• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Ok guys, I have never played a visual novel in my life but I just downloaded and finished the Somnium Files demo and loved it.
Can you recommend similar games?
Are visual novels better on the Switch overall? (got a gaming PC and PS4 as well).

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Everything Steins;gate. You should play them in order of elite, 0, then my darling's embrace (that last one, it's not as dating simmy as it sounds). I guess you can play my darling embrace before 0... it takes place in the middle of elite). 0 is a sequel stemming from one of the bad endings of elite though so it needs to be played after.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
For the love of god, go play the Ace Attorney trilogy right this moment. They're all incredible games in general, and are great for people who've never played a VN before.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Also, I prefer visual novels on the switch because of the portable aspect. Much like a book you can take them on the go, don't have to wait for save points or anything so when you get where you are going or if something comes up its not an issue, and you can play in bed at night, etc.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Ace Attorney Trilogy is a must. Amazing games that flow right into each other.
I played 2064: Read Only Memories Integral earlier this year and quite liked it too. The music is great in that game

Not on Switch but play the Danaganronpa Trilogy on PS4 as well. At the very least give the first game a shot.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney trilogy should be your top priority. I recently went through Raging Loop which was very enjoyable as well.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
VA-11 HALL-A is like on sale for $10 and it's a pretty chill game where you make drinks

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix Wright
Steins;Gate if you don't have access to the other version
Raging Loop
Death Mark
Spirit Hunter: NG

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played AI The Somnium Files but I assume that has a bunch of gameplay segments akin to Danganronpa and such. Here are five recommendations from what I know is on Switch, the first two are safe bets since they have a bunch of gameplay, the latter three are straight VNs (read, keep reading, read some more, make a choice very occasionally that changes the route you are on) so they may not be for you. Depends how much you like reading.

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Ace Attorney Trilogy
Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet
Aokana - Four Rhythms Across the Blue (should be out in English on Switch next year, currently PC only)
Clannad

If you have a laptop I generally find that the best way to play VNs, reading text on a screen of that size generally ends up being most comfortable. That'd also give you the chance to play 999, Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa 1/2.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this counts as a visual novel but I just finished Tangle Tower, a charming murder mystery with great characters, music, and animation. A very fun playthrough if you don't mind solving a few puzzles.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
2064: Read Only Memories and VA-11 HALL-A are must-plays. Eliza is also excellent. Death Mark and Spirit Hunter: NG are great if you're into horror.

If you're amenable, Dream Daddy is also very charming and well-written. I enjoyed it despite not being part of the target demographic.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Definitely the first Steinsgate. Playing 0 is optional in my opinion. It was decent, but overall I was disappointed.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
If you try and like the Ace Attorney series ya might want to keep your eye out for Murder by Numbers and Aviary Attorney ( Switch release next year)

I think Coffee Talk has a demo out on the eshop, but might only be japan only or something lol. Worldend Syndrome has a demo up on the eshop I believe as well.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
you're not going to find better than Ace Attorney trilogy
giphy.gif

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this counts as a visual novel but I just finished Tangle Tower, a charming murder mystery with great characters, music, and animation. A very fun playthrough if you don't mind solving a few puzzles.

Oooh, how long is this? It seems neat and I've not heard of it before, huh.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
It's not on the switch but since you said you have a PC, I recommend Higurashi. It's an absolutely terrifying experience

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Lack of Clannad is disturbing. Clannad, followed by Steins Gate.
I won't lie the price is just too much for me. I have zero problems paying around that price for a VN, but it has to be apart of a series I'm invested in. So games like this I need a sale, but if it hooks me I'll dive into whatever else that dev makes at day one.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney and VA-11 Hall-A are must haves

plus that's like four games and it should get you going
Personally, I can't play more than one VN in a row. While I do enjoy the genre, I need to play other things between because VNs are somewhat limited in the agency that they give the player. Many of them can be boiled down to "Press A: The Game."

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I can't play more than one VN in a row. While I do enjoy the genre, I need to play other things between because VNs are somewhat limited in the agency that they give the player. Many of them can be boiled down to "Press A: The Game."
hm yeah, Press A: The Game doesn't sound fun at all.
I liked The Somnium Files demo because you have more interaction. I'm looking for something similar and most people have recommended Ace Attorney.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Planetarian
Phoenix Wright
Steins;Gate Elite
Raging Loop
Death Mark
are the ones i have
waiting on a sale for clannad and will get AI eventually

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I liked The Somnium Files demo because you have more interaction. I'm looking for something similar and most people have recommended Ace Attorney.
For my taste, even Ace Attorney is a bit like that. There are the investigation sequences that break up the monotony of just advancing text, but I still couldn't play more than one game from the trilogy before I had to break it up with something else.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Get the Nonary Games for your PC. It's pretty good and has more actual gameplay than your typical VN.

Other than that, can't recommend Va11 Hall-A and Ace Attorney Trilogy enough

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
AI The Somnium Files is fantastic, with the caveat that I've heard that the Switch port's performance can be pretty rough at times. But considering the type of game it is, that probably shouldn't be too big of a concern unless you're particularly picky about that kinda thing.

And Ace Attorney Trilogy's pretty much a no-brainer. These games are like AI in the sense that they have a light gameplay component to them, making them somewhere between a pure VN and an adventure game. Unlike AI, these games are 2D and should be perfectly fine on Switch.

AFAIK, Clannad and Steins;Gate are much more pure VNs... so mostly just reading text, with perhaps a rare choose-your-own-adventure style branching choice here or there. Some people love 'em, but they might not be what you're looking for if you find AI appealing. I haven't played those two particular VNs myself, but I found both of their anime adaptations to be highly overrated and fairly mediocre. Maybe the VNs are vastly superior, but probably not.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Check out Worldend Syndrome. I put so many hours into that game and I'd gladly do so again. It's been my favorite so far. I have Stein's Gate, and that's next on my list then the Sominium Fliles.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I've been working my way through quite a few of them this year. I think I own about 20 thus far and here's the notable ones I've played:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS The Awakening of Golden Jazz
AI The Somnium Files
2064: Read Only Memories
Root Letter: Last Answer
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Death Mark
Neocab
Fault: Milestone One
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World

Upcoming games that should be on your radar:
1. N1RV Ann-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action - VA-11 Hall - A follow-up game. Will most likely be fire.

2. Root Film - Successor to Root Letter: Last Answer

3. Necrobatista - This seems to be in the same lane as VA-11 Hall-A

4. Murder By Numbers - Announced at the latest Indie World Direct. 90's vibes. Composer is the guy behidn the Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, and Viewtiful Joe sountracks.

5. Everyone in here is probably waiting to see if Capcom is going to do something with the Ace Attorney IP. So play AA and be miserable with us :)

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ace Attorney definitely has a solid amount of gameplay for a VN. It's got player directed investigation scenes as well as a strong focus on logic based puzzle solving.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything Steins;gate. You should play them in order of elite, 0, then my darling's embrace (that last one, it's not as dating simmy as it sounds). I guess you can play my darling embrace before 0... it takes place in the middle of elite). 0 is a sequel stemming from one of the bad endings of elite though so it needs to be played after.
I very strongly second this.

Also. Nekopara, Ace Attorney, YU-NO, and Clannad. If you want something with more gameplay try Raging Loop and Death Mark/Ng.