• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The more I play Little Misfortune the more fantastic it is. I hope this doesn't fly under the radar, there's not even an |OT|. If I have time tonight I'll try to post one to get it some more attention.

You act as if they have a choice in the matter.

If low budget lifeless 3D if what you call this, what makes you think they had any ressources to make a proper 2D game lol ?

Budget 2d usually ends up looking a lot better than budget 3d.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
This is a sequel to Beneath a steel sky.

You can not reproduce that game with "low budget 2D".

Look, there are much smaller teams working on much smaller budgets putting out 2d adventure games. There is no way you are going to convince me they went 3d because they couldn't afford 2d.

They went 3d because a lot of the medium budget/big budget developers are still in the mindset that 3d sells better than 2d period. It's been a bad choice since Gabriel Knight 3 and it's still a bad choice for almost every adventure game series. I can't think of one adventure game series that went from 2d -> 3d and got better because of it.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Look, there are much smaller teams working on much smaller budgets putting out 2d adventure games. There is no way you are going to convince me they went 3d because they couldn't afford 2d.

They went 3d because a lot of the medium budget/big budget developers are still in the mindset that 3d sells better than 2d period. It's been a bad choice since Gabriel Knight 3 and it's still a bad choice for almost every adventure game series. I can't think of one adventure game series that went from 2d -> 3d and got better because of it.
Discworld Noir was better than either of the 2D entries, although that was more down to quality of writing than the 3D.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Case in point-
Jenny leclue
Miss fortune

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Duckman added in ScummVM

2554_4b73ab8d3080d.jpg

Jan 21, 2019
To all adventure sages. I am itching for an adventure game but I have no experience with the genre outside Grim Fandango, which I found way too hard. Can you recommend some games on PS4 that are less cryptic in terms of puzzle design, maybe with a mystery story (twin peaks vibes are welcome). Are the syberia games any good? I would also like a game with a interesting world.
I know my options are limited with a PS4 but maybe there is something I am overlooking.

Started playing Little Misfortune (love Fran Bow) and the writing and production values are fantastic, but disappointed it's one of these modern "adventure" games that are essentially visual novels with mild interaction and get rid of inventories and puzzle solving in favor of constantly moving forward.
That's acutally a little bummer, I'm not too much into that telltale-esque style, and Fran Bow had some nice gameplay ideas, like the chaning of the seasons for example.
To all adventure sages. I am itching for an adventure game but I have no experience with the genre outside Grim Fandango, which I found way too hard. Can you recommend some games on PS4 that are less cryptic in terms of puzzle design, maybe with a mystery story (twin peaks vibes are welcome). Are the syberia games any good? I would also like a game with a interesting world.
I know my options are limited with a PS4 but maybe there is something I am overlooking.
Broken Age, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (Works better if you know the story of the first one, tho.), Deponia, The Inner World.
King's Quest has a solid fanbase as well. (Did just a quick search, I don't now much about console ports, but there seems to be a surprising amount.)
Syberia is not my cup of tea, but the first two games are liked a lot. Just be cautious around the third one, that's not meant to be too good.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Is Unavowed available to you? It's pretty amazing, dripping in atmosphere and not cryptic in it's puzzles.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Thimbleweed Park fits most of your desires:

-Twin Peak like vibe
-Lot easier then Grim Fandango
-Available for PS4

The only caveat I would say is that the puzzles are not *easy*. They are a billion billion times better then Grim. Very logical, I never had puzzles where a solution was dumb like in Grim. But they're not easy.

Otherwise I'd ask whether you have access to windows/mac, as something like Kathy Rain, or Unavowed as Jon suggested have easy puzzles and the right vibe

Jan 21, 2019
Thimbleweed Park fits most of your desires:

-Twin Peak like vibe
-Lot easier then Grim Fandango
-Available for PS4

The only caveat I would say is that the puzzles are not *easy*. They are a billion billion times better then Grim. Very logical, I never had puzzles where a solution was dumb like in Grim. But they're not easy.

Otherwise I'd ask whether you have access to windows/mac, as something like Kathy Rain, or Unavowed as Jon suggested have easy puzzles and the right vibe

I will get a gaming PC one day, but for now, I will look into tumbleweed park, thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about integer scaling or nearest neighbor scaling in SCUMMVM pls.

..actually, that might be a good candidate for Nvidia's new integer scaling option.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Heads up, new Detective Grimoire game releasing next month, yeah the previous game was light and simple but I liked it
store.steampowered.com

Tangle Tower on Steam

Unravel a thrilling mystery by exploring a strange and twisted mansion, discovering curious clues, interrogating peculiar suspects and solving unique puzzles. Will you be able to uncover the secrets of Tangle Tower?

