• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
theres a ton, for real. I recommend the ones in early to mid 2007. Sure you have to deal with Darren Gladstone on them (prone to interrupting people, trying to get the last word) but it was still at a very good mix of games and ridiculous fun. Eventually the games stuff really fell to the wayside and it was more about pure griefing, which I love, but it was very different once Darren moved on and they picked up some new blood like Chuf
Chuf Love was some good shit. Those were the days, man.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
They've been in a real rut lately. I feel like the last four or five eps have all ended with them saying "welp that was a bad episode oops."
There's an off putting desperation in most episodes now to strike on a funny bit.

Just a general feeling of "Is this funny? Well how about this? No? Fuck. Okay next thing".

Both the flagship McElroy podcasts feel like they're hanging on by their fingertips

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Maddy was actually great on the episodes she guested on before becoming a full cast member, but once she did, she very quickly showed how much of a "who really knows why this thing is the way it is, certainly not me, so we might as well just stop talking about" attitude she has. She does it on every single episode of the podcast, and it just kills the discussion.
Not really sure what you mean. She doesn't want to speculate?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
RadioLab used to be my favorite podcast by a wide margin, but a few years ago they started doing a lot less science-y stuff and a lot more This American Life-ish human interest bullshit. I like TAL, but I didn't want more of it from RL.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
same with rebel fm. shocked thats still going. cant imagine whos listening to that at this point.

Me!!! I still look forward to it every Saturday. Anthony, Arthur and Matt are awesome people (James is alright as well I guess ;) ) and I love listening to them discuss games. It's still as good as it ever was imo. They also talk a lot about obscure indie games that I would never have heard about otherwise that no other podcast ever talks about. The music special they do every year is one of my podcast highlights.

I have definitely fallen off The Comedy Button, though. Used to listen every week, now it's maybe once a month if the episode description sounds interesting enough or they have a guest on. I always check out the episodes Anthony returns for though. They never disappoint.

Last edited:

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I used to really like The Flop House, but eventually it just seemed like they would spend less and less time actually talking about whatever movie the episode was for. One of the last episodes I remember listening to was around two hours, and they maybe spent 30 minutes on the actual movie. The rest of it was just Elliott doing his shtick, which can be really grating if not unchecked.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post Dan Bombcast was devesgating. I like Ben but the show needs some energy and heart to offset the grizzled gaming vets. I get that they have more industry insight than most but Idgaf about their equipment, the town they live and work on, and how e3 has changed. I need more enthusiasm about games and we've reached the point to where it's clearly just a job to them and it's very rare for their ramblings to resonate with fans.

Brad's still hot tho.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Judging by its now two month long hiatus, I think Boston's Favorite Son may have dodged this fate and had a fun year long run.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
What happened to all the good videogame podcasts and videocasts?

They all disappeared all of a sudden.
The Besties just came back, and I am really, really enjoying it. Unfortunately, it is only on Spotify, but I just use the app on my phone to listen while driving.
Yeah, that's a big one for me. Kind of funny, because I burned out when they were playing Monster of the Week, and yet that podcast is why I started playing MOTW.

I still really like the boys and their content, just not that one anymore. MBMBAM is sort of in a rut, but I still enjoy it plenty enough to keep listening.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I used to really like The Flop House, but eventually it just seemed like they would spend less and less time actually talking about whatever movie the episode was for. One of the last episodes I remember listening to was around two hours, and they maybe spent 30 minutes on the actual movie. The rest of it was just Elliott doing his shtick, which can be really grating if not unchecked.
Elliott can be so funny but he's really ramped up on tormenting Dan. I remember a recent episode where Dan sounded so frustrated I really felt for him. If I remember right he basically just gave up on trying to get his point across because he kept getting interrupted--not the best for a podcast where we want to hear all three.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
They've been in a real rut lately. I feel like the last four or five eps have all ended with them saying "welp that was a bad episode oops."

