains, and the next gen would be better, and that didn't really come to pass either. (I like gen 7 more than 6, but that has nothing really to do with the amount of content, per se.)

I just don't really see a lot of reason to expect gen 9 to magically be this huge improvement from SWSH.

SM was definitely a big jump over XY, though. The sense of scale change was pretty large, the cutscenes were all much more detailed and complicated, the cities and buildings all had even more attention to detail and stuff within them.

But whether that jump is something you enjoy is a different matter. But they were getting a lot more out of the 3DS with SM than XY.

"The games will be better without all of the Pokemon"

Pokemon Sword/Shield say hi.

We have no idea what caused the problems during development but it's safe to assume they would have run into even more trouble if they prioritized having every Pokemon in the game.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they give some interesting new moves to a bunch of Sinnoh Pokémon.
After the Squirtle line received Shell Smash in Sw/Sh I'd very much love for Turtwig to go the same route aswell.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
How is Legends a substantial gameplay innovation exactly?
Completely different catching, completely different story set up, revamped movement options (dodge roll, sneaking, jumping etc) that tie into the action part of combat where the trainer can get hit, different way to handle turns, move from linear to open environments, climbing and flying everywhere, crafting, missions…

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Never expect a Pokémon game from here on to have all Pokémon.

The series will be better for it.
Quite an assumption.

Cutting things from games does not mean they are obligated to add other things in their place. Look at Sword and Shield.

For all we know, this is simply cost cutting on their part.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Quite an assumption.

Cutting things from games does not mean they are obligated to add other things in their place. Look at Sword and Shield.

It's not about getting the nebulous "more content" because we have no idea how much content would or wouldn't be in the game with every Pokemon. It's about being able to design a game around XXX amount of Pokemon, knowing what resources are available and working from there.

You can't point to Sword and Shield as an example because what are you comparing it to? We don't have a version of Sword and Shield with every Pokemon and yet everything else is the same.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I would make the trade off 1000x if having a limited pokedex means we will get higher quality games. Legends Arceus is already a great signal things are changing for the better.

How is Legends a substantial gameplay innovation exactly?

How is it not? Have you seen the trailers? If you're looking for a bigger shake up than that, you're looking for a different game, not mainline Pokémon.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Quite an assumption.

SWSH wasn't developed with the intent to cut, that happened late in development and thus isn't a valid example of what can be done for it.

And it's not cost cutting, and you cannot just throw money at this problem for it to go away

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think limiting the amount of Pokemon that appear in each game is going to lead to the games turning into the magical dream games people keep hammering on about. My interpretation was always like, hey guys there's over 1,000 of these fucking things. If we're gonna keep dropping new games every year we have to put a cap on the amount of shit we have to test.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know why people are bringing SwSh into this, they did the cut in Let's Go and we got jack shit out of it, and that was intentional. Don't expect anything extra from these games anymore or them to get better just because they have less monsters to work with.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are bringing SwSh into this, they did the cut in Let's Go and we got jack shit out of it, and that was intentional. Don't expect anything extra from these games anymore or them to get better just because they have less monsters to work with.
Yeah, I usually try not to bring up Let's Go in these contexts because it's a very weird game and the debate over whether or not it's mainline is tiring, but it unquestionably has a lot less content than the last time Gen 1 got remade despite having only like 40% of the number Pokémon in the older remake.

The sheer number of Pokémon really isn't the problem. The problem is that Game Freak was overworking themselves for basically the entirety of the 2010s and never truly regained their footing after a rocky transition to 3DS. Things just finally got bad enough that the Pokémon became a casualty of that. With a few notable exceptions, most individual Pokémon, especially ones not appearing in the wild, can be implemented largely in isolation without impacting the broader game, so the primary limiting factors for how many can be included are most likely how big the workforce doing so is and how efficient their tools are.

Fortunately there are some early signs, like BDSP being outsourced, that they may be trying to address at least some of the core issues that have lead to the recent games being underwhelming, but it remains to be seen if it will work or if they'll also reverse course on some of their more controversial design philosophy changes. I do think there's some potential in the cycle they seem to be setting up of:
  • Main game that gets updated throughout the generation
  • DLC "3rd version"
  • Outsourced remake
  • Experimental side game (I'm kinda 50/50 on Legends becoming a series, could also just be something different every time)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think limiting the amount of Pokemon that appear in each game is going to lead to the games turning into the magical dream games people keep hammering on about. My interpretation was always like, hey guys there's over 1,000 of these fucking things. If we're gonna keep dropping new games every year we have to put a cap on the amount of shit we have to test.

