• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 25, 2019
JN032
An episode about Celebi that doesn't involve time travelling shenanigans (and gets barely featured?). That's something at least. Was a little meh episode after all. Go's backstory is nice, although the second part of the episode was... weird. He rage catches the same kind of Pokémon that he was running away from 2 years ago, and he finds his lost friend and it ends... I'm hoping we see Tokio again.

Opening
It was interesting, there are lots of great sequences, but many slideshows and reused footage too.

The Alolan cast minus Lillie is great to see, will they help Ash overcome his losing streak? They were all on different locations the last time, but I guess enough time has passed. I'm rioting if we don't see Kukui and Burnet's kid.

Raihan is finally here! His 5 seconds on the opening have more character and personality than the entire episode were his boring doppleganger appeared.

Go's officialy confirmed as Hop's substitute. Although I'm not sure why the Darkest Day is so soon, guess that's another thing they can try to do with the new anime. I really hope they make it work.

They keep teasing Koharu, even including Yamper on Ash's team. After 2 nice episodes with her, let's see if they can keep featuring the poor gal.

I almost closed the browser when Team Rocket appeared with the Rocket Gachat right on the middle. Guess I won't truly enjoy TR this series. At least they're not BW-level bad.

Galarian Farfecth'd has really cool potential with all those scenes, but they need to be translated into screentime on the episodes themselves. With Riolu hogging the episodes, Pikachu being needy and Gengar MIA, I'm not expecting much tho. And with the writers lack of ability of balancing Ash and Go, I'm expecting even less.

Flygon and Heracross apparently join Go's select group of "Pokémon that are not fodder and try to be characters". Very sad they're reusing a Heracross. What is Skwovet doing there? Cinderace coming soon, probably related to the random Marshtomp and Ludicolo scene (which is probably the evolution of the dancing Lombre).

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I really liked this episode actually and I'm glad there was no time travel shenanigans.

The preview implying Heracross is a love interest for Goh's Pinsir is something lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Mowing down grass with razor sharp attacks to find creatures to catch is the most "just turn your brain off to enjoy it" thing. Might as well torch the grass with a flame thrower to get them to come out lol.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Mowing down grass with razor sharp attacks to find creatures to catch is the most "just turn your brain off to enjoy it" thing. Might as well torch the grass with a flame thrower to get them to come out lol.
He's using pokemon moves to find pokemon in an area where he can't see any pokemon that are potentially hiding. It isn't as dumb as you imply it to be.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if the lawnmower only mildly inconvenienced the rats when you ran them over.

That's where the turn the logic off and accept it as a cartoon comment comes in. Gou literally mowing down their homes so he can abduct them lol. Dont get me started on how these moves are described as being capable of cutting pokemon into pieces in the lore.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's where the turn the logic off and accept it as a cartoon comment comes in. Gou literally mowing down their homes so he can abduct them lol. Dont get me started on how these moves are described as being capable of cutting pokemon into pieces in the lore.
given this is a series about capturing wild animals for the sake of arena fighting, it's par for the course

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Ah I see, I guess pokemon already stresses my suspension of disbelief so much already it didn't even phase me lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its not a big deal at all, just an amusing concession. Got no problem with Link breaking things in peoples houses to find rupees.

Aug 7, 2019
Not sure what we can really get out of an Alolan visit (which seems to be happening in September) with THOSE characters, Goh will meet them and all but need confirmation that TR will be in the cast list first...(Morpeko is also starting to turn into a Jigglypuff-esque figure @ep 33)

Aerodactyl can mega evolve, but I really don't need to see one with Ash unless his Charizard wants to kill it

Ash will also be battling Bea 2 vs 11 (might as well have made it 12)

Stoked to see Goh start catching legendaries >:) Goh not having a Pikachu in the OP raises an eyebrow however

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna see more fluid battles like this.
giphy.gif

Very Naruto-like, but damn it looks cool. Also highlights the contrast between the two fighting types battle styles.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Either aerodactyl breaks into the lab or someone def catches it. It looks pretty pissed par the course for the species.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely interpreted it as a Gohmon in the opening, also that isn't the lab.
Eh looks like it to me. It still has large windows without the designs on them in the dome. But if it's not I hope it's a Jurassic park type place. I love me some fossil Pokémon.

The opening was still pretty vague if Gou had it or not. It didn't come out of anyone's Pokéball nor was it really part of the attack against Gou. But yeah I wouldn't be at all surprised if he got it.