EDIT: If anyone is interested in playing the original flash game, consider using flashpoint

Downloads - BlueMaxima's Flashpoint

A webgame preservation project and archive.
Also what were some notable flash pnc games worth playing?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Started playing Little Misfortune (love Fran Bow) and the writing and production values are fantastic, but disappointed it's one of these modern "adventure" games that are essentially visual novels with mild interaction and get rid of inventories and puzzle solving in favor of constantly moving forward.

I mean I like visual novels, so I'm ok with visual novels, but I like actual puzzle solving adventure games more and it's a shame when another developer that did a real adventure game goes down this route. I'm guessing it's to have wider appeal. I mean the interface in Little Misfortune feels more made for a controller than a kb+m since you can't even see what is interactive until you stand next to it.

Or devs just feel like making good puzzles is tough and development goes quicker and smoother by just making an interactive story for the tale they want to tell.

I feel like they reaaaaally should've stayed 2d for this one. I love the original and don't have any interest in a low budget lifeless looking 3d sequel.
Yeah little missfortune is more of a spin-off in the same universe, as i followed the team a lot during their development i feel like they were just trying new things and not make a direct sequel right away. Also since their team went X3 times bigger it was a learning curve.

Im way more excited for Fran Bow 2 which should start pre-production soon!

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
The animations for that Beyond A Steel Sky preview vid are mostly placeholder. I'd hold off a bit before saying the game has "lifeless" visuals. The actual character models and environments look pretty good. If they polish up those animations before release it'll be good imo.

I've been playing through Jenny LeClue and the game is fantastic. It could stand to be a bit more challenging but it's funny, making deductions is fun and it's impeccably polished. Seems like it's kinda getting overlooked, though. Hopefully some reviews start rolling in and give the game the exposure it deserves. Think I'm about halfway through. Gonna finish it up tn.

I played through Little Misfortune as well and it was alright. I enjoyed it well enough for it's brief 2 hour playtime but it was a big step down from Fran Bow imo. Only an occasional ultra simple puzzle or mini game for interactivity and the choices matter less than almost any branching narrative adventure game I've played. The artwork is great and I liked Misfortune as a character but I was expecting more from Killmonday.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I liked Little Misfortune, but it's definitely more of an interactive cartoon than an adventure game.

I might have been more disappointed if I didn't know Fran Bow 2 was in development somewhere. I'm very happy with Misfortune as a side-story but it'd have been a let down as a sequal.

All that retro talk before made me remember that I wanted to grab the old freeware game Teenagent for a while now. Boy, I shouldn't have.
It wasn't even a good game during its release time, I'd say. Your actions hardly make sense most of the time. It doesn't help that your character doesn't realy give useful comments, and sometimes you have to click on something multiple times to get what you need. On top of that you have a bit of pixelhunting here and there.
The story is a product of its time: Your teenage boy accepts to become a special agent because he's promised that will get him girls. Nice. Later on you encounter a girl and his interactions with her are absolutely cringy.
Length is 3-4 hours, but there are surely better free games out there to spend your time with. Flight of the Amerzon Queen for example. Seriously, that one's amazing, go grab it!

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Yup, great read. It's pretty interesting how the perception of the game has changed over the years — wish it wasn't so difficult to get ahold of.
There are secondhand copies out there for not much money, but I hear the bigger challenge is geting it to run on modern systems.

It's a fantastic game, too - really deserves a proper re-release. Probably my favourite out of the late 90s/early 2000s 3D titles.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Yup, great read. It's pretty interesting how the perception of the game has changed over the years — wish it wasn't so difficult to get ahold of.
There are secondhand copies out there for not much money, but I hear the bigger challenge is geting it to run on modern systems.

It's a fantastic game, too - really deserves a proper re-release. Probably my favourite out of the late 90s/early 2000s 3D titles.
Unfortunately the only way to run games from this time period properly is within a virtual environment (DOSBox, VirtualBox or PCem) and a full emulated version of Windows 95/98 which will probably never be possible to be legally released. If only there was a collection chamber on the internet where such old and forgotten, notoriously difficult to run games were offered for download, ready to be installed on modern OSes.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
It's actually pretty easy to get Discworld Noir running on Windows 10 with the LOMA patch. I played through the game earlier this year. It's really good.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Finally got around to play LSL: Wet Dreams dont Dry.
I know the game got decent to good reviews but I was still surprised how much I liked it. Stayed true to the old games while successfully updating to a new era. Humour was kind of all over the place but it got better as it went along and some good funny twists towards the end and lots of references to past games.
The puzzles were pretty good with lots of inventory puzzles and crazy combinations and solutions.
Enjoyed it more than Reloaded (and Magna Cum Laude of course).