I stopped listening to MBMBaM a while ago and have been trying to catch up (I'm in the early 400s now) and every episode has ended with "okay we've recorded for exactly an hour, we can stop now" or "well, sorry this one wasn't funny, tune in next time I guess". Hearing that they're still doing this isn't exactly encouraging me to keep going.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsubscribing to a show I've listened to for years feels like breaking up with a person who doesn't even know I exist.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Crate and Crowbar suffered after it lost two of its main cast a couple of years ago, but I came back to it recently and Marsh is back on it so things are maybe looking up? But Tom Francis leaving is a big blow.
I generally am fine with leaving podcasts behind, they change, especially if they get super successful or people leave, and sometimes the changes make it feel like a different show and so I take a break or give it up for good. There are always new shows to discover.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, yeah. I usually just listen to half or less of the podcast (the actual movie discussion) and delete it after that.
Sometimes the emails can be good, but it's not why I'm coming to the podcast.

I don't mind it, I still like the movie discussions even if the ripping on Dan can get a bit much at times.

I feel like that's something a lot of comedy podcasts do: they get a shtick but then run it into the ground by dou long down in it or repeating the same joke over and over. Like treating Dan like shit on Flop House or back when I listened to Comedy Button the stuff like the racoon joke.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
CAGcast was broken when that clown started telling his listeners to buy Microsoft stock because of the Xbox One.

Welll.....

3a06ee3db6.png

Oct 25, 2017
It was perfect.

...except when TJ Miller and Pete Holmes were on stage together. DLM is in no small part responsible for my long-held hatred of TJ Miller even before he was outed as a massive jerk.

I feel this way about that one Marc Maron and Kumail Nainjani episode. I'm okay with Maron, but I cannot stand Nainjani (who, unlike TJ Miller, seems to be a perfectly nice person, but who represents a black hole of charisma as far as I'm concerned).

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I love Phil, but I share this same sentiment toward Alex Navarro on the Giant Beastcast. His "humor", which amounts to "I'm going to say this thing from Seinfeld that was funny on Seinfeld", drives me up the wall to the point where the cringe is so strong that I just have to turn it off some weeks. I'll still listen to every episode all the way through when Alex isn't on the show, but more than not liking his humor, I just hate that he constantly talks over everyone and will constantly try to finish their thoughts/sentences, even when that was not at all where they were going with their comments. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Alex Navarro. I think he's a great follow on Twitter, he's probably the best writer left on that site (not that that amounts to a lot anymore), and I don't mind him on Quick Looks, but he's said a number of times that he doesn't listen to podcasts, and you can really tell that's true. It's like someone being a musician who doesn't listen to music. You just can't be good at something you don't enjoy.
Yeah, he just doesn't have a good natural comedic rhythm, which is a shame because he tries to be funny A LOT. It's also weird because he has a habit of occasionally shutting down potential comedic bits that aren't to his taste. I still like him, but his attempts at humor can be rather cloying.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
theres a ton, for real. I recommend the ones in early to mid 2007. Sure you have to deal with Darren Gladstone on them (prone to interrupting people, trying to get the last word) but it was still at a very good mix of games and ridiculous fun. Eventually the games stuff really fell to the wayside and it was more about pure griefing, which I love, but it was very different once Darren moved on and they picked up some new blood like Chuf

I remember there being quite a few tense moments with Darren and Shawn, it often seemed like they weren't big fans of each other. I always wondered what the deal was there.

Personally I felt like they found their footing after Darren left, the stretch after Anthony and Bobito became regulars was the best part of the show's run. I'm not sure what you mean by "pure griefing," it's been years since I've listened to the show but Shawn definitely used to tell stories about him and Rory trolling people while Darren was around, and I remember much more time being devoting to Anthony's dating life, Robert's traveling stories, Shawn's childhood, and other stuff like that than griefing.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
While I think the podcast still has tons of steam left in it as a regular listener to Not Another D&D Podcast the bonus campaign they do monthly feels like it should have wrapped up and become a new things after awhile. It's not because Caldwell is a bad DM or anything. Far from it he's really good at it. It's just the story of the campaign wasn't so hot once it went from fun monthly adventures to somewhat more serious story of a man trying to kill gods every month. Granted maybe it's picked up again haven't listened to the last 4 episodes so maybe they turned it around. Also this could very well just be me missing the highs of some of the earlier episodes haha. The early parts of the bonus campaign were top tier comedy D&D for awhile.

Swindled is another podcast that I think is running out of steam recently. But I think that's cause the person doing the podcast is stretching themselves thin. heck I'm pretty sure they have a patreon version of the podcast that they are doing as well and the show got dropped for a while so that the creator could focus on that.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
HDTGM seems like it's best days are behind it. I think Paul, Jason and June are sick of it as well.