I don't think anyone pro-dexit believes it will lead to dream games or some magical difference. People just accept that developer resources are finite with even the largest developers, and that even the largest developers prioritize and divert resources around. It's an acceptance that dev manpower and dev costs are spiraling out of control and it's not something you can just throw more people and money at.

It's just something brought up as proof dexit didn't work, but there's nothing to compare it to.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope in the very least thr limited dex will mean they will be adding more new Pokémon every gen. The count has been underwhelming since gen 6.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I wonder how many times we'll have to hear that the NEXT gen of Pokemon will be better.

"Just wait til gen 7"
"Gen 7 is clearly a proof of concept. Watch how amazing gen 8 is"
"Gen 8 is definitely struggling cause these things take time but its still awesome. Watch as Gen 9 shows how improved everything is"
Insert how Gen 9 is obviously them trying something new and to get really excited for gen 10

I didn't even mind any of the issues of the other gens save for the battle resort tease in ORAS. This gen is the first time where I'm just tired of seeing everything they do get applauded.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times we'll have to hear that the NEXT gen of Pokemon will be better.

"Just wait til gen 7"
"Gen 7 is clearly a proof of concept. Watch how amazing gen 8 is"
"Gen 8 is definitely struggling cause these things take time but its still awesome. Watch as Gen 9 shows how improved everything is"
Insert how Gen 9 is obviously them trying something new and to get really excited for gen 10

But Gen 7 are the best Pokemon games. I never heard any argument of proof of concept.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I see no reason to believe Gen 9 will be as messy as SwSh. The game clearly had development issues that "talent" or developer count couldn't fix. Speaking of is there any info out there on what the fuck happened with SwSh?

Last edited:

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Will this game be better than sword and shield? I'm currently playing that and it's too easy. I'm just catching Pokémon before I fight Leon. Going by the trailer this looks to be better?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone pro-dexit believes it will lead to dream games or some magical difference. People just accept that developer resources are finite with even the largest developers, and that even the largest developers prioritize and divert resources around. It's an acceptance that dev manpower and dev costs are spiraling out of control and it's not something you can just throw more people and money at.

It's just something brought up as proof dexit didn't work, but there's nothing to compare it to.
Broadly speaking, maintaining the Pokémon models is exactly the sort of problem you can just throw more people and money at.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Will this game be better than sword and shield? I'm currently playing that and it's too easy. I'm just catching Pokémon before I fight Leon. Going by the trailer this looks to be better?
DP are far better than SwSh. There are very few if any mainline games I would put below SwSh. Personally I think GameFreak were at their absolute peak between Gen 4 and 5. Like there is a healthy gap between SwSh and every other Pokemon games outside of XY, and I like Gen 6 and 8.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Why is there talk about some other, future pokemon games, I'm interested in finding out why I should play remakes of Diamond and Pearl, other than "they are now with better graphics". Like if that's all there is to them, I will pass, and that will be that. But it seems sad that the great improvement that is gained by dropping the (to me at least) compelling feature of having a complete pokedex is simply a coat of paint.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Broadly speaking, maintaining the Pokémon models is exactly the sort of problem you can just throw more people and money at.

To a degree but there's a reason games don't tend to do that. Because it also means maintaining the animations and everything else that goes along with it, especially if they ever want to expand upon them.

Games like RDR2 had 2000 people working on it and there's a reason there was still a limit on how many outfits you could wear and things like that.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Meanwhile, no one else is really putting games out like Pokemon.
Is always this, like tell me what game has more than 1000 unique models and animations? Pokemon is in a pretty unique situation which has effect on other things like no save states due to the fact that individual pokémon can move between games, you can even have a Pokemon from the original Diamon/Pearl into this game

Last edited:

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
AgSfNOY.png

This was the supposed comment. Someone who speak native French would have a better idea versus machine translation.

Is that account even an official one? I smell bullshit.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Why is there talk about some other, future pokemon games, I'm interested in finding out why I should play remakes of Diamond and Pearl, other than "they are now with better graphics". Like if that's all there is to them, I will pass, and that will be that. But it seems sad that the great improvement that is gained by dropping the (to me at least) compelling feature of having a complete pokedex is simply a coat of paint.
We have nothing to go on right now, they've basically revealed nothing about these games outside of the two trailers.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing we know about these games at the moment is that they're Diamond and Pearl with "better" graphics and some tweaks to the gameplay here and there. We know they've expanded the Underground feature to add more Pokemon in the game that weren't easily available in base D/P and there's moves and types that were added later in the series included. So right now it's looking like a remixed Diamond and Pearl.

