• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Hopefully, we'll see Ash aiming to catch more powerhouse type Pokemon from different region for some team diversity and go beyond just using six (and not all Kanto).

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I write the series off and the Ketchum wins the league in such an anti-climatic manner in a slice of life anime and also gets a Dragonite in the new series? All that being said, I still don't understand why they didn't just let him win the league in Kalos if they ended up moving towards a more Pokedex oriented show eventually.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ash winning the Alola League was miles more justified than him winning the Kalos League would have been. He won because he trained a bloody good team right from the beginning, rather than because one of his Pokémon got a nonsense power-up out of nowhere.

People really should watch the Kukui match, too.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ash winning the Alola League was miles more justified than him winning the Kalos League would have been. He won because he trained a bloody good team right from the beginning, rather than because one of his Pokémon got a nonsense power-up out of nowhere.

People really should watch the Kukui match, too.
The other competitors were using Megas, so I'd say it was fair.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I write the series off and the Ketchum wins the league in such an anti-climatic manner in a slice of life anime and also gets a Dragonite in the new series? All that being said, I still don't understand why they didn't just let him win the league in Kalos if they ended up moving towards a more Pokedex oriented show eventually.
He won against the Professor in probably one of the best Pokemon battle ever imo.

100% deserved, he played very well.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It was more than a Mega, it was a "if they get hurt I also get hurt because we're spiritually connected" Mega that nobody else in the world can use.
Megas were pretty rare and unique to the point where you would only see like one person using them anyways. It's not like it gave Ash an unfair advantage over them.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Megas were pretty rare and unique to the point where you would only see like one person using them anyways.
Diantha used it on her Gardevoir
Wulfric used it on his Abomasnow
Trevor used it on his Charizard
Alain used it on his Charizard
Astrid used it on her Absol
Lysandre used it on his Gyarados
Malva used it on her Houndoom
Meyer used it on his Blaziken
Jarvis used it on his Gengar (and many others)
Kimia used it on her Gardevoir
Siebold used it on his Blastoise

And since Kalos

Brock used it on his Steelix
Misty used it on her Gyarados
Ilima used it on his Kangaskhan

It's more common than you think

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Diantha used it on her Gardevoir
Wulfric used it on his Abomasnow
Trevor used it on his Charizard
Alain used it on his Charizard
Astrid used it on her Absol
Lysandre used it on his Gyarados
Malva used it on her Houndoom
Meyer used it on his Blaziken
Jarvis used it on his Gengar (and many others)
Kimia used it on her Gardevoir
Siebold used it on his Blastoise

And since Kalos

Brock used it on his Steelix
Misty used it on her Gyarados
Ilima used it on his Kangaskhan

It's more common than you think
I meant that in a you would be lucky to see more than one of each species sense.

You listed 14 trainers out off all the trainers we've seen. I don't see how Ash Greninja is unfair when it's basically just a Mega.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You forgot there was a Team Rocket dude in the Necrozma episode with Mega Aggron.

I really liked that scene because Kukui and Saboh were like "oh fuuuuck" and it came out of nowhere.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

His Kalos team was overall really high tier though - or at least they were portrayed like that before the league. His Noivern beat up a Zapdos and his Goodra just shrugged off everything in the battles it got. Pikachu had trained to beat a Mega and yet during the rest of XY and the beginning of XYZ his team seemed to be on its level or even higher. Then comes the league and suddenly they're all weak aside from Pikachu and Battle Bond Greninja. It really felt like they were overcompensating for how sidelined Pikachu had been for a while.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Megas were pretty rare and unique to the point where you would only see like one person using them anyways. It's not like it gave Ash an unfair advantage over them.

Dude he literally merged with his Pokemon to where it grew human hair with lightning bolt decals because ...pikachu? lol
It was his busted OC do not steal. Other trainers like Diantha comment on how "in sync" with his pokemon iirc, so yes it was a shounen protag powerup.
They even made it look like it was going to take on Diantha's main Pokemon before they lost their buff.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Dude he literally merged with his Pokemon to where it grew human hair with lightning bolt decals because ...pikachu? lol
It was his busted OC do not steal. Other trainers like Diantha comment on how "in sync" with his pokemon iirc, so yes it was a shounen protag powerup.
They even made it look like it was going to take on Diantha's main Pokemon before they lost their buff.
In the anime I'm pretty sure Greninja looking like him is a coincidence with a past Greninja looking the same rather than him merging with it.

