• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So you will only stop/boycott when the feelings/views are revealed? Sure, that makes sense, but when you just _know_ there's an opposite view, like the wrestling example, why not boycott sooner? I guess we all have our lines.

Plus, the product isn't just one person - there are hundreds of others working on it, why let one person make you boycott something?

Again, it's difficult. I'm not in the business of canceling people, and I don't really think it's a thing. My big issue is when someone is given the opportunity to learn and despite that still chooses to be an outspoken bully to disparite communities. For example, JK Rowling.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Woods loves Hades and Kingdom Hearts, he won't refuse.

Also, entering this thread, my first thought was "you can't really fire someone for his political views (as shitty as they are)". Fuck, I didn't know all the other things OP mentioned.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
If Disney really wanted to, they could pay him his fee to get out of the contractual stuff anyways. It's not like he could sue for lost money.

I'b be surprised if 99% of the people who buy this even know who James Woods is or that he is on twitter so it probably isn't worth the cost to them.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Maybe it'll be Habes, Hades' twin brother with a slightly different voice. Also he telepathically absorbed Hades so he has all the same memories and motivation.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, he has gone on record that Hades is his favorite role and he will voice him at any chance he gets, even if he wasn't paid. With Disney's policies on voice actors you are not going to replace him in any Disney media.

Confirmation from a Pixar employee that consults on Kingdom Hearts:

well this sucks. I mean it's a good policy in general, but for this specific situation, it sucks.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This is gonna be a thread full of people learning about how Disney structures it's contracts for voice roles. Cause damn is a recast not really possible unless the original actor goes "I'm good find someone else".

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
If SE wanted to use a god of the underworld character, it could have just used one of its own. Like the Emperor from FFII, Chaos from FFI, the Cloud of Darkness from FFIII, or, heck, even Hades from FFIX. It didn't have to bring back Disney Hades again.

Baffling choice on SE's part

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
As far as I know, Disney contracts state that the OG actor always has the right to reprise if they decide to do so. I think that is why the OG sleeping beauty came back for Wreck-It Ralph 2.

If SE wanted to use a god of the underworld character, it could have just used one of its own. Like the Emperor from FFII, Chaos from FFI, the Cloud of Darkness from FFIII, or, heck, even Hades from FFIX. It didn't have to bring back Disney Hades again.

Disney has been very shy about FF having a much bigger presence in the games since they don't own those characters at all. That, and basically no one who cares about Kingdom Hearts gives a crap about any FF villain that isn't Sephiroth.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So at the end of the KH4 trailer, we see Donald and Goofy walking through a dark corridor looking for someone specific to help them. We see that person when a familiar blue flame appears, and then we see Donald and Goofy being scared by the presence of this unseen figure. It's pretty clear that the mystery character in question is Hades, villain of the Disney film Hercules and one of the few Disney characters to appear in a majority of the series. And for good reason, he's one of Disney's funniest, most memorable villains. With one problem.

His voice is provided by James Woods, an outspoken right-wing shithead who has been extremely vocal with his love of former President Donald Trump and a hatred of all things liberal. He regularly promotes racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic, and transphobic views on his Twitter account, and regularly promoted birther conspiracy theories against former President Obama as well as theories denying the legitimacy of the 2020 election and the Jan 6 insurrection. And even if you don't think that's enough, he's also been accused of sexual abuse by three separate actresses.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest issues is that Disney voice contracts have first right of refusal for the original actor, meaning James Woods has to be asked to play the role, a role he has accepted based on his presence in all previous KH games. But I'm seriously hoping Square-Enix can find some way around this or perhaps drop the character entirely. Because as good as James Woods' portrayal of Hades is, it bothers me that the money I spend on this series goes in part to such an absolute scumbag such as him.

He also tried to lure amber tamblyn across state lines when she was underage.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Square is making the Call on the voice acting of a Disney Character.

It's a usually want to control everything about their characters. So if anything, Disney is the one that should be confronted on the matter.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's the literal opposite of baffling.

James Woods is a piece of garbage and they should recast him if they have the ability to. But Hades is a known and popular character a beloved film that is already part of the series canon and one that has been included in all the previous numbered titles.

It makes complete sense to use him, especially with the speculation of him being a link to the "afterlife."

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I like that in the OP explains exactly why Woods will be in KH4 but then asks for him to be recast anyways.

If it helps, Woods is very unlikely to be receiving residuals or % of profits so your purchase doesn't actually contribute to his pocketbook.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly though…

Why does KH insist on doing the Hercules world. I really feel it's done all it can with it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hoped KH3 would be the last we saw of Olympus because of Woods.

Honestly though…

Why does KH insist on doing the Hercules world. I really feel it's done all it can with it.
There's a decent chance it's not playable. It could just be a cutscene which leads Donald and Goofy to joining Sora at the end of the Quadratum intro.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I like that in the OP explains exactly why Woods will be in KH4 but then asks for him to be recast anyways.