I recently went to a live Doughboys show and it's amazing to see so many enthusiastic fans for a self-described "bad podcast". Five forks!

Action Boyz has been great since day one and is easily my favorite. Cant wait to hear them cover Rumble in the Bronx on Monday.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I think the podcast still has tons of steam left in it as a regular listener to Not Another D&D Podcast the bonus campaign they do monthly feels like it should have wrapped up and become a new things after awhile. It's not because Caldwell is a bad DM or anything. Far from it he's really good at it. It's just the story of the campaign wasn't so hot once it went from fun monthly adventures to somewhat more serious story of a man trying to kill gods every month. Granted maybe it's picked up again haven't listened to the last 4 episodes so maybe they turned it around. Also this could very well just be me missing the highs of some of the earlier episodes haha. The early parts of the bonus campaign were top tier comedy D&D for awhile.

Swindled is another podcast that I think is running out of steam recently. But I think that's cause the person doing the podcast is stretching themselves thin. heck I'm pretty sure they have a patreon version of the podcast that they are doing as well and the show got dropped for a while so that the creator could focus on that.
The Flint Water Crisis episode was amazing, and that was the season finale

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see so many people echo the same thoughts about the Bombcast. I can't tell if they became more jaded and cynical over time or if my tolerance for negativity and cynicism about video games faded. I do know that Jeff Gerstmann's random hangups about things like anime and Transformers wore pretty thin over time. It makes me appreciate Easy Allies so much more since they are able to bring so much genuine enthusiasm.

Jeff loves anime now

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The Flint Water Crisis episode was amazing, and that was the season finale
Flint was great but I think it was one of 3 stand out episodes in a season of pretty meh episodes for me. Granted could also be that I wasn't a fan of the scam artists he choose to cover this season. there material was good but the people stories either fell flat for me or I found myself thinking that the episode was not appropriate for the scale of the topic they choose to cover (Specifically it was The Survivor episode that made me feel like it should have been left on the draft table.).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Don't worry...i've been listening to P1P for over 630 episodes. I came for the game talk and stayed because of your jokes and chemistry with the other guys.
Phil! We love you man. Episode 666 was one of the best podcast eps ever.
Keep it up man, some of us do appreciate it 😁
If nothing else, I take comfort in knowing that I am a greater negative than Greg is a positive.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's an off putting desperation in most episodes now to strike on a funny bit.

Just a general feeling of "Is this funny? Well how about this? No? Fuck. Okay next thing".

Both the flagship McElroy podcasts feel like they're hanging on by their fingertips

It's weird, because I've been enjoying both MBMBAM and TAZ just fine lately, but a lot of people are complaining. I'm grabbing tickets to see them do MBMBAM in a month or two and I'm excited for that.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Lore.

I think they're tapped on stories to tell that are interesting. I used to love it, but the stories have gotten progressively more boring or are too complex to condense into a 30 minute podcast. Unobscured was born out of this, though, and that's really pretty awesome.

Also Phil from P1P is a treasure.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
When Anthony left I stopped listening and even then I found myself playing catchup most of the time because I couldn't be fucked to listen weekly.

I had been a long time listener -- I had followed the GFW Live and 1up Yours/FM crew for years but... I don't know. Right around 2016 I felt it was time to stop. I haven't listened to any of those guys in years even though I loved their work for so long. Rebel FM, The Comedy Button, The Geekbox, Good Job Brain! I just sort of stopped cold turkey.

Night Vale I don't think needs to stop or anything, I just wish it was as good as it used to be. Thankfully the latest season of The Adventure Zone is a return to form after Amnesty, so at least there is that. I don't think any of the McElroy shows are really showing their age. They are easily my favorite casts and I still listen weekly. I think I've listened to every single MBmBaM at this point and am not tiring of it in the slightest.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to Nightvale feels like the poster child for this thread.

I stopped listening to it at episode 50, can't even believe it's still going as it didn't seem the kind of podcast that was meant to last.

Hello From the Magic Tavern once it shifted from improvised fantasy word building to tortured pop culture references.

Oh god, YES. I loved the early episodes and remember crying from laughter at the Flower introduction. But those real life references became too much too quickly.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this show would gain sooo much more energy is they just were honest with themselves and went to once a month they put out an episode.

