• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched this season since the beginning but it sounds like Goh is just catching loads of stuff without battling it? After the series (and games) have established that it's not really possible for the past 20 years?

That's some bullshit.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's weird how they write Goh into the series where it's like, it doesn't even seem like he's playing by the same "rules" as Ash despite living in the same world as him. I haven't watched every episode of this new show, but have they gone into why Ash doesn't bother to catch as many Pokemon as Goh? Like in earlier shows everyone only dealt with a few Pokemon at a time so you just assume that's what makes sense to trainers in the anime world, but now you have Goh just snatching everything that pops up so it makes me wonder why Ash doesn't bother.
Ash caught like 80 Tauros

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
One of the earliest Gary - Ash comparisons even showed Gary had a rack full of Pokémon at Oak's.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I know that there are examples of characters having large amounts of Pokemon in the past but my wider point is that if we're moving the show to a place where Goh can just chuck pokeballs at whatever he wants, including stronger evolved Pokemon, then why is Ash purposely limiting himself to such a small selection of Pokemon?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I know that there are examples of characters having large amounts of Pokemon in the past but my wider point is that if we're moving the show to a place where Goh can just chuck pokeballs at whatever he wants, including stronger evolved Pokemon, then why is Ash purposely limiting himself to such a small selection of Pokemon?
With the Pokemon that are actually going to be a notable part of the main cast for either Goh or Ash they like to build up a relationship and character first. We're not even a year into the series so Ash will get more Pokemon, but they aren't just going to have him catching Pokemon like crazy.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ash's thing is battling, not catching. It's way easier to bring a small focused group of Pokémon up to scratch for battle than it is for the dozens of Pokémon that Goh's catching.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Because he believes he can only get the best out of Pokémon that he has a connection with.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Ash's thing is battling, not catching. It's way easier to bring a small focused group of Pokémon up to scratch for battle than it is for the dozens of Pokémon that Goh's catching.
Yeah I get that, I'm just wondering if that's something that Ash has explicitly stated he's doing in this version of the show. Because it seems weird to me that he's trying to get to number 1 in the PWC, but also purposefully handicapping himself. Meanwhile Goh demonstrates every week how easy it is to get Pokemon. Now I obviously don't think Ash should be doing the same thing, but you'd think he'd at least want to have different types of Pokemon to cover various situations.

I don't know if I'm getting across what I mean correctly, I just think the way Goh is written kind of punches against the language of the show a little lol

Nov 25, 2019
Just wait until Goh is the one who catches Eternatus
To be fair, Goh catching Eternatus wouldn't be that bad. On the games, Eternatus has to be caught in order to prevent mass destruction of Galar. They can adapt that meaning into the show. Goh releasing it after that or keeping it and having a Eureka-Puni-chan relationship could be very nice.

Yeah I get that, I'm just wondering if that's something that Ash has explicitly stated he's doing in this version of the show. Because it seems weird to me that he's trying to get to number 1 in the PWC, but also purposefully handicapping himself. Meanwhile Goh demonstrates every week how easy it is to get Pokemon. Now I obviously don't think Ash should be doing the same thing, but you'd think he'd at least want to have different types of Pokemon to cover various situations.

I don't know if I'm getting across what I mean correctly, I just think the way Goh is written kind of punches against the language of the show a little lol
This version of the show is focused on "Ash is a battler" and "Goh is a catcher". From what I recall, Ash hasn't stated why he's participating on the World Championships with only his current team, not even looking at his previous companions. With his return to Alola, we may get the first glimpse as to why he has decided that, after all:

*In Johto he used his full team. The show lampshades that he will face harder challenges without his more experienced Pokémon at the second gym.
*Ash states that he wants to participate on the Hoenn League with his new team only, because his older Pokémon may not be very well known on Hoenn. (that was the reason right?)
*Ash tells Dawn that he wants to train a new group of Pokémon for his Sinnoh-run, instead of relying on previous companions at the first gym.
*Ash claims that he wants to win the Kalos League with the 6 Pokémon he travelled around Kalos, and that's why his full team included the released Goodra.

So, there's still lots of time for Ash to make a statement regarding his previous Pokémon. Since they need to address that first, that would also cover the option of why Ash is not catching all strong Pokémon he comes across. But I think the real established reason is just the "Ash is a battler" mentality that this series has.

Since "Goh is a catcher", he represents Pokémon GO. Pokémon GO, by itself, goes against the language of the show- So Goh does indeed goes against it. I guess that Pokémon GO is more important than the previously set rules of the anime universe, so they are doing that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's not like the style of the anime ever lined up with anything else in the franchise. Obviously Pokemon Go players do even more catching, but even compared to the mainline games Ash catches very few Pokemon.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Since "Goh is a catcher", he represents Pokémon GO. Pokémon GO, by itself, goes against the language of the show- So Goh does indeed goes against it. I guess that Pokémon GO is more important than the previously set rules of the anime universe, so they are doing that.

It's not like the style of the anime ever lined up with anything else in the franchise. Obviously Pokemon Go players do even more catching, but even compared to the mainline games Ash catches very few Pokemon.
I guess it's because Goh is so 1:1 to his game of reference compared to Ash that it sticks out a bit to me, is what I was trying to say.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also, regarding game references, we just had the Fighting Dojo from Saffron in the anime, but this time much closer to the game versions than in previous anime appearances while basically ignoring them (no Terri, Karate Master has a new design and never met Ash before). It's kind of weird when we also get some episodes directly referencing previous series.