Mega Evolution is a shounen power up type thing in general and Ash Greninja is the series giving Ash a way to compete against them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
In the anime I'm pretty sure Greninja looking like him is a coincidence with a past Greninja looking the same rather than him merging with it.

What do you even mean? its literally Ash's hair style with lightning bolt stamps and they share pain. Im not sure how that can be considered a coincidence.

As much as I think XY was one of the best seasons it def had some batshit stuff going on. The episode where Ash randomly goes through a cave mirror into an alternate dimension to meet bizarro Ash is a thing that happened and will never be referenced again.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Lance still be part of the G-men.

This is 100% proof thst the art direction of PM2019 is superior to SM and people shouldn't shit on it anymore. If you can translate 2009 Sugimori Art to this style and actually pull it off then something went right, SM wouldn't have been able to do this at all.
You forgot there was a Team Rocket dude in the Necrozma episode with Mega Aggron.

I really liked that scene because Kukui and Saboh were like "oh fuuuuck" and it came out of nowhere.
Thanks for reminding me that we got robbed of a Rainbow Rocket arc after the league, worse omission than the Sinnoh Frontier or B2W2 elements in BW.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So mr.mime is just straight up his now? I know it's more of a joint thing between him and delia, but it's definitely on his team currently?

gunning for riolu and some galar mon for his next catch btw

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
are Riolu and Grookey

So mr.mime is just straight up his now? I know it's more of a joint thing between him and delia, but it's definitely on his team currently?

gunning for riolu and some galar mon for his next catch btw
It always was his apparently.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I really hope for grookey too. I'm surprised the other starters haven't popped up yet.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Japanese materials have been listing Mr. Mime as Ash's for a decade.

This series is the first time we've seen him use it for battle

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Look at the the preview image it looks like this trip might have been a surprise to Ash from Go since he knows how much he likes battling. How cute

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 13 summary
After Daimaxing and growing huge, the Bite Pokémon "Kajirigame" runs wild?! Satoshi and Pikachu confront it, and then Pikachu's body starts getting shrouded in a red light?! Just what's going on?!

Summary:
Satoshi and Go have been watching a Pokémon battle tournament. But suddenly panic breaks out in the venue as the Bite Pokémon "Kajirigame" runs wild after Daimaxing and growing huge?! Satoshi and Pikachu confront the gigantic Kajirigame, but then Pikachu's body starts getting shrouded in a red light... Not only that, but the Champion Dande and Satoshi actually end up battling?! Satoshi uses Pikachu to go up against the undefeated Dande and his greatest partner Pokémon "Lizardon"!!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kenta Miyake: Lizardon
Noriaki Kanze: Hoshigarisu
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Yo Kitazawa: Danpei
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been following the thread that hard since Go started, but is there any serious thought that this will be Ash's last series and they're switching to Go, with the combined season to get people used to Go and try and head any resentment off?

Because introducing all this stuff with Champions and then pushing ash to their level would be the correct departure for the character. But then again, never bet on ash (plus I've found Go pretty unlikeable so far...)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How does Pikachu beat Charizard? that's like a battle of plot armour

I haven't really been following the thread that hard since Go started, but is there any serious thought that this will be Ash's last series and they're switching to Go, with the combined season to get people used to Go and try and head any resentment off?

Because introducing all this stuff with Champions and then pushing ash to their level would be the correct departure for the character. But then again, never bet on ash (plus I've found Go pretty unlikeable so far...)

Go sucks so far. He could have been a great counterpart but hes mostly just been tossing pokeballs at everything

by the time the anime gets to a Ash vs. Leon showdown, the Charizard favoritism should die down enough that Gigantamax Pikachu final flashing it shouldn't be controversial. Sinnoh remakes will probably be the current mainline games at the time anyways.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Still hate that movie ash looks like a superior anime ash, those gloves just give him that spark he needed, but I'm also reiterating that if the current artsyle can translate HGSS lance so damn well something went right.