• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here listening to The Podcast for Laundry? It's a show by the comedian Brett Davis, where he attempts to share his love of laundry with various NYC comedian guests. It's pretty great, especially when the guest realizes how stupid the idea is and pits themself against the host. The first episode has Tom Schlarping of the Best Show, so you can listen there for an overall vibe.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations on podcast players - android for me - looking for something lightweight that i can download for offline use

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can anyone recommend a good podcast covering Egyptian history? I'm looking to pick up AC Origins in the next couple weeks, so it's a good opportunity to address my ignorance about that time period.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Who else listens to The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder? I have been a listener for years and I would love to hear from ERA about current trends in the "lefty" podcasts

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations on podcast players - android for me - looking for something lightweight that i can download for offline use
I use Player.FM. I've tried out a few and they all have their pros and cons but I really like Player.FM. It just works how it should, no problems, no unnecessary features cluttering the app. Good layout, subscriptions feeds work and the developers are great at providing information about updates.

Last edited:

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Found this one
https://egyptianhistorypodcast.com
Haven't listened to it yet, though
Thanks. I did a quick search on Google and this seemed to be the most common recommendation, both because it's a thorough examination of Egyptian history from the perspective of Egyptians at the time, and because it's the only podcast that thoroughly examines Egyptian history from the perspective of Egyptians at the time. So... not much choice here, ha.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here listen to Bracket? It's my favorite low-key/lesser known podcast. It's probably an acquired taste, but the humor, chemistry, and premise really clicks with me

titch

Oct 25, 2017
I use Player.FM. I've tried out a few and they all have their pros and cons but I really like Player.FM. It just works how it should, no problems, no unnecessary features cluttering the app. Good layout, sibscriptions feeds work and the developers are great at providing information about updates.

Cheers!! Stuck it on but it didnt seem to return as many results when doing a keyword search - will still have a play around with it tho

Pocket Casts

And if you're so inclined they have a browser based version for $9.

Unfortunately my phone is too old for it :(

Had my first run listening to a triathlon podcast - not sure it made anything easier and if anything not listening to the beat of music probably didnt drive me on as much mind you i am a bit of a plodder anyway. Defo going to try some more as i know if i found a really good podcast then id happily listen to it on the run. More_Badass i think you have a podcast convert!!!!

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Dirty John. At first I wasn't sure I would stick with it but the story and craziness escalated pretty quickly.

18-dirty-john.w710.h473.jpg

Debra Newell is a successful interior designer. She meets John Meehan, a handsome man who seems to check all the boxes: attentive, available, just back from a year in Iraq with Doctors Without Borders. But her family doesn't like John, and they get entangled in an increasingly complex web of love, deception, forgiveness, denial, and ultimately, survival. Reported and hosted by Christopher Goffard from the L.A. Times.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Damn that's a big list, recommend stuff you should know highly. One for the brits is the Elis and John podcast from radio x, they're my fave people ever

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread, I already subscribe to waaay more podcasts than I have time to listen to and this thread is probably going to make that increase. So much stuff to browse here. Y can't I hold all these podcasts.

kansai_mish

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Spooked by Snap Judgement has been a fun listen(hoping it will get a 2nd season).

This!!! Spooked is great and the music/bgm adds a lot to the atmosphere.
Definitely would recommend people listen to some Spooked this Halloween.

For anyone looking for strictly leftist podcasts.
Thank you!

I really like horror and sciencey podcasts. This list is going to be so helpful when there's down time at work, heheh.
I use Pocket Casts.

Also, can't help myself. Here are a few I've gotten into recently:

Astonishing Legends
Just listened to their episode on the The Coral Castle. Never new about it until now. Strange stuff.

Haunted Places
New podcast with only a few episodes, but their recent one, Marie Laveau's Cottage, was creepy.

The Nod
New podcast from Gimlet Media exploring various aspects of Black life.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread fully expecting to not having heard a few podcasts I listen to but they are already covered and much more. damn it looks like I will be getting back into podcasts again to discover all the new ones posted.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here to contribute with my favorite STAR WARS podcast. I listen to several more but this is a good place to enter.

Blast Points - This is probably my favorite. No bs high-horsing about prequels or EU or 'Disney' (Lucasfilm). These two long time friends love it all and talk about it all with warmth, humour and an easy-going very like-able goofy friendly fun style. In touch with all the ongoings of the franchise and the fandom. Gets into news and usually a great obscure topic QVC home shopping network specials taking a deep dive to places only Star Wars can go.

Last edited:

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Guys guys, stop posting so much stuff :)

I hardly know where to turn with the subjects ive thought of then you go posting about how great a podcast is from another genre that interests me...

