• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that the federal government is spending $2 billion to procure more personal protective equipment for front-line workers in the COVID-19 fight.

Providing an update on an earlier appeal to manufacturers to pivot their production lines to supply various life-saving medical supplies, Trudeau said the government has heard from just under 3,000 companies willing to help, and a handful have already signed contracts with the government to help boost the health sector's stockpile.

As part of this, hundreds of ventilators are now in production.

The prime minister said that more equipment will be needed, from masks to testing kits.

This industry effort includes building up the manufacturing capacity to produce equipment and supplies including ventilators, face masks, and sanitizer. The government has also shifted the country's entire industrial policy to focus on the COVID-19 fight. This has included re-prioritizing existing innovation and research programs and working on agreements with industry to produce more diagnostic testing products and other disease tracking technology.

www.ctvnews.ca

PM Trudeau says more medical supplies coming in days as industry retools

The federal government is spending $2 billion to procure more diagnostic testing, ventilators, and personal protective equipment for front-line workers in the COVID-19 fight, with some supplies set to be ready within days, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

EDIT:

Holy shit... watch at 29:00

157 million surgical masks have been acquired.

60 Million N95 masks.

1 Million COVID-19 Test Kit/Swabs

Delivery of these will begin this week

www.youtube.com

Federal ministers and health officials provide COVID-19 update – March 31, 2020

In Ottawa, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, joins Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, Public Services and Procurement Minister Ani...

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is how you lead.

Trump is getting embarrassed. And he hates Trudeau too so I'm loving it.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
This plus the 75% wage subsidy shows that, even though he's still made - and continues to make - horrible missteps, our PM can keep a level head in an international crisis.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
why isn't Canada warmer

Little known fact: The ongoing mass climate change impacting the globe, is actually making more of a temperature positive situation in places like Canada, Russia and Northern Europe.

And even before that, because we have so much land that is unused due to having only 37.5 million people who live predominantly within 100 km(60 miles) of the border(because that is how the defence setup was back during the founding years, hence where the major roads are), most of the country experiences milder weather than you think. i.e. Toronto is warmer than NYC, Boston, etc. Vancouver is basically Seattle/London-ish weather year round.

But back on the main topic, it's incredible to see the entire country switch gears on a dime, and shift to just fighting COVID-19 and only that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm on the wrong side of the border.
a4e49aaa4eaf47b4f2c154e26e863afb.jpg

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Little known fact: The ongoing mass climate change impacting the globe, is actually making more of a temperature positive situation in places like Canada, Russia and Northern Europe.

And even before that, because we have so much land that is unused due to having only 37.5 million people who live predominantly within 100 km(60 miles) of the border(because that is how the defence setup was back during the founding years, hence where the major roads are), most of the country experiences milder weather than you think. i.e. Toronto is warmer than NYC, Boston, etc. Vancouver is basically Seattle/London-ish weather year round.

But back on the main topic, it's incredible to see the entire country switch gears on a dime, and shift to just fighting COVID-19 and only that.
Yeah Canada has gotten a lot warmer, and honestly it fucking sucks. I can see much climate change has effected out weather and it's seriously scary..

Lurch

Banned
Mar 28, 2020
User Banned (permanent): troll account
Just imagine how much more equipment would be available right now if Trudeau didnt send 16 tons to China a month ago.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Canada has gotten a lot warmer, and honestly it fucking sucks. I can see climate change seriously change our current climate and it has become a lot warmer.

Landmass enough to support populations for hundreds of years to come, untapped resources way beyond the needs of the current citizenry, and geographically suitable location(for climate change, protected on 3 sides by Oceans, and friendly lifelong neighbours to the south).

Though to be honest, I fully expect to see our US neighbours to eventually start applying for immigration more and more as the decades roll on. The situation south of the border will just continue to deteriorate because the system is broken, IMO.

Well, they received more than that from China. AFAIK

Yes.... because we did the right thing, for humanitarian reasons. China even went out of it's way to say thank you publicly, and we received back more than we sent.

But that seems to be forgotten easily by certain groups who are still trying to play failed political games during a crisis.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Just imagine how much more equipment would be available right now if Trudeau didnt send 16 tons to China a month ago.

This kind of mentality is counterproductive to fighting a GLOBAL pandemic. Imagine if everyone just decided to go out and horde all masks for themselves instead of giving it to medical professionals who actually need them.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China has production capabilities that far outstrip our own and *supposedly* have very few new cases now, so I wouldn't be surprised if China returned the favour and then some. We're all in this together.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I'm not a fan of how Trudeau's handling of indigenous issues, but his covid-19 action has been fantastic.

Lurch

Banned
Mar 28, 2020
This kind of mentality is counterproductive to fighting a GLOBAL pandemic. Imagine if everyone just decided to go out and horde all masks for themselves instead of giving it to medical professionals who actually need them.

So I assume you will be praising Trump as well since he sent 17.8 tons of equipment to China in February?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
You know what we received it back and then some. Don't just be racist (racist might not be the right word here but that's the one that came to mind) towards china because they "caused" it. This could have been any country. You know who's currently doing miles more damage then China? the US. We as a people should be trying to stop this not just singling someone out because blah blah politics. Bruh lives literally at stake here. I'd rather we help anyone and everyone then stop helping because we're here to undermine anyone even in a pandemic. Want to know who would do that? USA again?

