• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Is yhere any differences between Heavenly Guardian and its switch version?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Glad to see Taito getting themselves back into console gaming again. I do find it weird that they're not synergising their efforts with their parent company (Square Enix) outside of Space Invaders.

Hope to see more retro revivals by Taito and Natsume Atari.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Man this was in my most wanted gaming related things to happen!!!

And these guys are so fuckin talented

Oct 27, 2017
Super hyped to see this news! The screens look amazing...I must say, after Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors getting the royal treatment, I was most excited by the potential of a Pocky & Rocky remake. So glad it came true. I will be there day 1!

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see Taito getting themselves back into console gaming again. I do find it weird that they're not synergising their efforts with their parent company (Square Enix) outside of Space Invaders.

Hope to see more retro revivals by Taito and Natsume Atari.
Funny you say that, as the just revealed Densha de Go game seems to be published by SE.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is as controversial as you think it is? There is no Taito Pocky and Rocky, only the original Kiki Kaikai arcade game and that's the only game Taito made in the series.

I believe the GBA game Pocky and Rocky With Becky was a port of the arcade game.

Plus, this series, I forgot the name was made by the former devs in Taito who made Pocky and Rocky arcade I think. I could be wrong on this though.

hm3KELP.jpeg

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the GBA game Pocky and Rocky With Becky was a port of the arcade game.

Plus, this series, I forgot the name was made by the former devs in Taito who made Pocky and Rocky arcade I think. I could be wrong on this though.

hm3KELP.jpeg

Pocky and Rocky with Becky is definitely not a port of Kiki Kaikai. The first level has some call backs to the original game, but otherwise, it diverts heavily.

Heavenly Guardian/Kiki Kai World is the name of that game, but I don't recall if it has old Taito devs on it, you may be correct on that.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
It's good and all but now that it is on Switch not Snes..... How can I get even past the first stage without game shake code? ;/

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This news is honestly bigger for me than the console pricing news this week. I nearly came reading the thread title. I was hoping for years this would be on VC.

I'm so stoked.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Oh my god I'm in love. It looks so good! I was worried for a moment.. Remember that awful wii game? YUK.

This looks brilliant. I will buy this day one. I think Pocky & Rocky may be my favorite SNES game of all time.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I assume it'll be like Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors, based on the SNES version, updated art and new levels, characters, etc.

Looks beautiful too, this team has some extremely talented 2D artists.

Oct 26, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Pocky & Rocky 2021 debut trailer, screenshots

Publisher Taito and developer Natsume Atari have released the debut trailer and screenshots for KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo (title tentative), the newly announced latest entry in its shoot &#8…

Trailer and screens! Natsume's logo is also in the trailer, which all but confirms that they're localizing it!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I first played the Pocky & Rocky games a few years ago. Very charming and fun games, even if I'm terrible at them.

Just noticed the trailer above. Looks glorious. I love the work Natsume is putting in these remakes.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Do they control the same as original game?
I think this game would work much better with modern twin stick shooting.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Do they control the same as original game?
I think this game would work much better with modern twin stick shooting.

Given the rest of their output and the initial trailer, I doubt they'll stray too far from the original controls, and I hope that continues. Twin stick shooters are strictly inferior to the old single stick shooters like Pocky and Rocky.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Confused about the thread title. It clearly says in the trailer "A sequel to Nazo no Kuro Mantle"

It even has a different name. Kuro Mantle no Nazo.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I am a little confused. Gematsu says its a sequel but topic titles says its a remake....

it is the third entry in tengo project's remake project series, which the official website describes as " 家庭用オリジナル作品『奇々怪界 謎の黒マント』(スーパーファミコン)の続編となる完全新作!"

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am a little confused. Gematsu says its a sequel but topic titles says its a remake....
it is the third entry in tengo project's remake project series, which the official website describes as " 家庭用オリジナル作品『奇々怪界 謎の黒マント』(スーパーファミコン)の続編となる完全新作!"

Right, which says, "A completely new title and sequel to the original console game KiKi KaiKai: Nazo no Kuro Mantle (Super Famicom)."