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is one incredible thread

My favourite podcast Ive discovered this year has to be The Dollop. One of the funniest podcasts I've listened to. I guess in a nutshell they take strange nuggets of American (and occasionally Australian) history and one resells it to the other who essentially reacts and makes jokes. It works because they are two genuinely hilarious guys and the choice of material is always fantastic

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Guys guys, stop posting so much stuff :)

I hardly know where to turn with the subjects ive thought of then you go posting about how great a podcast is from another genre that interests me...
Podcasts are like books or indie games, in that there are so many and get so niche that you can find one for pretty much any interest you have. The history of the English language from Indo-European origins to now? A podcast that analyzes the Star War movies literally one minute at a time? Series that focus specifically on machine learning or exoplanets or true crime/legal discussion from the perspective of a forensic psychologist? A miniseries about the socioeconomic impact of global trade or the historical context/inspirations of Hitchcock's Psycho?

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Podcasts are like books or indie games, in that there are so many and get so niche that you can find one for pretty much any interest you have. The history of the English language from Indo-European origins to now? A podcast that analyzes the Star War movies literally one minute at a time? Series that focus specifically on machine learning or exoplanets or true crime/legal discussion from the perspective of a forensic psychologist? A miniseries about the socioeconomic impact of global trade or the historical context/inspirations of Hitchcock's Psycho?

Yeah something i've learned pretty quickly. We have access to so much 'entertainment' now its ridiculous. Video games, movies, tv shows, books and now throwing podcasts into the mix. If i ever say on here im bored it should be an insta ban :D

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Glad to see a thred like this, as Im an avid listener of podcasts to help keep passing time while I work. As such I'll leave my personal list of the ones I listen (In order of day I listen to them) with short descriptions of why I like them and see if any one of them strikes your fancy.

Monday;

Solomonster Sound Off: Every week Jason Solomon (aka The Solomonster) takes a look the the current ongoings on the Professional Wrestling bussines. It has some nice produciton values and Solomonster's commentary is always funny to listen to. A good source for Pro Wrestling New, WWE recaps and much more.

Weekly Manga Recap: Chris "RolloT" Larios and Nik "Yruleroftime" Freeman take a look at the newest issue of Weekly Shonen Jump (and some non SJ titles) and give their thoughts about it. It also ocationally features Manga reveiws with their particular style of humor. In my opinion the best way to keep up with SJ if you dont have that much time to read each individual issue.

Suplex City Limits: Another Pro Wrestling podcast, hosted by Jim Vicious and Tyler Fudge. They talk more casually about the week in Pro Wrestling while also getting high as fuck, which leads to some hilarious commentary. It's also the only podcast I've heard in English that recaps Mexican promotion AAA (Albiet from time to time). That being said I leave a fair warning that some of the hosts opinions might be a bit problematic for ceirtain subsets of people so I sugges some caution while listening to ti.

Critical Role: Matthew Mercer along with a big roster of talented voice actors gather arround a table every week and play various tabletop games (mostly D&D). They recently finished their first major campaing which I highly reccomend.

Tuesday:

Super Best Friendcast:
Matt, Patt and Woolie sit around every week and talk about videogames with their particular style of humor and commentary. Definitively one of my favorites to listen to each and every week.

Waypoint Radio: The staff videogame website Waypoint talk about videogames while also discussing the politics arround them. If Im honest im one of "those people" who doesnt like the prospect of mixing this two particular subjets as Videogames are one of my few happy places to escape from constant depression and politics tend to trigger said depression... hard. But I also realize that sooner or later I have to engage with the subject so I make the effort to engage with said subject form time to time, which Waypoint covers. So yeah.

El Podcast de los 3 Gordos Bastardos (Mexican): One of the perks of being bilingual is that I can listen even more podcasts to complement my week. Sadly I for the most part have stopped listening to podcasts in Spanish, but this is one of the few I still keep up with. I love the fiendly dynamic between hosts Ezequiel, Adrian and Rafa and is another good place to listen to some of the goings on the videogame industry.

Giant Bombcast: And speaking of videogame podcasts, obviously I couldnt left this one out. I love the staff of Giant bomb and it's another great source of videogame industry news, commentary on current videogames and overall fun experience.

Wendsday:

The New Generation Proyect Podcast (Bi-Weekly):
Stwart Brooks, Adam Wykes and Paul Scrivens, take a look at the darkest period in WWE history, the mid 90's, with their particular point of view. Some nice investigative work on what was going on at the time as well as nice banter between the hosts. From Mullets to Maths, the NewGen podcast is sure to entertain.

Rebel Taxi's Pizza Party Podcast (Bi-Weelky): A fairly weird (and some might say cringeworthy) animation podcasts. It's really entertaining to listen to although it sometimes gets a nit out of hand with some of the topics they handle, but it is a fairly entertaining and somewhat informative experience in my opinion.

Completely Unnecesary Podcast (Bi-Weekly): A videogame podcast with focus on retro gaming. Pat Contri and Ian Ferguson give their opinion on the current news as well as give their thoughts on retrogaming, gamestop, scumbag sellers on Ebay and retro game collecting.

The Spin off Doctors: Jim Sterling (Of Jimquisition fame) and Conrad Zimmerman take a look the horrendusly hilarious world of movie aaptations about videogames.

