• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.kqed.org

Plot to Blow Up Democratic Headquarters Exposed California Extremists Hiding in Plain Sight | KQED

A look inside how two Bay Area men came to plot a mass casualty event.

200809-IIIUP-BBQ-JarrodCopeland-IanRogers-AndSpouses-at-source-FB-post-1-1020x788.jpg

ears before law enforcement seized the contents of Ian Rogers' safe, he earned a reputation as a talented mechanic and successful Napa Valley business owner. Rogers catered to an elite clientele of Jaguar, Land Rover and Rolls-Royce owners inside a garage off Napa's main drag, a street spotted with boutiques and high-end bed and breakfasts.
The 47-year-old from Sonoma County, who appeared to have a passion for guns according to Facebook posts where he dissed prominent Democrats, was also a loving husband and father who paid his bills on time, according to his family and friends.
In the fall of 2020, in the weeks after Joe Biden was declared the next president of the United States, Rogers sent an ominous text to someone he trusted, according to court records.
"Ok bro we need to hit the enemy in the mouth," he messaged.
"Yeah so we punch Soros," Rogers' former employee and gym buddy, Jarrod Copeland, texted back, referring to billionaire investor George Soros.
Copeland, a Kentucky native, was a mechanic at Rogers' shop nearly a decade earlier.

"I think right now we attack democrats. They're offices etc. Molotov cocktails and gasoline," Rogers continued.

Copeland replied, "We need more people bro. Gonna be hard."

The day after Thanksgiving, the chatter kindled a plan. Text messages contained in court records show the two men agreed to burn down the headquarters of the California Democratic Party in Sacramento, a building diagonal to the California Highway Patrol office tasked with protecting state lawmakers and daily visitors to the Capitol. Also nearby: a youth center, gym and popular bookstore.

Rogers: sent link to the address of the California Democratic Party office…
Copeland: Right next to CHP
Copeland: gotta be cautious
Rogers: Only takes 3 minutes
Rogers: Take a brick break a window pour gas in and light

The two men texted that they hoped hitting that particular target would send a message and ignite a movement. They viewed themselves as action film heroes, referencing "The Expendables," a popular movie franchise.

Rogers: Scare the whole country
Rogers: Can you imagine cnn covering this haha !
Rogers: I'll leave a envelope with our demands and intentions
Rogers: Basically saying we declare war on the Democratic Party and all traitors to the republic.
Copeland: That's some expendables stuff.
Rogers: We need to send a message
Copeland: Yep I agree
Rogers: Start a movement

On Jan. 8, 2021, the two acknowledged they might die carrying out their plan. Rogers asked Copeland if he was ready to leave his wife.

Rogers: What I'm talking about we probably will die unfortunately
Copeland: She was crying yesterday and said to me "please don't leave me I don't know what to do without you" she was rubbing my back while I was watching...
Copeland: She knows how i run and she knows I will put myself in harms way for what I believe in

It never came to that.

Rogers and Copeland were arrested in January and July of 2021, respectively, according to court records.
The two are charged in federal court with conspiracy to destroy by fire or explosive a building used in interstate commerce, with Copeland facing an additional destruction of records in official proceedings charge for allegedly destroying evidence of his communication with Rogers.
CADemHQ.jpg

Rogers' and Copeland's case is part of a surge in violent extremist activity the FBI is investigating in Northern California and throughout the nation.

Federal law defines domestic terrorism as "acts dangerous to human life" that violate state or federal criminal law, and appear to be an attempt to "influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion" or "affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping."

United by rage

In an attempt to understand why two Bay Area men allegedly conspired to blow up a Sacramento building, KQED's reporters visited the places where Rogers and Copeland worked, reviewed hundreds of pages of court documents and public records and interviewed more than a dozen people, including family members. Copeland and Rogers' attorneys refused requests to interview their clients, pending a final decision in their case.
What emerged is a portrait of friends united by rage who found community within an obscure anti-government militia. But one kept his affiliation quiet, while the other proudly displayed his allegiance with a bumper sticker on his truck. Together, they allegedly hatched a violent plan that they hoped would spark more violence.
Jon Blair, the assistant special agent in charge of counterterrorism at the FBI's San Francisco field office, which investigated Rogers and Copeland, would not comment on the case, but said it's not just the number of incidents that has gone up in California, but also the number of people involved and the severity of violence.
"There are actors who are predisposed towards these acts of violence, who are violating federal law and who are adhering to ideology," Blair said. "They didn't just come into existence after 2020, right? I do think they were a little more emboldened now because the rhetoric has become so pervasive and so loud in our culture."

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Anybody who makes their entire persona around this WWE political theatre is a fucking loser.

Even today, they are trying to blame video games again for the 18 year old mass shooter - when you have these crusty old fucks talking about molotovs like it's such a simple thing to burn an entire building down while trying to incite violence and get on CNN

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Copeland, 38, started working as a mechanic at Rogers' shop in 2011 according to his Linkedin profile.

"They were like brothers. Like really close homies," Rattu said. "They'd spot each other. I'm working (out) on a machine across from them, they'd be joking around, smiling."

