• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What could be the next game?

• SuperDuperGigaSword/Shield & Knuckles

Votes: 49 11.0%
  • DP Remake

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • IX Gen

Votes: 29 6.5%
  • Let's Go Johto

Votes: 99 22.3%

• Total voters

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So 2020-2021 are big anniversary years for nintendo apparently. Next year is also Pokémon 25th anniversary and 15th Diamond and Pearl anniversary on top of that.

I hope the extra year of development of whatever they are making (thanks to this DLC year) gave them time to make a more polished game than the last... Too many to count.

What are you expecting to see?

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
SuperDuperGigaSword/Shield and Knuckles with the back half of the main game fully finished this time please. Better animations and less general jank would be a plus too

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still just so excited we're getting a new Pokemon Snap tbh, I don't care what else they do lol

But I would like a new Lets Go game, I ended up enjoying Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee a lot more than Sword/Shield.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Disappointing remakes of Diamond/Pearl with no Platinum content included is a pretty safe bet.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Give me Pokémon All-Stars you cowards. Make it a collection of FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
D/P remakes, now with Gen 7/8-esque corridor design, Cynthia completely neutered, and no Distortion World (we'll be lucky to even get Turnback Cave).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
DPP Remakes are pretty likely! Very excited for those.
Also hope for eShop releases of gen 1 to 3 this time

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Next year we're getting:
New Pokemon Snap
Pokemon D/P Remake
Pokemon Let's Go Johto
Pokemon Gen 9 tease
Pokemon RBYGSC for Nintendo Switch Online
Detective Pikachu 1+2 Switch
Pokemon Colosseum+XD HD collection

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Seems like D/P Remakes make the most sense, but I still have doubts they will happen.

I am expecting the game to be as polished as always.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they are more challenging. Sword & Shield were fine, cool world and I had my fun with the Pokémon game loop, but it was waaay too easy

I'd be totally in for a Let's Go Johto too

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
One day, we'll get pokémon R, a grimdark AU where the mons battle to the death using handguns and switchblades.
One day.

I hope they are more challenging. Sword & Shield were fine, cool world and I had my fun with the Pokémon game loop, but it was waaay too easy
I guess they want to target new generations of players with every release, so the games are super kid-friendly. If they want 7 year old kids to be able to really get into the game, presenting real challenge is probably hard.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Ideal world: DPPt remake

Probable Reality: Let's Go 2, not Let's Go Johto but another Let's Go set in Kanto

That said it DID feel like they were dropping an awful lot of Gen 4 hints and teases in SWSH.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
They'll launch GameBoy Switch Online but Pokemon won't be featured and then they'll release Red and Blue Anniversary Editions on the eShop for like $20 a pop.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
One day, we'll get pokémon R, a grimdark AU where the mons battle to the death using handguns and switchblades.
One day.

I guess they want to target new generations of players with every release, so the games are super kid-friendly. If they want 7 year old kids to be able to really get into the game, presenting real challenge is probably hard.

I understand that, they are games aimed at kids after all, buy maybe adding some sort of difficulty option could solve that issue. I'd imagine that would be a whole lot of work though

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I understand that, they are games aimed at kids after all, buy maybe adding some sort of difficult option could solve that issue. I'd imagine that would be a whole lot of work though
I'd love for that to happen, but if they're looking at game sales for feedback, investing the resources necessary doesn't seem too likely..

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I want Let's Go Johto.

feels a bit too early for next gen. likely will get a remake of Diamond/Pearl.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It won't be Gen 9. That'd put Gen 8 at the shortest generation of all time and give the game a 2 year development cycle, which just doesn't happen

Just because it's the 25th doesn't mean there will be a shift or any big huge reveals. Remember that. It falls right-bang in the middle of Gen 8

At best we'll get

A new Gen 8 game, perhaps remakes or hopefully something new in an old region. This would likely also bring the remaining "culled" Pokémon into the Gen 8 existence (We'll have ~230 missing after Crown Tundra is out)
Spin-offs: New Pokémon Snap, Pokémon UNITE
Anime as always, with a new movie
TCG Promotions in the west
A crapload of merch
Tie ins in Masters and GO, possibly involving Party Hat Pikachu in GO

Also don't forget that games aren't in development when the last one finishes. For example Let's Go didn't start when USUM finished and SWSH started when Let's Go finished. SWSH development started in 2016 with USUM and Let's Go being done at the same time by other teams.
Things are done in unison by different teams and people working on different projects as they're needed: i.e. an art designer wouldn't be needed after a point in development for one game so can shift over to another project while the original project is still in development

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
DPP Remake with no battle frontier and mt Coronet made easier and all event legendary missions gone and NO platinum content

Meh

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate how all the "D/P remakes but watered down" replies here are not unrealistic :(

OP
OP
Zodiark

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
We need a proper "Alpha Episode" with all the Arceus Lore

It's not gonna happen I know

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
A new Gen 8 game, perhaps remakes or hopefully something new in an old region. This would likely also bring the remaining "culled" Pokémon into the Gen 8 existence (We'll have ~230 missing after Crown Tundra is out)
One can only hope. I want to take my Chimchar and Shieldeon on new adventures

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
At this point, I expect the quality of the mainline games to continue their downward trajectory. Maybe they become more cash-grabbing and keep going down the route of creating problems to sell the solution back to us. Which means that my interest in the franchise will be restricted to the spinoffs. I liked the Mystery Dungeon remake and am definitely looking forward to New Pokemon Snap and Detective Pikachu Switch (if the latter is still a a thing)