• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I deeply dislike this current 'true crime' media trend that makes infotainment out of people's suffering. Even when sometimes it can be useful to renew police interest in cold cases.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 7 is very interesting and gives me hope.

Something that stuck out to me out of all the episodes is the beeping at 4:20 a.m. in the backyard. Would they be able to hear a watch buried in the yard?

Are you really only leaning towards it? I'm struggling to think of anything that could make it any more obvious that he did it bar finding a video of him killing the girl. Regardless of the fact that multiple cadaver dogs independently alerted to his part of his dorm room and his mother's backyard and that he has an extensive history of harassing and stalking women, when your attorney tries to make a deal that involves you leading people to a dead body in exchange for a lighter sentence, you're either 100% guilty or should fire your attorney.

Yeah that was a bit strange to say the least. Like she had to get up at 4:30 for her lifeguard job thing. Thats like almost a dead giveaway.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they find the evidence needed to put that guy behind bars. Everything seems to point to him. Nuts.
Also thought the unpatented DNA detecting device they talked about in one of the episodes sounded a little hokey. Didn't look it up but it struck me as odd.

Bear Brook is one of the best podcasts I've listened to.

I havent listened to ops podcast but it sounds similar. The modern dna testing that we have seen explode (I'm guessing that's what is referenced in the OP) in the last few years all stems from the bear brook case.

I listened to Bear Brook after reading this post. All the stuff about genetic genealogy was incredibly interesting! Crazy how the same scientist helped to find the Golden State killer using what she learned on that case.

Currently on season 2 of In the Dark, which is also quite good. Will probably jump on Up and Vanished after. I listened to Cold before, and I would highly recommend it. Really interesting, very well researched and has a good message too.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to Bear Brook after reading this post. All the stuff about genetic genealogy was incredibly interesting! Crazy how the same scientist helped to find the Golden State killer using what she learned on that case.

Currently on season 2 of In the Dark, which is also quite good. Will probably jump on Up and Vanished after. I listened to Cold before, and I would highly recommend it. Really interesting, very well researched and has a good message too.

Thanks for these recs, I'll be checking them all out!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I deeply dislike this current 'true crime' media trend that makes infotainment out of people's suffering. Even when sometimes it can be useful to renew police interest in cold cases.

I can understand the sentiment, and I do recognize the morbidity in my own fascination with this kinda stuff. For what it's worth, this podcast was made with the support of the Smart family. Most of the ones that want to do the victims justice reach out to the families at the heart of it and treat the subject with respect, avoid making it all about the killer, etc.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Anyone listen To Live and Die in LA? I'm about 75% way through. Not sure I really like it. Seems a bit exploitive? And on top of that i think it's going to simply end up reaching the most obvious conclusion despite forced attempts at curve balls but I guess I'll see.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Been a pretty big day for this case. Detectives say they have served search warrants in four different areas across California and Washington State in connection to the Kristen Smart case. Paul Flores was detained for an hour. The house with the yard many believe Kristen was buried has been taped off.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I see your point. Stuff like Serial obviously stirs up stuff for the victim's families and isn't fair to them, but in this case the family is firmly supportive of the podcast and if anything, this has yielded more results in the past year then even the decade preceding. Other ones like Root of Evil are almost therapeutic for the victim's family... hell, that one ended ON a group therapy session.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Fair, but this sort of thing has existed in some popular form since at least the Victorian Age, it's only a current trend insofar as podcasts have an incredibly low barrier for entry (you can literally catch up on them just driving to work, for free) so with a genre as popular as this they've become more prevalent.

I have noticed a genuine push from newer-ish podcasts to specifically be about closing old cases. "Murder Squad" just helped solve one and it's only been around for like six months?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to Bear Brook and In The Dark from recs in this thread.

Bear Brook was absolutely fantastic. What a ride! In The Dark was ok. Wasn't that into it.

Any other good recommendations?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the midst of Bear Brook, too. It's really amazingly well done. And horrifying. What a sick asshole.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
I just listened to Bear Brook and In The Dark from recs in this thread.

Bear Brook was absolutely fantastic. What a ride! In The Dark was ok. Wasn't that into it.