If your baseline for being interested in this was being able to transfer Pokemon from Black/White-onward into the game then no it's likely not going to be for you.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"The games will be better without all of the Pokemon"

Pokemon Sword/Shield say hi.

Don't even need to go that far, just look at Let's Go. It's worse than it's GBA counterpart.

Forced Motion Controls to catch pokemon if you are playing docked. My word...

Of the 234 pokemon that didn't make it into SwSh, if BDSP is having all from 1 to 493, that means only 63 pokemon are left from Gens 5 through 7 that haven't made it onto the Switch. Thought you'd be interested to know.

Last edited:

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I get the dexit and honestly don't care that not every Pokemon is available to transfer to each game. My problem is that we are getting a game with dexit in mind, BDSP, and it just doesn't look great. It's artistically bland, graphically unimpressive and seemingly new content barren.

Pokemon recently feels like a series of sacrifices with no pay off. I'm hoping Arceus is that but I'm not expecting it to be.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying Platinum, I just want to say: Fuck Mt Coronet.

And fuck Route 210.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't even need to go that far, just look at Let's Go. It's worse than it's GBA counterpart.

Forced Motion Controls to catch pokemon if you are playing docked. My word...

Of the 234 pokemon that didn't make it into SwSh, if BDSP is having all from 1 to 493, that means only 63 pokemon are left from Gens 5 through 7 that haven't made it onto the Switch. Thought you'd be interested to know.
I will never understand why the motion controls were so forced. Imagine being a fan of pokemon but you have a disability and are unable to play it because the game requires you to mimic a throw.

"But Hero_Select, if you play portable you only press a button to throw the ball!" - Then why can't I just fucking use my damn Pro controller? It's baffling.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Who you all using?

I think I might use my original JP Pearl team...Torterra, Luray, Staraptor, Drifblim, Lumineon, and...uh I honestly forgot who my sixth was I gotta check in Bank.

Edit: Bronzong. Kind lame in game but good at catching the Legendaries
All you honestly need is a grachomp. It can 0vs6 anything the game throws at you. Make sure to run Iron head or firefang if those pesky fairies gets in.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I see no reason to believe Gen 9 will be as messy as SwSh. The game clearly had development issues that "talent" or developer count could fix. Speaking of is there any info out there on what the fuck happened with SwSh?
The consensus seems to be that the models broke in shifting to the modified engine on new hardware and so they had to reimplement bits which takes a hell of a long time for the amount of models/animations. 1100+ unique models with dozens of animations; that'd take years with hundreds of staff

Here's the imported animation of a Sceptile put into the game prior to it being added in the game, showing something going very wrong. It's more complex than this but it's an example

It's why all those mod groups which were "We'll add all the Pokémon back" stopped after Kanto, since they were already done for Let's Go. They just conveniently stopped and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

I also assume you mean that talent or developer count couldn't fix, not could fix

If what you want is difficulty, then no. Pokémon games are always easy. Closest to not being was Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I always wondered what became of all those modders who said they could put all Pokémon in Sw / Sh, I guess I now know.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Never expect a Pokémon game from here on to have all Pokémon.

The series will be better for it.
SwSh didn't have Ampharos and was not better for it.

I'm going to be incredibly cheesed when we hit a Gen without Arcanine, because he's my ribbon champion and there will be unobtainable ribbons at that point.

The worst parts of SwSh were the Wild Area, Dynamax max raid battles, and the difficulty level. Not sure how any of that would have been better with a smaller roster (they're all poor gameplay decisions, not technical/polish ones).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The consensus seems to be that the models broke in shifting to the modified engine on new hardware and so they had to reimplement bits which takes a hell of a long time for the amount of models/animations. 1100+ unique models with dozens of animations; that'd take years with hundreds of staff

Here's the imported animation of a Sceptile put into the game prior to it being added in the game, showing something going very wrong. It's more complex than this but it's an example

It's why all those mod groups which were "We'll add all the Pokémon back" stopped after Kanto, since they were already done for Let's Go. They just conveniently stopped and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

I also assume you mean that talent or developer count couldn't fix, not could fix

If what you want is difficulty, then no. Pokémon games are always easy. Closest to not being was Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

Ahh thank you, and yeh I meant couldn't. I have my grievances with their design philosophy these days but shit happens and Im hopeful for the future.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer they cut these features that require animating more than 1000 pokémon in favor of cutting the pokémon from the game.

Personally, I feel it hurts the game.