Edit: here's the trailer. Also can hear Satio

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I know I shit on Kanto focus sometimes but one of Goh's mainstays being BIG Magikarp kills me for some reason

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hey guys, would XY be a good place to start if I want to watch Pokemon with my kid and haven't seen the series since the very first one?

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hey guys, would XY be a good place to start if I want to watch Pokemon with my kid and haven't seen the series since the very first one?
Each series is a good start but yeah, start with XY and go on from there. These three sagas are the best ones they've had

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
XY-->SM-->JN does feel like the most consistent saga by saga continuation we've gotten since BW. It really does feel like Ash and Pikachu have been pretty consistent the whole way through. SM Ash is a big juxtaposition if you're not expecting his more laid back attitude but I'd argue early SM Ash does showcase maturity that people don't give him credit for. In retrospect, it does kinda make BW feel like the awkward in-between. I'm not knocking it per say it's just an observation I've made

It's just crazy to me that we're actually dealing with an Ash who is out to literally challenge the most powerful trainers in the world. Really makes me excited about this saga's late-game episodes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
XY-->SM-->JN does feel like the most consistent saga by saga continuation we've gotten since BW. It really does feel like Ash and Pikachu have been pretty consistent the whole way through. SM Ash is a big juxtaposition if you're not expecting his more laid back attitude but I'd argue early SM Ash does showcase maturity that people don't give him credit for. In retrospect, it does kinda make BW feel like the awkward in-between. I'm not knocking it per say it's just an observation I've made

It's just crazy to me that we're actually dealing with an Ash who is out to literally challenge the most powerful trainers in the world. Really makes me excited about this saga's late-game episodes.
I would say "Let's hope Ash catches Eternatus for some crazy late game stuff", but let's face it, Goh will

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It would be funny to have Ash become the kid with the totally OP team like Tobias was. Oh, you used 5 Pokémon to defeat my first unbeatable Pokémon, no worries, here is the second one.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It would be funny to have Ash become the kid with the totally OP team like Tobias was. Oh, you used 5 Pokémon to defeat my first unbeatable Pokémon, no worries, here is the second one.
I mean look at his Alola team

Pikachu
Incineroar
Rowlet
Lycanroc (Exclusive event form before SWSH)
Naganadel (Legendary Ultra Beast)
Melmetal (Mythical)

He's getting there haha

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
iirc Serebii said he had to deal with shippers on the forums. Its weird to think about how grown adults caring way too much about which 10 y/o characters are paired up.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair there are legit many kids on Serebii.

I was on it when I was 13. I was pretty mischievous though.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
iirc Serebii said he had to deal with shippers on the forums. Its weird to think about how grown adults caring way too much about which 10 y/o characters are paired up.
I think it was Archaic from Bulbapedia who, back in the day, convinced me to put a "Shippers" forum on the site, before he made Bulbapedia as he was an admin at Serebii. Shipper communities are so terrifyingly weird.

To be fair there are legit many kids on Serebii.

I was on it when I was 13. I was pretty mischievous though.
There's many more adults :p

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
I love how I always used Serebii as a source for info on Pokémon when I played and later told my kids that if they searched for something they should use a good source like Bulbapedia.

Couple of weeks ago my daughter said: dad, there is this really good site to use if you want to know stuff about moves etc. Serebii

:)

She's been playing/watching Pokémon for about 6 years now, completely bummed that Journeys is not out here in the Netherlands. So she is now watching it in Japanese with English subs. She's 10. Not native English but she understands it really well. (Paused the episode, let her read out the sub and tell me what it meant)

So now she's and improving her English reading and picking up some Japanese words. (Starts to call the Pokémon by their Japanese names as well)

Think I'm going to look into how to get her to learn a bit more Japanese.

I haven't seen much of Journeys yet, but have started watching SM from the beginnning.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I don't think shipping itself is inherently bad, but it does give way to some craziness pretty easily.

I do like a good shipping community implosion though like back when Naruto ended lmao

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just out of curiosity, how well does the anime do in terms of ratings?
Not as well as it used to with the overnight ratings, but it does a lot better in the other formats

Nowadays, TV Tokyo and TPC put the episodes region locked on Youtube. It's also immediately on Amazon and hulu plus there's TV Tokyo catch up & recordings too.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just out of curiosity, how well does the anime do in terms of ratings?