There was even the quote from Tengo Project's Toshiyasu Miyabe that said, "While you may think it's a remake, it's a completely new title. It's loaded with new elements."

I mean maybe it will end up being a remake in terms of story and stuff, I don't know. But as far as what Tengo Project is calling it, it's not a remake.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Right, which says, "A completely new title and sequel to the original console game KiKi KaiKai: Nazo no Kuro Mantle (Super Famicom)."

There was even the quote from Tengo Project's Toshiyasu Miyabe that said, "While you may think it's a remake, it's a completely new title. It's loaded with new elements."

I mean maybe it will end up being a remake in terms of story and stuff, I don't know. But as far as what Tengo Project is calling it, it's not a remake.

I guess it's possible they revisit some older locations from the original game.

If it is a sequel, wouldn't this be Pocky and Rocky 4?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Bit strange that they don't confirm platforms in the specs when Famitsu lists Switch:
  • Japanese Title: KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo (tentative)
  • English Title: Pocky & Rocky 2021 (tentative)
  • Platforms: TBA
  • Sales Format: TBA
  • Genre: Action Shoot 'Em Up
  • Developer: Nastume Atari
  • Release Date: TBA
  • Price: TBA
  • Players: One to Two
  • Online Support Score Ranking
  • CERO Rating: Pending

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
To me it 100% looks like a remake, or at least a reimagining of the first snes KikiKaiKai, from the title to the stages and ennemies shown in the trailer, and their two previous project...

since there's a lot of new things guess they want to call it a sequel, and that's fine! As i said in an earlier post, if i'm wrong then my bad, i just didn't want to call it pocky & rocky 3 as the original title said (and that was my mistake)!

In any cases, it's amazing news

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder if they will make any new characters like with Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors? Becky would be fine, but the two other games had some really super creative additions. I'd love an especially large character in this too, for example.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That's how you do re-releases. Wild Guns and Ninja Saviors were so fucking great, I have no doubt this will join those lofty ranks.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with this series, but this look really cute and well made! I'm definitely interested.

This remake/new entry talk is interesting. The text definitely says it's a sequel/new game. I'm wondering if it starts out by going through some areas of the original before eventually becoming a different adventure. I'm reminded of Castlevania Symphony of the Night where you start off by playing what looks like a remake of Rondo of Blood before it eventually becomes a different game. Maybe it's something like that.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhh...is that the right screenshot. Heavenly Guardian on the Wii and Snow Battle Princess Saiyuki (its switch port) look like this.
heavenly-guardian-20080902045605694.jpg

***checks internet finds a post on resetera about the reskin***

I have no idea about, like, the actual staff, but Snow Battle Princess Saiyuki/Legend of Saiyuki/Heavenly Guardian was literally a new Pocky and Rocky game until licensing stuff happened and they had to reskin it:
QOdo18D.jpg

nWV4kk9.jpg

UkD6KNg.jpg

Ahhh so thats what it is. It was originally gonna look like your screenshots but got reskinned because of the license and became a "spiritual sequel" pun intended.

Fun fact. Heavenly Guardian has a completely different 2 player story line and has a competitive points tally between rounds to see whose outplaying their partner. The story is about Sayuki and her Sister Koyuki competing to clear out monsters and collect snowballs as part of a yearly Snow Princess Tribe beauty competition in which the two always take top prizes but compete for number 1.
You can see the different intro about a minute into this mess of someone's channel.

I had to check because I own Heavenly Guardian/Snow Battle Princess Saiyuki and I was trying to find out if there was another title in the Pocky and Rocky titles I needed to buy to have played them all.

As is the series is just
  • Pocky and Rocky
  • Pocky and Rocky 2
  • Pocky and Rocky and Becky
  • Heavenly Guardian/ Snow Battle Princess Saiyuki

...or are there more titles?

Last edited:

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
I just read about it and rushed to Era to check if there is a thread about it! Glad to see people are talking about it. Pocky & Rocky was in the first batch of games I put on my SNES Mini and I see it as a SNES essential! :)