• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's both. Stay in school, kids.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/female?s=t

But in practical speech, it's awkward. I think it fits better in medical/biological dialogue.
It's both a noun and an adjective from what I can tell

"female
noun
Definition of female
: a female person : a woman or a girl"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/female

So if it's a legit noun then there should really be not much of an issue here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
With a large amount of people who don't speak English as their first language and a bunch of people who take pride in not reading too well to make jokes quickly, I think in threads like these you can't write up a normal 'hey this is weird can you not do this thanks' if you want your point across you need solid examples and a clear straightforward message. The post with the checkmarks is already better but it's halfway down the first page so most aren't going to see it and the threads already degreased into some weird whats a noun or an adjective direction and it all could have been avoided.

Jan 18, 2018
The fact that so many people ITT seemingly can't differentiate between the adjective and the noun might actually explain why this is even a thing.

It's literally 1st grade English! "High level" my ass, kids these days, grumble grumble grumble rant

Do you realize that people from all over the world post here?

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Females is absolutely valid in my eyes, as it correctly describes humans of any age and female sex, whereas women includes only humans of female sex from a (underspecified) age. Same goes for males, of course. I can think of only very few instances, where "females and men" makes any sense (i.e. iff you specifically want to exclude boys, but include girls; though adults and girls would be equivalent). I cannot see a scientifically correct denomination as dehumanising.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I don't even use the word "female" that much in real life. I usually use the words "woman" or "girl" depending on what's going on.

On the flip side... I get referred to as "boy" almost all the time by some of my women friends. Lol
Women tend to themselves use 'boy' to refer to guys more often, especially if they're roughly the same age or younger, same for girls with other women. Girl or boy can be kinda... patronizing if said a certain way but that's a lot to do with tone and context. I tend to use 'men' and 'boys' and 'women' and 'girls' interchangeably. Unless I'm referring to someone middle aged or older and I'll say something more... respecting like gentleman or lady or something.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This has only been an American thing and a largely social media thing. It's a ridiculous thing to get hung up on, especially when women don't see a problem with babe, girl, chick and in many cases bitch.

But, as the landscape of language changes, people have the right to be referred as whatever they wish. If you don't want to be called female, it's no skin off my nose, even if I think the reasoning is silly.

Have to say though, the people who complain about "kid" really have too much time on their hands.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's about not using the word "females", specifically, as a noun during casual conversation as some kind of semi-dogwhistle for saying "bitches". Just look at the results for when you search the word on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=females&src=typd

Seriously though, who the fuck says "females" in casual conversation unless it's some sort of scientific topic dealing with sexes including and/or beyond humans?

As for "bitches", yea, I get that. Even I used to use the term while playing cards with my buddies left right and center a couple of years back. Context and relationship matters when using contentious terms like that.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
what i don't understand is that men also use "woman" in a demeaning way. and personally i've seen "woman" being used offensively more often than "female" so where does this end?

"what a nasty woman"

remember that?

although i do agree that using "female" when building certain sentences sounds super weird

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's like someone listing out enthicities and says, "white people, asians, and... African Americans-"

It's not "offensive" as much as it's overly clinical and shows a lack of experience with the group in question. When someone clearly says African American in my presence as to "not offend me" I roll my eyes a little. Like bruh, just say black people.

Same with "females". Sounds like you're reading a goddamn textbook. Just say women, or girls, or ladies, or etc etc etc.
Right, and I'm all for that, but 'too clinical' is great distance from 'dehumanising as fuck'. I am a human, and as so I am also an animal, a mammal more specifically. For people to be offended by terms because they acknowledge humans as animals is just beyond stupid to me. You're already winning, we're already by orders of magnitude the winning species, do we have to pretend we're not even in the same biological domain? It's absurd.

As for 'African American', as an English person, no one says African European or whatever, so everyone says black here, but 'blacks', even though correct, I would go out of my way to avoid saying for some reason. I don't know why, nor would I use whites.

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck all this "I just don't understand" nonsense. It isn't hard. It's such a weak excuse too. Referring to men as men and women as female has the clear connotation that you're not referring to women as people. Doesn't matter if that's not how you mean it. Learn some intraspection for once.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Why I do it?

Well in the military we were often split and grouped by gender. So someone yelling males or females was pretty normal. Guys and gals, boys and girls were used to. Never gave it a second thought. Context matters.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Wow.

Just wow.

I thought this was a joke thread.