As far as tv ratings go, it doesn't make it to the top 10 anime anymore, so we generally don't even know how it's doing specifically compared to the second half of Sun and Moon (which was also mostly out of the top 10 too).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not as well as it used to with the overnight ratings, but it does a lot better in the other formats

Nowadays, TV Tokyo and TPC put the episodes region locked on Youtube. It's also immediately on Amazon and hulu plus there's TV Tokyo catch up & recordings too.
As far as tv ratings go, it doesn't make it to the top 10 anime anymore, so we generally don't even know how it's doing specifically compared to the second half of Sun and Moon (which was also mostly out of the top 10 too).

Yeah, that's kind of what I assumed. It seems the show has become very formulaic and repetitive, other than a new cast of side characters and Pokemon every few years.

I would love to see TPC partner with Netflix or something to do a different take on the anime - maybe a new series similar to Pokemon Origins (which most people seemed to love, myself included). Just something different.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that's kind of what I assumed. It seems the show has become very formulaic and repetitive, other than a new cast of side characters and Pokemon every few years.

I would love to see TPC partner with Netflix or something to do a different take on the anime - maybe a new series similar to Pokemon Origins (which most people seemed to love, myself included). Just something different.
It's not that it has bad ratings. It has bad overnight ratings. VOD ratings, views on various other media etc. are all high. Take youtube alone. On TPC's channel the episode that aired last week has almost 1 million views and 31k on TV Tokyo's channel. That's geolocked so people outside Japan can't easily access it too. Then add catch up, hulu, Amazon etc., it does well.

This saga and Sun & Moon are hardly formulaic and repetitive considering they all scrapped the structure that came before. SM being slice of life and Journeys being a weird amalgam.

Also, Origins was a 4 part special. You could cut an Ash saga down to 4 episodes like that and it be "epic and amazing" too. I personally don't rate Origins. I felt it was just too nostalgia heavy and beyond the nostalgia, it didn't really do anything new or different

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Origins is pretty bad for people who don't care for pokemon. if you never played the games, it's fucking terrible

now Twilight Wings. that's some good fucking pokemon

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that it has bad ratings. It has bad overnight ratings. VOD ratings, views on various other media etc. are all high. Take youtube alone. On TPC's channel the episode that aired last week has almost 1 million views and 31k on TV Tokyo's channel. That's geolocked so people outside Japan can't easily access it too. Then add catch up, hulu, Amazon etc., it does well.

This saga and Sun & Moon are hardly formulaic and repetitive considering they all scrapped the structure that came before. SM being slice of life and Journeys being a weird amalgam.

Also, Origins was a 4 part special. You could cut an Ash saga down to 4 episodes like that and it be "epic and amazing" too. I personally don't rate Origins. I felt it was just too nostalgia heavy and beyond the nostalgia, it didn't really do anything new or different

Well that's good that streaming seems to be doing well. I haven't watched any main episodes from the last 4-5 seasons, so I might start watching them again if the structure has been changed up a bit.
Origins is pretty bad for people who don't care for pokemon. if you never played the games, it's fucking terrible

now Twilight Wings. that's some good fucking pokemon

I actually recently watched this and I agree, it was very good. There were only like half a dozen episodes at ~5 minutes each though and I really wished it was longer.

Kind of gets back to what I was saying...I wish they would just create something different, maybe similar to Twilight Wings, but 10+ episodes at 20+ minutes in length. Put it on a streaming service or something, maybe commit to multiple seasons depending on interest. Just something longer.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well that's good that streaming seems to be doing well. I haven't watched any main episodes from the last 4-5 seasons, so I might start watching them again if the structure has been changed up a bit.
Yeah it has definitely changed up

Up to X & Y it was Ash travels region, meets people, battles gyms, completes league. Other main character participates in other goal which also takes a similar structure

Sun & Moon was slice of life in Alola. Ash joined a Pokémon school and the episodes were mostly day-to-day things and very random such as a random baseball episode etc., though it did end in a league

Current season is almost mimicking the sport anime style thing of Galar. Ash is focused on entering a league to beat some of the world's toughest trainers, takes him around the world. Secondary character Goh has a different goal of catching all Pokémon. This takes them around the world, not travellingh through a region. One week they're in Sinnoh, next Galar, next Unova, next Kalos etc.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel like we will get an episode that Serena and Lillie appear/return? [ship wars?]
Lillie returning feels like a no brainer since her arc with Mohn never really got a conclusion in Sun and Moon. Plus it'd be an opportunity to bring back Gladion as well for a rival battle.

As for Serena, wasn't she going to Johto to participate in Pokemon contests at the end of X/Y? MIght be fun to bring her back alongside Dawn and May for that and even have the three of them all be competing in the same contest