Rattu said he noticed that after Trump was elected, Rogers, who he's known since 2007, became more politically vocal on social media.

"Some people got way to the left and some people got way to the right," Rattu said. "I started seeing hatred come through in his Facebook posts. He hated Gavin Newsom for some reason. I heard something about him wanting to beat up Newsom. But I thought it was all jokes."

Rattu said that he was most surprised by the Nazi memrobilia and "white priveledge card" investigators found in Rogers' safe.

"I'm Indian," Rattu said. "I get mistaken for Muslim. I've gotten racist attacks against me. After 9/11, I almost got jumped by these guys. I tell you, Ian never, never — and Jarrod, too — never brought up stuff like this. They treated me like any old guy."

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
He was merely one of the "good ones" 🙄

More Americans need to start taking this shit seriously and stop telling themselves someone is joking when they threaten violence.

Edit: Woops, this is a reply to NostroDalek and the comment by Rattu, a friend of the terrorist.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The two men texted that they hoped hitting that particular target would send a message and ignite a movement. They viewed themselves as action film heroes, referencing "The Expendables," a popular movie franchise.

Jesus Christ we're going to lose democracy to people like this?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Read this earlier today. It's fucking insanity. And these are just the ones dumb enough to get caught.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
You know when someone has no redeeming quality when all they got is paying their bills on time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Only going to get worse. These people think they're under attack and RW media is intentionally pushing the craziest ones into violence.

petszk

Dec 20, 2019
Planned to both burn the building down AND leave an envelope with their demands and intentions?

I'm picturing these mental giants in action.
Mental Giant #1: Smashes window
Mental Giant #2: Throws envelope with their demands thru the window
Mental Giant #1: Pours gasoline thru window and lights it.

...several seconds later...
Mental Giant #1 & Mental Giant #2 together: "Ooooohhh..."

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
You don't hear stuff like this about anyone on the left, and yet the left are the crazy/easily offended ones according to these idiots.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
bro, wrap up these wives too with charges, is you fucking serious
they cant even be like "we didnt know/think they was serious" because you obvious was super concerned for their life, so you knew/had great reason to believe they was going to do shit
aint no fucking way they was like "i married a terroristic nazi and i didnt know!" now airing on TLC this monday type shit

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"Paid his bills on time".

OMG, that's a Bill Burr joke. "You die as the angry guy, that's the worst dude to die as. People gotta try and think of happy shit to say about you, at your funeral. 'You know he, uh, he always paid his bills on time, you gotta give him that.'"

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Media always looking to add this shit for white people

if a rogue white terrorist blew up a whole city, his smiling face would be on the front page of NYT
you're goddamned straight. the outrage or shock isn't the terrorism, but that one of "their kind" a smiling white, is the culprit.

'what could have happened in his life to make him lash out and kill a dozen people?" "what mental anguish could drive someone like him to do that bad thing way over there in that world?" "I am so disconnected from all of this yet find something about it really relatable, oh the killer, that's it." "are we pushing out boys too far?"

"how did CRT and video games do all of this?"

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Napa Valley, yeah that tracks. Most of these folks owe their jobs to rich folk one way or another and they've massively internalized jealousy of them.

Most of these types have a few or more acres, a few trucks, and some kinda shitkicker grand family mythos, and they think this means the understand the world. They're the types who think they're halfway to a grand Trumpian empire of their own if only the libs would stop being mean to them.

I met dozens growing up. Utter shit stains.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
This shit literally all started in the name of some fat fuck reality former reality TV Show Host and it will never not amaze me

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Planned to both burn the building down AND leave an envelope with their demands and intentions?

I'm picturing these mental giants in action.
Mental Giant #1: Smashes window
Mental Giant #2: Throws envelope with their demands thru the window
Mental Giant #1: Pours gasoline thru window and lights it.

...several seconds later...
Mental Giant #1 & Mental Giant #2 together: "Ooooohhh..."

Literally dumb and dumber, but 100x more homicidal.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This shit literally all started in the name of some fat fuck reality former reality TV Show Host and it will never not amaze me

Californian born and raised here: this did not start with Trump.

Trump amplified them, gave them visibility. Provided an air of ridiculous so that they could fly their flags proudly and people wouldn't take them too seriously.

To think this started with Trump is to really underestimate the threat.

I mean, to date, every single state in the US has at least one active white supremacist militia operating in it. That didn't begin in 2015.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
He paid his bills on time!

If that's the nicest thing they can say about him, then wow.

Edit:
"Paid his bills on time".

OMG, that's a Bill Burr joke. "You die as the angry guy, that's the worst dude to die as. People gotta try and think of happy shit to say about you, at your funeral. 'You know he, uh, he always paid his bills on time, you gotta give him that.'"

Haha. This is exactly what I was thinking!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Family man & good servant to capitalism DESPITE being a domestic terror threat. What a guy!

Yeah normally we have to wait a few hours for the sympathetic bullshit. Now they are just cutting the wait time and giving it to us right in the first articles that talks about his crimes. Now that's efficient.

Fuck every single one is these white terrorists and the newspapers that suck them off

Last edited: