• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I have never heard this word used in the wrong way. I've just heard or read "white male" a bunch on the Internet but I guess this isn't a thing in the UK.

The word female, I've only heard or said in person where appropriate.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
CALpssfUkAEWRGT.jpg
First thing that popped up in my head.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
"Female" works as both adjective and noun, but that doesn't mean one should use it as the latter. It's dehumanizing, and a better option is plainly available in the word "woman".

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I've done this before without realizing it and I don't say it anymore, but to make a snap judgement and say it says something about my character also says something about you.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many people ITT seemingly can't differentiate between the adjective and the noun might actually explain why this is even a thing.

This seems like the kind of distinction that requires a high level of English knowledge and not something done out of spite or malice.

It reminds me of how some people get upset when someone says the democrat party. 99% of people don't know the grammar rules behind that

It's literally 1st grade English! "High level" my ass, kids these days, grumble grumble grumble rant

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop calling the NBA, MLB and NFL winners the World Champions while we're at it?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
"she is female" ✔

"she is a female" ✘
God, I hate English sometimes...

I get your female/the female thing entirely (seriously, this post is solid example, and it's easy to understand the situation thanks to it, so thanks for clarifying it), but you gotta admit sometimes form/noun/adjectives gets confusing in English because it is not always consistent. I have to deal with it myself more often than I like because sometimes I need a noun, but a person tries to use and adjective and vice verse.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get it. I wouldn't use it because it sounds kind of stupid, but I don't see how it's negative at all. Women are animals, so are men. Even if you equate to it that, you have to also presume that 'male' is equally insulting, and I can't imagine anyone really does, and the fact that the OP didn't also mention male makes me think that's not the case, which is just confusing.

I'm down for getting rid of jimmies though, that's really dumb. Hot take too while we're at it.

People don't usually like being compared to animals. And again, this is where you're getting into the fact it sounds way too clinical and is about animals usually, which all ties into the dehumanizing part.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound good. In German it'd be like saying "Weibchen" instead of "Frau" and that would sound like you're talking about a female animal.

I struggle with this from a sentence standpoint. Like "women I work with" and "female coworkers" are the same thing, and I say "male coworkers" too. Is that weird? I dunno.
"Female coworkers" is okay though. An issue would be saying "the females I work with".

Oct 25, 2017
México
Everything is offensive these days (well, at least in the USA). Seriously, I don't use the word (English is not my primary language) but I would have never guessed it was offensive.

I don't see why it is offensive. I would use it as a synonym of woman.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely used with intent to dehumanize women for people with that agenda. It's insidious because a lot of other people just use it in normal parlance and don't mean anything buy it. I wouldn't say the term itself is bad but considering how it has been co-opted by people with an agenda against women, it shows a lot of maturity and consideration to just get out of the habit of using it yourself.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
If you're actually a feminist, maybe you should start listening to women when they tell you these things.

If everyone changed their behaviour based on a single persons opinion, we would live in a horribly backwards place. Context is everything. It isn't the word 'females' that's the problem, it's how it's used and the type of people that general use it. This is the first I've heard of this being an 'offensive' term, and quite frankly, i thought this thread was a legitimate joke.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
No. You are not my mother. /:P

Seriously, however, what's wrong with "female" terminology? I am all for eradicating sexism and minimizing gendered pronouns but I have heard sexists use the term "women" during their verbal farts. If this is about grammatical consistency like shown in your previous posts, then yes, I do see it being misused.

So, I will respectfully keep on using the term as long as I am pairing men with women, male with female, male/men or female/women separately when and where appropriate.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
"Female" works as both adjective and noun, but that doesn't mean one should use it as the latter. It's dehumanizing, and a better option is plainly available in the word "woman".

Basically this. "Female" carries the context of a sort of classification. Male too. Which is why "White Male" or whatever is used in that context: you're classifying something.

Calling someone a Male or a Female (as a noun) outside of that context sounds cringey.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Calling women "females" is like calling children "human babies". It just sounds wrong.

Using females as a noun only makes sense in a more objective or dehumanizing environment like scientific research or military.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a feminist.

I don't understand what the heck is wrong with using the term females.
Hmm well my pals and I were hanging out and then this lovely FEMALE walked in What a fine specimen! The MAN next to her reacted the same way

(female is like some kind of objectifying, scientific way of describing a woman, like they're nothing but the check box. The biggest beef, as OP says, is when they call a man a 'man' but a woman a 'female'. It betrays a clearly different way of seeing each person it betrays that you're thinking about them differently, which is problematic. I get it's often used more colloquially, but it's also often not)

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but I was shouted at. I feel some people who use female do it so they don't have to call a trans woman a woman.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get it. I wouldn't use it because it sounds kind of stupid, but I don't see how it's negative at all. Women are animals, so are men. Even if you equate to it that, you have to also presume that 'male' is equally insulting, and I can't imagine anyone really does, and the fact that the OP didn't also mention male makes me think that's not the case, which is just confusing.

I'm down for getting rid of jimmies though, that's really dumb. Hot take too while we're at it.
It's like someone listing out enthicities and says, "white people, asians, and... African Americans-"

It's not "offensive" as much as it's overly clinical and shows a lack of experience with the group in question. When someone clearly says African American in my presence as to "not offend me" I roll my eyes a little. Like bruh, just say black people.

Same with "females". Sounds like you're reading a goddamn textbook. Just say women, or girls, or ladies, or etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.