• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
RPG's
DVD's
PS4's
GOTY's

All of the above are incorrect if referring to plural, rather than possessive, abbreviations. No apostrophe is necessary for plural abbreviations unless you put a period between each letter.

D.V.D.'s = OK
DVDs = OK
DVD's = not OK

I'm sorry for getting on my soapbox but I hope that some of you making new threads see this and take it into consideration when making new threads.

afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com

FAQs on Style

Many topics come up repeatedly in reader comments and e-mail messages to After Deadline. Unfortunately I’m not able to offer a direct response to each comment (truth be told, After Deadline is a sideline for me). But one thoughtful reader suggested that I compile answers for some of the most...

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew you were supposed to put an apostrophe for plurals in the case of putting periods between letters in acronyms. What is the rule if you want to show plural possessive with an acronym with periods in between letters?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen anyone use an apostrophe like that or I've simply never noticed.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I was just about to post this. It's a very easy thing to do even for those that actually know the difference. I do it all of the time automatically, and then edit it out.
Yeah, and to be honest, I did it too until I was a junior in college, but a professor wrote in all caps on one of my papers "IT'S = IT IS ONLY!" and well, that stuck with me for the rest of my life. LOL

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen anyone type RPG's

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and to be honest, I did it too until I was a junior in college, but a professor wrote in all caps on one of my papers "IT''S = IT IS ONLY!" and well, that stuck with me for the rest of my life. LOL

Oh, I know the difference, what I am talking about mainly though is when I'm having to jump back and forth between "it's and its" during a paragraph I'll sometimes just type it, only to notice after the fact. The one word I used to constantly misspell decades ago was a lot. It's "a lot", not alot.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Could of instead of could have and irregardless tend to make my eye twitch a little but it's not that big a deal

OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
's = possessive, or maybe a contraction except in the case of "its" because the English language hates you all
s = plural

And that's it, we're done here. This isn't even a gaming thing, it's just basic grammar. Like, so incredibly basic I have no idea why it's such an issue, except there are millions of people who can't handle it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I know the difference, what I am talking about mainly though is when I'm having to jump back and forth between "it's and its" during a paragraph I'll sometimes just type it, only to notice after the fact. The one word I used to constantly misspell decades ago was a lot. It's "a lot", not alot.
Yeah, I still sometimes slip up too. We're human, after all. :) Misuse of your/you're does drive me absolutely bonkers though!

OP
OP
truncated_pachyderm
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the examples you mentioned, only GOTY is potentially an abbreviation.

If your going to be pedantic, do it write.

I think you're confusing abbreviation with acronym. It's a square-and-rectangle thing.

I'm talking about initialisms and acronyms, both of which are abbreviations.

data.grammarbook.com

Abbreviations vs. Acronyms vs. Initialisms - The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Dictionaries don’t all agree on the definitions of these words and neither do style manuals. So we will attempt to shed more light on the distinctions. Abbreviations According to Dictionary.com, an abbreviation is a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole...

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a next gen game announcement? Looking forward to playing PADNA (Pluralized Acronyms Don't Need Apostrophes)

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. The only time you need one is for a contraction or to show ownership.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks for saying this, because I always want to but then my brain tells me not to ruffle feathers with something many won't care about.

How do you feel about the Oxford Comma?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If we're gonna call out easily avoidable spelling and grammar mistakes, it's called Game Pass not Gamepass.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't ever mention it, because I realize that not everyone has English as a first language.

But.

There is one poster here who always writes "hole" instead of "whole." And the thing is, they mean to write "whole" a lot. They're always talking about "Nintendo's hole business" and it's very distracting.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
RPG's
DVD's
PS4's
GOTY's

All of the above are incorrect if referring to plural, rather than possessive, abbreviations. No apostrophe is necessary for plural abbreviations unless you put a period between each letter.

D.V.D.'s = OK
DVDs = OK
DVD's = not OK

I'm sorry for getting on my soapbox but I hope that some of you making new threads see this and take it into consideration when making new threads.

afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com

FAQs on Style

Many topics come up repeatedly in reader comments and e-mail messages to After Deadline. Unfortunately I’m not able to offer a direct response to each comment (truth be told, After Deadline is a sideline for me). But one thoughtful reader suggested that I compile answers for some of the most...

This is mostly true. Collective nouns that end with "s" can be the exception.

Otherwise, good reminder.