Military background often lends me to say in a descriptive term when it comes to work, though.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Female as an adjective is fine, female as a noun comes off really awkward and should be avoided. Remember, if a Ferengi would say it, you probably shouldn't.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
The "context" here is that a woman is trying to tell you that something is offensive, and that you, as a man, are telling her she's wrong and using the fact that you identify yourself as a feminist as justification for it.

You literally just mansplained while calling yourself a feminist.

I'm sorry, but these types of arguments are a crock of shit. Saying that any random person has carte blanche to change vocabulary, discussion, and dictionary usage based on the feeling of a single person, or a small subset of people. I'm all for advocating for meaningful change or against derogatory language, but this nebulous middle ground requires discussion. It can't just be handwaved away that people who disagree are 'mansplaining'.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
What are you even talking about? There are plenty of words that are used to dehumanize females. "Females" isn't one of them. "Female" can be used to dehumanize someone under the most absurd of circumstances, but at that point any word can.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's like someone listing out enthicities and says, "white people, asians, and... African Americans-"

It's not "offensive" as much as it's overly clinical and shows a lack of experience with the group in question. When someone clearly says African American in my presence as to "not offend me" I roll my eyes a little. Like bruh, just say black people.

Bruh some people prefer being called African American. Most of them older folks who pushed back against being called colored or who got caught up in the 70s new wave of African heritage exploration.

Their kids mostly prefer to be called black as long as those kids don't come from 1st maybe 2nd gen immigrants.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Females is absolutely valid in my eyes, as it correctly describes humans of any age and female sex, whereas women includes only humans of female sex from a (underspecified) age. Same goes for males, of course. I can think of only very few instances, where "females and men" makes any sense (i.e. iff you specifically want to exclude boys, but include girls; though adults and girls would be equivalent). I cannot see a scientifically correct denomination as dehumanising.

No one made the argument "'females' is not scientifically correct".

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
The reason people do this is because subconsciously some men have this weird hang-up about referring to their adult female counterparts as "women." They can't call us "girls" (although many of them do anyway) because a "girl" is usually a young person, so they fall back on "females," which is weird as hell.
This kind of made-up psychological analysis is just as gratuitous and cringey as the phenomenon it tries to "explain".

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a useless English degree, reading through many of the replies in this thread is giving me a nervous tick.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Gender theory meets linguistic prescriptivism. This will be a fun thread!

I would never refer to someone as "a female" because I also think it sounds weird too, but folks here are suggesting that you can somehow infer a whole host of negative personality traits from this, which is not how language works.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Women tend to themselves use 'boy' to refer to guys more often, especially if they're roughly the same age or younger, same for girls with other women. Girl or boy can be kinda... patronizing if said a certain way but that's a lot to do with tone and context. I tend to use 'men' and 'boys' and 'women' and 'girls' interchangeably. Unless I'm referring to someone middle aged or older and I'll say something more... respecting like gentleman or lady or something.

Okay cool. Thanks for providing more info. I never feel insulted when I get called "boy". Its usually said in fun. Lol

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Although isn't there a certain implication when you say men and women? Like if you say women, you're referring to a group of adult females, so it may not be appropriate to use women if you're talking about a group that comprises of both female adults and female children.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you realize that people from all over the world post here?
I'm not gonna accept that excuse when they're already showing rather fluent English ability. Also, adjectives and nouns are pretty much in all languages, so the difference is pretty obvious. I barely know Spanish, but I understand that the adjective "mojado" means wet and isn't offensive. But if I use it as a noun to for a Latin American person, then it is offensive.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should we also stop people from calling men "cats" because it's dehumanizing? I think we have more important things to be worried about.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Just asked my wife and she disagrees with the OP too. I still don't understand how or why it's offensive.

Do you understand the difference between an adjective and a noun?
With a large amount of people who don't speak English as their first language and a bunch of people who take pride in not reading too well to make jokes quickly, I think in threads like these you can't write up a normal 'hey this is weird can you not do this thanks' if you want your point across you need solid examples and a clear straightforward message. The post with the checkmarks is already better but it's halfway down the first page so most aren't going to see it and the threads already degreased into some weird whats a noun or an adjective direction and it all could have been avoided.
This is not an English-exclusive problem.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's really gross

And as a gender non-binary I'm gonna add an addendum: let's take this a few steps further and be respectful in how we gender people in general. Don't always be so sure you've got someone's pronouns right.

Status
Not open for further replies.