Oct 25, 2017
Pfft me and ash be on the same wavelength rarely do I go pass like at most 10 during my campaign journey lol

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Summary for the fossil episode has Ash and Go digging up fossils at a science museum. Sad that Alola is only a one parter.

Ep. 39 is the dream team again for the staff list.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Real out of the box returning character for the Bea rematch episode
Chuck, the gym leader, is back since Bea is at his gym atm

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
EhjIGsEVkAgsyef

Baby Kukui got revealed

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So they also seem to acknowledge that Lillie is still looking for Mohn. No way that isn't getting about episode dedicated to it right?

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Reports from Japan are coming in that the anime is moving time slot to Fridays at 18:55

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like the West, Friday evenings are a death slot.

Doesn't much matter- the Pokémon anime does most of its business in streaming and merch nowadays.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Doraemon, until earlier this year, took the Friday slot from 7pm on TV Asahi. It did great numbers there.

They may be going for the hole in the market there, especially as the other channels are pushing hard for Sundays now

Nov 25, 2019
Baby Kukui/Burnet is adorable, wasn't expecting to see them. Please let Ash carry his new sibling. please show how "big hugs Incineroar" interacts with the baby

So they also seem to acknowledge that Lillie is still looking for Mohn. No way that isn't getting about episode dedicated to it right?
I'm guessing that's the reason they keep referencing that. If Crown Tundra features the Ultra Beasts, they may have an episode to tie the DLC, this storyline and will allow Goh to catch some UB.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
are we sure he is kukui child?

I don't want to throw around baseless accusations, but I saw Burnet getting way too amicable with MR ROYALE.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I still wonder what the endgame for this anime is. Are there seasons? Are we just going to be on the Go catching everything train for the rest of time? Is this format tossed once the games visit a new region?

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We also have confirmation of the Anime moving to Fridays

Also seemingly have confirmation that Rotom Dex is pure Electric-type

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
MY HEART
This was the definition of wholesome, happiness, heartwarming, love 💕

We even got to see an update with Lillie, Ash was called big brother, Gou met everyone, we got a cameo of TR's mons, aaaaa it was so perfect

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, we are def getting a Mohn follow up episode, nice
Can't wait, I wonder if they're in the Galar region?

I like how Ash didn't think Lily would include him in her letter. He visibly flinched at his name. Very touching moment.

The baby was freaking adorable and Burnet called Ash big brother <3.

No goodbye scene leads me to the obvious that they will return to Alola.

Also Ash saying I'm home to Kukui...AHHHH I could just go on with this episode.

Wholesome to the max

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait, I wonder if they're in the Galar region?

I like how Ash didn't think Lily would include him in her letter. He visibly flinched at his name. Very touching moment.

The baby was freaking adorable and Burnet called Ash big brother <3.

No goodbye scene leads me to the obvious that they will return to Alola.
Yeah at the end they outright promise to go back there soon 🥰

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
What a wholesome episode, do wish we get more like this with other old pals in the future.

Was wondering if Gou had some secret move to hit back the Z-Move but the mad lad really went with ember? lol.

Still his little speech at the end was nice.

Nov 25, 2019
This episode was the worst and I hate Go just because he exists and eats crackers like he owns the Pokémon anime. He should've been burned by the Z-move.

f78bfa37e9b6e445cb5ab96150b9ca41.jpg

uso de!

I'm thankful I went into this episode with tempered expectations, I enjoyed it more that way. The writers tried to cram 3 episodes worth of storylines into a single episode, so the end result is really good considering that. The decision to not have multiple episode arcs keeps being bad, and it shows here.

I love the Alola cast, glad they at least got a line here. The continuity was amazing, loved how they put the Alolan family photo on the classroom for example. They all got a little moment there, and although I'd loved to see more of them, I have faith they are revisiting the region. Random tidbits I loved:

*Rotom being insulted that the Rotom Smartphone says it is only a Pokédex hahaha THAT THING SPENT 130+ episodes developing a character to be called a simple dex.
*Rocket's Alolan family having a small cameo. We still have hope.
*Lillie mentioning Ash on her letter. He was visibly surprised by that as well.
*Nagisa saving Raboot and Suiren leaving Goh hooked while she greets him.
*Goh was marvelous here all around, love how he is one of the few characters on the entire series that is uneasy around new people.
*Burnet telling Ash that he is a big brother was so cute and I cried.
*Ash remembering he has new companions and bringing them all.
*MOKUROH EATING LIKE A SLOB i love the lil orb owl
*Galarian Farfetch'd being scared of Togedemaru, she is very scary and intimidating.
*Kukui keeps being the father Ash never had.
*Yamper being useful with the Leaf Stone.
*MIYAZAKI GOD TIER MUSIC we finally hearing amazing music after so long

There are probably many details I'm missing, but I liked the episode. It's a shame we couldn't stay more episodes here. My only negatives is that I didn't like the "dreams are not achievable with others, you must do them on your own" bit, but I'm guessing/hoping it is part of early Goh thinking he can achieve everything by himself because he has no friends and that I wanted to see more of Alola.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like Goh a lot, but the episode structure is hurting his development. I don't think it would have killed them to do a two part like episode where it shows Goh's match to get Hitmonchan and then the next episode Ash finds out about Bea before they leave.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen it pointed out that the Sunday time slot had to do with why they've been shying away from two-parters and perhaps the new time slot might open up for more arc based episodes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I've seen it pointed out that the Sunday time slot had to do with why they've been shying away from two-parters and perhaps the new time slot might open up for more arc based episodes.
Really it's all nonsense people use to point out their issues with Journeys. Sun and Moon was in the same slot and we had literally the longest episode by episode arcs in the series so far lol