• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
can i say a game was built from below the ground up? like houses

NoidVoid

Jan 5, 2019
A house isn't built from the ground up? The foundation which supports the slab, framing, roof, and is part of the structure of the house is an integral part of the house — you're definitely stretching on these analogies

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
And if I airlifted a cargo container in, cut some holes for windows and started to live in it am I allowed to say that it was "built" from the mighty above to the sodom below?

Mc.K

May 22, 2020
That's a very specific and trivial concern to be dedicating a whole post to

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
A house isn't built from the ground up? The foundation which supports the slab, framing, roof, and is part of the structure of the house is an integral part of the house — you're definitely stretching on these analogies
i started my house from the roof and then started putting walls, cables, pipes and all that stuff

i'm sorry you're such a building casual

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But, what about "coded to the metal" than ? Even if I am using APIs, these APIs ends to move electrons on silicium. But electrons themselves aren't even "to the metal", it's an electromagnetic field that makes them move, and not even freely. So it's more the metal itself that codes ourselves.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's an expression, you know, part of what makes language richer and more fluid. Not all expressions are to be taken literally, they convey a commonly accepted and understood idea.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Let's get down to the literal brass tacks, and also dig deep underground and get to the bottom of this… game?

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
It's a "stopped clock" is right twice a day, not a "broken clock," god damnit.

If a broken clock lost one minute every hour, then it could be weeks before it told the correct time again.

Don't even get me started on "blood is thicker than water"...

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

What they said.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Seems quite pedantic. Personally I'd consider pouring a foundation part of the construction of a house.

Is a meal not "from scratch" because we don't process the individual ingredients (ie, flour, sugar)?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a metaphorical statement and it's pretty obvious what it means, honestly.

Stop trying to take the colour out of language!

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No.

Also WeekendEra™️ just keeps starting earlier and earlier and I don't like it.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
is complaining about things like this what privileges feels like?

No, but the person who once made a nazi-comparison thread about me but didn't realize I had a Jewish background, they felt privileged that day I'm pretty sure.

And the bosses in Bioshock were examples of bosses who did tell you what to do all the time. Just saying.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Please:

- not even a house is built from the ground up. A foundation with utility and energy conduits is laid first, much of it below ground. Getting this part right is arguably more crucial a feature than proclaiming that building began on the ground and only built upward.

- it is really not how software and systems are constructed anyways. You may start with a core, or with a sub-system, or engine, or pie-in-the-sky idea, but not on the ground. Especially in spacefaring games that allow multi-dimensional orientations (and in space itself, which, hello, has no ground)
c'mon, this is a shitpost right

"From the ground up" has a fairly clear meaning in software development in fields wholly unrelated to gaming, and it very obviously has nothing to do with ground either in-game or IRL. It simply means that the program was built from what is generally understood as the "floor" of practicality (which varies wildly by context as to how much foundation is under that floor) and reused essentially nothing above that floor.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
the only reason anyone would ever say this in regards to video games is when implying they want a video game to be built with the lowest common denominator technology being the newest console. Whether a game does or does not really take advantage of ps5 while being made with ps4, that is up to the devs and fans perception.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is a level of pedantry even I don't get involved with.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the old "living, breathing world" shit that was all over last gen.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deeeeaaal with these games being built from the ground-up?

Why is the ground up? Shouldn't the ground be down and the sky be up? Is the game upside down?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I can understand OP's frustration, and as to people in here asking why it's something to be annoyed with, it actually falls in line with a topic everyone's familiar with and talk about here all the time- game company marketing tactics and how they tend to bend or warp the truth. From bullshots to failed promises, I figured there would be more people with something to say.

If it was a Sterling video would people be more willing to engage with the topic? I can understand not thinking the OP had enough to get a conversation going, but the "what a thing to be bothered by" posts aren't really helping in that regard.

the only reason anyone would ever say this in regards to video games is when implying they want a video game to be built with the lowest common denominator technology being the newest console. Whether a game does or does not really take advantage of ps5 while being made with ps4, that is up to the devs and fans perception.

Yeah this is where I most often hear it, but when it's in regards to an engine that ends up being just iterative and nowhere even close to being a complete re-write etc. is where it's annoying and sounds manipulative.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
People are roughly speaking when they're saying built from the ground up. No need to worry about these things. We're all smart people.