Any other good recommendations?
Definitely check out Someone Knows Something, especially seasons 2 and 5. The mother of all true crime podcasts in my book.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a change of pace, folks also need to listen to A Very Fatal Murder.
"The podcast follows fictional investigative reporter David Pascall (voiced by David Sidorov) in search of the perfect murder to create an award-winning podcast about. He is assisted by ETHL (the Extremely Timely Homicide Locator), an MIT-created computer programmed to find "the most interesting, violent, culturally relevant murder cases in America". "

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very interested to hear about the results of the search warrants that went out on the 20th. It seems they searched Paul and Susan's homes?

rObit

Oct 27, 2017

I have a sister who disappeared many years ago and is now part of a cold case, and I look at it as a double edged sword. When I see stuff like this thread, I can't help but feel that renewed interest from ANYONE would be a godsend. At the same time, if I dig on the internet too deep and start reading armchair detectives speculating on how my sister died, it does hurt and makes me generally uncomfortable. A lot of people take shit too far.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
I have a sister who disappeared many years ago and is now part of a cold case, and I look at it as a double edged sword. When I see stuff like this thread, I can't help but feel that renewed interest from ANYONE would be a godsend. At the same time, if I dig on the internet too deep and start reading armchair detectives speculating on how my sister died, it does hurt and makes me generally uncomfortable. A lot of people take shit too far.
Just wanted to say I'm sorry you've gone through this.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm sorry you've gone through this.

Thank you for that. I was young when she disappeared and can really only remember her through pictures. I can only imagine how much worse it is for those who have vivid memories of those they've lost.

I should clarify on my last post that the majority of stuff I see from such topics (including this thread) makes me very thankful that we have this global resource that can connect people, memories, and ideas in an effort to solve cases. The optimist in me thinks that it helps more than it hurts.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe Paul was arrested recently on some weapons possession charge as well. I'd be curious to see what comes from the search. I may be misremembering the podcast but I would assume that *if* he did it with the help (cover) of his parents then they likely exhumed the remains years ago and moved them elsewhere. I know they're weirdly defiant about selling their home but it just seems like a base they would have covered years ago before the renewed public scrutiny.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I always forget about this after listening to the podcast but I'm very happy they seem to be getting close to arresting all these assholes or at least Paul. I can't imagine the parents had no clue what was happening.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Into episode 3 of the podcast. This shit is nuts. So, essentially we know who murdered her, but campus and local police didn't take her missing seriously until after giving the murderer plenty of time to get rid of evidence. Fucking insane. Mother fucker was literally at a police station with a black eye and scratches right after she went missing. Fuck me.

EDIT: They found and lost an earing with a red smudge finger print on it on the property where he joked with a friend about having her!?!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Into episode 3 of the podcast. This shit is nuts. So, essentially we know who murdered her, but campus and local police didn't take her missing seriously until after giving the murderer plenty of time to get rid of evidence. Fucking insane. Mother fucker was literally at a police station with a black eye and scratches right after she went missing. Fuck me.

EDIT: They found and lost an earing on the property where he joked with a friend about having her!?!?

The corruption level is crazy high in this case. The Flores family were friends with local police at the time.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If they find her remains (they've been searching his house for a year???) I'm gonna have to re-listen to the podcast.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saw this interview with the mother:

www.ksby.com

Susan Flores, mother of 'prime suspect' in Kristin Smart case, speaks out in first media interview

Susan Flores, the mother of Paul Flores, the sheriff's prime suspect in the investigation into the disappearance of Kristin Smart, spoke to KSBY News on Tuesday for her first-ever media interview.

Some of the interesting things to note are that while she maintains innocence she lets slip some very curious turns of phrase that are sure to be dissected:
the commander had some pictures on his phone that were sent to him from this garage...
Q: Do you think the investigation over the last 25 years has been fair?
"No, oh no. There's a lot of things I could say, but I won't get into it because I'm sure we are gonna...well I don't know who will wind up in the court of the law.
It is simple for me to say, because I know the answer is not here with me, not here with him (Ruben), not here with anybody. It's not here. I don't get it."

I let them dig up my yard in 2007, they could have had a field day there
Q: Have you ever asked Paul, or talked to Paul and asked him if he knows anything?
"The conversations that have taken place with him are something that will sit quietly until...unfortunately we will see where all this is all going to lead...so all those aspects are not up for discussion.

I mean maybe she is just godawful at speaking but the way she words these responses is like literally how suspects in crime procedurals answer when the plot needs to progress and the investigators reignite their suspicions as the music changes.

also Lambert not contacting her or Ruben seems like a massive, boneheaded oversight.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Your post is old but I think it's a very good point and something I've dealt with before.

I will say though, I think there's different levels. A podcast like "my favorite murder" with girls giggling and cracking jokes about people who had their families destroyed by a heinous crime feels very bad. As does "Last Podcast on the Left" for often similar reasons. I will say though, things like Serial, S-Town, or this feel, more like a documentary or a piece of journalism, rather than a goofy romp about a murder.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn! Wonder what they found after all this time in that latest search.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I have chills all over my body. I am feeling happy for her family to hopefully get some peace. I can't believe this.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if they made a plea deal and just told police where her body was. I assume they'll continue to be lying scum, though.