• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Small details, a lot of the times sound effects like the sound for getting an item on Shenmue mess around with the reward system in your brain, besides being soothing in and of itself (sound at the 25s mark in case I don't link it correctly):

Or are just pleasurable in some other ways, like the Switch logo one (things falling into place):

I was going to do this just about sound effects but I remembered a friend commenting once he had a feeling of pleasure everytime he saw oranges similar to Hearthstone legendary-rarity cards, even outside the game:

b80449ad5c62671dc3d88bc8593c547ba99eb930_hq.jpg

Do you relate? What other examples can you recall?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Any game where you can paint stuff. Fully covering anything in Portal 2, Unfinished Swan, etc is super satisfying.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you have sound effects right off OP, you definitely have the right idea. I love a good ASMRy food-eating sound effect in games.

Like ALL the sound effects in this game are fantastic:

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Idle animations.

Things like Mario going to sleep in SM64 or DK whipping out his 3DS when you do nothing.

edit:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The hitstop and screenshake from powerful attacks on monster weakspots in Monster Hunter

Especially on Greatsword

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Learning skills in the SaGa series - when using certain skills in battle, there's a chance to learn a new skill. A light bulb pops up above your character's head, there's a nice sound and they use the new skill there and then.

I'm not even that much of a fan of the series, but this is by far the most satisfying method of gaining skills in any RPG.

Jan 10, 2018
When you use a poweful ability in God of War and it uses slow-mo at the startup.

When you use rage mode with Trevor in GTA V and the bass is turned up to the max.

When you nail Nordschleife perfectly in GT Sport with your favourite car. That's like minutes of constant pleasure.

When you headshot squishy characters with Hanzo in Overwatch.

When you sell a lot of stuff in RPG's and organize your inventory perfectly. Mmmmm!

When you line up a piercing shot perfectly with the heavy bowgun in Monster Hunter so that it hits right from the start of the head down to the end of the tail.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you on that Switch click sound. Super satisfying.
Also for some reason I really enjoy the noises shy-guys make in Mario kart games.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Or are just pleasurable in some other ways, like the Switch logo one (things falling into place):

It's going to drive me crazy because I can't remember where exactly I heard it, but I know I heard the Switch click/snap sound in a rap song a few months ago (the song was older than the Switch).

I wanna say it was a Run the Jewels song, but it totally caught me off guard because it was 100% the same noise.

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro deathblow sound is my SOTG. Shinobi execution sound, too.

God of War shield clang and leaping axe ground smash are also S-tier sounds.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Using supers in inFamous Second Son...

All of them actually Orbital Drop and Neon are spectacular to watch.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always loved the sound of selecting things in the gen 1 and 2 pokemon games. I could never get tired of that sound despite hearing it probably a million times a playthrough.

OP
OP
Gulduur

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
I was focusing on is more on smaller scale details and not a segments of a game, but of course that's not wrong :) I'd even consider the character's calling sound a good example too. Love Journey.

Oct 28, 2017
When you win a mission in X-Wing or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and the Star Wars theme starts playing and the commander calls the mission a success. It just fits so well.

Swimble_87

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
1. The Konami jingle in the intro to MGS on PS1.

2. Sending a bowling bomb backwards in CTR Nitro Fueled and seeing the icon of the player behind you turn a satisfying red on impact :-D

3. Landing Kazuya's lightning screw uppercut in Tekken 2 - the impact sound when the opponent goes flying is a satisfying one

4. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - I used to keep hitting square until he shouted "ka-splat!" That one used to scratch the itch :-D similar thing with his stomp, I think if you held down X he would stomp down extra hard.

5. Landing a perfectly timed and executed belly flop (ideally on a stack of crates) in Crash Bandicoot

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
COD hit markers and kills.

Overwatch headshot.

All of the critical hit noises in FF7, especially Cloud.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When you knock someone out of the arena in Smash Bros with a baseball bat