If it helps, Woods is very unlikely to be receiving residuals or % of profits so your purchase doesn't actually contribute to his pocketbook.
It's rare to so clearly see so many outing themselves as not having read the op.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, he has gone on record that Hades is his favorite role and he will voice him at any chance he gets, even if he wasn't paid. With Disney's policies on voice actors you are not going to replace him in any Disney media.

Confirmation from a Pixar employee that consults on Kingdom Hearts:

So I'm guessing Tom Hanks and Tim Allen refused to play Woody and Buzz in KH3.

Though how does this apply to live-action characters like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
The best hope you're going to get is that it's the Hades from the 'Descendants' or 'Once Upon a Time' worlds, or something to that effect.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just assume every single voice actor and actor is a gigantic shithead at this point in time, easier that way.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Generalizations
Like most Japanese developers I doubt they care about James Woods. They all praise and love a literal fascist like Sugiyama.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Simple answer is just find a different villain. There is absolutely no Kingdom Hearts story that absolutely needs Hades from Hercules.

The real baffling part in all this is the fact that KH keeps dipping back into the Hercules well. You'd think Hercules was the greatest Disney movie of all time with how constant it is in KH. 😂

(I mean not that I'd normally care, I always thought the movie was shit on too much and Woods is a legit highlight which only makes how shitty of a person he is suck that much more.)

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If Disney really wanted to, they could pay him his fee to get out of the contractual stuff anyways. It's not like he could sue for lost money.

I'b be surprised if 99% of the people who buy this even know who James Woods is or that he is on twitter so it probably isn't worth the cost to them.
That's not how right of first refusal works.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The real baffling part in all this is the fact that KH keeps dipping back into the Hercules well. You'd think Hercules was the greatest Disney movie of all time with how constant it is in KH. 😂

(I mean not that I'd normally care, I always thought the movie was shit on too much and Woods is a legit highlight which only makes how shitty of a person he is suck that much more.)

I think I've read somewhere that it's sort of accidental, it was in the first one, the sequel expanded it, and due to the film's plot (and KH1's use of it as a training/colosseum space) it's stupid easy to justify using it in each game. Being a lower priority property for Disney probably means they have more leeway with it too. Now that it's been in so many games (I think the only one it's missed is DDD?) it's become something they put in each game on purpose.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Nomura isn't going to write Hades out of the KH series just because his American VA is a shitheel come on now people.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing Tom Hanks and Tim Allen refused to play Woody and Buzz in KH3.

Though how does this apply to live-action characters like Pirates of the Caribbean?
Tom Hanks refuses all side work because it goes to his brother Jim.

Nomura isn't going to write Hades out of the KH series just because his American VA is a shitheel come on now people.
Pretty much this.. his JP VA is fine so they do not care.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
It's incredibly frustrating. With KH3 you could atleast rationalize it has having been writen and planned before the full extent of his shittyness was known but with KHIV...like what the fuck Nomura.

Oh and for the record while it's clear Nomura could take or leave the oc english voice cast the Disney english voice cast has been an active selling point of the games in Japan with Final Mix.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. If they were going to, they would have done it before KH3, and yet Hades was still a major part of the Hercules world in that game.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm sure Disney have enough power to recast him to whoever they want. Like, I can't see a situation where they would keep a problematic actor on new media when it would hurt their brand.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Disney have enough power to recast him to whoever they want. Like, I can't see a situation where they would keep a problematic actor on new media when it would hurt their brand.
I sincerely doubt Disney is willing to get into a legal dispute over a VA role.
They certainly have the money but I doubt it's winning battle for them considering the first refusal contract is given to every single VA they cast and there's no precedent for not recasting due to bad politics.
Woods is playing Hades.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
People are really blaming Nomura for the casting for the english voice of a Disney character ?

Come on guys.
Nomura is not responsible for every decisions in every languages possible of every KH games.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
How did Disney get to recast Buzz with Chris Evans? Is it because it's not the same Buzz as in Toy Story movies?
Not the same Buzz. This is "real life" Buzz not Toy Buzz. I guess its why we didn't get Patrick Warburton in the games since he does Cartoon Buzz.

It's incredibly frustrating. With KH3 you could atleast rationalize it has having been writen and planned before the full extent of his shittyness was known but with KHIV...like what the fuck Nomura.

Oh and for the record while it's clear Nomura could take or leave the oc english voice cast the Disney english voice cast has been an active selling point of the games in Japan with Final Mix.
Nomura doesn't write KH a Japanese RPG based on Western voice actors mate come the fuck on. Nomura has no responsibility here.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How big is the group of people that know who James woods and what his politics are compared to those that do know him but don't know his politics or don't know him at all