I get that it cuts the revenue stream of having a bunch of content for the likes of patrion, but the podcast itself would have sooo much more content and energy if they waited for their once a month meetup.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I fell off all of the IGN podcasts 2.5 years ago (except the UK show), Comedy Button 2 years ago and Giant Bomb/Beastcast maybe 6 months ago. Like a poster said above, it feels like these shows lost any enthusiasm they used to have.

Replaced the listening time with Horror Queers, We Hate Movies and Dead Meat
Lovely to see another WHM fan. :D

I'll have to check out the other two you mentioned based on your WHM love and my horror love. :p

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm a little bit down on Hardcore History right now because I'm not really feeling his Supernova in the East series, though there has been some good stuff in there. I remember during the last episode, I was listening at the gym when I got to some part about nurses being raped and murdered, and I thought "I just don't want to do this right now, I don't need this" and I turned it off. I know that's what HH has always been, but I don't know, maybe I'm changing.

I did come back later and finish the episode.

I'm looking forward to Dan Carlin wrapping this one up and changing topics. His last HH addendum got me really excited about the possibility of an Alexander series.

I have the same thing with Carlin on some of the tangents he goes on. I remember one with the Persian series where he was on a tangent for like two hours and I was just mentally screaming "get on with it already!" The last Supernova episode seemed off to me as he kind of switched from telling the Japanese story to one more about the Western players. I still enjoy the overall content greatly but he does has his moments where I don't want to listen any more

More than anything though I just wish he put out his episodes quicker. I know he's busy with lots of things but he's only doing two episodes a year now. Right now I'm guessing Supernova goes for 5 episodes and 21-22 hours total, I would much rather have 7 episodes at 3 hours each just to keep the story moving better.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lore.

I think they're tapped on stories to tell that are interesting. I used to love it, but the stories have gotten progressively more boring or are too complex to condense into a 30 minute podcast. Unobscured was born out of this, though, and that's really pretty awesome.

Also Phil from P1P is a treasure.
Lore stopped being about folklore years ago and transitioned into Victorian era ghost stories. I tapped out then.

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
There are two that come to mind for me, Last Podcast on the Left and Uhh Yeah Dude.

Last Podcast has some pretty good episodes but it's not often, that might just be my taste though. I'm really happy that they are able to live off the podcast and have a really successful Patreon so they can focus on the podcast more but I feel like it's hindered it too. They are producing more and more episodes to fulfill the Patreon rewards and it's a bit too much. They're gonna have to dig really deep into some history books because I don't know how much more serial killers, witches and occult stuff they can find to cover without re-covering past episodes.

Uhh Yeah Dude is probably my favorite podcast. I haven't listened to it in years. I don't think it's a podcast a lot of people know about but it's the prototypical "current news with a funny spin" type of podcast but the hosts (Jonathan Larroquette and Seth Romatelli) are such good friends and open about their personal lives. Talking about their own mental issues and past addictions in such a funny and charming way, but after so long it becomes routine. Kind of like the McElroy podcast issues people have stated earlier. Maybe I should go back and see what they've been up to, it's definitely been long enough.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to say it but... Probably Podquisition when Gav left.

Don't get me wrong. I love Jim, I love Laura, I love Conrad, I love Spin-off Doctors and Dice Funk. I'm not one of those weirdos who minds when they go off topic or discuss politics (in part because I'm a lefty myself). But something about the certain type of chemistry when the three are together feels ..... Off. Whereas it used to be easy listening now it's just a bit too hyper and not in a comedic way either. Of course, I haven't listened in over a month, maybe two, so perhaps they've found their stride now. But those first few weeks were... Just off. They really needed someone calm like Gavin to step in for, well, Gavin. Clearly didn't need to be as calm, given I felt a number of the guest episodes leading up to Gavin leaving were great. I just dunno.

If anyone listening still can tell me if it's improved at all, do let me know.

Same. I used to really enjoy Podquisition, but now it feels like such a chore to listen to. I don't really like Conrad at all - I find him too cynical and snarky. I only listened to a handful of episodes after he came on board and then I gave up.

I like a healthy dose of cynicism in my gaming stuff - but between the three of them together, it just feels like too much sometimes.