Thursday:

So here's the deal. This is the only day of the week that none of the podcasts I regularly listen to publish, and as such I have to resort to a combination of older episodes of my favorite ones and trying some new ones, so I'll just put the non regularly scheduled ones I listen to here.

Attitude Era Podcast: Kefin Mahon, Billy Keable and Adam Bibilo take a look at the most profitable period on Professional Wrestling as well as modern day attemps to bring it back, as of this writing they're just wrapping up the Invasion storyline. Its a fun listening experience all arround.

How2Wrestling:
Kefin Mahon takes Jo Graham in a journey to learn about the magical and zany world of Pro Wrestling. A really good podcast if you want to get into the sport but don't know where to start.

The Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast: Jack Encarnassio and JP Sarro take a look at the WWE network catalog and talk about what was happening at the time of each PPV. It has by far the longest runtime of all the ones I listen to (runing 5hrs on average per episode) but the amount of historical information and investigative works is very impressive. Although it comes with the warning that some of the subjects they touch upon are very sensitive.

El Precipicio (Mexican): Perhaps the most niche and obscure reccomendation you'll find on this list. The hosts talk about world history and many other topics with their acid sense of humor, with enfasis of the world's biggest dictatros. It's ciertainly an experience to be listened to.

Friday:

Important If True:
Every week Chris Remo, Nick Breckon and Jake Rodkin talk about the most baffling and insane stuff in the world. From robots to poo stories to the 45 human bains that control human society and traveled back to the spanish revolution only to be executed and re discovered in 2017. That's pretty much as good as I can summarize it.

Idle Thumbs (Monthy): Chris Remo, Nick Breckon and Jake Rodkin talk about videogames (not Jake Rodkin) and give their own insight into game development. It is fascinating and interesting and I can no reccomend it enough

Co-Optional Podcast: Every week Totalbiscuit, Dodger from Dex Bonus and Jesse Cox alongside a guest talk about what they've been playing, news and recommendations of videogames. It is fairly entertaining and chances are you're likely to finde some cool videogames to check out.

Podquisition: Jim Sterling, Laura K. Dale and Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne talk about the week on games while bringing their particular style of humor. That being said I feel like this one is a case of "you like it or you dont" but I say is funny and fairly entertaining, so give it a check.

Saturday:

Giant Beastcast:
Similarly to the Giant Bombcast, the crew from Giant Bomb east talk about videogame releases, the news and beautiful postcars. Give it a try.

E&C's Pod of Awesomenes:
Pro Wrestling legend Edge (and Christian) talk about their expiriences in profesional wrestling, bringing in guests from all over the world to talk about their carreers, some current ppv's, hockey and TOMMAY Dreamer talking about his own experiences on the independets. Very funny and insightful to listen to.

Well, there you have it, that0s pretty much my week on podcasts. I hope you find something you like on there.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I want to drop a recommendation for the Sinica Podcast. A truly fantastic sino-centric podcast by two former Beijing residents, Kaiser Kuo a former c-rock musician and baidu manager of some description and Jeremy Goldkorn, noted sino-blogger and editor. They frequently have tonnes of guests in academia and various assorted fields and cover all kinds of stuff from China-American politics to trade to Chinese adoptee babies and China Rock through the ages and everything inbetween. Always fascinating and deeply interesting. If only I could find a Japanese focused podcast that operated on the same level.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend any film podcasts to me? I really enjoy Blank Check but I've had difficulty finding others that fit with what I like in a podcast.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you like? Focused discussion on a single film? Discussion on film elements and themes? Behind the scenes?
In particular with Blank Check (and in other podcasts on different hobbies) I really enjoy a sense of history and perspective as well as their focus on the director's filmography on common themes throughout the entire history of the director.

scotcheggz

Oct 28, 2017
Brighton, UK
Sweet, I was just getting into reading the podcast thread before. I make my own podcast, it's called Dark Histories. It's your typical true crime/folklore/mystery/little bit of paranormal sometimes, solo effort. Difference is I actually put in a fuckton of research. Like, theres some crossover with other quite well known podcasts and I've heard some of their episodes where we've done the same topic and their research was clearly cursory and at times they even repeat utter nonsense. It does get a bit dry because of that though. Anyway if you fancy listening to it, have a go.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
THE MAGNUS ARCHIVES IS SO GOOD.

I blew through season one last week and a huge chunk of it on an airplane trip to London. Amazingly well done.

NES

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Shock Waves is a great podcast for horror genre fans

if you dig it, check out their first podcast, Killer POV

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In particular with Blank Check (and in other podcasts on different hobbies) I really enjoy a sense of history and perspective as well as their focus on the director's filmography on common themes throughout the entire history of the director.
For movie podcasts, I enjoy
- I Was There Too - Interviews and discussion with character actors/extras who played small parts in famous movies. A lot of cool behind-the-scenes and insight into moviemaking
- One Perfect Pod - FilmSchoolRejects' movie podcast, discussion on film design elements, cinematography, and movie reviews
- The Director's Cut - Interviews with directors on their movies
- The VFX Show - Series focused on the special effects in movies by FX supervisors