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The only point and click adventure that i ever played was this (also my first pc game with pod)
f5f45cc4-b1f2-4e9f-b97e-66715dffee17.jpg

Do someone remember this game?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to play LSL: Wet Dreams dont Dry.
I know the game got decent to good reviews but I was still surprised how much I liked it. Stayed true to the old games while successfully updating to a new era. Humour was kind of all over the place but it got better as it went along and some good funny twists towards the end and lots of references to past games.
The puzzles were pretty good with lots of inventory puzzles and crazy combinations and solutions.
Enjoyed it more than Reloaded (and Magna Cum Laude of course).
Intrigued!
The only point and click adventure that i ever played was this (also my first pc game with pod)
f5f45cc4-b1f2-4e9f-b97e-66715dffee17.jpg

Do someone remember this game?
Yes, its like Goblins series (but worse, imho)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The only thing that i remember from that game was the very good soundtrack and atmosphere. (Also the hilarious voice of the protagonist)

Oh my gosh... Orion Burger was far too difficult for me, I lost interest pretty quick. This reseting of the world was nerve wrecking. I had a walkthrough later, but I can't remember if I played it with that or just read it cause I didn't care enough anymore.

We also have Woodroof lying around somewhere, but it never looked/sounded too appealing to me to give it a try.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Orion Burger was a little to weird for me back then and I never really liked its art direction. I wonder if I might enjoy it today but it's probably impossible to find anyway.

The Riddle of Master Lu was fantastic though. Shame they never got to do a sequel.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just started Unavowed yesterday. Why didn't anyone tell me how good this was? That's a lie. Everyone told me how good this was.

Brassheart looks/sounds like something for my wishlist. :3

The Riddle of Master Lu was fantastic though. Shame they never got to do a sequel.
My parents loved it. I only played the beginning and didn't like it very much, can't really remember why though. I think, you had to climb back a wall, you just came from for a puzzle, and that kinda threw me off.
Every now and then I think about if I should give it another try.

Does Bud Tucker in Double Trouble ring a bell?
I remember it as a quite fun and quite long game. Also funny and weird. It had some serious pixel hunting going on, though. It was back in the day, when you couldn't just look up a walkthrough, and my mom spent days searching every screen, until she found a one pixel big item on the ground, we needed to proceed.

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018

Orion Burger is a cool hidden gem and the video is good overall but he got me tight citing the "wash car to make it rain" puzzle from DoTT as a leap without signposting. If you look at the car in the present with Bernard he totally says "some people say washing your car makes it rain." it's one of the most clearly signposted puzzles in the game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Day of the Tentacle does a good job at signposting for clearing its puzzles IMHO. It does that very well and is deserving of praise.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finally got around to playing and finishing LOOM, 25+ years after first seeing it at the school library. It was...not what I expected 😂 I enjoyed it but it took a real dark turn towards the end.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Finally got around to playing and finishing LOOM, 25+ years after first seeing it at the school library. It was...not what I expected 😂 I enjoyed it but it took a real dark turn towards the end.
Yuuuup. I personally pref. The non voiced ver. But it is an interesting game on the less.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Did anyone ever play any of Nancy Drew mystery adventure games? They released them pretty steadily for more than a decade up until a few years ago, when the studio seemed to run into financial trouble and I think some very questionable/sketchy decisions on the part of the studio's leadership. Kotaku actually ran a great story about the whole saga about a year ago, I think.

Anyway, the long-awaited next game in the series is supposedly coming out in December, after multiple delays and lots of frustration from series fans. As someone who played and loved all of those games when I was younger, I'm just very curious to see how things actually play out with that series.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Did anyone ever play any of Nancy Drew mystery adventure games? They released them pretty steadily for more than a decade up until a few years ago, when the studio seemed to run into financial trouble and I think some very questionable/sketchy decisions on the part of the studio's leadership. Kotaku actually ran a great story about the whole saga about a year ago, I think.

Anyway, the long-awaited next game in the series is supposedly coming out in December, after multiple delays and lots of frustration from series fans. As someone who played and loved all of those games when I was younger, I'm just very curious to see how things actually play out with that series.
Yes, I wrote about my feelings about the series here. I love those games. They are a completely unique. They are not perfect (or sometimes not even "good games") by any means, but damn, are they fascinating, sometimes downright bizarre and just plain entertaining.

I don't think the new game is going to be able to capture that special vibe the series had going since they basically let go of all the old staff and in particular replaced the voice actress Lani Minella who voiced Nancy in all of the over thirty games.

The new game might even be a better game from an objective "game design" standpoint, but I fear it's going to be much more streamlined and bland and boring and completely lose what made the Nancy Drew series so unique. We'll see...

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Last edited: