• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm using 2 top entry kitty liter boxes for my cat with arm & hammer cloud control. This is obviously kinda expensive

She has long hair so she has dingleberries, so that's something I want to address. I also hate lingering smells

It needs to be top entry or raised up higher because I have a dog that likes to eat cat shit

The cat is kinda particular about what she goes in, but I'm willing to spend money now in order to get to a better solution

Thanks guys

F1egl8E.jpg

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw in another thread that people swear by those $500 litter robots.
I mean if money is no object.
🤷‍♂️
😼

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Well, you might just have to get her fur trimmed. We have to do it for our cat. We also use this cat litter, and it's the only cat litter we've tried that doesn't stick to his fur or come flying out, and does a pretty good job on masking the smell.

81qgcpdjWtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've only ever used Dr. Elsey's.

Scoop once per day, usually in the morning, which I drop into a brown paper bag. Every three days the bag gets thrown out and a new bag is started.

Change litter every four to six weeks, depending on condition. This is with only one cat though.

61po%2BblqBuL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I saw in another thread that people swear by those $500 litter robots.
I mean if money is no object.
🤷‍♂️
😼
I have one and it's amazing because you don't have to clean it all the time. Slightly raised so the dog shouldn't be able to get in. Also if you keep it clean enough the lingering smells should dissipate.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Best $400 I ever spent. Had it for two years. In a 2 bedroom apartment, doesn't stink, and with only 1 cat I need to empty about once a week.

O98xrnH.png

www.litter-robot.com

Litter-Robot 3

Never scoop litter again. Litter-Robot 3 is the highest-rated automatic, self-cleaning litter box. Free shipping*, 90-day in-home trial, 1-year warranty.

Oct 22, 2020
I've used a ScoopFree for many years now for my cat and have been very happy with it.

I just rake it every couple days and swap out the litter every three weeks or so. Works out well for my and my cat.

The crystal litter definitely tracks quite a bit, so I have a Roomba and run it every couple days to keep things tidy.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I have no advice to offer. My cat has long hair, uses the litter box appropriately and doesn't get turds stuck in her hair. Maybe once every 3 months she'll have a Small one.
I use the lightweight clumping cat litter. I also don't have a tiny shiteating dog.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Best $400 I ever spent. Had it for two years. In a 2 bedroom apartment, doesn't stink, and with only 1 cat I need to empty about once a week.

O98xrnH.png

www.litter-robot.com

Litter-Robot 3

Never scoop litter again. Litter-Robot 3 is the highest-rated automatic, self-cleaning litter box. Free shipping*, 90-day in-home trial, 1-year warranty.

Same. Only complaint is the app sucks if you get that version.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have the non-app version. Also don't pay for their expensive "liners". Just use a normal, cheap 13 gallon garbage bag. Roll up the edges and it fits perfectly.
Yeah, I got the app version with a discount so it was the same price. Works fine without the app, just not worth the extra money for that particular version.

And same, just normal bags work fine. So much less wasted litter too.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have a NFC that has very long hair and never got dingleberries. I do trim his behind tho.

For litter I just use arm and hammer or what is on sale. I clean it just about 2-3 a day or every time they go. Have three cats and two litters. Works for me!

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
My cat meows loudly before she poops, letting me know to dispose it before my dog eats it. We work together.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Likewise we have a Litter robot as well, but our problem is our cat pees in the same spot, right at the entrance. It's a habit from when we had two cats and no Litter Robot, so she would go in the front of the box and cat #2 went in the back. He passed away long ago, yet she still keeps to the very edge of the entrance. The downside is that she then steps in her wet litter on her way out of the Litter Robot. She also has the steps to get in and out of the box because she's 1) old and 2) short legged.

I've tried various litters to try and keep her paws clean. Currently I'm using Fresh Step Clean Paws, but it doesn't hold odor as well as the A&H Clump-and-Seal that I used to use, but that one has a tracking problem. I've also tried the A&H AbsorbX series and she did not like it at all; it has a consistency of fine sand and contains green-colored bits that get green dye on her paws.

The Litter Robot does make it very convenient to deal with the cat stuff, especially when going on vacation When we were out of town and had a relative come over to take care of the box, she commented how easy it was for her to dispose of the cat waste.

Oct 28, 2017

O98xrnH.png

www.litter-robot.com

Litter-Robot 3

I've been eyeing this for some time. But I have a toddler and I'm sure he'll mess around with it somehow. And I have two older kinda large cats so who knows how they'll respond to this.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've been eyeing this for some time. But I have a toddler and I'm sure he'll mess around with it somehow. And I have two older kinda large cats so who knows how they'll respond to this.
My two year old doesnt mess with it. My cats were like 8ish when we got it, no problems other than one (but she is mostly kept isolated for other reasons, so she never got use to it).

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tidy cats glade scented litter and a regular big open litter box, I have it in my bathroom if I smell anything I'll empty it and put on the exhaust fan for a couple minutes. Works well for me as I live in a small apartment, only bit of advice I have for new cat owners is never skimp in the brand of litter, you might think it's cheaper but just as good but most the time it isn't and will smell like ass and ammonia in a couple days.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Can't speak for the toddler, but at least when I bought it they had a generous return policy in case your cat just refuses to go near it. I got a 1 year old cat from a shelter and she used it right away.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
naturesfront_2000x.png

40lb bag costs $6 at the co-op and lasts forever, even when I had four litter boxes. Does a great job at absorbing odors, too.

The pellets are chunky until they get broken down, so most fancy boxes that are anything but a liner and tray won't work great with it, but pound for pound it's the most effective and inexpensive litter ever.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Buy a pet shaver and shave your cat's ass OP. I have to do that with my girl cat, it takes all of a few minutes every month-ish.

Also if you have the room, you should have one more litter box than you have cats, spread around the house.

Last edited:

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
If you've got an air purifier, try moving it near the litter box. We have two basic high side litter boxes filled with Arm and Hammer litter, and this has been the single best upgrade. We have the Samsung Cube purifiers, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. They have completely eliminated general cat smell with tons of additional benefits. The Samsung Cubes are incredibly quiet, and don't bother the cats either. Kiki also has the long hair problem. Regular backside brushing (be extra careful) or a trip to a groomer can take care of that.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Breathe-free liter system.

We saw it at a cat show and I met the owner. It's all we have used for like 4 years.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
We added deodorizer to the litterboxes and that eliminates most of the smell. It did have a side effect though. My youngest cat is very sensitive to litterbox changes and he immediately pissed on the bed in reaction

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Yeah, I got the app version with a discount so it was the same price. Works fine without the app, just not worth the extra money for that particular version.

The LR app can be nice when I'm not at home. In our case, the app let me know when I needed to tell the relative to head over to take care of the Litter Robot waste drawer. That way she didn't have to visit every day (with her baby in tow) to check on the cat box. Handy for those who go out of town a lot, but not terribly useful now that everyone is home.

Oct 28, 2017
My two year old doesnt mess with it. My cats were like 8ish when we got it, no problems other than one (but she is mostly kept isolated for other reasons, so she never got use to it).
I do see there is a lockout feature on the control pad. My kid may not know how to use it so there's hope!
Can't speak for the toddler, but at least when I bought it they had a generous return policy in case your cat just refuses to go near it. I got a 1 year old cat from a shelter and she used it right away.
Yeah I see the money back thing, I guess paying for the return shipping-only may be enough for me to try it.

Now to convince my spouse we should spend $450 on this...

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The LR app can be nice when I'm not at home. In our case, the app let me know when I needed to tell the relative to head over to take care of the Litter Robot waste drawer. That way she didn't have to visit every day (with her baby in tow) to check on the cat box. Handy for those who go out of town a lot, but not terribly useful now that everyone is home.
My app just randomly doesnt work. When it works, it provides some nice data.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We use PrettyLitter. It's pricey at $22 a bag every 3-4 weeks (you choose), but it's been amazing for us thus far.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5000166010641.jpg
Best and only litter I get. Barely smells (as long as you clean it weekly obviously and daily poop scoops) and the two cats I've had over past five years liked it instantly.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

O98xrnH.png

www.litter-robot.com

Litter-Robot 3

How quiet is it? My cats are a fair bit skittish and I'd rather not have it do a cleaning cycle and scare the bajesus out of them leading to them never using it again. We learned that lesson about 10 years ago with one of the earlier automated models.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I've just started using it so not sure about the long term, but I got some Pretty Litter from one of their IG ads, and so far it really does work like magic, it doesn't clump up urine but instead completely absorbs it. I've literally just had to scoop the poop out, no more huge clumps.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
144725_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1604967714_.jpg

Unless our cat lays down an absolute nuke and does a poor job covering it, this has done wonders for eliminating the smell. As for a litter box, large plastic storage containers work well. Not sure how high your dog can jump, but a tall storage container means the cat has to leap in and out, so there's a very very low chance that they'll be flinging litter anywhere.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

O98xrnH.png

www.litter-robot.com

Litter-Robot 3

Is there a special kind of litter that you have to use with this?

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
naturesfront_2000x.png

40lb bag costs $6 at the co-op and lasts forever, even when I had four litter boxes. Does a great job at absorbing odors, too.

The pellets are chunky until they get broken down, so most fancy boxes that are anything but a liner and tray won't work great with it, but pound for pound it's the most effective and inexpensive litter ever.
Yup, this is the best option. Takes a bit to get your cats to adjust if they're used to cat litter but doable. Took about a month of using less litter each week and more pine for my two cats.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Cute kitty and puppy! We've been really pleased with Boxiecat as a litter, especially the Pro version. We just switched to a litter box with higher sides to prevent litter from escaping the box. The stainless steel is a bit easier to keep clean, too.

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5000166010641.jpg
Best and only litter I get. Barely smells (as long as you clean it weekly obviously and daily poop scoops) and the two cats I've had over past five years liked it instantly.
Seconding this, tried other types but this is the only one they both likes. Downside is the grains getting stuck between their toes and getting spread around the apartment but nothing a broom can't fix.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a special kind of litter that you have to use with this?

Nope. Regular arm and hammer glide litter is what I've used since I got it.

How quiet is it? My cats are a fair bit skittish and I'd rather not have it do a cleaning cycle and scare the bajesus out of them leading to them never using it again. We learned that lesson about 10 years ago with one of the earlier automated models.

It could be quieter, but my cat was more interested in it than scared. Your mileage may vary.

I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment, and it's in the closest one to the Living room. If I have the TV on, I can barely hear it running.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
5000166010641.jpg
Exact same, worth it.
Covers smell well ( sometimes we don't even realise poo is in lol) and easy to scoop.
Only issue is it can get stuck in their paws and you will see loose stones around your house.
Got a robot Hoover so not much of an issue.

We have a ragdoll so long hair, but we get him trimmed around that area every 2 months ( only 8 months so will be more when older as it grows more)
No dingleberries so far. One of the things I am most woried about haha.
We have a well trained cat, he meows before pooing, cleans himself well before leaving the litter and meows when out and done.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
naturesfront_2000x.png

Only problem is the my cats hated it and decided any blanket was a place to pee instead.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Pine litter is great. Absorbs a lot of the stink and can scoop it out easily. Especially if you have a litter box with a collection space below. We have two of those (for three cats).

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Worlds Best Cat Litter (flushable). Put cat litter box in the bathroom. Clean daily (when you use the bathroom). Done.