Also that equipment just didn't disappear. It went to save lives. It wasn't just wasted because it went to China.

e: I'm not gonna continue conversation with a brand new account sorry.

Last edited:

Lurch

Banned
Mar 28, 2020
I'm not a fan of how Trudeau's handling of indigenous issues, but his covid-19 action has been fantastic.

His handling of indiginuous issues is absolutely abhorrent, much like all the other leaders that came before him, but I agree he has been doing a fantastic job so far with this. I absolutely LOATHE Doug Ford and I have to say the same about him as well. He was ahead of the game with the response in Ontario.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm no fan of Trudeau and usually trust very little that comes out of his mouth due to his frequent double speak. With that said, he has impressed the hell out of me navigating this crisis and to date I think we've been very lucky to have him guiding the ship.

Messaging has been clear, decisive and well thought out. It's going to be a very tough time for all Canadians but I think we've been great at implementing measures in a reasonable timeframe and ensuring that most don't suffer catastrophic financial distress, hopefully we get through this with a low death toll.

Lurch

Banned
Mar 28, 2020
You know what we received it back and then some. Don't just be racist towards china because they "caused" it. This could have been any country. You know who's currently doing miles more damage then China? the US. We as a people should be trying to stop this not just singling someone out because blah blah politics. Bruh lives literally at stake here. I'd rather we help anyone and everyone then stop helping because we're here to undermine anyone even in a pandemic. Want to know who would do that? USA again?

Also that equipment just didn't disappear. It went to save lives. It wasn't just wasted because it went to China.

When was I being racist? Fuck outta here with that shit, dont go accusing people of racism on a whim.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You know who's currently doing miles more damage then China? the US.

Let's not jump the shark here. You can counter the argument about sending supplies without silly platitudes like this. Canada sent aid because that is what we do and we want to help the people of China who are not responsible for thier terrible gov't agenda. We are a kind nation end of story. That is how you counter people that whine about the aid we send.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Can you imagine the situation right now if Scheer had won the election instead?
I don't know why people bother to speculate on this. Scott Morrison the PM in Australia is similar to Andrew Scheer and they've rolled out many almost identical measures to Canada.

The reality of it is we simply don't know how it would have panned out. Heck even Kenney rolled out an emergency payment and is leading the country in testing amongst all the other garbage policies he continues to roll out.

We're living in unprecedented times, even most conservatives are in agreement on the need for significant stimulus and support through this.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Let's not jump the shark here. You can counter the argument about sending supplies without silly platitudes like this . Canada sent aid because that is what we do and we want to help the people of China who are not responsible for thier terrible gov't agenda. We are a kind nation end of story. That is how you counter people that whine about the aid we send.
I mean yeah that's what Canadians' do we are here to help anyone during any large disaster/pandemic/incident, but yeah shouldn't have just drug out without all that other extra stuff. :P Sorry just a tense time here, and has me super stressed out, and I just don't like seeing our good doings being diminished because we sent something somewhere.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I mean yeah that's what Canadians' do we are here to help anyone during any large disaster/pandemic/incident, but yeah shouldn't have just drug out without all that other extra stuff. :P Sorry just a tense time here, and has me super stressed out, and I just don't like seeing our good doings being diminished because we sent something somewhere.

I feel ya there are always Canadians that bitch about our generosity. They are short sighted assholes. They need to understand that our reputation pays off in the end. It always does.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people bother to speculate on this. Scott Morrison the PM in Australia is similar to Andrew Scheer and they've rolled out many almost identical measures to Canada.

The reality of it is we simply don't know how it would have panned out. Heck even Kenney rolled out an emergency payment and is leading the country in testing amongst all the other garbage policies he continues to roll out.

We're living in unprecedented times, even most conservatives are in agreement on the need for significant stimulus and support through this.

I thought the Yukon and NWT were leading (by quite a margin) in tests per 100,000. In fact there was a graph posted in the other thread about it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I thought the Yukon and NWT were leading (by quite a margin) in tests per 100,000. In fact there was a graph posted in the other thread about it.
Out of all the provinces Alberta is ahead with testing 1 in 103. BC at ~130.

I haven't seen numbers in relation to Yukon and NWT but given their really low populations, I'm sure they're well ahead in this regard.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The article was updated. Looks like the next set of supplies are coming within days, including at least 500 portable life support and ventilator units. 3000 companies have reached out to the government willing to provide help.

"Demand for these goods is going up, so were making sure Canada is ready to keep up," Trudeau said, adding that the government is also making bulk purchases of the essential protective gear for the provinces and territories.

"We're expecting shipments to come in in the coming days and we'll continue to work tirelessly to get the supplies to where they're needed."

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
His handling of indiginuous issues is absolutely abhorrent, much like all the other leaders that came before him, but I agree he has been doing a fantastic job so far with this. I absolutely LOATHE Doug Ford and I have to say the same about him as well. He was ahead of the game with the response in Ontario.
Of all the craziness of the last month, Doug Ford actually handling the situation fairly well is probably the most insane part.